First PL Meet?

Thanks for all the help.  I really do appreciate it.

Update:

As I've got four weeks before the first event I'm doing this year, I found a spotter (friendly neighborhood bodybuilder) and found my maxes today:

Squat:  275

Bench:  260

DL:  245

Given that 1.) I'm not going to win anything with those lifts, 2.) I'm okay with that, and 3.) this is my first meet, how would I use that information to plan my attempts?

Right now (since I'm going to continue training and hopefully make some small improvement on each of those before the meet) I'm thinking something like 85%, 100%, 102% for each event.  That would give me:

Squat: 235, 275, 280

Bench: 220, 260, 265

Dead: 210, 245, 250

I'm really sort of suspicious that my spotter for the bench was helping a bit on the way up as that was the biggest jump from my work sets today (+160), but he insisted that it was all me, and I'm a trusting sort (sort of).  I think that in two weeks I'm going to try to hit each of these lifts again to verify that today wasn't a fluke, then taper down a bit so that I'm recovered and ready to go on the day of the event.

Thoughts?

I'd shoot for something closer to 85-95-110 IMO. If that 95% feels awesome, go for broke and shoot for 105-110%. 

Whatever you decide to do for the first lift, it should be something that when you show up to the meet, you can do for a triple even if you're nursing a hangover. Not that this should happen, but it should be guaranteed. ;)

DO NOT keep re-producing your max pr's. Nothing worse than burning out your cns with that crap. You have a good idea of what you can do. Maybe shoot within 10 pounds of the bench to make sure you can hit it, but whatever. 

Relax. Have fun. Don't worry about it. Shoot for 9 out of 9 lifts, and take the 4-5 days before the meet off. Stretch out and foam roll each of the couple days before. Call it good. :)

One of the warrior mini challenges andresses how to approach this, check it out.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

(BTW it's weirding me out that you're benching more than you're deadlifting. What's with that?)

Damned if I know.  I was kind of confused about that too--all I can think of is that I have a fantastically weak back, or by the time that I got to the DL's (it was after a full SL 5x5 workout and working up to my maxes in squat and bench) I was just so shot that I didn't perform as well as I may have otherwise done.

Either way, we'll know in a few weeks!

(BTW it's weirding me out that you're benching more than you're deadlifting. What's with that?)

Damned if I know. I was kind of confused about that too--all I can think of is that I have a fantastically weak back, or by the time that I got to the DL's (it was after a full SL 5x5 workout and working up to my maxes in squat and bench) I was just so shot that I didn't perform as well as I may have otherwise done.

Either way, we'll know in a few weeks!

So...what do you normally do for the 5 reps?

I'd probably redo the bench and the deadlift then.

Ideally you should only go for pr's on pr days. Work up to a heavy single or something. :)

Doing 5x5 + pr's? Dang....

Also on BP, tell your spotter to not touch the bar AT ALL unless your upward motion stops.  As long as the bar is traveling up - even by inches and you are grinding it out - tell him HANDS OFF.  I have to tell spotters this all the time.  If the bar starts going down - take the bar ASAP.  If I say take the bar - take it ASAP.  If I say a little help - just a teeeeny bit of assistance and then it's time for rest or stop.  Be clear with your spotter.  I sometimes use spousal unit as a spotter and I have to lecture him every time to keep his grabby mitts off my bar.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Haha.  I'll have to give myself a couple of days to recoup and try again.  I really didn't intend to do a PR day, but I had the time and a LOT of gas left in the tank after the main workout.

Sometimes I do stupid things.

This is how most of my PRs happen. It's not stupid uinless you're 2 weeks out or less.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

The uniform regulations from lifting meets are mostly to make sure no one is getting an unfair advantage. The skimpy outfits make sure your aren't hiding any clothing that will assist our lift. Making it skin tight allows the judges to more accurately and consistently judge lifts for appropriate depth, lockout and the like.

"I lift heavy things. Sometimes these things are people."

Update:  I'm going to have to wait until July to get my first meet in--the one in June would have been at least a six hour drive, plus registration, plus hotels.  Our Prius (that we just paid off) decided to say "screw this inverter coolant pump" and now we get to replace things.  So, saving money and all that.

Oh well.  I'm more excited about the USAPL meet anyway, and it gives me an extra month to get a few more pounds on.

Update:  I'm going to have to wait until July to get my first meet in--the one in June would have been at least a six hour drive, plus registration, plus hotels.  Our Prius (that we just paid off) decided to say "screw this inverter coolant pump" and now we get to replace things.  So, saving money and all that.

Oh well.  I'm more excited about the USAPL meet anyway, and it gives me an extra month to get a few more pounds on.

Stupid car.  Sheesh.  BUT it gives you time to get your little outfit!!!  It also gives you time to practice in your outfit!!!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Stupid car.  Sheesh.  BUT it gives you time to get your little outfit!!!  It also gives you time to practice in your outfit!!!

Ha.  I've got the singlet already--just have to gin up the courage to be seen in public wearing the damned thing.  On the plus side, it gives me time to test out my 1rm's again and hopefully hit 800 before the meet.

Ha.  I've got the singlet already--just have to gin up the courage to be seen in public wearing the damned thing.  On the plus side, it gives me time to test out my 1rm's again and hopefully hit 800 before the meet.

Ooooohhhhh pics or it didn't happen

Go running in it! That will get you over all issues with it.  LOL

I AM going the distance