• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Junglizer

Junglizer Challenge 2 (RSG BW R1)

Pretty much just a copy pasta of what was in the initial thread:

Name:

Junglizer

Goals:

1) Complete Rebel Strength Guide (RSG) Body Weight Brigade Rank 1 (BWB R1) w/o missing a day. (I need to purchase a pull up bar so I will have to substitute something else in for chin ups the first day or two).

2) Eat lots! (This isn't so much a goal as a requirement to bulk up following the RSG, but I thought I'd include it)

3) Prepare meals ahead of time

4) Clean apartment (& keep it organized!)

5) No more than 2hrs of video games a night (Except on Sunday, b/c I am basically addicted to Minecraft )

6) I'm going to add a goal here. Record a solid mix/demo. One that I am proud to share, and upload here for everyone's listening enjoyment

Specific Diet:

None, trying to bulk up. Eat lots of nuts for snacks and consume lots of whole milk.

Useful Info:

Rebel Strength Guide, Body weight training

Squad:

Yes, absolutely!

Edited by Junglizer
Added a goal!

I have a removable pull up bar, 6 screws into doorframe and done.

Can take it down but I usually leave it up as it has Punchbag holder in it.

I have a second pull up bar but that's mounted at waist height, used to stop

bag swing and do dips, flags etc. That one only goes up at workout time.

The standard one was bout £12 I think.

Cool, I'll have to look around at what I can find at some stores around here. I don't think I can go even with minimal changes/damage to physical mounting. I live in a historical building from the 1900s. It's also got a bit of an odd sized door frame. I know some will fit though, I sort of remember seeing one from a previous tenant when I toured the place.

I have seen one touted as a multiple gym as it works as push up stand,

it fits into most doorways with no fixings, sorta clips on one side with pole other side.

Will try find info for ya :-)

Us ganglies have to stick together :D

Yes we do. I am definitely getting stronger though. I am pumped! Just finished my work out for today (not the RSG one, b/c I'm off to see what the local shops have in way of a bar. I would be interested in seeing the one you mentioned though)

Was only able to do about 4x10 of pushups, if that before. Knocked out almost 4x15 today (well 15/15/10/15). Pretty awesome. Upped all of my other stuff to 15 as well.

I ate a crap ton of food yesterday. Steve had suggested I track my calories/protein and said I would probably be shocked at how low it was. I've taken to drinking loads of milk. Delicious.

I was starting to concentrate more on eating and less on paying attention to calories/protein of the food, but here's what I had to eat yesterday:

Steve's Breakfast shake

Almonds

Massive sandwich (ham/cheese/mayo)

16oz whole milk

6 strips of bacon

16oz whole milk (at least this it was like a 1/4 gallon)

ground beef burrito w/cheese/sour cream

(2x) protein bar (210 calories/14g protein each)

Damn. See all that food and it was only like 2000 calories. Protein was up there though, 140g by my count. All that milk.

I went out to buy a pull up bar. I hit up a Target and got just the generic Iron Gym one. Soooo close, but my doorways are too deep. I only have 2 spots where I can put it. One is the doorway into the kitchen which is like seriously a foot deep. I'll have to take it back. I was taking my trash out though, and I noticed that I just might be able to do them on the fencing surrounding the patio in the back of my building. It's about 7feet high I think. Or perhaps palms out, off of some of the stars in the rear landing. I should be able to do something this evening.

Going to return the Iron Gym one and see what else I can find.

Pretty much just a copy pasta of what was in the initial thread:

Name:

Junglizer

Goals:

1) Complete Rebel Strength Guide (RSG) Body Weight Brigade Rank 1 (BWB R1) w/o missing a day. (I need to purchase a pull up bar so I will have to substitute something else in for chin ups the first day or two).

2) Eat lots! (This isn't so much a goal as a requirement to bulk up following the RSG, but I thought I'd include it)

3) Prepare meals ahead of time

4) Clean apartment (& keep it organized!)

5) No more than 2hrs of video games a night (Except on Sunday, b/c I am basically addicted to Minecraft )

Specific Diet:

None, trying to bulk up. Eat lots of nuts for snacks and consume lots of whole milk.

Useful Info:

Rebel Strength Guide, Body weight training

Squad:

Yes, absolutely!

Great goals! Preparing meals ahead of time for me has been both the best and worst thing ever. Best, because I'm preparing exactly what I plan on eating in advance of the day, which takes much of the guesswork and the "oh darn, looks like i'm going out for lunch today" out of the scenario. It DOES suck though, because a GOOD portion of my evenings are spent in the kitchen. Not that I mind this - I love to cook - but there are so many other things I'd also like to be doing with my limited free time.

Anyway - looking forward to working with you this challenge! Get over to our squad thread and say hi!

Yargh! Did the Rank 1 BW routine last night (No chin-ups though, still looking for an optimal place to do them, or find a decent bar). Friggin' kicked my ass! My legs are nice and sore from all of those squats!

Yargh! Did the Rank 1 BW routine last night (No chin-ups though, still looking for an optimal place to do them, or find a decent bar). Friggin' kicked my ass! My legs are nice and sore from all of those squats!

Don't know what the weather is like for you - do you have a playground nearby? You could probably find a piece of equipment there that you could make use of for your '-ups'

I have a wieder adjustable pullup bar installed in the door to my office. It sounds like the one Spongebob was mentioning above, in that you use 3 screws on each side to mount the hangers, and the bar itself is removeable anytime. When the day comes to remove it the hangers, I only will have 6 small screw holes in the door frame to patch, sand and paint over. Sounds like you're in a position where that may not even be possible though?

Don't know what the weather is like for you - do you have a playground nearby? You could probably find a piece of equipment there that you could make use of for your '-ups'

I have a wieder adjustable pullup bar installed in the door to my office. It sounds like the one Spongebob was mentioning above, in that you use 3 screws on each side to mount the hangers, and the bar itself is removeable anytime. When the day comes to remove it the hangers, I only will have 6 small screw holes in the door frame to patch, sand and paint over. Sounds like you're in a position where that may not even be possible though?

I live in Des Moines, IA. Pretty nice weather this year, already averaging 60-70s. I live downtown and have been keeping my eyes open for everything/anything that I could use for that. It is surprisingly sparse. Mostly parking garages. Could you send me a link to the bar you have? Or perhaps something comparable? I worked at a hardware store for about 4 years, so I'm pretty handy when it comes to patching stuff up if need be. I was also thinking I could possibly modify the existing Iron Gym one I bought. It only needs to extend out another inch or so. Assuming, it's still safe of course.

This is pretty much exactly what I have - except mine's black instead of chrome

http://www.fitnesshomesolutions.com/catalog/item/7961323/8610725.htm

You unscrew the bar to tighten it into the hangers and to adjust for the width of the door frame. Mine came with two sets of hangers, so you can potentially mount the bar at two different heights or locations.

I'm pretty sure I got mine from wal-mart back in the day.

You didnt buy it from s-mart?? Tut tut :-)

Screws used to fix it are only small, any filler should work pretty well

Touche! :P But no S-Marts in my neck of the (back)woods.

(Tried posting from my phone, but it would have none of that!) Score! I was able to find pull up bar that was more adjustable in both height/depth and it's the over-the-door style also. Check it out in this kick ass "Eye of the Tiger" pic:

Posted Image

I bought a jump rope too, but that's less exciting. Who would have thought that I would be so pumped to buy stuff like this! :D

Good work on finding a pullup bar. As a likely-soon-to-be grad student in public history, I appreciate your efforts in not drilling holes in the walls of a potentially historically relevant structure.

How are you tracking your food? I use fitday.com because it's free and easy (in case you're looking for a program). I also recommend 70sbig.com and Epic Mealtime on Youtube :D If you need inspiration to EAT then they should be considered mandatory. Good luck :)

I bought a jump rope too, but that's less exciting. Who would have thought that I would be so pumped to buy stuff like this! :D

I too picked up a jump rope last week but unlike you am very excited about it! I haven't jumped rope in years, so it's uhhh.. an adventure re-learning how to do it properly.

nice find for the pullup bar!

Congrats on the pull up bar, you will love it! One of best buys I made.

I have leather ball bearing type skipping rope, high end kind, but don't use it much coz of my gangly frame.

I look like a flailing giraffe!!

Well I put it to use yesterday. 4 was my max though. I also apparently fail at the close hand pushups. Maybe it's just my form, but I could only sort of get like 2 of those, but I've been averaging about 12 regular push ups per set though.

Ack! Page 4!!! Lets fix that PRONTO.

How's the challenge been going for you? What were the big wins for the week? Big fails?

Do you find that type of pullup bar ever feels unstable, not being physically mounted to anything?

Ack! Page 4!!! Lets fix that PRONTO.

How's the challenge been going for you? What were the big wins for the week? Big fails?

Do you find that type of pullup bar ever feels unstable, not being physically mounted to anything?

Well I'll start w/ the pullup bar. I think it's pretty awesome actually, I never feel that it's unstable, but I think part of that is b/c I have very deep door frames. Probably a good 6"s deep. I do think that this particular one is actually probably a lot better that most. It has sort of "stand offs" or braces, that are pushing against the frame from the side you'd hang on. Unlike most of them which has the bar pressed right against the frame. (You can sort of see it in the picture). I like this b/c it gives you the ability to do wider than shoulder width easily, as well as that's where you'd want your arms for a full-blown pull up. (I can do like half of one). I also think it's partly due to the fact that every wall in my apartment is solid brick and plaster.

Obviously getting that bar (and using it!) was a pretty big win for me last week. I also started to jump on the "crap tons of whole milk" bandwagon. Something I had initially thought I would never be able to do (GOMAD) but I enjoy the taste of milk, and when you put it into things, it's not really a chore. I used to drink a lot of beer, so I just use pint glasses for it. I know that every pint is 300 calories and 16g of protein. I've also been making some more shakes. One for breakfast and one post-workout.

8oz whole milk

1/2 cup oats

1 cup frozen sliced strawberries

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1.5 scoops protein powder

(I think a handful of frozen spinach would be good too, but I'm out)

The one I made post workout today actually tasted delicious, like more so than usual, just like a strawberry milkshake!

I guess my real big win was the progress I made on the eating front. I did really badly on this over the weekend though, and I drank a lot of beer on Saturday night, so that was my only real fail (well crappy sleep schedule also). I found some protein bars. They've got a lot of sugar in them which I could do w/o personally, but they've got 15g of protein and 200 calories per bar, and they taste delicious (sugar obviously helps that). One tastes just like Girl Scout "Thin Mints."

Workout:

I am pretty friggin' pumped about this, I was able to do 2 more chin ups today than I did on Friday. a total of 16 today. Also, i did a few less push ups overall, but they were way way better quality ones. ALL the way down. Pretty much touched my nose/forehead to the floor. I also did a total of 140 squats. (I've been doing my routine as a BW circuit w/ aprox~ 2 minute rest in between.)

So... quick recap, fails = bad diet/sleep on the weekend + too much beer not enough regular food/protein. Also I did really badly on the close-hand pushups. All the time and struggling effort of about 10 to get 2.