*disables cloaking device*

Hello, everyone!

I’ve been lurking around Nerd Fitness for about two weeks now and scoping out the forums for a few days.  It’s all rather overwhelming, but seems really awesome!  Of course I would find something like this mid-way through a challenge, but I figure I’ll use this month to track my normal baselines, which based on yesterday is only about 3000 steps a day and  10 minutes of stretching. Embarrassingly, the stretching is a recent addition to my daily routine. (  >_>)

A little about me: I’ve always been rather slender, but I’ve put on weight over the last few years.  Leaving an immensely stressful job helped me lose a few pounds (goodbye, stress eating!) but my problem is that I’m so utterly weak and overly lazy.  Like many nerds (in my experience at least) I was focused on academics in school and scorned gym class, so I never developed any good exercise habits.  I also have a tendency to give up when things don’t come naturally to me, but fortunately I have become much more self-aware in this regard.  Trying to change a “personality trait†that I’ve cultivated for 25 years now is rough, especially when I habitually would rather be curled up on the couch with a laptop or curled up in bed sleeping.  At least it’s finally clicked that hey, my muscles always hurt because they’re locked into one position (curled up) and I always injure myself when I do anything because my muscles are like those grody dry-rotted rubber bands that crack apart when you try to use them.  So, yeah. Stretching and walking for now, building up to some mild strength training.  I’m open to suggestions/guidance if there’s a better path to follow.

Meanwhile, I guess I’ll keep exploring the forums and try to learn my way around!  I also have to come up with my character sheet…I overthink these things WAY too much!  Picking a half-elf is just too easy when there are so many race possibilities out there!

Level 4 Twi'lek Adventurer

STR: 3 | DEX: 4 | STA: 7 | CON: 10 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 5.5

Current Challenge

Do not betray your fellow bats.  FOTB!

I also have a tendency to give up when things don’t come naturally to me, but fortunately I have become much more self-aware in this regard.  Trying to change a “personality trait†that I’ve cultivated for 25 years now is rough, especially when I habitually would rather be curled up on the couch with a laptop or curled up in bed sleeping.

I understand exactly what you mean, Vortex! There's a lot of things I'd love to get into, but I get so demotivated when I'm not a pro within a week. One of my favorite quotes is by Hugh Prather: "If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." It makes me rethink what I'm giving up -- Would I rather have this skill, or would I rather avoid the work it requires? A lot of the time, I get back to training pretty quick. :)

Walking and stretching is a great way to get your body used to being active again, it's cool to see that you're already making changes before your first challenge even starts. Feel free to run around the forums and say hi, checking out other people's characters and goals can give you ideas. It's geat that you're joining us, welcome to the Rebellion! :)

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

Thanks for the welcomes!

That desire quote is great--I do spend a lot of time thinking about what I want to do and reasearching how to do it, but never actually doing it.   I saw the blog entry on collecting underpants today, and it hit home!

Level 4 Twi'lek Adventurer

STR: 3 | DEX: 4 | STA: 7 | CON: 10 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 5.5

Current Challenge

Do not betray your fellow bats.  FOTB!