Aj_rock's rugby season domination

Welcome one, welcome all, to the highlight of this year. Well, for me anyway. 

For the past half a year, I've sweat, I've panted, I've straight up gone so hard that I thought I would puke and been so hungry that I would eat a head of salted lettuce and enjoy every second of it.

In preparation. For. This.

A new season starts this Sunday for my team, and I've been given the go ahead as starting fullback. Hard to believe I'd only played my first game a scant two years ago, and as a back-up for our second team no less.

So, in this log I'll detail what goes into making a rugby match. From pre game prep, to strength and cardio maintenance. From skill development to skill usage. Injury pre and re habilitation.

Basically, training, working out, games, and strategizing around various boo-boos.

For starts:

Height: 187cm

Weight: 82-84.5 kg (it waffles. A lot.)

Awesomeness: OVER NINE THOOOOUUUUUSAAAAAAAAAND

Ok, let's dive right in!

Got into the gym for the first time in a couple weeks, so I kept it short n sweet.

Squats: 225 X 12

DB BP: 65 X 10

Rows: 190 X 9

inc DB BP: 60 X 9

Chin-ups: 12

Whole thing took bout a half hour. I'll increase both volume and intensity rapidly over the next week or so with full body workouts and I'll think about what I want to do after that.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Training yesterday. Rather less running than I thought, but anaerobic capacity is clearly lagging aerobic by a bit. We'll see how that goes.

Gym today:

No legs. Sore from two days in a row (squats then practice) so giving them a rest. Need to build myself into the full routine.

HS BP: 8 X 238, 7 X 238

Rows: 2 X 7 X 200

Inc DB HP: 7 X 65, 6 X 65

14 chinups

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Friday was off to allow adequate recovery for the game.

Saturday: GAME DAY

Heartbreaking loss. 25-24. Came from behind at 25-10 but couldn't complete the rally. Iffen our team could put together 80 minutes of play like our last twenty, we'd be set.

As it is, personally, a couple preventable errors during the game, but I'm getting the hang of it. Good confidence under the high ball, Broke the line thrice, and prevented all opponent line breaks but one, which was really a misalignment between the wing and I. 

Unfortunately, I seem to have tweaked my MCL on my right knee. Doesn't seem to hold back squatting movements, so I might do that tonight, but no running for another few days at least. Luckily, we have this weekend off for May Two Four Aka Canadian Drinking Holiday (well, they all are, but with camping!)

Monday Workout:

Squats: 245 X 10, 9 (numbers for squats holding up ridiculously well, MCL strain appears to be easing off very quickly, may be due to this topical NSAID my mum had lying around)

DB BP: 75 X 10, 9

Rows: 210 X 8, 7

Inc DB BP: 70 X 9

Pull-ups: 11

Chin-ups: 11

Gewgaw, gimme a recipe for proteinated pancakes and steps 1 through 4 on regrowing a medial meniscus. 

How does all the running from ruggers affect your training on the monday? Do you still have the stiffness coming into the first set? 

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

That's really the main reason I'm working the weight lifting volume in slowly. I want to gradually build my legs endurance until they can take a pounding regardless of the day of the week. Obviously I'll never do 5 X 5 PR squats n deads every mon wed fri, but the idea is to eventually be able to squat and deadlift (same day) for a couple sets each and then run just fine the next day.

This time, legs were a little tight, but nothing a couple jogs around the pitch didnt fix. Bloody cold today though.

Tonight's workout:

Deads: 2 X 315 X 6

HS BP: 2 X 5 X 248

DB Rows: 2 X 85 X 10

Inc DB BP: 2 X 65 X 8

Pull-ups: 13

Interesting thing happened today: Accidently whomped my hurt knee off a corner, but on the outside, and the inside was hurting. Turns out pain still flares on any action that causes the patella to rotate clockwise or otherwise shift it right. Good thing no game, because even though it's mobile I just wouldn't feel good playing on it.

Bloody cold. Its just coming into winter here. Lifting in long sleeves this week. Mind you, your cold, my cold are not the same thing. My cold runs gets pneumonia from yours. 

You're still using the NSAID and getting heaps of mobility on that leg? Don't want you to pulling out of the season one game in. 

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Well there isn't really much inflammation, basically just use it when I do something dumb to aggravate it...

We're headed into summer, so when it dips to around freezing, its like wtf weather?

Workout report:

Squats: 265 X 8, 6, 6

HS BP: 258 X 5, 5, 3

T-bar Rows: 205 X 6, 6, 5

Inc DB BP: 70 X 7 X 2

Pull-ups/chin-ups: 12, 11

Pulls and chins seem to be bugging my right shoulder something fierce thought. Might need to do summat about that.

Knee still isn't right, although it ain't holding the squats back. Moar Nsaids, pressure, and elevation for it.

Took the weekend off for continued knee healage. Workout today:

Deadlift: 335 X 5, 4

HS BP: 268 X 5, 4, 248 X 5

T bar Rows: 210 X 5, 5, 200 X 6

Inc DB BP: 75 X 6, 70 fail, and 65 only got two in cuz I tried to rush -_-

Pull-ups: 13

It felt ok after the last session actually. They'll usually feel fine for the first few reps of pullups and then the shoulder starts losing stability and hurting more. 

Made it about halfway thru practice before being hobbled up by knee instability. Starting to get kind of frustrated, but I know I need to listen to my body. 

Workout report:

Squats: 275 X 6, 6

HS BP: 278 X 4, 268 X 4, 248 X 5

T-bar Rows: 215 X 5 X 2

Inc DB BP: 75 X 7, 60 X 8

Pull-ups/chin-ups: 13, 12

It's weird, because the front to back movement in squats n deads dont bother the knee at all, but plant and turn during a four corners drill and my knee's all 'NUPE!'

'Official' advice from my old trainer is to sit out the game this week and get at least one full contact practice in. Hmph. I'll see how I feel after practice tonight.

Workout report:

Deads: 355 X 3, 315 X 5

HS BP: 283 X 4, 248 X 6, 198 X 7

T-bar Rows: 220 X 5, 205 X 6, 180 X 9

Inc DB BP: 70 X 7, 60 X 8

Pull-ups/chin-ups: 12, 11

Gonna suit up tomorrow. Knee made it through last practice just fine, so I'm gonna make a go ferit.