Aj_rock's rugby season domination

Nope! Knee held up well. The trainer we had taped 'er up noice n toight. Alas, I seem to have pulled a hamstring instead :/

We lost 28 - 8... team having trouble securing ball in rucks. We also lost a lot of scrums, meaning we were on the back heel for a lot of the game. Also meant I had my hands full chasing down kicks and destroying those foolish enough to break the line. Made only two errors however, so it's coming. Neeeeeed moe offense!

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Your forwards getting lazy, not clearing out properly huh. Or did the other team just have good flankers. Or we could just blame you for not getting in there enough and using your super stamina to save the day. 

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Alas, super stamina could not save the day as chasing kicks is really, really tiring. Training for the sort of game would look something like this:

Jog 2 mins

OMG SPRINT SPRINT SPRINT TACKLE

Jog 2 mins

OMG CHASE CHASE CHASE SPRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINT

Jog 2 mins.

It felt like frigging 80 minutes of tabata drill :(

Pulled hammy kept me out of the gym yesterday, and can't practice tonight due to kid sisters 18th birthday. 

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Haha thanks mate!

So I've been sidelined a bit yesterday. Weird ass migraine in the back of my head, like someone's driving a nail into it every few minutes. Took some Aleve on mum's recommendations, seems to do it a bit, at least there's something I can take now. I react very badly to normal NSAIDS like tylenol or aspirin, so finally having something I can use is a godsend. As is, I skipped work out yesterday, but I might try to get in during the day today before practice if the head work clears up before noon.

Alright, I've been silent for a few days, brewing a little bit.

Was pretty sore after the last game, so I was held to one light-ish workout on Wednesday. 

Saturday... I don't wanna talk about. We faced a team with (I think) 6 team Canada ruggers on it, aaaaand the results are predictable from that. Also marks the first game that some cheeky bastard has been shifty enough to avoid my tackles. jklfehjkl;vhsd. Under the bridge now.

Back to work later tonight. Keep in touch.

Monday couldn't work out, tuesday was intense/hyperextended my left elbow a little, so vol/int was a little light today:

HSBP: 268 X 4, 248 X 6, 198 X 10

Squats: 295 X 4, 275 X 6, 225 X 8

Rows (SA): 7 X 90, 10 X 80

Inc DB BP: 65 X 9

Pull-ups: 10

Pistol Squats: 10/10

Work out early-ish today to give more time off before the game tomorrow.

Deadlifts: 375 X 2, 355 X 4, 315 X 6

DB BP: 75 X 7, 65 X 10

DB Row: 90 X 7

Hyperextension started acting up again, so did some incline push-ups and pull-ups and jetted. Will probably need a tape job for the game.

Just as well we didn't actually! Not only did we get our first win of the season, 20-19, yours truly had a hand in the scoring play!

Our OC takes the ball for a nice lil 30m scamper, I and our right side wing keep up for support. Gets gang tackled around the 22, and manages to pop me the ball about five meters back. Scamper around outside only to see we have a nice little two on one with their winger, and the rest is history.

Felt pretty sweet.

No workout today, Blues practice at 6:30. 

Oi, thought you said you'd lost some weight though? :P

Been quite the last week or so. First I took time off from lifting due to the elbow hyper-extension, and without a game last weekend we just cavorted about a bit. Came down ill Saturday night though and to sit quietly and feverishly hallucinate for the last few days instead of being productive though. so

Finally got in this morning, hopefully won't affect training tonight:

Deadlifts: 365 X 2

HS BP: 268 X 3, 248 X 5

Rows: 200 X 5, 180 X 7

Squats: 275 X 5, 225 X 8

DB inc BP: 65 X 8

Pullups: 10

Just trying to get back into it (again...), so a bit more intensity tomorrow night hopefully.

Bah, lost again this weekend -_- beaten by poor shift defense, but it's frustrating. Our coach doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the fact that we have a lot of talented and fit guys playing, but don't have a whole ton of rugby experience. We need more focus on developing these skills instead of running our asses off practice after practice.

Getting a tad frustrated.

We need more focus on developing these skills instead of running our asses off practice after practice.

I feel the same way, especially since I'm apparently maybe going to play wing sometimes if we have lots of forwards and not many backs at a game. Hopefully now that we have more games coming up for the women we'll do more game prep stuff.. :/

I feel the same way, especially since I'm apparently maybe going to play wing sometimes if we have lots of forwards and not many backs at a game. Hopefully now that we have more games coming up for the women we'll do more game prep stuff.. :/

It's something that most EVERY player in the club complains about on occasion, us fit 'uns and fatties alike. It simply makes no sense to not try and develop skills. Guys n gals who want to work fitness and be in prime physical condition are going to do so regardless of club activity. Ain't none of the big guys getting any smaller or faster by running forever, they just end up sitting half the drills out.

My 2c at least (rounded to zero nowadays >.>)

Your 0c. 

If anyone sat out of drills in my old team, they wouldn't hear the end of it from the other players, cultural difference I guess. 

Your backs don't slide? As fullback you need to start getting more vocal then, pull them where they need to be if you see overlaps forming. Use your gift of the gab. 

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

We got in some work with the forwards last night, working out who's going to go where and do what on offense and defence. We're playing on Thursday, but on Tuesday the backs should be getting the same kind of thing. It was definitely helpful!

I've definitely had a few customers who were Americans (going by accent, anyway) who hadn't been in Canada long - I could tell because they were confused about not getting their 2 cents change back :P

Your 0c. 

If anyone sat out of drills in my old team, they wouldn't hear the end of it from the other players, cultural difference I guess. 

Your backs don't slide? As fullback you need to start getting more vocal then, pull them where they need to be if you see overlaps forming. Use your gift of the gab. 

Not sure if it's cultural or just our club. We don't have a full time trainer right now, so if the older guys wanna sit out due to aches n pains, ain't no one around to officially call them out on being pansies.

Trust me, I'm hoarse after every game. The problem was that we had a right-side wing who's literally played his first couple games this season, and he's not gotten the idea quite yet. Some strange reason, we did a heaping of defensive drills on Tuesday... Hmmmmmmmmmm.

But yeah, before they picked out that weakness, we held them pretty well. Then they found it and just kept hitting it the whole first half. Second half was a lot closer though.

We got in some work with the forwards last night, working out who's going to go where and do what on offense and defence. We're playing on Thursday, but on Tuesday the backs should be getting the same kind of thing. It was definitely helpful!

I've definitely had a few customers who were Americans (going by accent, anyway) who hadn't been in Canada long - I could tell because they were confused about not getting their 2 cents change back :tongue:

It's funny, when I practice with the Ontario Blues, they don't concentrate on position specific stuff unless it's specific back plays vs line-outs or scrums. They encourage everyone to just be 'ruggers' in general, which I agree with. A forward should be able to hit a gap off the flyhalf, and a wing needs to be able to ruck someone out. Big emphasis on late runners to exploit out of position defense. How'd you guys do anyway?

We won! 26-27 (two of our tries got held up, or it would have been a bigger margin!). We've done lots of drills with general stuff, but we were getting burned on people not knowing their responsibilities and where to go, for example to set up pods of forwards to either cog or support the backs, which is understandable considering that we have lots of new players/people who haven't played in years/people playing new positions. So the stuff we did was things like setting up pods of forwards on offense to either cog the ball or support the backs, and shifting back and forth to give the scrummie options getting the ball out of rucks (and not piling the entire pack into every ruck :P). Or on defense, how to set up to cover the scrumhalf/flyhalf coming right out of the scrum and if one of them gets tackled making sure the cutback is covered. We kept getting burned on having overlaps and having people not sure of where to go, but we did better on Thursday. :)

That's awesome! So I guess the men's and women's teams have identical win records now :P

Related, practice for us last night concentrated much more on proper defensive formation.  Coach wants to focus on being more of an 'up' defense rather than 'slide', but we'll see how that goes. Nice to have enough numbers to actually run back lines at each other rather than practicing against our own shadows.