I'd only heard rumors... UNTIL NOW!

I'd only heard rumors of this, but it finally happened to me. Drumroll please! ...

Upon performing my last set of deadlifts today (a PR, well over my body weight, whoop!), I made a bigger-than-me guy's jaw drop. Him and his bro. In their frat-tastic bro-tanks and sperrys (in the freakin gym! Really??). So here's what happened: they started out mean-muggin, then switched to that little bet-he-can't-do-it-because-he's-small sneer that I've seen all my life, and then after watching me tear my set up(!), they were in full eye poppin', slack-jawed, straight-up-staring at me amazement. It was AWESOME!! I LOVE it when people underestimate me! So I got some super motivation from a couple haters today haha. What made it even better was that they were on the smith machine lol, poor misguided fellas. Anyway, just thought I'd share! I hope y'all all have a moment like this, because it's fantastic :)

I get that look when people see me Ass to Grass Squat in my local gym. Nothing to do with the weight, People just seem shocked at the Depth, The bodybuilders then to use the smith machine I've noticed an only go down a few inches.

So know the feel bro! -Bro five-

grats

I'm the Guy who lifts stuff.

Bodyfat: 14%   Weight: 74 Kilos

ORM Bench press : 58 Kilos     ORM Deadlift : 115 kilos       ORM Squat : 75 kilos

This is friggin great, post of the week for me. I was in the same place at my last gym (before working out at home) except I was the fat squishy guy. For me is was full depth squatting 3.5 wheels. Keep at it and be friendly and the bros will start high fiving you after sets. Awesome job.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

^^ agreed

good for you that's AWESOME... and it's always awesome to get respect from people at the gym.

but as a random side note please lets not flat out hate on bodybuilders- I have several friends who are bodybuilders- and are awesome super friendly guys.  It's really kind of irking to me to see this holier than thou attitude we have sometimes- there are bad representatives of EVERY type of gym/fitness enthusiast.

I get that look when people see me Ass to Grass Squat in my local gym. Nothing to do with the weight, People just seem shocked at the Depth, The bodybuilders then to use the smith machine I've noticed an only go down a few inches.

So know the feel bro! -Bro five-

grats

Yup, I get weird looks for AtG too. 

-Bro five-

Thanks!

This is friggin great, post of the week for me. I was in the same place at my last gym (before working out at home) except I was the fat squishy guy. For me is was full depth squatting 3.5 wheels. Keep at it and be friendly and the bros will start high fiving you after sets. Awesome job.

Wow! Thanks brother! Yeah buddy, I like that! Of course, I'm always friendly, or at least respectful. Thank you very much.

^^ agreed

good for you that's AWESOME... and it's always awesome to get respect from people at the gym.

but as a random side note please lets not flat out hate on bodybuilders- I have several friends who are bodybuilders- and are awesome super friendly guys.  It's really kind of irking to me to see this holier than thou attitude we have sometimes- there are bad representatives of EVERY type of gym/fitness enthusiast.

Thank you. 

On your side note: definitely not. I have a couple bodybuilder friends myself and they're great, intelligent guys. I would simply state that there is a very defined difference between a true bodybuilder, and a broscience idiot who is arrogant enough to look down on other people in the gym to flaunt himself. I admire and look up to several bodybuilders; I hold nothing against them, and I continue to be humbled by quite a few of 'em. The other category of person, however, I do not look up to. I'll be friendly with them when I can, and attempt to lead them into the light haha, but of course, I do not hate them. I think they fall into the "bad representatives" category, and as such, I only try to build them up, lead them into good representation. I believe in self-improvement, not decadence. 

Congratulations. There is a bro at the gym who loads up the bar, (wears a belt and knee wraps) with 365 lbs and does squats and goes down like 4 inches. I can't do full ATG (ankle issues) but I do break parallel and go down as much as I can. The other day I did 365 lbs for 5 reps for 3 sets and the bro was doing it with that little movement in the rack next to me. He looked at me and said that I need a belt - otherwise I would hurt myself. I pointed at my massive quads and then looked pointedly at his scrawny chicken legs. He shut up. :D

Ancalagon The Black. Half Dragon Spellsword

Congratulations. There is a bro at the gym who loads up the bar, (wears a belt and knee wraps) with 365 lbs and does squats and goes down like 4 inches. I can't do full ATG (ankle issues) but I do break parallel and go down as much as I can. The other day I did 365 lbs for 5 reps for 3 sets and the bro was doing it with that little movement in the rack next to me. He looked at me and said that I need a belt - otherwise I would hurt myself. I pointed at my massive quads and then looked pointedly at his scrawny chicken legs. He shut up. :D

Hahaha that's great! On your ankle issues, have you looked at Mobilitywod.com? I was just introduced to it, but it looks pretty great for aspects of function and mobility of joints, etc.

See, that's not cool. Dude was trying to help prevent injury and in return you were a dick.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

See, that's not cool. Dude was trying to help prevent injury and in return you were a dick.

It really depends on how above mentioned bro said it. If he was correcting out of arrogance, then this reply is blunt, but justified. If he was genuinely concerned, then ya pointing out that guy's shortcomings was a dick move.

Nice Matt!! 

I am the only person at my ladies only gym who uses the squat rack (most of the time)! No lies, i left it with one plate on the one day to test my theory and when i came back three days later there it was on the same pegs with the same plate!! It's great cos i don't have to wait in a queue, but it would be nice if other ppl did it too.

The girls there will pick up a little bar loaded with about 15kg weight and do the fastest everything i've ever seen (they start looking like jumping jacks at some point) but they're too scared to pick up the olympic bar? It's not that much of a difference (only 5kg) and totally doable if they're doing it as fast as that! One of the personal trainers actually uses me (while i'm lifting) to motivate her ladies to give it a go too.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Hahaha that's great! On your ankle issues, have you looked at Mobilitywod.com? I was just introduced to it, but it looks pretty great for aspects of function and mobility of joints, etc.

I am trying. I have broken my left ankle 4 times while playing soccer in high school and it is very messed up. What I really need to do is to institute a rigorous regime of mobility in my daily life.

Ancalagon The Black. Half Dragon Spellsword

Heheh, nice!

Agree with one of the above points on bodybuilder types though, there's a few at my gym who seem a bit scary but are really nice once you talk to them, and knowledgable too.

Good feeling when people underestimate you though, I weigh a measly ~145lb and have surprised a few people a lot bigger than me!

Congrats on the PR too!