I'm a nerd. So, this site has appealed to me at a deep level. Lego's, LOTR, NES, Captain America. Posts using these topics just suck me in. I've been reading this site for a year or so. I'm ready to stop being a lurker and be a participant.

Background

I grew up playing sports, and I got a fair look at weight lifting while in high school (I was on the football and baseball teams). In college, I found a lot of enjoyment in playing Ultimate. Since graduating, I haven't had a consistent plan for working out. Unfortunately, that was a bit over 7 years ago. My diet was what I could get my hands on and into my mouth.

Recently, I have stared making some fitness changes. I, along with my wife, started on a Primal diet (to use Mark Sisson's terminology), which I don't adhere to strictly, but am enjoying. I also started the Beginner's Body Weight Workout and moved on to the Advanced Body Weight Workout (the easier version) (workout tracking).

I've been fairly fit my whole life (thankfulness). My BMI (fwiw) has maxed around 25. I have been married for 6 years and we have two kids. I became a Christian in college. I'm currently watching Lost on Amazon Prime. I slouch in my chair at work, a lot. I am in IT but hope to transfer to an engineering role (to explain, I have a computer engineering and a mechanical engineering degree from Texas A&M).

Going Forward

I want to be stronger. I want more endurance. I'm trying to figure out how to begin the StrongLifts program (logistics and cost being my concerns). I've written up an epic quest of my own, but haven't really embraced it yet.

I'm not sure if I'll get deep into the challenges or live role playing, but I do identify most with the Ranger job and High Elf race. I like to imagine that I'm a real life Aragorn - high human blood, but not living up to his potential quite yet.

And I like being un-trendy, which is kind of close to being rebellious.

l33yore :: Human Ranger :: Level 3

STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 3 WIS: 5.5 CHA: 3.25

challenges: current 2 1 | intro

a christ follower / a husband and father, too / and i do some work

Welcome fellow Christian Nerd!

Oooo, slouching causes spinal problems in the long run. What's your biggest problem with starting the StrongLifts program? If it's cost then Craigslist has a lot of good prices for used stuff, and after Christmas or during the holidays fitness stores have awesome sales.

What are you going to do for endurance? Because HIIT is short, intense, and helps take big steps in endurance. Plus you can use it in almost any workout!

I appreciate the welcome. And the encouragement - 1 Thess5:11.

The logistics are really the biggest issue. I don't have room in my house to setup a power rack. The cost on a home setup is something I could tackle without much issue (I've seen some good equipment on Craigslist that is reasonably priced). As far as gym goes, the extra time to get there and cleanup are significant issues. The monthly fee also is a sticking point. I know I need to just make a choice and dive in. And it will probably be a gym.

I haven't done anything to address endurance. I am interested in HIIT, but I haven't found one I am comfortable with. Any suggestions for someone starting out in this area?

I just threw myself into HIIT. It was mainly bodyweight with crazy exercises! An HIIT workout should only last 10-12 minutes, and I have one that is only 4 minutes. If you want to test the water so to speak, then make your own. My friend BruteSquad and I have making ones up as part of the challenge, and they are only 12 minutes. Heres a simple one as an example:

50 second work, 10 second rest, 12 rounds

1. Bodyweight Squats  2. Side Crunch (right)  3. Pushup  4. Side Crunch (left)

or

1. Sumo Squat  2, Crunches  3. Pushup  4. Squat Jump  5. Burpee  6. Leg Raise

Just play around with it and have fun! See what works for you.

I'm currently doing Steve's adv. bodyweight workout. Would I add this to my off days? It seems like these work the same muscles as Steve's workout. Would it make more sense to do some jump roping or sprinting using the HIIT format?