Blood Sugar Suggestions

I started my 6 week challenge yesterday, followed the meal plan just about word for word and ended up with about 1600 calories for the day. This apparently wasn't enough. Based on my symptoms I believe I was experiencing low blood sugar and that my friends is not a fun experience. Looking for some ideas from healthy eaters or people familiar with how blood sugar works. Anything I can do to help keep that blood sugar stable while still eating less to promote weight loss? Today I'm just adding a bit more portion size to what I already have scheduled to eat getting myself closer to 2000 calories, but I don't know if that's really the solution. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

LvL 2 - Viking Adventurer (Warrior in Training)

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 5 | WIS 5 | CHA 5

Current Challenge ~ Fit Bit Profile ~  Rogue Squadron ~

~ YouTube ~ @JConfidence ~ Facebook ~

Get yourself to a doctor, and quickly, if you think you've had a hypoglycemic incident. No one healthy should ever experience dangerously low blood sugars by simply reducing calories. Without having checked your blood with a meter at the time, or knowing exactly what you've been eating, I can't give any other sage advice except get to a medical professional. Expect to have a full metabolic blood panel drawn and probably a visit to the dietician.

I recently experienced something similar, but it was due to my experimenting with a super-low carb diet. It did not work for my body at all and for my own safety I will never try it again. But I regularly eat a low calorie diet and have never previously had any issues with low blood sugar. Please go see your doctor. That is the only way to really know what's going on.

Did you taste a metalic, coppery taste in your mouth? Weakness and shaky muscles? Those are signs of too low a calorie diet. 1600 seems WAY too low for an adult male who is exercising regularly. You should be around 2000 at least. Have you done your daily caloric requirements math?

For blood sugar... cinamon is fantastic for leveling it out. A tsp or so a day is an excellent thing, I hear.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Went to the Doc in the last 6mo and got all blood work and physical checkup done. Blood sugar problem results were "Maybe" so super conclusive there. Symptoms were shakiness, nausea, inability to focus my eyes, and quite the headache. My wife works some in the medical industry (ophthalmic care) and believes it was a low blood sugar event. Today I'm doing better. Added some healthy snacks to the day to help even things out, we'll see how the day progresses. I did not do any maths, I'll need to go back and find those. This issue appears to be more complicated then first anticipated so I'll have to put some time into educating myself. Thanks for the feedback.

No medications. As stated the Doctor didn't think that was necessary. My blood sugars when tested using the fasting method were "high" but below the danger levels or specifically diabetes. When I did my a1c test I came back average. I can't remember my specific numbers. So based on that I got a "Maybe" and told to work on diet. Less carbs, soda, sugary snacks etc. That's what this eating plan is doing, but apparently doing it too well. Just need to fine tune things a little bit more, bound to hit a few glitches along the way.

Went to the Doc in the last 6mo and got all blood work and physical checkup done. Blood sugar problem results were "Maybe" so super conclusive there. Symptoms were shakiness, nausea, inability to focus my eyes, and quite the headache. My wife works some in the medical industry (ophthalmic care) and believes it was a low blood sugar event. Today I'm doing better. Added some healthy snacks to the day to help even things out, we'll see how the day progresses. I did not do any maths, I'll need to go back and find those. This issue appears to be more complicated then first anticipated so I'll have to put some time into educating myself. Thanks for the feedback.

While I'm glad you had a check-up six months ago... you didn't have these symptoms six months ago, you had them now. I would still be far less worried about you if you went to the doctor. Hypoglycemia is nothing to shrug off as a glitch. It can kill you. And not in the "smoking will kill you slowly and eventually" sort of way, but in the "you won't wake up the next morning" sort of way. Please be safe and take care of yourself.

I have diabetics in my family, and I had it when I was pregnant. Since I was taking insulin, I knew exactly what the symptoms were and what to watch for.

With all of my body changes that have happened in the past 9 years, I can get the same sort of low blood sugar "episodes" now if I don't eat often enough. If I skip a snack, my blood sugar plummets and as soon as I eat something, I generally feel better. Best things to eat for that? Oranges or other fruits with a higher sugar content.

If I remember correctly, you're following the Slim Down Guide in the RSG? The best way to prevent this from happening is to balance your meals with equal protein and carbs from fruits and vegetables, and eat every 3-4 hours. That should get you up to the 2000 calories you need to function as an adult male.

STR 5 * DEX 5.5 * STA 12.5 * CON 7.75 * WIS 7.75 * CHA 3

My Fitness Pal

In the interest of trying to fix the easiest thing first, do you have a food scale? Calorie counting is always an approximate science, If you are overestimating portion sizes through the day, you might be closer to 1000 calories or less which would definitely make you feel off.

I do have a food scale. I did not measure specifically on day 1 which very well could be my issue. I have since started using it to be more accurate on my calculations. Yesterday and Today have been going much better, no further symptoms. Thank you all for the input and concern.