Thoughts on Coconut Flour

I've found some recipes for pancakes made with coconut flour.  They are advertised as a paleo alternative to traditional breakfast foods.  I've never heard anything about coconut flour and I wanted to see what information was out there about it nutrition wise.  

Anybody ever use it?  How does it taste/cook?

Love coconut flour. It requires a higher liquid ratio compared to other flours, but for me it doesn't change the taste of things all that much. I'm kind of a low-taster though. Make sure if you use it you follow the recipes - things can go poorly if there liquid ratio isn't high enough. I use the Red Mill brand because it's easy to find, and much cheaper than almond flour.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Love coconut flour. It requires a higher liquid ratio compared to other flours, but for me it doesn't change the taste of things all that much. I'm kind of a low-taster though. Make sure if you use it you follow the recipes - things can go poorly if there liquid ratio isn't high enough. I use the Red Mill brand because it's easy to find, and much cheaper than almond flour.

No big taste alterations? Sweet, definitely need to be on the lookout for this stuff as I was already wondering about substituting grains but still getting some baking done as it's kind of a family tradition and I'd seriously dig me some pancakes from time to time or nut cake.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

No big taste alterations? Sweet, definitely need to be on the lookout for this stuff as I was already wondering about substituting grains but still getting some baking done as it's kind of a family tradition and I'd seriously dig me some pancakes from time to time or nut cake.

If the recipe doesn't call for coconut flour, definitely use the link katinka posted to convert!

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Ah, was that the paleo snack on marks daily apple recently?  Let me know how they work out because I SUCK at cooking but would be prepared to risk it if they taste as good as they look.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

coconut flour's pretty awesome.  the main thing is that it doesn't quite raise like normal flour, so your food may be a bit denser than it would be with normal flour.

the health benefits are pretty staggering though compared to normal flour.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

Love all things coconut, flour included.

The flour itself doens't have much of a strong taste, and in baked goods flavored with vanilla or chocolate etc you won't notice anything.

BUT if you are making things with eggs as the main liquid, the flour does not much cover up the egg flavor, which might be a problem if you don't like eggs. For instance, I use a great waffle recipe that is 1/4 coconut flour and SIX eggs. Needless to say, I taste the eggs, even over the cinnamon and vanilla extract. Not a bad thing, but I like eggs so its no problem.

Elena's Pantry .....I'll just leave you with that.  Cupcakes..... :redface:  I have switched some of her agave with stevia, so a little tweaking is alright.  She has a Paleo link in her special diet drop down.

Level 3 Pandaren Adventurer

“You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.†–A.A. Milne   (Thanks to magi192 for posting this!)

My thoughts:

If you're doing paleo, use it very little. The occasional baked treat a la coconut flour is totally fine... but there's no such thing as paleo "cupcakes", "pancakes", etc. It's like saying soda is fine because it's made with agave instead of high fructose corn syrup. Yeah, it's better for you, but replacing one for the other is a minor upgrade. 

*gets off soap box*

Otherwise it's delicious.