Martinpanduh's 6 Week Make-it-or-break-it Challenge!

For a complete background on me (lol this is the third time I'm posting this) just check out my page, two challenges ago http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?2080-Martinpanduh-s-Rangerous-February-2011-Challenge

I'm starting a few days too late because work kinda got in the way. Heading to the gym after I write this down so all is going swimmingly. On the 15th of this month, I'm going to start a new job (creative assistant at a local designer's atelier here in Manila) and the hours are going to be strict 9-6, six days a week. The commute from my house to the office is quite the distance so my actual worry now is that I might not be able to squeeze in gym time across the week. A definite fear, especially now that I'm doing so well with my 5x5 workout. If I manage to get home a little before 8pm (Manila traffic be merciful), I'll have little over an hour to do something. If not, I'm dead.

So as of this point, I shan't enumerate my specific goals as yet because a) I don't know what my circumstances will be in a few days and B) it's going to be Holy Week soon, it's basically a nationwide holiday for the Philippines. Kind of like Christmas, everybody just stops work and heads to the beach. It's pretty epic but mostly means a ton of added calories during meal times.

Anyway, I digress so yeah. If circumstances do not permit me to go to my three x a week gym sessions as I did the past few months, I'm going to have to wake up extra early to get in some runs and maybe focus on some body weight workouts. We'll see.

Generally, my main goals are:

1. To continue my StrongLifts 5x5 journey, eventually reaching 300lbs + bar squat.

2. To lose bodyfat through running and metabolic conditioning

3. To continue my Paleo diet, and make healthier choices with regard to sweets and dairy

4. Life goal: to do well in my new (and hopefully long-term) job as creative assistant.

All for now! Can't wait to meet my squad mates, heading to the gym in a bit. See you soon!

P.S

I'm also tired of self-imposed mediocrity, it's either I'm all in or I'd just not go for anything. 100%, let's go.

On that note, killed myself at the gym today. It was crazy, took me under 2 hours to do everything. I know, it's not the usual amount of time I'd like to spend at the gym but completing 5x5 on the Squat right now really demands the rest in-between sets. Anyway:

Workout B

Squat: 5x5 275lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) okay today, I took Medhi's (of StrongLifts) advice and tried to use a weight belt. Honestly, I don't think I could've done everything without it. It kind of changes your form a bit (by just a teensy bit) and I'm hoping it's for the better.

Overhead Press 5x5 90lbs+ bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) heavy, heavy, heavy. Can't imagine my next time.

Deadlift 1x5 240lbs + bar (Total of 3 sets, varying weights) forward we go.

After everything, I put in 3 sets of timed 10 pushups + The Bear Complex with 60lbs + bar. It was hella difficult, especially coming out of that heavy OH Press workout. Clocked in at 8:51. Death.

How are you guys doing?

I'm going to start a new job (creative assistant at a local designer's atelier here in Manila)

Congrats! That's awesome!

it's going to be Holy Week soon, it's basically a nationwide holiday for the Philippines

I never thought ANYTHING would make me want to go back to the Philippines, but damn. Won't be with family this Easter, so I'm jealous!

Congrats! That's awesome!

I never thought ANYTHING would make me want to go back to the Philippines, but damn. Won't be with family this Easter, so I'm jealous!

Holy Week = The beach for us and almost everybody else I know. It's the only time Manila gets to be like a ghost town. Like I foresaw, it was my first day at my new job today and the commute is death. The only time I'll get to exercise is either early mornings or late at night if the traffic is forgiving, but at any rate. This morning:

I put in some 3 x 5 reps of chin ups (I was so sore this morning, I just felt like I had to do something, no matter how small) then I ran for 20 minutes. Haven't ran for a long time, I couldn't sustain my 10kph pace so at the sixth minute, I dialed it down to 8kph but I switched it up every other minute. I think it's time I got my running legs back.

Will update as the weekend comes! Hopefully I get to go to the gym. Cheers :)

Your workout are making me jealous! Way to go!

When does StrongLifts have you drop down to 3 sets? Think you'd be able to attack the weights even harder if you knew you didn't have to spread it out over 5? Even if just on the squats, perhaps...

Keep up the great work, man!

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Your workout are making me jealous! Way to go!

When does StrongLifts have you drop down to 3 sets? Think you'd be able to attack the weights even harder if you knew you didn't have to spread it out over 5? Even if just on the squats, perhaps...

Keep up the great work, man!

Thanks KW! Well to answer your question, he advises people to pare down to 5x3 when you stall twice on a certain weight. As of the moment, I can still push forward with 5x5 and he says just because workouts are super hard, doesn't mean you should switch down the reps. So far I haven't stalled twice yet (YET) so I'll try to push it forward as I can.

Anyway, bad news, I'm sick! I had a fever coming into the weekend and I got out of it with a cough and cold. Annoying! I'm putting myself on a breather the next few days, but more bad news, I'm going to the beach from Wednesday to Sunday. It's Holy Week here in the Philippines and that's like a week long Easter holiday for the Philippines. I won't be able to go to the gym, I'll be eating a ton but hope to offset it with whole days swimming in a pool and snorkeling in the sea.

I'll keep you guys posted (hopefully) but worst case scenario, see you next Monday! Good luck everyone :)

And we're back! Sorry guys, I really feel like I've dropped the ball on this challenge. Not just with the challenge in particular, but more importantly my fitness regimen. A combination of getting sick, a long ass holiday and my new work schedule is hampering my goals. But I may have a solution, let's just hope my boss approves moving my timetable an hour and a half earlier so I can run home and still get my gym time.

At any rate, today I eased myself back into the gym by doing a 20 minute run of 3/2/1 intervals. It's an interval training program I adapted from my rowing days: it's basically going a certain speed for 3 minutes, then up pace for 2 and lastly up pace for 1 minute and then back to original pace. For this workout, I did 8kph/10kph/12kph. Safe to say it killed me.

After that I pulled out some squats. I have to say, I felt like it's been a while that my body wasn't doing the technique correctly. Weird, so I ended up really lowering the weight.

Squat: 5x5 220lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) was fine but technique could use some warming up going into the next few days!

All for now, I really really hope I get to make time for the gym in the next few days with an adjusted work schedule. Wish me luck! This wouldn't really be a problem if my gym didn't close at 9pm, sucks!

Cheers.

Got in some time again today, barely made it. But at least:

Squat: 5x5 230lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) trying to get it back!

Bench Press 5x5 110lbs+ bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) testing the waters, went okay. Technique needs work though.

All for now!

I weighed myself yesterday and the combination of not having time to go to the gym/holiday eating has made me 209lbs. Totally two steps back but not to worry. I'm re-assessing my strategy and game plan for this challenge, I might do a lesser/not as heavy version of StrongLifts 5x5 just so I can put in more cardio time and cross-fit type exercises. I plan to make it to the gym at least 5/7 days in a week.

Yesterday, I did an interval run 3/2/1 for 20 mins 8/10/12kph per minute respectively and then:

Squat: 5x5 240lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) pretty wiped after this.

Today, I did a 20 minute run alternating 8kph and 10kph with:

Bench Press 5x5 110lbs+ bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) went okay.

Rested a bit then did 5x5 of 50lbs + bar Bear Complex with a minute rest in between. Pretty tough!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines