• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

27angel

Non-egg primal/paleo breakfast needed!

I can't eat eggs. In small amounts, when they aren't the main ingredient I can tolerate them, but not as the main ingredient. I knew this before starting a primal diet but decided to try again anyway because they are an easy breakfast when you are in a hurry in the morning. After my last bought of stomach torture I have decided that I need to find something else that is easy for a primal breakfast on weekday mornings.

I know people have said that you can just have leftovers from dinner for breakfast but I am usually eating those for lunch or dinner the next day. I'm trying to have a little variety so I don't get bored and grab something I shouldn't eat. Please help!

Fry up onion, garlic, tomato, lots of spinach and a sausage/mince  (make up your own combos)

Bacon!

Fruit salad with loads of nuts and seeds (I like to add full-fat yoghurt to mine - not strictly Paleo, but I'manewbiewhodusntknowanybetta)

Smoothies with ...ditto line above

Sweet potato waffles! Recipe here

Do you have a food processor or access to almond flour, almond butter, and/or coconut flour? If you do, then a) I'm extremely jealous and B) this opens up a HOST of new breakfast recipes to try out! See these sites for inspiration:

Other sites to try:

Was feeling link-y today :redface::shame:

one thing I would suggest if you are eating for breakfast is to watch both sugar spiking and nutrition that early in the day.

Part of paleo concerns controlling insulin spikes - these leave you hungry, sugar seeking, etc.  You'll do better over the long haul if you can fuel your body to minimize insulin spikes. That means trying to avoid meals of sugar.  A big bowl of fruit and most smoothies are mostly sugar.  Think of fruit more as a dessert.  Eat veggies instead.

Also, since you are starting your day with a meal, you are nutrient seeking.  Put nutrients into your body - protein, fat, etc.  While I do love paleo pancakes or waffles now and then, most are nutritionally minimal and don't really fuel you for the day.  They are a good once in a while treat. 

When I don't eat eggs for breakfast, I eat meat and veg. 

My typical breakfast is fruit salad, 1/4 cup of assorted nuts and a cappuccino made with almond milk to get some protein. Not low carb, but still paleo friendly.

Part of paleo concerns controlling insulin spikes - these leave you hungry, sugar seeking, etc.  You'll do better over the long haul if you can fuel your body to minimize insulin spikes. That means trying to avoid meals of sugar.  A big bowl of fruit and most smoothies are mostly sugar.  Think of fruit more as a dessert.  Eat veggies instead.

As my breakfast usually is nibbled on all the way to lunch, I tend not to have the issues cline mentions here. I agree though that if you don't balance the protien/fat part of the breakfast you will end up hungry sooner.

fruit smoothies w protein powder

protein powder pancakes

sweet potato hash browns

ground beef & veggie or sweet potato hash

greek yogurt & fruit/berries (if you do dairy)

The past two mornings I have had chicken breast that was cooked in the slow cooker and a slice of cheese. It has kept me full longer than I expected. I know I need to add vegetables but I am out of town and I planned poorly.

I had been having greek yogurt with 1/2 cup berries as an afternoon snack but I may start having that for some breakfast on some mornings. I don't think that will cause too much of an insulin spike.

Last night I made a massive (7-8 pounds) amount of breakfast for my wife that is mostly autoimmune friendly. Instead of bacon and eggs, she gets bacon and chicken.  Same dif, right? 

I baked sliced up bacon cut into chunks.  then I cooked a LOT of chicken breast in the fat and cubed them up small.  Added in some coconut oil and some grass fed butter for flavor.  Salt, pepper, and a bit of citrus seasoning for fun.  That's it.  Scoop into cup, microwave, and eat.  

Fry up onion, garlic, tomato, lots of spinach and a sausage/mince  (make up your own combos)

Bacon!

Fruit salad with loads of nuts and seeds (I like to add full-fat yoghurt to mine - not strictly Paleo, but I'manewbiewhodusntknowanybetta)

Smoothies with ...ditto line above

Sweet potato waffles! Recipe here

Do you have a food processor or access to almond flour, almond butter, and/or coconut flour? If you do, then a) I'm extremely jealous and B) this opens up a HOST of new breakfast recipes to try out! See these sites for inspiration:

Other sites to try:

Was feeling link-y today :redface::shame:

This is such a detailed and useful response, thank you!

And 27Angel thank you for posting this, I don't like to eat egg on its own either, it makes me sick. I am just starting to eat Paleo, and a lot of breakfast recipes have a ton of egg in it. I was so lost, and this post helped me. Thank you for speaking up about it! 

Whoa.  You guys are seriously amazing.  A friend of mine is trying to go paleo and he, for some reason, considers me a good resource because I eat gluten-free for health reasons.  We were just talking about egg-free paleo breakfasts.  Who's got two thumbs and is linking this thread?

This guy.

There was suppposed to be an image there, but NF seems to not want me to attach images.  Hmm...

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here so far (unless it's buried in one of the many links) is... fish!

I like to have smoked trout or mackerel or salmon for breakfast sometimes (not every day, given the price, but maybe once a week.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here so far (unless it's buried in one of the many links) is... fish!

because sushi for breakfast just isn't THAT tasty??

but yeah- if you eat fish- it's good for breakfast- I do not  unless it's wrapped in rice and smothered with delicious soy and wasabi- but that's another thread for another day. :D