Free Weights at home...lbs and brand recommendations?

Ok so I am doing weight lifting at home with my cheesy 8 lb weights. I want to upgrade to bigger/better ones, but what is a brand/style that fits well. Also what lbs do you guys recommend to get. I am new to this "at home" workout. I usually just go to the gym but honestly those machines do nothing for me. 

I am about 2 weeks in to doing it, I am 5' 1 1/2" if this info is needed. 

Thanks in advance! 

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase" - MLK Jr.

So barbells or dumbbells? 

honestly, unless you are a serious athele Craigslist is your best friend. Iron is iron so it doesn't much matter. I'd stay away from Cap barbell stuff and stick to anything that is listed as olympic in the ad for barbells. 

Dumbells are pretty standard. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I'll second the craigslist recommendation for dumbells. I'd look for hex-head dumbbells (like this: http://www.hayneedle.com/sale/usasportsbytroybarbellcastironhexdumbbell.cfm?source=pla&tid=TROY094-8&adtype=pla&kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=TROY094-8&gclid=CJqmj_WunbcCFa5j7AodJD8AsQ)

You should target paying $0.25-$0.50 per pound on CL.

My Log

@petekeller

FB

CrossFit Equipment at FringeSport (Founder)

Only one brand for home workout equipment: Craigslist.  Nothing new there.  There are tons of people who purchase exercise equipment only to let them collect dust at home.  Take that for your advantage.

That said, if you want some heavy options (typically for guys, though) and space is an issue, look for adjustable dumbbells.  Run a search for "adjustable dumbbells" on Amazon.com to read reviews... but they're all pretty much the same, too.

However, I didn't heed my own advice when I got dumbbells for my wife.  I bought her the Jillian Michael's set for about $80 incl. shipping because they looked pretty.

| LVL1 | Human | Ranger/Monk | Neutral Good w/ chaotic tendencies|

| Male | 33 years | 5'7" |168 lbs | Right-handed |

| STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2 |

Progress Photos Album

Character attributes: Especially self-critical and self-condemning.  Possesses strong polymathic potential, but circumstances, time and the will toward achieving that potential remain in constant fluctuation. Indecisiveness leads to indecision and determination must be coupled with foreseeable goals. Emotional quotient and empathic ability is high.  However, with indifferent resignation, can be detached from people and places .   

That said, if you want some heavy options (typically for guys, though) and space is an issue, look for adjustable dumbbells.

Bwahahaha.....You've not been around here long. The ladies lift just as hard as the gents!

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Personally, I hunted on craigslist for 9 months looking for PowerBlock dumbbells.

http://www.powerblock.com/prod_homeuse.php

Ended up finding a set of the 5lb - 90lb sets for $275 (retail of $640 + S&H).  So yeah.  Craigslist is your friend.  Also, if you are going dumbbells, I'd highly recommend looking for adjustable ones since you can keep them in a corner.  I know I saw a lot of 5lb - 50lb ones prior to finding the 5lb - 90lb ones.  So if you are looking for lighter stuff your odds go up.  I'm also partial to PowerBlock because they are really simple and durable.  Heard bad things about the BowFlex SelectTech ones.  Heard the adjusters break a lot, but I have no personal experience with that so if you can find a good deal, by all means.  

EDIT:  I realized I do have a friend that has the BowFlex ones and he says they work well.  So might just be some reviews I read.  

Bwahahaha.....You've not been around here long. The ladies lift just as hard as the gents!

Oh, I've certainly noticed that!  Didn't mean to draw a gender line.  If it's any consolation, I found this site and forum through Google and stumbling upon the article about Spezzy and her massive lifts.  I want to be like her when I grow up!

| LVL1 | Human | Ranger/Monk | Neutral Good w/ chaotic tendencies|

| Male | 33 years | 5'7" |168 lbs | Right-handed |

| STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2 |

Progress Photos Album

Character attributes: Especially self-critical and self-condemning.  Possesses strong polymathic potential, but circumstances, time and the will toward achieving that potential remain in constant fluctuation. Indecisiveness leads to indecision and determination must be coupled with foreseeable goals. Emotional quotient and empathic ability is high.  However, with indifferent resignation, can be detached from people and places .   

If craigslist is looking as dry as is it around here, hit up Wally World. When I got started a few months ago I got a pair of dumbbell handles, a cheap hollow bar, some 2.5 and 10 lb plates and got down to work. Since then I bought a 300lb oly set from Dick's, and then tripped over 400 lbs of oly plates and another bar on craigslist for $50. Both of my oly bars are cheap and will probably break at some point with the way I'm progressing, but for the price they were definitely worth it. Whenever you see plates on sale or on CL, snatch them up. Steel is steel, it all lifts the same.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I watch CL, but so far I've gotten all my stuff at Play It Again Sports, do a google search and see if they're in your area. I think they're nationwide, but U.S. only. They had stores in NH when I lived there, and they have stores in AZ where I live now. used weight plates run .55 cents/lb, new plates run .95 cents/lb. The plastic filled cement weights run about .25cents/lb, but I've never bought any. My local store has a fast turnover (and no inventory list online), so you may have to stop in a lot to get what you want used.