B.C. things- men you can pass.

Yeah- we aren't talking stone age here.

Anyone take Depo?  I think I'm re-evaluating this whole period thing.  I skipped mine last month (GO OVER TRAINING) and it was glorious. I'm in love.  I want to keep training that hard just to make it happen again!

I know Depo is one of the shot ones that means you only get your period a few times a year.  and that sounds AWESOME.  

Just wondering if anyone is on any version of that shot or had experience with it.

And I don't care about it might mean you can't get pregnant later- that is seriously NOT a concern for me.  I hate babies... and kids... and pregnancy. ick.

I just want to know if it works on getting rid of my period- that shit's gotta go. 

I was on Depo for 10 years.  I never got a period and loved that, but I did gain a lot of weight.  When we finished having babies I asked my husband to get a vasectomy so I wouldn't have to be on hormonal birth control.  (I suppose I could have gotten a tubal ligation, but it was his turn to actively participate in birth control.)  Personally, I'd rather have periods than have my hormones out of whack.  

I also did the patch (Ortho-evra) for a year.  Although I got periods, they were shorter, lighter, and I didn't feel quite as hormonally out of whack.

I don't recommend Norplant (the implant).  I was totally out of control on that.  Mood swings were awful and I bled heavily and long.

Level 1 Amazon Monk
STR 2|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Haven't tried the shot. I have Mirena right now and it's pretty good. I still bleed, but periods are MUCH lighter. Of course, I've also noticed they are longer too, which kind of sucks. But when it's just spotting...ehhh. Not like I have to go around feeling like I'm wearing a diaper all the time.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

yeah I know BC affects people differently- I was reading today you can just keep going on the pill and never take the placebo and you'll technically skip.

I might try it and talk to my doctor.  I'm sad- mine offically is here today- I was hoping it would just pass by like a ship in the night.  Fucking mother nature is a bitch.   Ultimately I have no complaints- 3-4 days I'm done- 1 heavy cramp day.  all in all it's a breeze- but I HATE it- I hate feeling like this- I hate feeling weak- I hate everything about it.  It makes me fucking angry.  It's one of the few times I seriously detest being a female. it's disgusting. 

Yeah- we aren't talking stone age here.

Anyone take Depo?  I think I'm re-evaluating this whole period thing.  I skipped mine last month (GO OVER TRAINING) and it was glorious. I'm in love.  I want to keep training that hard just to make it happen again!

I know Depo is one of the shot ones that means you only get your period a few times a year.  and that sounds AWESOME.  

Just wondering if anyone is on any version of that shot or had experience with it.

And I don't care about it might mean you can't get pregnant later- that is seriously NOT a concern for me.  I hate babies... and kids... and pregnancy. ick.

I just want to know if it works on getting rid of my period- that shit's gotta go. 

This. I missed mine last month due to over training and diet changes. I still haven't gotten it yet and i am loving it. I will rue the day it returns. It will be a sad sad day in period land. 

I am hesitant to try bc again. Last time i went on it for one month and was in b-mode for the month. Hated everyone and everything. Felt like punching someone every day. Thank god no crying, just super frigging angry ALL THE TIME. I decided enough being miserable and quit it. Odd because i don't remember going through that before.

Anywho i had a friend who did the shot and she liked having no periods, but she did gain weight on it.  It made her hungry all the time.

Level 1 Elf Adventurer STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 4

I was on a 90 day pill called seasonel (something like that) and periods vanished or were just spotting for a day. I just had weight gain and no sex drive because of it.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

I've been on a few pill-based birth controls. I think the first was Yaz or Yasmin (which is lovely to see those ads now, "If you have had a blood clot while taking Yaz, please call Lawyers, Lawyers, and Lawyer for a free consultation!") The Yaz was terrible. Besides the scary pain in my calves (blood clots? am I going to die tonight?), it literally made me into a depressed zombie. It was like I had no brain and it was awful. The next I was on was Loestrin. That was okay and not as bad as the Yaz. I wasn't a zombie but it wasn't great. Now I'm on the NuvaRing. It's pretty great because you kind of forget about it. My periods aren't even tampon worthy. I know that's gross but honestly, it's just spotting on a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning before I put the ring back in Sunday night. It's still not great in terms of mood, but now I'm not sure how much of that is birth control and how much is other mental things I have going on.

One more thing, I hate hate hate tampons and pads and all that shit. Someone showed me Party in my Pants (google it). They make reusable pads that have a cloth side and a kind of nylon side with a snap for "wings". They're great, easy to wash, and perfect for sleeping at night when you're just kind of spotting. I have some of their basic pads but I know they make like super heavy flow pads as well. Anyway, they're worth the $5 investment not to have to buy those horrific plastic pads that are like a trash bag diaper in your drawers. Plus they have cute patterns.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Another for Merina here. I've had it for over a year now, no problems, minimal periods. They're much, much lighter and do skip every now and again. Usually only one day of sluggishness. It is expensive, but it also lasts up to 5 years. Didn't have any weight gain issues either.

Higher dose hormonal BC turns on perma-PMS for me, which is never a good thing. Depo carries increased risk of osteoperosis iirc, but I can't really say too much about it as it wasn't really an option for me. 

Level 2 Kitsune Adventurer

STR: 6 / DEX:  2 / STA: 4.5 / CON:  7.75 / WIS: 6 / CHA: 2.5

First Challenge + MC#1&4

Current Mini-Challenges Complete: MC#1,#2 +.5 CHA&WIS, +1 CON

Inventory: Fire Flower Power Up

Current Challenge

see that's the thing about lighter... it's so fucking subjective. I'm already a 3-4 day at the most (when regularly working out- it's pushing 5 when I am slacking)

is lighter like a day or two of spotting from a normal 4-5 day period?

I DO use my BC for mood control at this point- not almost anything else- I'm regular- I don't cramp too badly- it's just to keep me from going crazy cow lady 2 days before I officially start.   Now I'm just wondering because NOT having it last month was so glorious- I want to repeat that.... I'm with Mariah- I am starting to loath tampons and things- it's just disgusting and a process and I fucking hate it- I feel gross and dirty and ick.  <Shiver>

unfortunately it did officially start today- but still light... hoping it will go away tomorrow!

fingers crossed!  I have to scheudle one of "those" visits with the doc... I'll have to ask about some options.   sohts pills patches- whatever.  hystorectamny- whatever. don't care. 

I actually get cramping and heavier periods when i am on birth control. When i am off birth control i have "lighter periods" (lighter just varies individually) and NO cramping. 

I was on ocella (generic for yasmin) and i don't recall having problems with it. it was my favorite overall.

ALL orthotricyclin bc have been awful for me. Orthotricyclin lo made me gain 20 lbs in 1 month in highschool (so i went from 115lbs to around 130 range.) the regular orthotricyclin made me a raging b-mode for the month i was on it.

The patch= annoying band aid that came off

Nuvaring was fine. 

Loestrin 24fe..ugh i got a yeast infection and urinary tract infection when i started it. my body didnt like adjusting.

Overall i prefer how i am off birth control. However, my god i had AMAZING skin when i was on it. Almost never broke out. it was awesome.

Level 1 Elf Adventurer STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 4

Everybody reacts differently to various bc methods, but I have heard so many depo horror stories that I never tried it. If you have a bad reaction you can't just stop taking it like you can with the pill, you have to wait for it to wear off.

I have taken several brands of the pill type bc. I loved Yaz - seriously it was great for me. I used it to skip periods all the time. My gyno said it was fine to do that so long as you do let it happen now and then to clean out the tissue. Even when I let them happen, they were significantly easier - much lighter, shorter, and zero cramps!

I am a bit older now and stopped taking it. I hate that you have to get a prescription, it's ridiculous. So now my old friend is back. Crampy. Heavy. Way too long. I should buy stock in the company that makes Advil. Meh.

Level 3 High Elf Enchanter in Half-Orc Illusion RAWR!

STR 2.5 : DEX 2 : STA 2 : CON 2.5 : WIS 5 : CHA 3.5First Challenge     Second Challenge     Current Challenge

One more thing, I hate hate hate tampons and pads and all that shit. Someone showed me Party in my Pants (google it). They make reusable pads that have a cloth side and a kind of nylon side with a snap for "wings". They're great, easy to wash, and perfect for sleeping at night when you're just kind of spotting. I have some of their basic pads but I know they make like super heavy flow pads as well. Anyway, they're worth the $5 investment not to have to buy those horrific plastic pads that are like a trash bag diaper in your drawers. Plus they have cute patterns.

This is relevant to my interests!  I'm getting over a vicious bout of endometriosis, and taking Mononessa (generic Ortho-Cyclen) in an attempt to keep my abdomen endometriosis-free.  Unfortunately, I have weird random spotting (hopefully that'll go away next cycle?) and I spend entirely too much money on pads.  So.  Duly noted, much obliged!

I have not tried Depo.

I have tried:

Ortho-Cyclen - works fine

Ortho Tri-Cyclen - week before period becomes Hell Week, and I cry at Blue's Clues (srsly)

Patch - turned me into a hormonal, migraine-having mess, but at least I got boobs (B-cup LOL) and hips out of the deal

Mirena - punctured my uterus, removed laparoscopically

Essure - NO MORE BABIES EVER OMG MY LIFE IS AWESOME but I need some hormones to keep the endometriosis at bay

I've been on the bc merry-go-round for awhile and have definitely found out what doesn't work for me personally. My natural periods are much worse than yours, 8-9 days of going through a tampon and pad just about every hour the first few days. I would have cramps so bad I couldn't stand and often the pain would make me puke. So when I say the side effects weren't worth it for some of these bc methods, THAT is what they're competing with. 

started out on generic yaz, wanted to punch someone the entire month I was on it

switched to name brand yaz, periods were light and cramps were lessened, I did gain a little weight. I used this for two years but had to stop using the pill and switch to a non-daily method because of all the travel I do

went on nuvaring for a little less than three weeks and it was the worst experience of my life. I cried at the drop of a hat, felt like everyone was out to get me, truly psychotic stuff. I also gained more than 15 pounds in that 3 week period. I know people who absolutely love nuvaring, but for me it is the stuff of nightmares.

I currently have a mirena IUD and I absolutely LOVE it. I've only had it 3 months but in that time I've had zero cramping, almost no period (like, if I forgot to put a pad on it would be no big deal) and I've succeeded in losing all the weight I gained on nuvaring. It also doesn't affect my sex drive at all and I don't ever have to think about it. It's perfect. My insurance paid the full cost and my ob-gyn says that within the year I can expect to stop getting periods altogether. Music to my ears.

see that's the thing about lighter... it's so fucking subjective. I'm already a 3-4 day at the most (when regularly working out- it's pushing 5 when I am slacking)

When I say lighter, I mean it went from an 8 day gore filled horror show to 2 days of spotting so light I only see it when I wipe. If you don't mind me being graphic.

"I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul" -WEH

• Current Challenge: The 6 Labors
  • Level 5 Amazon Assassin

BARF.  this shit sucks.

I'm always SO grateful that I don't have the worst most aggressive periods ever.  but I still detest them LOL. 

I think I'm going to talk to my doctor at some point- whenever I go in next- I'm really leery of the IUD's- those just kind of in general freak me out.  The thought of having a semi permanent thing in there- icky.  Sigh.  Looks like trail and error is sort of the way to go on this one- which is NOT my happy happy thought- but I is going to have to be what it is if I want to be done with this.  I know she won't do surgery right out of the box!  (pun totally intended)

The firat time I was on it, I never got a period and didnt gain any weight. I did have a lot of cramping though.

Now I'm back on it, have been for 2 years. I still have no period and don't get cramps this time around either. I do get hormonal when the shot is due though.

The doctor told me to watch what I eat and stay active and I shouldn't have any major issues with weight gain.

When I say lighter, I mean it went from an 8 day gore filled horror show to 2 days of spotting so light I only see it when I wipe. If you don't mind me being graphic.

This is what I've got going on with the NuvaRing. Honestly, I just wear dark undies and if it gets heavier, I keep a backup tampon so it doesn't run through my pants. But it's honestly barely anything, just when I wipe. And I used a light pad when I sleep just so I don't freak out the boyfriend with a potential Godfather wake-up-with-a-bloody-horse-head-in-your-bed situation (my periods used to be like that, ugh).

Also, if I can just rant for a second. It seems like most of the women on here have tried multiple BC methods. Rings, pills, IUDs, the works. It seems like everyone has tried 3 or more brands and kind of settled for what's better than the rest. I'm with I-Jo, if we can put dudes on the moon, why can't we make BC easier? I told my Dr that I felt depressed on the BC and she offered to prescribe me antidepressants. That's retarded. Antidepressants increase serotonin uptake in your brain, but I already probably have enough serotonin, my hormones are just out of control. So why would an antidepressant help me at all? Yeah, let's go ahead and treat the symptom, not the cause (sarcasm). What a fucking twit. She also told me that some women just have mood problems on birth control. So my options were:

1. take antidepressant

2. suck it up and deal with being depressed

3. stop taking birth control and risk getting prego.

She also didn't mention IUDs, which probably would be great for me. 

Thanks for being a fucking useless waste of my time, Doc.

Okay, rant over.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I had to ask specifically about IUDs, it's not a common procedure. I did tons of research beforehand, which I would totally suggest you do if they give you the heebie jeebies. I've gone from wondering why anyone would ever get one to wondering why we aren't giving these to at risk teens. They're truly phenomenal.

"I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul" -WEH

• Current Challenge: The 6 Labors
  • Level 5 Amazon Assassin

BARF. this shit sucks.

I'm always SO grateful that I don't have the worst most aggressive periods ever. but I still detest them LOL.

I think I'm going to talk to my doctor at some point- whenever I go in next- I'm really leery of the IUD's- those just kind of in general freak me out. The thought of having a semi permanent thing in there- icky. Sigh. Looks like trail and error is sort of the way to go on this one- which is NOT my happy happy thought- but I is going to have to be what it is if I want to be done with this. I know she won't do surgery right out of the box! (pun totally intended)

I'm totally with you on this, every month I'm like "I'm so TIRED of this shit!" Got my first at 10, I'm really hoping this leads to early menopause, but I'm not holding my breath... I also feel ya on the no pregnancy thing. While I like kids and would love to have a couple some day, I have no desire to birth them, or have them growing inside of me.

I only just heard of Depo after reading an article in GQ about women in combat, apparently it's a common solution to dealing with this amongst women in the army (I wouldn't want to deal with tampons in a foxhole in the desert either...) I'd be happy to just lose the uterus, but also recognize that's a bit extreme, though would most definitely take care of the problem. I'm still thinking about talking to my doctor about it all too, the debate is mostly because my doctor's a bit useless and it's a hassle to get in to see her, rather than me hesitating to do something about it. The potential side effects scare me a bit too, while it is a pain to bleed out of your crotch every month, it's at least natural (though if I had a chance, I'd punch Mother Nature in the throat for making it that way...)

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

This is what I've got going on with the NuvaRing. Honestly, I just wear dark undies and if it gets heavier, I keep a backup tampon so it doesn't run through my pants. But it's honestly barely anything, just when I wipe. And I used a light pad when I sleep just so I don't freak out the boyfriend with a potential Godfather wake-up-with-a-bloody-horse-head-in-your-bed situation (my periods used to be like that, ugh).

Also, if I can just rant for a second. It seems like most of the women on here have tried multiple BC methods. Rings, pills, IUDs, the works. It seems like everyone has tried 3 or more brands and kind of settled for what's better than the rest. I'm with I-Jo, if we can put dudes on the moon, why can't we make BC easier? I told my Dr that I felt depressed on the BC and she offered to prescribe me antidepressants. That's retarded. Antidepressants increase serotonin uptake in your brain, but I already probably have enough serotonin, my hormones are just out of control. So why would an antidepressant help me at all? Yeah, let's go ahead and treat the symptom, not the cause (sarcasm). What a fucking twit. She also told me that some women just have mood problems on birth control. So my options were:

1. take antidepressant

2. suck it up and deal with being depressed

3. stop taking birth control and risk getting prego.

She also didn't mention IUDs, which probably would be great for me. 

Thanks for being a fucking useless waste of my time, Doc.

Okay, rant over.

Yeha I really don't want to have to juggle through BC and run the gauntlet of side effects- that really scares me a little.  I'm on a greneric Aviane.  I'm have two packs left- I need to call up and see if I can get back more and tell her specifically I don't want to take placebo pills. they typically frown on that- but my give a fuck is small.

I agree- running 3 or more for trial and error given where we are technologically speaking- it's retarded.

I had to ask specifically about IUDs, it's not a common procedure. I did tons of research beforehand, which I would totally suggest you do if they give you the heebie jeebies. I've gone from wondering why anyone would ever get one to wondering why we aren't giving these to at risk teens. They're truly phenomenal.

THAT is really interesting to hear- I'm fairly logical... (still creeps me out- BUT if it gives me all the right things- whatever I'll take it)

Thank you!

I'm totally with you on this, every month I'm like "I'm so TIRED of this shit!" Got my first at 10, I'm really hoping this leads to early menopause, but I'm not holding my breath... I also feel ya on the no pregnancy thing. While I like kids and would love to have a couple some day, I have no desire to birth them, or have them growing inside of me.

I only just heard of Depo after reading an article in GQ about women in combat, apparently it's a common solution to dealing with this amongst women in the army (I wouldn't want to deal with tampons in a foxhole in the desert either...) I'd be happy to just lose the uterus, but also recognize that's a bit extreme, though would most definitely take care of the problem. I'm still thinking about talking to my doctor about it all too, the debate is mostly because my doctor's a bit useless and it's a hassle to get in to see her, rather than me hesitating to do something about it. The potential side effects scare me a bit too, while it is a pain to bleed out of your crotch every month, it's at least natural (though if I had a chance, I'd punch Mother Nature in the throat for making it that way...)

lol we should have optional uterus removal.  why is this so serious!!!  

lol we should have optional uterus removal.  why is this so serious!!!  

Supposedly you can get a partial hysterectomy too, where they leave the ovaries in place but take out the uterus, which is supposed to ensure that your hormone levels stay normal and you go into menopause naturally, since the ovaries produce most of the hormones anyway (though I think the uterus makes some too, just not as much). I didn't realize this was an option 'til a coworker mentioned it, if it really works the way they say it does that seems like the best of both worlds to me. Still extreme, but somehow in my head that's a better option than taking shots or pills or sticking things all up in there for months/years at a time (which may make me weird, I dunno...)

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

If right now you have 4 days of light bleeding; I'm afraid the cons will outweigh the benefits by large ...

Mirena IUD has a bad name in Europe as it's been linked with depression, anxiety, and weight gain ... NuvaRing, Depo, implants are linked with depression and weight gain - massive weight gain for implants ... hysterectomy, even partial, is linked with increased risk of ectopic pregnancies which can easily kill you  and - wait for it - right - weight gain.

All of these do apparently work for some people but for each of these, I've personally heard a story that put me off completely.

I'd say if you feel very strongly about this, try what works for you if you can afford it - everything except the implant, it is actually possible to "lose" these when they wander in your body, making you irrevocably fat and infertile for a long time. 

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 DEX 7 STA 8 CON 1 WIS 9 CHA 3

challenges 1 2 3 daily battle log

6 months goals

I know that Mirena (and other IUDs) are generally recommended for women who have already had a kiddo or two. Something about the way the anatomy changes. Most docs wouldn't suggest them for women who haven't had kids.

I use seasonique, and it works well for me. I had one really hellish period during my second 3-month pack, but other than that I typically have one manageable 2-day period (I go through a regular tampon in about 4-5 hours and have mild cramping that 2 advil every 8 hours will fix) every 3 months, and might have 2-3 days of super duper light spotting right in the middle of the pack. The only side-effect I noticed was a slight discomfort with my contacts for the first few weeks.

But BC is one of those things that every woman responds to differently. It probably is a try and see sort of thing. And unless you're just in hell or in danger or killing yourself or someone else, I would give it a few cycles to level out. Hormones are powerful and finicky fuckers.

I was on a 90 day pill called seasonel (something like that) and periods vanished or were just spotting for a day. I just had weight gain and no sex drive because of it.

Same here. Six months ago I switched to something called Tri-Nessa. Hate having a period every month again, but sex drive improved and I came out of a fog I didn't even realize I was in. Suddenly I was picking back up old hobbies, feeling a bigger range of emotions, and leaving the house more frequently. To compensate for the monthly periods, I've started doing things to make it not so bad. Diaper cream to avoid pad rash and I've started wearing comfy spaghetti strap shirts from old navy under baggy shirts instead of wearing bras during the week the ladies get swollen/tender. 

PaNtInApRoViNa

level 2 Halfling warrior

STR 4.5 | DEX 4.25 | STA 3.5 | CON 12.5 | WIS 3.75 | CHA 2

Fitocracy