• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Katinka

Lifting and Hunger

When I do a heavy lifting day, I spend the rest of the night really, really hungry. One day a week I do my heavy lifting around 7-8pm and go to bed by 10, so that day isn't as much of a problem; but if I lift in the morning or afternoon, I can't seem to stop eating! For nighttime workouts I have a protein shake afterwards; afternoon workouts are followed by dinner and then an evening protein shake, but it doesn't feel like enough.

So, any advice? I feel like I'm undoing all of my hard work by eating a 5th meal on the days I lift earlier.

Do you know how much you're eating, calorically? That's totally a word. 

And how long has this been going on? It usually takes a few weeks to get used to a new eating regime. 

I know when I work out in the morning- even if I have my regular food- I am still hungry all day long.  It just makes my body go crazy.

Figure out what you are eating and how much you need to increase. 

I'm the same way when I work out in the morning.  However I only workout in mornings, way less people in the gym. Since I work out at the University I work at, less students in the mornings.  I've noticed, especially recently, that when I really hit it hard, I'm eating all day the rest of the day.  Despite having a protein shake and protein bar in my truck on the way home from working out. 

I am always hungry all day after I lift on Monday because its the only day I lift around midday. To satiate my hunger I usually mix a very small bowl of coconut oil macadamia nuts almonds butter and about 15 dark chocolate chips microwave it and and snarf. After than with a normal meal of meat and veggies I am good till dinner. The key ingredient here is the coconut oil. It really fills you up. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-wonderful-world-of-coconut-products/#axzz2XBKDPgmT

Eat, eat eat!!! If you are working out heavy enough, your body will tell you, quite loudly, that you need to feed it to keep the machine working. If you don't feed the machine you end up just consuming that muscle you are working so hard for. Make sure you eat right before bed after a lifting day, too. That is when growth hormone and subsequent anabolism is at its peak.

The only way to know if your eating enough is to count your calories. If you are losing more then two pounds a week then You need to up your calorie intake. Also keep an eye on your macros because I you are severely lacking in one your body will keep telling you you are hungry in an attempt to get what it needs

As a felame I have this problem too, it's like 24 hours of ridiculous hunger after I lift. I've just gone with the "eat as much meat and raw veggies as you like" theory, your body is hungry because it is trying to rebuild. I've also discovered that this happens when I don't drink oodles and oodles of water. The water is a big help to curb the hunger

I am definitely way hungrier after i workout!! However I have found that it is getting better then when I first started - Or maybe i just have a little more control over it, got used to it, or am eating better i dont know! I think having a protein shake after definitely helps me out - even if it is mostly just all the water that i have in them

If you want, my suggestion would be do IF (Intermittent Fasting). Do a fasted workout so that you can somewhat "pigout" after your training without having the guilt.

(Take note of the "Pig Out". :) It still has to be reasonable)

Watching your calories is a good idea but it's not necessarily the best thing to do because you burn so many when you workout and your muscles need the calories and protein to synthesize and build muscle. They however have to be clean and healthy calories, I'm not saying go treat yourself to a big mac and fries.

If you're hungry, eat.  It's that simple. Feeling hungry and not eating is not really a sustainable thing to do because you'll be miserable and cave eventually, probably when other parts of your life get stressful.  It's even worse if you're lifting heavy and not eating, because it makes lifting harder, and lifting is hard enough as it is.

Just make sure you eat good foods.  I know everybody wants to talk about how Paleo/Primal/vegetarian/pescetarian/fruitarian/etc. diets are the key, and if one of those works well for you, great.  But the big key is to eat whole foods (non-processed foods).  If you work out hard and eat whole foods when you're hungry, you'll likely get the results your after.

How long have you been lifting? If it's been less than 8 months you might consider bulking until then. Cutting becomes waaaaaay easier the more muscle you have. I've been lifting for 10 months and started my first cut last week, 3 days into cutting (technically 2 if you consider a Saturday of awful eating) I'm already one more hole into my new belt.

There's also the option of not working out while cutting. I'll be cutting for two or three weeks, let's see how things turn out.

I follow the Paleo plan which makes it harder because after a day of heavy lifting, I'm hungry right after that and the next day I get hungry even after eating a good meal. I always stick to lean proteins and veggies no matter what. I'll have a fruit in between but only in the morning to keep my energy going. Fatty oils in your food will do your body justice as you're intaking the healthy fats which your body needs. And I snack on almonds, cashews, and basically any nuts except for peanuts which is a legume. I'm still learning as Paleo is hard at first, but easier as you do it and come up with a routine. Eliminating all the processed foods, processed sugar, wheat, dairy and legumes has helped me burn fat. I learned that you can indulge in lean proteins and veggies which is the best part of Paleo. I hope this helps! :nevreness: