Alecto's Allied Assault Squad

Runners? Now I'm scared...

I just snowed last night (in April!!! where am I?), but it's supposed to be warm again come the weekend. Today is exercise day though, so I'll be doing that later on.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Stats as of July 25:   STR: 9.5   DEX: 5.75   STA: 7.5   CON: 15.25   WIS: 6   CHA: 8.5

Achievements:

Tough Mudder CO 2012 (4hrs)

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

Runners? Now I'm scared...

I just snowed last night (in April!!! where am I?), but it's supposed to be warm again come the weekend. Today is exercise day though, so I'll be doing that later on.

You're scared by runners? Me too! (I'm not sure how I'm on this squad as I'm really not a runner, but whatever. :) )

As luck would have it, I stepped on a nail head last Saturday. Thinking it was a pebble, and without looking down, I then tried to kicked it away. Yeah. Blood and skin everywhere. It got me right at the base of my middle toes and extends into the pad.

So I haven't been able to run yet in the challenge. Been keeping up with the 100 pushups though. I did 38 in the week 2 exhaustion test, so I'll be moving on to rank 3 of Week 3 tomorrow night.

One of my other goals was to get my garden finished. I hammered in the border around the veggies on Tuesday, and I spent this morning loading rocks into my jeep for an island I dug in my yard.

This is what 300lbs of rocks looks like:

Posted Image

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Week 1 is nearly over. How is everyone progressing towards their goals?

My garden is about 75% done. I need to hammer in the border around the strawberries (as well as get a few more to plant), put down landscape fabric around the roses, and find a new plant to hang from the trellis we have for a couple of climbing plants (including another, climbing rose). I relocated some more sod, so the rest of the month will also include a lot of watering for those areas in addition to the garden. We're due for some rain the next few days, so I setup the rain barrel and put it on some cinderblocks.

My foot is still a bit sore, but after doing about 2 miles of biking yesterday to take my son and his friend to the park, I'm ready to run on it again.

Tonight will be Day 2 of Week 3 of 100 pushups, plus more strength work with resistance bands and a tabata tempo.

I've been on-diet, though had a bit more alcohol than I want to have on a regular basis.

I missed 1 day of exercise last week, though I did have an 8-mi hike up to 7800' on Sat - ended up not making the summit because it's still snowy up there, and my KSO's don't have much traction...

I went to a group interview/seminar at the local Apple store yesterday, and am filling out my LinkedIn profile now...

Level 5 Human Ranger

Stats as of July 25:   STR: 9.5   DEX: 5.75   STA: 7.5   CON: 15.25   WIS: 6   CHA: 8.5

Achievements:

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

I ended up having to spend about 2 hours in the yard after work yesterday, so I skipped the run in favor of mowing, setting up borders, watering, and stomping on sod.

Today, DOMS is kicking my butt from the workout on Sunday night...you know the drill...where you walk around with your arms slightly bent at the sides because you can't fully extend them.

Tonight will be Day 3 of Week 3 of 100 pushups (~120 pushups in all), there will be more strength work tonight as I get back into a regular program.

Week 2 drawing to a close. My first goal is done - garden is complete. There's a bonus goal I'll have of getting the rose plants laid out with landscape fabric and then a rock border.

100 Pushups goes well, and I just did Week 4, Day 1 (21, 25, 21, 21, 32+), managing 34 on the 5th set while my son squeaked by with 32 on the nose.

I have yet to run. It has been raining every day for the last 4 days, and it is forecasted to rain everyday through Wednesday. I'm hoping we'll get a break where I can go get a couple of miles in.

I have a temp job lined up, and 2 promising interviews I'm waiting to hear back from.

One company was really moving fast. I had a phone interview with the recruiter last Wed, a phone interview with the manager Thurs AM, and an in-person with the manager and 2 others Thurs PM. So fingers crossed!

It's not desktop support, but it's tech, and it'd 5 blocks from my house, so it'd be a great job.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Achievements:

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

Hey guys! I'm sorry - I've been a bad squad member, because I didn't realize I was in one yet! Due to some personal conflicts this isn't a six week challenge for me so much as a three week challenge that I'm starting full force the beginning of May, so I haven't made much progress on any of my goals. But I should still be here supporting yours!

67alecto - I think your gardening goal is awesome! I would love to have a garden and grow things, but I don't have a yard since I live in the middle of a 60+ floor building (31st floor, to be exact). I've thought about trying to grow some herbs or flowers indoors though, when the weather starts letting actual sunlight in through my windows.

jacoblee - Good to hear you're sticking with the diet okay. I'm starting the paleo diet next week. Having a job 5 blocks from your house is great, I hope you get it.

How are the rest of you doing?

MyFitnessPalFitocracy | Twitter | Email

Niente è vero, tutto è permesso.

I guess I should put an update on this thread.

Things are going well for me.

I've heard that I'll get re-hired for summer (these assistantship gigs are always on a semester by semester basis) and my other life goals are going pretty well.

As for fitness goals, I really need to nail down my diet, it has gotten too lax now that I've gone from Paleo to "Healthy Bulk Up", and I have a good bit of trouble getting my calorie count up high enough. I am, however, seeing progress in strength, muscle definition and posture. So, no complaints from me.

Week 4 completed of 100 Pushups.

29, 33, 29, 29, 40+ (I did exactly 40 before collapsing, my son did a few more, but his form was pretty bad, so we're calling it 40).

We'll do our Week 4 exhaustion test on Saturday or Sunday.

We're actually forecasted for sun the next two days, so I'll be running at least one of them. I also got invited to a 5k on 5/14. I need to scope out the course to make sure it's not too hilly.

Ran a 5k tonight. First time ever.

Did it in 36:12, which works out to an overall pace of 11:39.

Now, I'll add 3 qualifications to that - I was sore from doing 160 pushups yesterday, I hadn't run in 5 weeks (I got a 2.25 mile jog in while in California, but every since weather was cold, raining, or I was working on the garden, and with both of those in mind, my overall goal was to complete the distance and not worry so much about pace. I checked it at the 1 mile mark - I did that one in 10:50, but then didn't check again.

So, now I have the mental hurdle cleared...I CAN run 3.1 miles without stopping.

I got a real job! I had the interviews last Thurs, then heard back Tues afternoon. It's a Customer Tech Support position, so not exactly what I want (Internal Desktop Support), but it's a start on my new career path. I'll be making the same amount as my last job, even though I've jumped industries, so that's a huge awesome! I start May 9th. This was a major stress issue for myself, and my gf. She was worried because we'll be moving in together at the end of the summer, and me not having stable finances would put a lot of stress on her for the rent and everything.

So yay!

Congrats Alecto! Knowing you can is the biggest part of it.

Manveru - Kitchen herbs are a great place to start, not to mention major cost-savings over grocery store prices. Make sure you grow enough; my roommates and I managed to strip 2 basil plants down before they could grow back...

Good job everyone!

Level 5 Human Ranger

Achievements:

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

jacoblee - Congratulations on the job! That's awesome! That'll relieve a lot of stress for you and let you focus on other things (nothing seems quite so urgent when you are trying to find a job).

Also, I've thought of growing some kitchen herbs to start, especially since I don't have a yard to grow anything in, small plants would be best for indoors. I've also thought about growing some flowers over by the windows.

So, my challenge really started a few days ago, and it's going so/so so far. I'm trying to keep up with a paleo diet, but these last couple of days I've gotten really depressed and had chinese food (which was not satisfying, btw, and totally not worth it, but I did it anyway). I've found that when I'm just eating meat and veggies, I don't end up overeating, and I don't feel sick after meals, but my job has been terrible this week. It's been so stressful and busy that I feel physically exhausted by the end of the work day (which is bad, since I spend that time sitting at a desk), and I have dark circles under my eyes all day. Hopefully it'll clear up after this week, but this just has not been a good week for me.

MyFitnessPalFitocracy | Twitter | Email

Niente è vero, tutto è permesso.

Do or die time - my 5k is tomorrow. Picked up my race packet yesterday, which included a surprisingly nice shirt (made of the same wicking material in some shirts I already own), a few coupons, my race number, and a timing chip for my shoes.

My heavy resistance band also arrived this week, and I had my first session with it last night. Big difference over the medium band. Really felt it in the bench and overhead portions of the tabata.

Did the 5k. Official time was 36:51, which was good for 134th out of 188.

However, I started my stopwatch as soon as I crossed the starting line, and when I crossed the finish line, I was right around 36:20. The discrepancy was from 250 people (188 5k runners, and 70 10k runners all bottlenecked at the finish line, I guess. We had radio chip tags on our shoes, and I assumed the time would start when we crossed the starting line...apparently not.

The hills that didn't look too bad in my jeep were freaking brutal on the ground. I was behind a guy with a shirt from some marathon, and I kept expecting him to take off. After about half a mile, I realized he was running with a friend. I stuck to them since we hit the first mile marker at a shade over 11 minutes. No problem.

Then we hit the hill. That guy was like a metronome. I kept up with him to the top of the hill and then I had to walk. I walked along the top of the hill, and resumed running as it started to slope down. I caught up to him around the 2.2 mile mark. We were on another gradual incline, and I had to walk again.

At the 2.4 mile mark, I started jogging again and finished with a little bit of a kick.

I really want to do another 5k that's on a flat course.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines