Paleo Meat

Autumn08

Hey gang! So we have been doing Paleo/Primal for a little over a month and love it. I am curious about meats though as most anything I find has something processed of some sort in it. I did find bacon that was pretty clean (had a few 1% or less of things) but what about things like breakfast sausage or meatballs that I see in recipes? Also even meat from the deli has stuff in it...am I missing something or is this where the 90% comes in to play-just eating as close to clean as possible? Thanks guys!

~Be in Love with your Live

~Live your Dash. Live Inspired

You must decide the person you are. I am not a failure, I do not give up!

Hey gang! So we have been doing Paleo/Primal for a little over a month and love it. I am curious about meats though as most anything I find has something processed of some sort in it. I did find bacon that was pretty clean (had a few 1% or less of things) but what about things like breakfast sausage or meatballs that I see in recipes? Also even meat from the deli has stuff in it...am I missing something or is this where the 90% comes in to play-just eating as close to clean as possible? Thanks guys!

I try and go with as few ingredients as possible, and ones that I know what they are. I try to avoid chemical ingredients, and added sugar. I don't normally do meat from the deli, because it has stuff added to it, or is expensive. Having said that, yea just eat as clean as possible. If the thought of not using deli meats is too overwhelming for you right now, that is fine, there are no Paleo police.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I don't eat deli meat, make own meat balls, am beyond careful about sausage (buy only certain ones at WF)

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

See if you can find a local butcher.  They might have less ingredients,  Also, as we process our own pork, we get ground pork and uncured hams and bacon, so we don't get whatever solution they use.

Level 3 Pandaren Adventurer

“You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.†–A.A. Milne   (Thanks to magi192 for posting this!)

I just don't take my paleo that far. I use deli meat, grocery store stuff. Sure, grass-fed is probably better but I just can't justify going that far.

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

I have been having this debate with a few of my coworkers.  I am currently doing the whole30 challenge, and they are interested in it.  They find recipes that are "paleo-ifying" things that aren't necessarily good for you.  Like Paleo Brownies (Check out Whole30 SWYPO for a humorous explaination on paleo-ifying).  Lately they ask me where I buy my meat.  I don't buy meat, or at least, I don't go to the store to buy my meat.  I already have a freezer full of meat from the steer and the hog that we processed.  I raise my own eggs, and I am getting ready to raise my own chickens to butcher. 

My standard response is this:  Follow your own path.  Just because I do it this way, doesn't mean you have to.  Make smart decisions based upon what you have available to you. 

One last thing... you sound like you are doing GREAT!  You are questioning things that have become conventional!

I try and go with as few ingredients as possible, and ones that I know what they are. I try to avoid chemical ingredients, and added sugar. I don't normally do meat from the deli, because it has stuff added to it, or is expensive. Having said that, yea just eat as clean as possible. If the thought of not using deli meats is too overwhelming for you right now, that is fine, there are no Paleo police.

Elastigirl... hehehe... paleo police.  I imagine them to look like this:

drag-9428203229_thumb%25255B6%25255D.png

Level 2 Satyress adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 7|CHA 6

First Challenge:  Disney Song Playlist (April 15th, 2013)

Second Challenge:  Better late than never (June 6, 2013)

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra

I also dont do deli meats. I cant afford grass-fed so i just stay as clean as possible.

Sometimes I get those rotisserie chickens from Sam's Club, then I saw that they have other ingredients besides chicken. Im guessing its just seasonings and i dont eat the skin, but It made me feel mentally sick. Its still probably better than cold cuts.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

Thanks guys!! I started on uncured bacon this week (wasn't a big bacon eater to begin with) and it's good! As for deli meats-I don't get the kind on the grocery aisle, i have them slice them for me at the counter...I know it's not 100% clean but I am okay with that one. We have been picky with the rest of our meats...grass fed only, nothing too fancy etc. I will look into a recipe for meatballs...I can't do a butcher..I am weird (very weird) when it comes to me putting 2 and 2 together...yesterday this was Piggy Will-today he is my porkchop...makes me ill so I don't think about it. haha

~Be in Love with your Live

~Live your Dash. Live Inspired

You must decide the person you are. I am not a failure, I do not give up!

meh- do what works for you.

Seriously- I HATE reading forums where people are like- TECHCNIALLY that's not paleo. 

step off buddy- I got your paleo meat right here... (grabs for my... wait... not appropriate....)

The closest thing to "paleo meat" I can get is something stupid like 12-15$ a pound.  Really?  I eat 2 packs a chicken a week- + steaks... that's going to be 60$ in meat alone.  I can't afford that.  Right now I"m between 50-75$  A WEEK in grocery bills.  Seriously- cannot afford it. 

Just do what works- and don't sweat it. 

Try localharvest.org for a source of local grass finished meats direct from the farmer. And become one with your freezer :-) 

We just did something we said we would never do... We bought 2 steers to raise up for beef. When we got rid of our cows we swore we'd never get any again but we need something to eat the less than wonderful hay that got wet this year so need some cattle. Our plan is to sell one and keep one for ourselves. 

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I've also come to the conclusion I'm just going to have to get the best meats available and forget having like grass-fed etc. I have a family of 6 and our WEEKLY grocery bill is in the $200 range, no way I could afford the extremely expensive stuff. I also don't have a freezer, nor room for a freezer, nor any whole foods type stores within an hour of me. I feel as long as I'm trying my best to eat more healthy and be more concious about what I'm eating, and also doing some type of exercise every day, I'm going to be more healthy. I might never look like Gerard Butler in 300, but let's be honest. That's an unrealistic expectation for a family man on a low budget anyway.

Lvl 1 Orc Adventurer

Str-3 Dex-2 Sta-2 Con-3 Wis-3 Cha-2

Current Challenge

I've also come to the conclusion I'm just going to have to get the best meats available and forget having like grass-fed etc. I have a family of 6 and our WEEKLY grocery bill is in the $200 range, no way I could afford the extremely expensive stuff. I also don't have a freezer, nor room for a freezer, nor any whole foods type stores within an hour of me. I feel as long as I'm trying my best to eat more healthy and be more concious about what I'm eating, and also doing some type of exercise every day, I'm going to be more healthy. I might never look like Gerard Butler in 300, but let's be honest. That's an unrealistic expectation for a family man on a low budget anyway.

In agreement here. You are still making better food choices. This is what we started out doing. Now my son has moved out, so its just food for the two of us, and we were able to buy some grass fed beef.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27