Hi everyone, I need a little advice with my running. Every other day I run between 3 and 5 miles and I have little issue for the most part, but I'm starting to get pains in my right shin, just when I'm running, not sure what it is or how to prevent it,

Thanks for any advice guys!

Werebadger adventurerStrength - 3Dexterity - 2Stamina - 2Constitution - 4Wisdom - 1Charisma - 3

Shin pain is generally an overuse injury when you're pushing beyond your limits.  When I start developing shin pain, I'll start icing my legs after a run.  Make sure you're doing a good warm up and cool down along with the run itself.

I am having the same pain. I'm not even running yet, just walking/jogging intervals. What is a good warmup and cool down to do?

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.†― Henry Ford

Epic Quest

First Challenge          Second Challenge         Third Challenge

I find with my clients that its generally from heel striking. Make sure you aren't over striding and that your foot is landing under you, not in front of you. Try running in place for a minute just to get a feel for what it should feel like when you're actually running.

-- I have no idea what's going on here. --

RRCA Certified Running Coach / NCCPT Certified Personal Trainer

I find with my clients that its generally from heel striking. Make sure you aren't over striding and that your foot is landing under you, not in front of you. Try running in place for a minute just to get a feel for what it should feel like when you're actually running.

Took the words out of my mouth. Also, uphill running can help stretch and strengthen the right muscles, tendons, etc

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Agreed!  A great way to help fix this issue is also to build up the muscles on the front of your shin (yes, there are muscles there!).  The best way to do this is when you're sitting (and barefoot), put a towel under your foot and bunch up the towel using your toes only. Do this a couple times a days to help build that muscle.  Another good way to help develop this muscle is to straighten out your leg (when sitting), point your toes and write out the alphabet in the air.

Hope that helps!

Kruser

Fleet Footed Wood Elf

SCOUT

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 5 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 0

I was getting shin pains when I wasn't wearing the right shoes (note; converse are not good for running in) so I went and got fitted for a pair of running shoes and the pain stopped immediately

'I'm not worried Harry, I'm with you' - Albus Dumbledore - HPatHBP

Level 0 Blob Warrior
STR 4|DEX 3|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 1|CHA 2