Greetings!

As is clear, I am new here. I found out about Nerd Fitness through a link to Staci/Spezzy's story (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/). For me, it completely hit home.

I'm 23 and from Denmark. I'm studying Medialogy at the University of Aalborg in Copenhagen, and I'm currently finishing up my first year, with exams coming up in June. After that I have 2 months of summer vacation, which I have decided to dedicate to improve my health. I want to see how far I can get before my 24th birthday in December.

I don't know what I weigh, as I don't own a scale. All I know is, I can't fit into the majority of summer clothes I packed away six months ago, and my stomach is now bulging out over my pants lining. My sides bulge over my favourite pair of jeans. My thighs and butt don't fit in any of my shorts. In short, over the last couple of months I've realized that if I don't change things, I will end up overweight like both of my parents. My mom in particular is having some issues with her blood pressure, from having a stressful job and being overweight.

I don't want to be like this. I'm no super-model potential, but I'm a pretty girl. I clean up nicely, and I *know* that I could feel so much more confident about myself. I could look *that much more amazing*. And not only that, I could *feel* that much more amazing. I'm tired of being tired, I'm tired of a flight of stairs winding me, and I'm tired of giving up before even trying. I don't think I've ever done a proper push-up. Well, now I want to. And I want to do more than one.

I guess I'm saying, I've had enough and I'm here to learn. I want to learn to change for the better, and I want to become stronger, both on the inside and on the outside. I'll be reading a lot more here on Nerd Fitness in the coming days! My first focus will be to improve upon my eating habits, and to find out how I can motivate myself to exercise more.

Don't wish me luck, just let me know that I've found the right place to learn! ;)

- Liv

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart.

Level 1 Adventurer, Human

STR 1|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 4|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

First challenge!

Tumblr food journal

you've found the right place to learn.  there is plenty of info between the forums and the various articles.  I am also in the same boat when it comes to pushups.  I also have made on a friend on here doing the same.  You might want to try inclined pushups- like using the end of a bench or couch, taking a big step back and going from there.  The more you do those and tighten your core, the easier it will get.  6 weeks ago I could do 2 'desk-ups'.  Today I can do 18.  It's slow going but I keep trying to push myself more.  Once I get to 20, I'm lowering the incline and using a step stool pushed against the wall.   Once I get to 20 of those; I'll be ready for regular pushups.

It's all about the consistency.  I've been tired of being tired as well.  You can do this if you stick with it.  for more specific advice, you might want to launch yourself into the other forums around here.  There are cardio fitness boards, weightlifting boards, diet boards; whatever you are looking for; there are friendly people around.

First step would be to create specific and reasonable goals.  Perhaps after that, you might want to check out the next round of 6-week challenges.  I'm a satyr adventurer myself, so I'm around the adventurer's forums.  welcome!

Thank you! For some reasons, push-ups have just become my "white whale". So I really feel that if I can get to a point of doing, I don't know, 20? I'd be able to do anything.

I did want to join in on the 6 week challenges, but seems like one is running right now. I'll try to come up with some good clear goals, and if I keep them, I'll be ready for the next round of challenges.

I was trying to look at the different "classes", to try to find out which way to go. I ended up picking "Adventurer", because none of them mentions swimming. I think swimming might be a good way of training for me, as it is an activity I enjoy in itself. However, I do realise that I'll probably benefit a lot more from it by also doing some strength training. I'll be starting out with purely body exercises, to get used to setting aside the time, and then I'll take it from there.

I think my main priority is to try to correct my eating habits first. If I can learn to eat better, hopefully I will get some more energy for training. I'll be sure to start easy so I don't break my neck. I'll check out the various forums to see what I can use from there. :)

----------------------------------

EDIT: I actually paid for the basic guides, and I've decided to start with the basic training guide. I'll spend today (it's 4 AM right now, staying up late, crap) on researching healthier recipes and maybe do some grocery shopping. Monday I will buy a jumping rope!

First challenge!

Tumblr food journal

well adventurer is good because it is moreso the 'newb' class.  It is all about trying to get plans for diet and exercise.  So it's the class that is trying to get the basics/foundation all set up.  After that, depending on your exercise goals or diet changes, you would probably switch to something else.  For example I realized I wanna do heavy lifting so I would be a warrior.  I also want to do some agility/cardio.  So doing both would be a scout/warrior mix. I'm an adventurer now since I wanted to get my diet all set up.  Diet is 80% of your weight loss/gain.  The exercise is the other 20%- a bonus to help speed up the process.  If you just neglect diet and instead think you'll 'make up' the difference by working out more- not even close.  some dishes at applebees are 1000 calories that can be eaten in 20 minutes.  going on a treadmill at about a 2.5-3.0 speed for 45 min can do about 300 calories.  So that means about 2 1/2 hours to maybe burn off 1 crappy meal.  Now try and do that everyday- it just isn't feasable.  You can't outrun your fork. 

anyway, welcome to the group.

also, their is an easy way to see what class/race you are.  There's a little quiz:

http://darkfriends.fr/nf/index_prod.php

Satyr Adventurer for me.

I liked that test! It said I was a druid, but I don't know anything about tai chi or yoga. I did do some ju-jitsu some years back, and would love to pick it up again once I regain some of my confidence. I think I'll stick with being an adventurer for now. Maybe I will try to learn some more about yoga when I'm feeling up to it. My current goal is to change my snacks to be paleo (such as carrots, broccoli and chicken), and to get started on the basic training program, and keep it. 28 weeks!

To be honest I was a bit dismayed, I hadn't realised that after 28 weeks, it would already be December, and close to my 24th birthday. But I will have to pace myself, so I don't burn out. I'll just hope that the basic training works out for me, and maybe combine it with going to the local swimming hall, perhaps once a week or so to start with.

First challenge!

Tumblr food journal