Went "Berserker", and got KICKED OUT!

DISCLAIMER: this includes "offensive" language, idgaf.

Little background info here, I'm living in Colorado for the summer, working, and trying to save as much $ as possible. That being said, I workout at the "fitness center" of my apartment complex. Little tiny weight room, waay too many treadmill warriors and not enough lifting.

So what happen wuz...

I go in, headphones in, ready to go, gonna set some new PR's, psyched up for my lifting session. I warm up, and begin my PR work set. I do 5 sets of 5 reps every workout, and I'm on set 3 when I stall halfway up on a squat. In that moment, I thought of the videos I'd seen of Arnold lifting, and he sure as hell didn't give up when it hurt, so I went berserker. I let out an animal growl, and finished the last two reps in my set. (Woot)

After that, the berserker didn't wear off. I'd felt this before. Back in high school I did some lifting, and sometimes I'd get into this zone, where I was an animal in the gym, practically superhuman it felt like, lifting heavier and longer and harder than I ever thought I could. My workout partner never could understand how, and I still don't. I attributed it to my pre-workout powder (a now banned Jack3d original; sons of bitches, I loved that stuff). Now, however, I don't use any supplements, so apparently I can unleash this completely naturally, which is awesome (woot)

So, I continue in this elevated state, thru set 4 (woot), occasionally growling, etc. Then on my last set, it got hard as hell, so I roared if you will, on my middle two reps. Then, on my last rep of my last set, as I'm driving up with everything I have, somebody vigorously pokes on my back. I roared again, finished my rep, completing my PR (woot), and whirled around at who the hell just nearly wrecked my last rep.

It was some managerial crone who had apparently been scolding/ talking/ yelling at me for a while now, meanwhile, the rest of the weight room is staring with mixed expressions from contempt to shock. So I take out my earbuds, and the first thing she says is: get out. I said excuse me?? She says, you need to leave right now, because YOU'RE DISTURBING THE FITNESS ENVIRONMENT. Wait. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?? I laughed and said pardon me ma'am, but I AM the fitness environment. If you couldn't hear your reality TV over the sound of my working out, that's too damn bad. She said thats very funny but that i was an insolent shit, and I had to leave or my fitness center privileges would be revoked. Well that set me off. I launched into how ridiculous that was, how idiotic a policy that was, how the "fitness environment" she spoke of was bullshit, etc, etc. And I'm not leaving till I'm done. And then returned to my workout. She left... AND RETURNED WITH SECURITY!! Two fat guys with mall cop written all over em. Well I didn't want to fight em, so I left with the "security" telling the center how fucking stupid it was haha

I will return tomorrow, and tomorrow is a PR deadlift day, so they're in for a real treat ;) I'm very darkly excited. So, a PR thru and thru, discovery of a lasting animal berserker mode, and getting kicked out for being too intense. Woot, woot, and woot, bitch.

LOL can't wait for the follow up of how you get kicked out of your apartment complex. 

Although to be fair- i'd be pissed if someone was making a bunch of growling grunting centers at my old apartment complex workout thing- it was maybe 50 x 50- MAYBE.... so it would have filled the whole room with at an obnoxious rate. 

Well son, you were an insolent shit. ;-) Rawr mode isn't for social interactions more sophisticated than chest-bumping. Find a black iron gym.

That, is a good point sir haha. Well, i realize that now, and I'll be learning how to control it, but in the moment i was in a less than rational mindset. What is a black iron gym?

did someone say angry baby eating music and going berserk?

Nothing like Greg Pucatio [aka Mr. goes berserk on stage] screaming in your ear despite a wound to his head while you do that last set of pistol grip overhead presses, dive bombers, (assisted) handstand pushups, overhead press windmills or [insert one of your favorite exercises].

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4VUI0AHPRM

But yeah, definitely sounds like one of these gyms would be more apt for ya. (also, one that I need to check out/see if there are any here)

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

Then, on my last rep of my last set, as I'm driving up with everything I have, somebody vigorously pokes on my back. I roared again, finished my rep, completing my PR (woot), and whirled around at who the hell just nearly wrecked my last rep.

Isn't that quite dangerous and something someone with even a rudimentary knowledge of gym etiquette would think twice about doing? I'd have a word with their management about that.

Sounds like total bullshit on their part about ruining the "fitness environment". Isn't people working hard, pushing themselves and straining exactly what a fitness environment should be? If they thought you were being too loud, they should have had a polite quiet word between sets.

Best of luck on your deadlift PR attempt, show those chumps what it's like to be awesome!

Well son, you were an insolent shit. ;-) Rawr mode isn't for social interactions more sophisticated than chest-bumping. Find a black iron gym.

Pretty much this, you were being a dick.  You wanna act like that in a gym where you're by yourself, that's fine.  If you are in a community gym you need to respect the other patrons, or find a gym where this behavior is accepted.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Pretty much this, you were being a dick.  You wanna act like that in a gym where you're by yourself, that's fine.  If you are in a community gym you need to respect the other patrons, or find a gym where this behavior is accepted.

Agreed with Andy and Corey here.  While I'm definitely not in agreement with Planet Fitness attitude towards fitness (where if a weight makes a noise, you're asked to leave), you have to respect other people.  Doing the whole berserker thing once, sure, but at least take your head phones off afterwards and apologize to people.  And then try and control your noises in the last couple sets.  

Another point, last time I checked most times you see people power lifting you don't see them screaming, grunting, etc.  Most of the time they are holding their breath during reps to keep their core strong.  Might be something that could help with keep the noises in check.  

the type of gym where power lifting and growling is pretty normal- also so is the angry baby eating music.

you should check them out.   :)

it's fun- definitely a "culture" thing too. 

Quite the definition of that music.  Very apt.  Still makes my ears start bleeding within 30 seconds.  Just lots of cringing when I hear that stuff.  

I love it.

time and place for everything- but it sure as shit beats listening to that filthy tailor swift shit while I'm trying to kill it. 

Nah, I PR to "Picture to Burn" and "Stay Beautiful".

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I love it.

time and place for everything- but it sure as shit beats listening to that filthy tailor swift shit while I'm trying to kill it. 

Agreed, I know quite a bunch of people (myself included) that swear on that kinda music (from hardcore to thrash metal) for slamming workouts. That plus half a cup of pre-workout coffee makes lifting heavier, finishing that last set, potentially even adding another set or a few static exercises or just generally pushing it a lot easier.

@Corey: Kudos to you that you manage to work out to that, anything "pop" would probably just keep me from working out haha.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

in my gym the radio's on most of the time which means crappy pop and whatever's on the 'Big Top 40' though there's one of my favourite chill out songs (Passenger:- Let Her Go) that's been 3rd and 5th in the last 2 weeks and i've never heard it on there... i suspect foul play!

I'm totally kidding... I tend to listen to Linkin Park and Flogging Molly. Tay Tay is for chill car rides on sunny days.

500 / 330 / 625

Agreed, I know quite a bunch of people (myself included) that swear on that kinda music (from hardcore to thrash metal) for slamming workouts. That plus half a cup of pre-workout coffee makes lifting heavier, finishing that last set, potentially even adding another set or a few static exercises or just generally pushing it a lot easier.

@Corey: Kudos to you that you manage to work out to that, anything "pop" would probably just keep me from working out haha.

i'd say 9/10 I don't listen to music- I can't hear the timer buzz for HIIT training- plus WAY to much jumping around- the ipod/zune falls out of my sportsbra and my ear buds won't stay in.... so I go music-less for that.   Lifting is a crap shoot- but definitely either listening to some ghetto funk stuff or some super serious heavy stuff- it just works. 

GO LINKIN PARK AND FLOGGING MOLLY!!!!