Hey, I found that weight you lost!

Cheeky title aside, I found this place when scouring the internet for weight loss motivation. I need to lose a LOT of weight (I was slammed by the combination of a teenage eating disorder destroying my metabolism, graduate school diet/exercise, a knee injury that's thankfully completely healed, then a way post-due pregnancy--extra weeks of weight gain from hell!--followed up by lack of activity from c-section recovery for the little guy who was opposed to birth). In other words, it's been a tough couple of years. 

My diet plan involves going low carb--eating too much bread, pasta, sugar, etc always makes me feel sluggish and dead. Luckily, with those out of the way my normal diet is pretty healthful: mostly salads (and I do such elaborate, multi-ingredient salads that a lot of the time I don't even need dressing) and now choosing leaner meats, and nuts. With simple carbs out of the way, dairy is my other big weakness, as I would live on an all-cheese diet if my inner two year old got her way.  

Exercise is more difficult. My husband and I are in the slow process of clearing out an area of our basement and stocking a home gym. I'm mostly a dumbbell--er, a dumbbell user, although I'd like to move onto barbells. The other big issue is cardio. Most of my "activity" is walking a couple miles a day pushing a stroller, but I can't do that when it rains and it just isn't enough for me. Once our pool is open for the season I'll be able to that, and if I could find a tennis partner that's another one of my cardio-of-choice sports. I need to start running and biking again though; I just struggle to find the time to since childcare is such a pain and I have a pretty heavy workload.

I'm a freelancer working in academia and publishing specializing in genres (so I guess you could say I'm a paid, professional nerd!). It's awesome work, but it involves a lot of sitting down, reading and writing. Writer's Butt is a terrible fate. 

What's pushing me to lose weight now is partially for work--starting late fall I'll be flying around the country to speak at various conferences. I'm tall enough that airplane seats don't give me enough legroom, so for comfort's sake I need to try to be less wide at least. Additionally, I need as much strength as possible because my kid likes being tossed around in the air/being the baby in the baby curl exercise. Besides that, he's an unnaturally strong kid, so I need to build strength to maintain one of the few advantages I have over him.

When I saw that a six week challenge was about to start, I figured the accountability and group nature of it would help me cement new, healthier habits. And so, I joined.

Oh, yeah, I guess I'm a half-giant adventurer. 

I'm not sure what else I should put in an introduction post. If I missed some crucially important piece of information, ask it!

Loki Lvl 3 Half-Giant Adventurer [sTR 10 - DEX 6 - STA 5 - CON 9 - WIS 7.5 - CHA 9.5] Introduction Post First Challenge Saga Second Challenge Saga

Welcome!  First, I would look into a running stroller.  We have one, and pushing my 11 month old around on my runs is great for both of us.  She even ran a 5k with me once, and would yell at people as I would catch them and they would slow me down!!

http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Overland-Limited-Jogging-Stroller/dp/B0034XQXB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369637477&sr=8-1&keywords=jeep+running+stroller

Accountability is good.  Realistic goals are good...er.  This'll be my first 6 week challenge coming up too, I look forward to it :D

Also, all you're missing is a picture to the left, and a super cool signature with your info!

Level 1 Nord Ranger

Stats: TBD

Runkeeper | MyFitnessPal

Thanks for the stroller tip. I found a barely used one on Craigslist and not only is it delightful light, but the handles are much higher--less stooping and back pain than our other one (I swear, all parenting gear is designed for short people). Thank you for the welcome and advice--got my signature down, now to work on the picture!

Loki Lvl 3 Half-Giant Adventurer [sTR 10 - DEX 6 - STA 5 - CON 9 - WIS 7.5 - CHA 9.5] Introduction Post First Challenge Saga Second Challenge Saga

"Half-Giant Adventurer"!  Awesome.  I am amazed at the motivation this website offers.  I checked out some books last night another new member recommended.  Hearing about your baby stroller find is inspirational. 

Bavarian Ranger -- Level twoStrength 5 Dexterity 4 Stamina 5 Constitution 1 Wisdom 5 Charisma 5 My Epic Quest Challenge #1  Current Challenge

Future goal inspiration from Kurt Vonnegut "Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.â€