• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nuala

Preparing for next challenge! Your goals?

The April 15th, 6 Week Challenge is over, you will shortly make a summary of how it went for you in your own thread and in the wrap-up thread. And then, you'll have one week to set up your goals for next challenge! It can be a really difficult exercise, so feel free to use this thread to chat about what you wish to try for the next challenge, getting some help from the other assassins to build your own workout and everything that will help you or help other into finding some SMART goals.

I have said it in almost all my previous challenges but never dared to do it. This time it's over. 4 goals is too much for me, this time I'll only pick one. I have a crazy schedule and just adding one new daily habit in it is hard work enough. Those who followed my thread saw that I was wondering about 3 "programs"

- Mobility with supple leopard

- Flexibility with GMB

- Strength/skill with GMB Parallettes 1

Money and reality check made me chose Supple leopard. It should improve my flexibility a little and it's no use building strength on a broken body. So, that will be my only goal: working on my mobility.  

Rather stick to one goal and progress, than fail at 3 goals :)

I will look more into stretching in the new challenge.

And i will focus mostly on handstands. I csn kick up to handstand and hold it for a second or two now. Need improvement!

My head is a bit all over the place, so many things I want to do. But I'll keep the above in mind, thanks.

Nuala will you still be bouldering?

Of course, that's already part of my packed schedule :D

I go bouldering 3 times a week with my BF. I also use this time to do some rowing machine (2 or 5km), stretching, handstand practice and sometimes a little strength training. That's the one positive thing, even if I fails all my goals, I'm still training 3 times a week. 

You wouldn't consider something like "doing x difficulty while bouldering" a proper goal? That's what i was planning to do with my kb's, because ofcourse i'll be training even without a challenge but i figured setting a goal for it would still push me to towards more effort.

You wouldn't consider something like "doing x difficulty while bouldering" a proper goal? That's what i was planning to do with my kb's, because ofcourse i'll be training even without a challenge but i figured setting a goal for it would still push me to towards more effort.

That's totally a valid goal - if it focuses you on something you wouldn't be as committed to otherwise, or just gives you something to train towards, that's a perfect goal.

I haven't even thought about new goals yet... well, I was going to do something about 2 consecutive pull-ups, but that happened this morning, so I'm going to have to make it harder!

That's totally a valid goal - if it focuses you on something you wouldn't be as committed to otherwise, or just gives you something to train towards, that's a perfect goal.

I can't speak for Nuala, but I would be hesitant to use that type of climbing goal for myself, since most of us climbers are already pretty motivated to climb often and push toward harder routes.  So, the challenge goal either becomes something you were already doing, or you end up feeling even worse if you fail.

But, now that you all have me thinking about climbing goals, it would be neat to have a goal of working more on steeply overhung walls (which is a relative weakness), or working on campusing, doing more top-roping for endurance (I find top-rope boring), working on dynos (moves where you have to jump for the hold), or even working on not whining at my husband because he's 6'2" and can reach a lot of holds that I can't.  So, there are still a lot of climbing based things that a hardcore boulderer wouldn't normally be doing, but maybe ought to be.  :)

I'm already working hard on bouldering more would be unsafe, especially for my fingers. They are growing stronger little by little, but I can definitely feel when I overdid a workout. Like yesterday :/ Today I can only stretch my fingers with difficulty. 

I may need to work more on the campus board I suppose.

@Nymeria: right, I definitely need to work on my endurance. I'm quickly out of breath on longer problems and my forearms hate me too :D

I had an epiphany about a week ago and started implementing my ideas today. Figure there's no reason to hold off on progress til an arbitrary deadline :-P I'm super excited about this next challenge, it'll be my first official full 6 weeks.

I'm pondering doing one that has me losing x number of inches around my waist. Not sure what number is reasonable in 6 weeks. Especially as in total, it is only like 1-2 inches I want to lose. Is 1 inch a reasonable amount for 6 weeks?

I have some thinking to do! Even though I consistently work out 3 times a week I really want to focus on 'doing something active I enjoy'. I'm thinking I need to add some variety (I'll do the beginner bodyweight workout... or, the version that's ok with my physical therapist - which isn't much I'm afraid 3 times a week as I'm used to do by now). Maybe I'll do something with a list of options to choose from (swimming, running, stepmania, dance workout (from Youtube), poi, long walk (ideas to add? :)) or decide on one or two things I have to do each week... Not sure yet. 

I'll by looking around on the forums for ideas from other assassins and other classes, too :) Not quite sure what I want to be focussing on for the next 6 weeks, but already looking forward to it anyway.

I'm pondering doing one that has me losing x number of inches around my waist. Not sure what number is reasonable in 6 weeks. Especially as in total, it is only like 1-2 inches I want to lose. Is 1 inch a reasonable amount for 6 weeks?

I'd be careful with those kinda goals because really it's hard to predict something like that! You might hit it 2 weeks in, or not hit it at all despite doing everything you could. Seems to me effort definitely needs to be rewarded.

I have some thinking to do! Even though I consistently work out 3 times a week I really want to focus on 'doing something active I enjoy'. I'm thinking I need to add some variety (I'll do the beginner bodyweight workout... or, the version that's ok with my physical therapist - which isn't much I'm afraid 3 times a week as I'm used to do by now). Maybe I'll do something with a list of options to choose from (swimming, running, stepmania, dance workout (from Youtube), poi, long walk (ideas to add? :)) or decide on one or two things I have to do each week... Not sure yet. 

I'll by looking around on the forums for ideas from other assassins and other classes, too :) Not quite sure what I want to be focussing on for the next 6 weeks, but already looking forward to it anyway.

Maybe you can make it a challenge to try different things to find something you enjoy? 

I'd be careful with those kinda goals because really it's hard to predict something like that! You might hit it 2 weeks in, or not hit it at all despite doing everything you could. Seems to me effort definitely needs to be rewarded.

Maybe you can make it a challenge to try different things to find something you enjoy? 

Yea, that is why I haven't done that type before. But then last time I tried to make a goal that was basically do all the things diet wise that lead to inches loss, and it was too complicated. Not sure how to measure my eat right the majority of the time goal

Yea, that is why I haven't done that type before. But then last time I tried to make a goal that was basically do all the things diet wise that lead to inches loss, and it was too complicated. Not sure how to measure my eat right the majority of the time goal

If I'd tried to set a goal of lose X inches, I'm not sure how motivating it would have been. For diet goals, consistency is really what counts. Is there some small habit you could start with that would get you where you want to go? Drink only water? Eat protein with every meal? Eliminate random snacking? Experiment with intuitive eating?

I haven't even thought about new goals yet... well, I was going to do something about 2 consecutive pull-ups, but that happened this morning, so I'm going to have to make it harder!

#overachieverproblems

If I'd tried to set a goal of lose X inches, I'm not sure how motivating it would have been. For diet goals, consistency is really what counts. Is there some small habit you could start with that would get you where you want to go? Drink only water? Eat protein with every meal? Eliminate random snacking? Experiment with intuitive eating?

Listen to Lex, she speaks the truth.  I'd definitely go with an action based goal, rather than a results based goal!

It might be time for me to start dealing with freestanding handstands. The biggest issue is figuring out when to do it, my schedule is pretty tight. Probably going to do 5 minutes of practice, at least to start.

Going to have a writing based goal.

Need to have a sleep based goal again. Been going to bed way too late as of late.

Been thinking about it and i've decided on a kb goal (have to relearn my grip since I was making a small mistake, but relearning is gonna be a pain in the ass so i'll need the motivation) and my life goal.. I'll have one other fitness related goal I'm not sure about yet- kinda want to continue with pullups/bridges but I'm also considering running a regular group training once a week, just for some variety. 

I've decided to do a nutrition goal this time around, but just thinking about it is making me anxious -.- 

So it's either going to be something low-pressure and very attainable like big-batch cooking every week... or a counting/measuring type thing IIFMM style which all of y'all inspired... but I'm worried adding pressure to an already stressfull situation (trying to combine school with my own business and a regular job) will send me over the deep end... So maybe I should save that for next time (aka when school's over). I'm worried about that for a reason because it happens, stress inspires me to eat all the things and I've actually been doing pretty good with not stressing over food.

I'd mentioned in my challenge that Life wasn't especially great, and it's only going to get more complicated over the next two challenges. My husband will be TDY during part of this and the next one, so I need goals that will minimize stress. I'm thinking:

10+ minutes of a Mobility WOD daily

2 flows per week: one gentle, one conditioining

GTG pull ups 5 days/week

10 minutes of daily meditation

Ungraded things I will maintain:

• Tracking all the things
  • Simple strength program
  • Limiting fitness pages I read
  • Participating in the forum

Hi assassins, I did my last challenge with the scouts, but am seriously contemplating to do the next one with you guys here -- if that's alright with you ?

I have been having problems with my running lately due to overtraining, illness, and extreme fatigue (and hunger attacks!) after long runs and would like to shift my focus a bit towards BW, bar calisthenics and upper body strength for a while. Plus, my left knee (hahar there goes my good knee) is playing up at the moment - feels like a slight bursitis - so I don't see myself upping my running workouts any time soon. Basically, I secretly think I am just to effing heavy at the moment to be running on my dodgy knees at my age.

I've been following your threads and muscle-ups, crow poses, handstands and short sprints in minimalist shoes sound just right to me. ;)

Will you take me on for a bit ?

This challenge I had a bit of a problem with getting stuck in an exercise rut. I want to make sure that this doesn't happen next challenge but I'm not quite sure what kind of goal to set.

Maybe: Try one new exercise each week and do it for at least 3 workouts (I feel like its hard to gauge whether you really like an exercise or not from just one try)

Maybe set a rep limit for myself so once I get to say 3 sets of 12 I have to increase the difficulty

I just don't know. I'm not really in love with either of these ideas (though I like option A better I think) and I'm very very open to other suggestions.

*does some happy jumping about*

Oh, while I'm here, can you guys recommend sth that's a a little bit harder than full ass-to-grass squats, but easier than pistols ? 

I can easily do about 40 a-t-g squats but only about three half ROM pistol squats. Is there anything in between that I should be looking into ?

I wouldn't want to use weights ... only BW.

Nan all, you are totally welcome. For that matter, if anyone else is lurking, so are you.

On the pistols, you can do them assisted until you get better at them. If you have a playground nearby you with a climbing rope, then you can use that to help. Stand facing the rope, get in pistol position, and use the rope to help you go all the way to the "down" without your leg giving out. Then, come back to the up position and use your arms to assist pulling you out of the down. It should go without saying that you only use the rope as much as is necessary. Don't let it go if you can do it on your own, but don't use it as a crutch to make it an easy work out. I'm sure you know what I mean. :)