• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nuala

Preparing for next challenge! Your goals?

*does some happy jumping about*

Oh, while I'm here, can you guys recommend sth that's a a little bit harder than full ass-to-grass squats, but easier than pistols ? 

I can easily do about 40 a-t-g squats but only about three half ROM pistol squats. Is there anything in between that I should be looking into ?

I wouldn't want to use weights ... only BW.

Welcome!

You could do pole assisted pistols. Hold on to a wall or pole for support.

Or do them on a bench or stool. Stand on the bench and let the non bending leg hang down.

Shrimp squats

Bulgarian Squats

jumping squats

This challenge I had a bit of a problem with getting stuck in an exercise rut. I want to make sure that this doesn't happen next challenge but I'm not quite sure what kind of goal to set.

Maybe: Try one new exercise each week and do it for at least 3 workouts (I feel like its hard to gauge whether you really like an exercise or not from just one try)

Maybe set a rep limit for myself so once I get to say 3 sets of 12 I have to increase the difficulty

I just don't know. I'm not really in love with either of these ideas (though I like option A better I think) and I'm very very open to other suggestions.

What are your goals, SJ?  You could try something completely new... yoga, parkour, etc...

Hey as long as I am in another post here, are we going to try the video thingy this time?

Still trying to figure out if we can balance it with the mini-challenges.  If not this round, then the next.

Welcome!

You could do pole assisted pistols. Hold on to a wall or pole for support.

Or do them on a bench or stool. Stand on the bench and let the non bending leg hang down.

Shrimp squats

Bulgarian Squats

jumping squats

Jumping Bulgarian Shrimp Squats? ;)

What are your goals, SJ?  You could try something completely new... yoga, parkour, etc...

Still trying to figure out if we can balance it with the mini-challenges.  If not this round, then the next.

Jumping Bulgarian Shrimp Squats? ;)

Oooo, fun new exercise! Wolverine our fearless guild leader will soon be making a demo video. :highly_amused:

Or alternately, I could say it is supposed to be a list of different advanced squat exercises to do.

I'm pretty new to climbing, so my goals will be focussed around stopping being such a wuss about it (like wailing I CAN'T every two seconds when people are trying to explain new technique to me!). I want to have led a climb (indoors) by the end of the six weeks. Honestly, that's a big deal for me! I'm also writing my PhD thesis at the moment, so I'll need a hefty goal around that!

Yay, I'm really excited to be doing my first challenge! ^^ How much do people go into making characters? That was always my favourite part of role playing(!). I'll probably go to town on mine. :D

I have some actual ideas by now :) Not sure how excited I am about all of them, but hey, still a fews days left to decide, right?

Long post is long (this will pretty much by my challenge post if I decide to do these goals). Feedback appreciated!

1. Make the exercise fun! Ok, I have been enjoying my beginner bodyweight circuits, but I need to do more than just that. The problem is, I don’t enjoy running (much) anymore. I think I might need variety, but most of all I have to figure out what I actually like to do!

I’m thinking either making a list of options, picking 2 different ones every week (that will bring my total workouts to 5 (or 4 if I skip a bodyweight workout here and there) and that will be a nice number. Or maybe I’ll make a plan beforehand and say “Week 1 I will do … (dancing? running? Poi while walking? I’d definitely need some more ideas!). Unfortunately it’s the wrong time of the year to go to sport clubs and just join in for a lesson to check it out... (and I might be too shy to do that anyway).

But yeah, need a specific plan for this one!

2. Hydrate! Yes, I’m one of those. I drink about 2 cups of tea a day, one cup of coffee, one glass of water with dinner and some sips here and there throughout the day. (Oh, and I pee every 2 hours or so - seriously.) This should be easy enough to actually do once I set my mind to it, and might help with my energy levels (tired so often it’s not funny) as well as with my dry skin :) Worth a try, I’d say!

3. Recovery is important

I’m going to make this a goal because I am getting REALLY bored with the recovery exercises for my back (just while I’m starting to make some real progress). The pain isn’t nearly gone, so it’s important to keep strengthening my back while also learning to relax... So the plan is:

Do my recovery exercises 5 (or 6) times a week. Even if I don’t do all reps for all exercises I have to do at least (no proper names here, sorry, but so I know what I mean by them)

5 lying on back + knee to side

8 vacuum cleaner

8 wall push ups (/or desk)

5 superman (arms next to body)

10 left arm + right leg up

10 ‘zen’ exercises (with 0.5 kgs if I can find two water bottles)

5 ‘half’ planks (hold 6 seconds)

‘zwaaien’ for 50 seconds

4. Preparation is key

Assassins need to be prepared for whatever challenge awaits them, right? Well, whether or not I manage to graduate by July 5th I will start a new job after the summer, teaching English to 16+ year olds (including some groups with adults going back to study so ages vary a lot). For this goal I want to make sure I am as prepared as I can be by... sorting through four years of materials I’ve collected and created for my studies.

I don’t think I can make a proper planning just yet (might be something for the next challenge) but I want to create a folder/organised system of all activities I can use in class (so when I don’t know what to do I have some back up activities).

In addition I will have to buy a diary that’s large enough to keep organised for all groups I will be teaching.

While I’m at it I might as well organise, decide what to keep and what to throw out, all of my study books, material etc. This should also mean I will have some empty folders etc. I can use for my work :)

Organization \o/

Beware though, when you start getting organized, you can't stop. Never! And the you become a maniac like me :x Do you know about workflowy? 

https://workflowy.com/

I use that quite often to organize my thoughts maybe you could find it useful too. 

This challenge I had a bit of a problem with getting stuck in an exercise rut. I want to make sure that this doesn't happen next challenge but I'm not quite sure what kind of goal to set.

Maybe: Try one new exercise each week and do it for at least 3 workouts (I feel like its hard to gauge whether you really like an exercise or not from just one try)

Maybe set a rep limit for myself so once I get to say 3 sets of 12 I have to increase the difficulty

I just don't know. I'm not really in love with either of these ideas (though I like option A better I think) and I'm very very open to other suggestions.

I like both those ideas, the first as a challenge goal, the second just as a general way of doing things (assuming you're looking to progress rather than maintain?)

One new exercise per week is 6 new exercises, which is not too many, considering there are 4 basic 'categories' of exercise (push, pull, legs, core). You could pick one from each, and then the 2 extras from categories you want to work on especially, or just pick 2 extra movements that look fun. And I agree that doing them for at least 3 workouts is a good idea, to really get the feel for the movements involved. And if you're feeling like you're in a rut, that could be a good way to start to climb out without overwhelming yourself with a complete workout overhaul. The other idea could go hand in hand, if you're at/near 3 sets of 12 for anything, the next hardest variation could count as your new exercise for the week. 

That said, if you're not feelin' it, it'll be hard to stick to it. What about those ideas are you not loving? Are you just tired after all the life stuff that's been going on and the idea of starting something new is a bit much, but after a week break you'll feel better about it? Or do those ideas not quite fit with your personal goals/don't feel quite right to you, and you need something similar (or completely different) but just can't put your finger on it?  Or something else entirely?

1. Make the exercise fun! Ok, I have been enjoying my beginner bodyweight circuits, but I need to do more than just that. The problem is, I don’t enjoy running (much) anymore. I think I might need variety, but most of all I have to figure out what I actually like to do!

I’m thinking either making a list of options, picking 2 different ones every week (that will bring my total workouts to 5 (or 4 if I skip a bodyweight workout here and there) and that will be a nice number. Or maybe I’ll make a plan beforehand and say “Week 1 I will do … (dancing? running? Poi while walking? I’d definitely need some more ideas!). Unfortunately it’s the wrong time of the year to go to sport clubs and just join in for a lesson to check it out... (and I might be too shy to do that anyway).

But yeah, need a specific plan for this one!

Dancing, running, poi, kettlebell lifting with KB Girl, yoga, swimming.... :P

Organization \o/

Beware though, when you start getting organized, you can't stop. Never! And the you become a maniac like me :x Do you know about workflowy? 

https://workflowy.com/

I use that quite often to organize my thoughts maybe you could find it useful too. 

Pure genius, thanks for sharing!

Having a hard time with goals...seems like I'm either on the too easy side or I'm reaching for the stars. I also apologize if I sound like I am talking out loud.

It's taken me a while to figure out the current exercise plan that I am on, I don't want to mess it up. Saying that I want to stick with it is like saying I'll get up and go to my job every day. It's just going to happen.

A "side effect" from my workouts is that my hand stand work has improved greatly, and I'm getting closer to a muscle up. I don't know if adding additional specific work is worth it, or if I should just keep plugging along.

I do core work with my workouts, but I know I can do more. I may try to add more core work. I've really noticed how it helps my posture and back sorness sitting at a desk all day.

I could also challenge myself to try one new or otherwise rarely eaten food a week. Most likely it will end up being some type of vegetable.

I may also add a "fun run" per week at the park and incorporate a parkour kind of thing. play around on the monkey bars, jump over picnic tables etc.

For the next challenge, I was thinking of trying to do some stretching/mobility stuff (again), but with some instruction rather than just trying to figure it out on my own. I've heard a few good things about Becoming a Supple Leopard, though I'm not at all a fan of the MobilityWOD website (the exercises are fine, once you get to them, but the videos are hard to navigate and way too talky for my liking). I know it's a new book so there might not be much experience with it, but is it worth the money (I can get it for $35 on Amazon, though I feel a bit like a traitor to my friendly neighbourhood bookseller...)? I know I won't wade through the website in the hopes of stumbling upon a gem or two.

I'm only hesitating because I have a tendency to chase shiny things. And I know that just because something is shiny doesn't mean it's bad, but if I'm gonna spend money on something I want to know (as much as possible) that it's worth it and that I'll use it.

Maybe I can convince my library to get a copy, so I can try it out before I buy it (note: this is not really a likely option, my library is cheap...)

've heard a few good things about Becoming a Supple Leopard, though I'm not at all a fan of the MobilityWOD website (the exercises are fine, once you get to them, but the videos are hard to navigate and way too talky for my liking). I know it's a new book so there might not be much experience with it, but is it worth the money (I can get it for $35 on Amazon, though I feel a bit like a traitor to my friendly neighbourhood bookseller...)

The text is good, but the photos used to illustrate movements are not - about half the photos (all of the ones demonstrated by the author himself) have him wearing a baggy t-shirt, so the actual specifics of the movements are obscured by that.  Frequently (whenever it's a shoulder or back position) you can't see the difference between the right and wrong position in the examples.

That's fine for readers who were fans of the MobilityWOD site and have seen the dynamic examples (or who have a decent background in the physiology of movement and "see" the examples based on the text), but for a general audience I think it would be much improved by having better photos.

The text is good, but the photos used to illustrate movements are not - about half the photos (all of the ones demonstrated by the author himself) have him wearing a baggy t-shirt, so the actual specifics of the movements are obscured by that.  Frequently (whenever it's a shoulder or back position) you can't see the difference between the right and wrong position in the examples.

That's fine for readers who were fans of the MobilityWOD site and have seen the dynamic examples (or who have a decent background in the physiology of movement and "see" the examples based on the text), but for a general audience I think it would be much improved by having better photos.

Hmm... And that's why I wish the library had a copy... Back and shoulders are things I want to work on too... I don't suppose you know if having a copy of the book gives you access to the paid-for videos on the website? I'm guessing not, but if it did that might be ok...

My whole challenge will be using supple leopard, I could try taking some pictures along if that could be of any help. 

My whole challenge will be using supple leopard, I could try taking some pictures along if that could be of any help. 

If you're willing, that'd be great. For now I think I'm gonna try to stumble through the free parts of the website for some stuff that'll help my problem areas, at least (neck and shoulders, mainly, and hamstrings if I can find anything, though everything I've found so far seems to require those band thingys he uses). If I'm finding that's not working I'll seek out a copy I can hold in my hands at the Giant Large Mega Bookstore That I Hate To Go Into and have a peek-see (I might do this anyway, if I have a reason to go to the mall that it's in).

Trying to decide how I should break up the points for this one, and if any of the non-point goals should actually "count" for goals. (I really would love to do Youtube for a living, but I see it as extremely unlikely, so maybe I SHOULD work on making videos regularly as a truly productive use of my time. Then again, who could have guessed Steve could do Nerd Fitness for a living...?)

1. Relentlessly track food: everything that isn't water or unsweetened tea that passes through my mouth should be recorded. 

I find that just keeping myself accountable tends to keep me in line in terms of goals - I don't eat huge enough meals to worry about the nitty-gritty of counting exactly how much rice I eat with my family, but if I'm not tracking that yes, I did eat many tiny chocolates today, that's where I go wrong. Tracking can be here or on my challenge Twitter, but I should be reporting here at the end of each day.

2. Angry Birds three times a week.

Self-explainatory. Deceptively simple. My body is ready.

3. Morning and evening skincare and dental care every day this challenge.

Just like last time. 

4. Do up to three productive things every day, and keep track. 

"Productive" can be two hours of studying for my actuarial exams, applying for a job, two hours of (learning to) script/code in SQL or Lua, or doing some major cleaning around the house: cleaning the bathrooms, deciding what in our bookshelves is worth getting rid of, thoroughly vacuuming both floors, the stairs, and thoroughly cleaning the vacuum machine itself afterwards, etc. Current version of the list is here.

Other goals I'm not going to give myself points for but I'll track anyway: do all the Assassin Mini-challenges, record for my Youtube channel at least once a week, finish my fanfic for the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure reverse bang challenge, lead and/or edit an episode of Roguelike Radio, and do more research for my future marine ecology/evolution themed roguelike (yes this is going to be a thing and it's gonna be awesome).