Serverly undertrained for race day next week

So long story short, I let my fear of failure/need to be perfect sabotage a perfectly good amount of time to train for a 50 mile relay race, with the result that next weekend I'm running a total of 13.1 miles in 3 legs (4.8 mi and, 4.5mi, then 3.8m) with 3 of my coworkers next week.  I can currently barely run 3-4 miles at about 13-14 minutes per mile (yes, just barely faster than speed walking).  I can't back out because then they can't race, and I am terrified I'll end up walking the whole thing (which, okay, they said I could, but still!).

Anyone else run a race they weren't prepared for?  Any tips (besides "don't go" and "train better next time")?

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

Race day most people find a speed and endurance boost, so if you can do 4 miles you will likely be golden. Make sure you take it easy on your legs this week. Do a couple one mile loops, maybe take a spin on the spin bike just to not stiffen up, but relax, this is the week you are giving yourself to completely recover and let your muscles rebuild glycogen stores come the second half. Don't worry about speed, especially if this is your first race, just have fun! You got this already, the hardest part is just saying yes and committing to it.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Thanks folks!  After some research, I'm planning on at least one more easy-ish run this week (about 2 miles), but mostly just taking a long walk with extra stretching this week to help limber up.   That's my biggest issue when running - my legs get super tight and then my back starts hurting.

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

So long story short, I let my fear of failure/need to be perfect sabotage a perfectly good amount of time to train for a 50 mile relay race, with the result that next weekend I'm running a total of 13.1 miles in 3 legs (4.8 mi and, 4.5mi, then 3.8m) with 3 of my coworkers next week.  I can currently barely run 3-4 miles at about 13-14 minutes per mile (yes, just barely faster than speed walking).  I can't back out because then they can't race, and I am terrified I'll end up walking the whole thing (which, okay, they said I could, but still!).

Anyone else run a race they weren't prepared for?  Any tips (besides "don't go" and "train better next time")?

Been there, done that.  You are definitely not the only one to ever show up at a start line woefully undertrained.  The good news is that you can still show up, and probably even have a good time (unlike some of the overtrained folks!).

Tips:

Start slow.  You know you aren't running all three legs without some walking, so accept that, and start out with generous walking breaks.  If you alternate running a mile and then walking a mile, you'll still be running 150% longer than you have (if I'm reading that right - as your longest run being ~4 miles).  Or break it up even further, alternating half-miles.

You've gotten the okay to walk it from your teammates.  That's awesome.  It automatically means that as long as you do your best, it's good enough.  So don't get discouraged if the gods of running don't smile on you and you end up having to walk more than you wanted. 

Don't do anything "new" on race day.  No new shoes, weird foods, different underwear.  Just don't go down that blistery-chaffey road.  It won't make up for undertraining, and may well make you miserable.

Do try to show up well rested.  I aim to sleep well the last couple of nights before the night before a race, because I know full well that I won't sleep well the night before a race.

Stretch (or foam-roller, if you use one) between relay legs.  Take it easy, even if you're excited... there will be plenty of chances to use any nervous energy on the course.

Do write a race report.  Not just to let us know how it went, but so that you can look back at what you learned and how it went.  You'll have a lot better advice than just "train better next time," and you'll have it from the best expert on your running (you).

When I get to a start line here are my priorities:

1. Don't end up back in physical therapy.  If I'm going to cause injury that requires rehab, not just recovery from soreness, I'll DNF.  Yeah, I've done it.  More than once.  I'm up to three times now... but I've never skipped a start line.
  2. See number one.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Again, thanks!  You guys are great encouragement.  I'll definitely keep you posted (the race is Saturday), and I will do my best to remain positive, not get injured beyond normal soreness and not do anything crazy on race day :)

Being unprepared happens, I was woefully underprepared for my marathon, but the important thing is to show up, do your best, and know that whatever you do is better than you could have done before and far better than those who decided that instead of trying they'd just stay home and have a beer or something. Run for your beer!

More seriously, don't push yourself beyond what you can do, but push yourself to about there. And learn from where you fell short this time to make sure it doesn't happen again. Good luck!

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

I survived, arrived exhausted at each exchange point and feel sore and accomplished today.  T'was fun, and I might even do it again next year.  But now I have a base to improve on :)

Um, I may have contemplated a continuous half-marathon race, but chickened out cause it's in July and I walk-jogged the whole last race.  BUT  I have a sign of a 10K in September that looks like fun :)  I'm still debating a half-marathon in winter/spring (it's mild but wet here) since my life goal is to run 6 miles easily, so if I can do a 1/2 marathon, that'll check that one right off the list.

Too much hedging

"I may have ..."

"I'm still debating ..."

"If I can ..."

You're doing the 10K in September; no questions asked

Now ... Shut Up & Train

Yes sir! :)

I found the advice listed above helpful - hopefully it'll help you too!

Nice!

i've managed to eat properly the evening before and the morning before the race, so i wasn't hungry or craving for energy, nor was my stomach full.

most often i don't eat enough, and then what little i eat i eat too late before the race.

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.