Grocery Panniers?

Alright!  I am doing some research on panniers for my bike, and I was hoping someone had some that they really liked and would recommend.  :)

In an effort to live more sustainably, I will be riding my bike to the farmers market.  The only problem is, I don't have any panniers, and I am not sure exactly what I need to look for in a good set.  I would love to be able to tote my groceries, and maybe stop at the library for a book or two. 

Any suggestions?  Any that I should avoid at all costs?

Level 2 Satyress adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 7|CHA 6

First Challenge:  Disney Song Playlist (April 15th, 2013)

Second Challenge:  Better late than never (June 6, 2013)

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra

Well my co-worker installed some on is wifes bike that he bought off ebay, two weeks ago he got a call from the cops that his wife was in the hospital with a fractured pelvis because of a bike crash. Investigating the cause, it was the bags that were cheap and got into the wheel. Her helmet was detroyed, but it saved her life.

Make sure the side of the wheel is very ridig and cannot interfere with the wheel. That is all on my part.

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

LOL opened for bike panniers...

realized we were talking pedal bike.

leaves with nothing to offer other than make sure they are well secured ^ as noted a misplaced add on can really fuck up your world.

I would go with one bigger milk crate style one on the back if you can- I do ride a regular motorbike- but I get way more use out of the top box than I do my side panniers. 

Well my co-worker installed some on is wifes bike that he bought off ebay, two weeks ago he got a call from the cops that his wife was in the hospital with a fractured pelvis because of a bike crash. Investigating the cause, it was the bags that were cheap and got into the wheel. Her helmet was detroyed, but it saved her life.

Make sure the side of the wheel is very ridig and cannot interfere with the wheel. That is all on my part.

I've got my panniers mounted on a rack for this very reason.  I just got the smallest ones they had and shove my work clothes in them in the morning.  Seems to be working well for me so far, although I have a feeling I may blow a zipper on them, since they feel kind of cheap.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

Definitely make sure you have a rack fitted, it'll help you carry more weight too. I use Altura pannier bags and they are pretty robust but the ones I lust after are Ortlieb because they're so tough and brightly coloured. I don't always ride with them evenly packed on both sides but if I'm cycling with one I make sure it's the pavement (sidewalk) side one so if I tip at least I'm not going into traffic. It's never happened but I'm paranoid!

Half-Orc Warrior (Level 1)

STR 3, DEX 1, STA 3, CON 2, WIS 3, CHA 3

About racks - the standard triangle-frame rear rack has a 40lb weight limit.  A front basket, in comparison, is usually like $10.  Do not use a seatpost-only rack.

Look for used Ortleib panniers.  They are soooo awesome.  They rattle less than anything else, and they are waterproof.  Super expensive new, but since they're so heavy duty, you can probably find them used.

Previous challenge: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/119775-daemoncorax-starts-new-journey-level-1-hunter/

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

I use collapsible cages on my bike.  Why?  No taking on and off, collapse to keep bike a reasonable size, put the load on the back of the bike which is a better place for it, and keep the load structured.  I LOVE mine.  I got something like this:  http://www.amazon.com/Wald-Folding-Bicycle-Basket-12-75/dp/B0012DZEBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371648019&sr=8-1&keywords=bike+basket+collapsible

I do not use soft panniers for a variety of reasons. 

Also, do have baskets put on by your  local bike shop.  And don't over load them. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.