Quality of experience and the cost of event vary widely, and are not necessarily in direct connection.

In Croatia they usually range from 10 to 20$ for a 4 day event, but they are by a few degrees of magnitude less (

) than the
, for example.

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.

did quite a bit of larping in the apst but it is on hold for now due to monetary and time issues.

It can be quite a bit of fun and i am looking forward to starting it again when stuff has cleared up a bit for me. Although i am contemplating to switch to post apocalyptic larping instead of fantasy.

There is one rule, above all others, ... Whatever comes, face it on your feet.

Robert Jordan, The Great Hunt

Lvl 2 Half-Elf Ranger

STR:4 | DEX:2.5 | STA:5 | CON:3 | WIS:5 | CHA:3

Daily Grind

Story of a Ranger: 1st chapter, 2nd chapter, 3rd chapter, 4th chapter

For my sins I have been larping for over 12 years now... and that's actually quite a scary thought!

Getting into any of the big fest systems can be expensive, when you consider the ticket price, costume, weapons, food, etc... even already having kit I'd struggle to do one for under £100. Might I recommend you have a look at fools and heroes though, (www.foolsandheroes.org), we're a national society mainly doing day events. There used to be an Oxford branch but sadly they had to close, so you would have to travel a bit further. But you do get 2 free adventures and people are always happy to lend kit to new people :)

There are, of course, lots of other small indy larps around the country which might be a better fit depending on what genre and so on you're looking for, but my advice is to find things that will let you go along and try it for free, before committing to anything big!

Although to answer your question, yes it's good fun and very social, pretty much everyone I've ever met at a larp is very friendly and you get an experience like no other.

Level 2 Ranger
Aspiring to awesomeness

Thanks for the replies.

@benjsec i was looking at the heroquest ones and saw that it costs from 100 to 500 pound depending on the length which is alot of money inc. Kit and food.etc and they are also not very regular but at that price wouldnt be able to go much. Fools and heros looks good will look at their website. Do they also do weekdends or do you tend to go to a big event when you want that? I really have no idea how larp works when it comes to clubs etc lol

Avengerkieran

Chunk?

No! It's captian Chunk

I've never been to Heroquest but have heard they're good family events.

Fools and Heroes do run weekends events too, usually half a dozen small ones (40-80 people) and a big one August bank holiday (200-300 people).

A lot of people go to multiple systems, it isn't a problem, but your character from one only exists in that world, you'll have a different character (and usually different kit) at another system. Empire is particularly popular at the moment, as it's an entirely new game.

Level 2 Ranger
Aspiring to awesomeness