Wolverine Wanders While Working Wisely

wolverine-meditating_zps31c05079.jpg

This challenge is all about consistency, moderation, and stress reduction - three areas in which I have no talent whatsoever.  Luckily for me, I am a member of the best guild ever in the history of the known universe (not that I'm biased or anything) and many of my fellow Assassins have set wonderful examples for me to follow.

TARGET 1: TRAIN with consistency, moderation, and stress reduction in mind.

• TACTIC
    I will be following the TACFIT program for the duration of this challenge.  It involves training every day on a four-day cycle but with built-in periodization.  Day one is mobility, day two is compensation, day three is moderate intensity training, and day four is high-intensity training.  This repeats endlessly.  There is no "off" day but the mobility and compensation days are considered to be active rest days.  On both mobility and compensation days, I will be adding a short Prasara Yoga session.

• TALE
    This goal is pretty much all Lex Phoenix's fault.  Her last six-week challenge was really interesting to follow and I learned a lot about my challenge themes (consistency, moderation, and stress reduction) from her experience.  Her challenge also introduced me to Prasara Yoga.  My research into Prasara lead me to Scott Sonnon (the creator of Prasara) and TACFIT (of which Sonnon is also the creator).  (Interesting side note: The GMB guys are all big fans of/certified in Sonnon's CST model, practice/teach Prasara, and based a lot of their own programs on the same concepts of flow, injury-free training, and periodization.)  I was interested in doing something completely outside of my comfort zone for this challenge, and TACFIT and Prasara fit the bill!

• TALLY
    +2 STR, +2 DEX, +1 STA

TARGET 2: TASTE with consistency, moderation, and stress reduction in mind.

• TACTIC
    I will be IIFYMing for the duration of the six-week challenge.  I will continue to eat with cutting in mind and aim to land within 100 calories of my 1800 calories per day target (a range of 1700-1900).  I may change this range by 100 calories in either direction if (and only if) my fat loss plateaus for seven days or more.  I will get at least 130 grams of protein per day and 20 g of fiber per day.  More is better on this front.  I will not starve myself in order to binge at a later date.

• TALE
    A few weeks into my last challenge I came to the realization that my eating had become very unhealthy.  Basically, I would starve myself all week so that I could BINGE on the weekends.  While I was losing weight, my training suffered and I was neglecting to face my horrible relationship with food.  There was much guilt and negative self talk, neither of which is optimal for the mind let alone training recovery.  This goal is my attempt to teach myself some moderation and get in a good mental space with regard to food.

• TALLY
    +2 CON, +2 WIS

TARGET 3: TRACK with consistency, moderation, and stress reduction in mind.

• TACTIC
    As per my usual, I will be some daily and weekly tracking.  Daily tracking will consist of my weight, training routine, training effort, training technique, and what I eat.  Weekly tracking will be limited to my waist and chest measurements and a progress photo.

• TALE
    I have DRASTICALLY reduced my normal tracking list.  This is about 1/3 of what I normally measure/chart/graph/tabulate.  I am really hoping that by slimming down my data I'll save some time, energy, and needless worry.  I have chosen the items above (and only the items above) because they are necessary in making sure that my body recomposition is going to plan.  They answer the only two questions I really care about right now - how is my training going and what is my body composition? This goal is also heavily influenced by Lex.  Slimming down metrics = lowering stress = better success.

• TALLY
    +1 CON, +1 WIS, +1 CHA

TARGET 4: TICK OFF to-dos with consistency, moderation, and stress reduction in mind.

• TACTIC
    I will be plugging away at some house projects again this challenge.  Specifically, I would like to accomplish the following: 1) finish painting the patio, 2) spend at least 3 hours de-cluttering the garage, and 3) finally hook up my Apple TV.

• TALE
    1) Many of you may remember my "Stay Married" goal from two challenges ago.  While I am still married, I had to take some time off of the patio work due to my surgery.  Now that I've been cleared by my surgeon it's time to get back to work.  I have two more walls to paint before I can call this one done.  2) The garage is out of control, and now that my wife is working out again (WOOT!) we need more training space.  Time to go through our crap and CL/donate what we don't need.  I won't have time to finish the garage during this challenge (I'll be spending most of my free time on the patio), but if I can get some decent time in, I'll be happy. 3) I received an Apple TV for my 30th birthday.  I'm now almost 32.  We use music to wake our son every morning and this dusty little device would make that process a lot easier.  It's past time to get it up and running.

• TALLY
    +3 CHA

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Waldo wonders why Wolverine wanders?  Was wise work wishful whilst wandering?

Waldo wonders; Wolverine wields wine while whistling (weaseling?). 

Hmm, that's pretty much the kind of intrusive thought I have when I'm attempting to meditate. Next time I try I know I'm going to be pestered with an image of nekkid Wolverine now.... not that's such a bad thing! ;-)

And... you're welcome. ;)

Prasara yoga and TACFIT? ;)

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEE...

Tadumdum. you're such a tease! We're all dying to know what you'll be doing.

Coming in just a sec.!

I thought Wolverine was nekkie for a second there.

I think that was the intent. ;)

Indeed. Though, judging from the winky face, lexphoenix seems to know what these things are, whereas I do not. I think I'll wait to be informed rather than making the Herculean effort necessary to google it...

You don't want to strain yourself, O.  We're between challenges after all... Save it for when it counts, and all that.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I love your goals! This lex character sounds like a wonderful person. ;)

Seriously though, I can't wait to see what you think of Prasara. Will you be following a particular TACFIT program, or just working within the confines of 4x7? If I'd known you were interested in TACFIT, I would have sent you here. Good luck with all of your goals!

Those are some great challenges.  Can't wait to read how you do. 

Thanks!

LESS documentation?! Don't tell me you're going to join those crazy non-spreadsheet people!

Oh, hells no!  I'll be tracking the hell out of what I'm tracking... I'm just tracking less!  :)

What were you tracking above and beyond that that what remains above is 1/3rd of what you tracked?

Geez. That hits everything I keep track of with the exception that my weekly measurements are more comprehensive than just waist/chest.

Daily = calories consumed, protein, fiber, carbs, calories burned, sleep length, sleep quality, general health, weight, DOMS, training time, training effort, and training technique.

Weekly = chest, shoulders, waist 1, waist 2, waist 3, hip, neck, r/l bicep, r/l forearm, r/l wrist, r/l high thigh, r/l mid thigh, r/l calf, r/l ankle, chest/stomach/thigh by calipers.

Plus, calculated stuff like 7 and 14 day averages, bodyfat, lean mass, fat mass, waist to height ratio, etc.

Seriously though, I can't wait to see what you think of Prasara. Will you be following a particular TACFIT program, or just working within the confines of 4x7? If I'd known you were interested in TACFIT, I would have sent you here. Good luck with all of your goals!

Thanks!

She's alright, I guess... ;)

I've been working on the Seesaw Flow (from GMB's "Prasara Primer") this week.  It's not nearly as cool looking as MattEXP's stuff but I'm attempting to convince myself that it's okay to start slowly as I have no experience with yoga (other than a P90X session here and there).  I also don't flow to heavy rock music so that might be the issue too... ;)

I have no doubt that the hardest part of this challenge is going to be getting over the mental roadblocks.  My head is convinced that my goals are healthy and balanced and will result in gains in mobility, endurance, and strength.  My heart keeps telling me that I'm going to lose all my strength gains if my program doesn't consist of torture and pain on a daily basis.

Thanks for the link!  I've been to the site but hadn't discovered that page.  I'll make some time to read through it.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I've been working on the Seesaw Flow (from GMB's "Prasara Primer") this week.  It's not nearly as cool looking as MattEXP's stuff but I'm attempting to convince myself that it's okay to start slowly as I have no experience with yoga (other than a P90X session here and there).  I also don't flow to heavy rock music so that might be the issue too... ;)

I have no doubt that the hardest part of this challenge is going to be getting over the mental roadblocks.  My head is convinced that my goals are healthy and balanced and will result in gains in mobility, endurance, and strength.  My heart keeps telling me that I'm going to lose all my strength gains if my program doesn't consist of torture and pain on a daily basis.

Thanks for the link!  I've been to the site but hadn't discovered that page.  I'll make some time to read through it.

Well, it's not supposed to be about how cool it looks, though it most certainly does. :) You're definitely doing the right thing by taking it slow and building a solid foundation.

I think you'll be surprised how much time and energy you have for other things when you don't run yourself into the ground every day. :D

Looking forward to your challenge. Love the Prasara yoga stuff and the TACFIT  sounds interesting. My kettlebell program did cycling of one light day, one medium, one heavy. I was pretty dubious it would work. How could I get stronger if I wasn't killing myself each workout. I actually had more strength gains than I have ever had before. It was weird, I would come to my high intensity day, and just rock it like it was nothing. Making me rethink the whole every workout day has to be your best mentality.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Seriously.  That would cost you at least one beep on the test right?  Maybe even two...

Probably two, I can't risk it. Luckily, my laziness patience and self-discipline paid off and now I know what those things are (ish).

This is all very interesting to me, I'll definitely be checking some of that out and filing it away (or maybe incorporating, I'm looking for more interesting things to do). Lookin' forward to see how it all goes for you, and I do love learning about new things like this.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I like the amount of T's... teas... you should be drinking tea I just heard :tongue:

Anyway I really like your general focus this challenge and will be watching closely to see if I can learn anything :D

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

:D True!

This prasara yoga seems pretty cool- definitely filing that away for later. 

The head/heart debate, pfew, guess we'll both be struggling with that. I think your head is pretty smart though, it's got the right idea :) Soon you'll have plenty of evidence!

All in all looks like a great challenge with a great theme :)

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Looking forward to your challenge. Love the Prasara yoga stuff and the TACFIT  sounds interesting. My kettlebell program did cycling of one light day, one medium, one heavy. I was pretty dubious it would work. How could I get stronger if I wasn't killing myself each workout. I actually had more strength gains than I have ever had before. It was weird, I would come to my high intensity day, and just rock it like it was nothing. Making me rethink the whole every workout day has to be your best mentality.

That is awesome news!  I know that MOAR and DO ALL THE THINGS isn't always the right strategy, but when you've been doing something one way for so long and it's worked for you... it's difficult to change it up.  Even if what was working is no longer working like you want it too...

Definitely following. Looking forward to hearing more about Tacfit / Prasara Yoga.

Thanks, Sloom.  Time to revive our PvP, methinks.

Probably two, I can't risk it. Luckily, my laziness patience and self-discipline paid off and now I know what those things are (ish).

This is all very interesting to me, I'll definitely be checking some of that out and filing it away (or maybe incorporating, I'm looking for more interesting things to do). Lookin' forward to see how it all goes for you, and I do love learning about new things like this.

As this is my first time with this type of program AND I'm THE HIGH TABULATOR, I'm sure I'll be posting (in excruciating detail) the results of my experiment.

I like the amount of T's... teas... you should be drinking tea I just heard :tongue:

Anyway I really like your general focus this challenge and will be watching closely to see if I can learn anything :D

Oooo... TEA!  I should've thought of that and revived my tea goal from last challenge.  Kib, you gotta check in earlier!  Like... into my brain before I've written out my challenges... ;)

:D True!

This prasara yoga seems pretty cool- definitely filing that away for later. 

The head/heart debate, pfew, guess we'll both be struggling with that. I think your head is pretty smart though, it's got the right idea :) Soon you'll have plenty of evidence!

All in all looks like a great challenge with a great theme :)

Thanks, KBG!  And guess what?  TACFIT uses kettlebells!

Cutting down on your tracking:O  I'm thinking delirium tremens by the end of week 2.  Maybe it would help if you the few remaining spread sheets in fluorescent pink?

As if they're not already pink... Pshhh...

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Alright... so I've actually started the training portion of this challenge already and I want to catch up the ol' thread.  For this program I am actually reading/following the guidelines (shocking, I know) and starting with the Level 1 (Delta) workouts.  My instinct is to make things harder, but I said I was going to stick with the program and so I'm sticking with the program.  I would like to note that I DON'T WANNA.  *end whine*

TACFIT DAY 1: QUAL MOBILITY

• No intensity
  • Target heart rate = 0-40% of max
  • 1 min. of each exercise
  • No rest between exercises
  • Complete the circuit three times

• Knee Circle
  • Backstroke
  • Hip Hurdler
  • Hitchhiker
  • Gunslinger
  • Spinal Rotation

• Prasara Yoga: 15 min. of Intermediate Level Seesaw Flow

TACFIT DAY 2: QUAL COMPENSATION

• Low intensity
  • Target heart rate = 40-60% of max
  • 1 min. of each exercise
  • No rest between exercises
  • Complet the circuit three times

• Pigeon
  • Downward Facing Dog
  • Forearm Frog
  • Drill Bit Hold
  • Shoulder Bridge
  • Standing Side Bend

• Prasara Yoga: 15 min. of Intermediate Level Seesaw Flow

TACFIT DAY 3: QUAL

• Moderate intensity
  • Target heart rate = 60-80% of max
  • 8 sets of each exercise
  • 20 sec. work + 10 sec. rest for each set
  • 1 min. rest between exercises

• Warmup (Mobility)

• Lunge Raise
  • Knee Ellipse
  • Sit Thru Hip
  • Pushup Knee
  • Hollow Body Crunch
  • Table Lift

• Cooldown (Compensation)

• Score = 42
  • Avg. heart rate = 105.3 bpm
  • Avg. RPT = 7.7
  • Avg. RPE = 6.3
  • Avg. RPD = 2

TACFIT DAY 4: QUAL

• High intensity
  • Target heart rate = 80-100% of max
  • 8 sets of each exercise
  • 20 sec. work + 10 sec. rest for each set
  • 1 min. rest between exercises

• Warmup (Mobility)

• Lunge Raise
  • Knee Ellipse
  • Sit Thru Hip
  • Pushup Knee
  • Hollow Body Crunch
  • Table Lift

• Cooldown (Compensation)

• Score = 58
  • Avg. heart rate = 110.7 bpm
  • Avg. RPT = 7.8
  • Avg. RPE = 7.3
  • Avg. RPD = 1.3

NOTES

• There she is - my first complete round of TACFIT.  I must say that I'm having fun learning/trying new things, and I've been challenged each day in different ways.

• My brain and heart are still warring over whether or not all my gains are going to disappear because I'm training differently, but I'm doing my best to ignore all the noise.

• My resting heart rate is really low (below normal low), so my working heart rate average are wonky.  It's going to be interesting trying to figure out what range to target on the different days (as the calculations I'm supposed to use don't work for me).

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines