Wolverine Wanders While Working Wisely

A big thanks to Lex for her honesty and openness and amazing post.

WOLVERINE'S TRUTH TIME THEATER

• I have been eating to lose weight my entire adult life.  The only times that I have eaten at or above maintenance have been those times in which I have been bingeing.  These bingeing periods have lasted anywhere from a day to several months.

• I want six pack abs.  This is vain, pure and simple, but it has always been a goal.  I'm afraid that, like Sysyphus, I will be forever pushing a stone up a hill only to watch it roll back down again.

• I am happy with my training.

• I am super unhappy with my eating.  I don't want to be this obsessive forever, but I'm afraid not to be.  I don't enjoy myself when I go out with friends, I'm constantly riddled with guilt, I'm bordering on rude in restaurants ("Please halt your conversation while I enter my dinner into MyFitnessPal, would you?"), and I have only been able to go a week and a half without bingeing.

• I'm so tired.

I think that putting this all down in words is a great step to facing it and coming out on the other side. I'm so proud of you and that you are moving forward even though it is scary *hugs*

God, I'm thankful for this forum and my guild.  You guys and gals are amazing.

I hear all of you and everything you're saying is hitting home.  Small measurable steps got me in a really good place with my training.  Logically, the same plan will work for fixing my diet.

Here's my three little changes.  Thoughts?

• Increase calories to 1850 1770 per day (up from 1750), with the goal of ultimately finding maintenance.  Make next increase in two weeks.

• Continue to track but chill the f*** out.  Not everything has to be logged the moment it is consumed.  No more logging at the dinner table.

• Slow down and be more mindful when I eat.  Eat until full, not stuffed.

Small changes are good and sustainable :D

How is your vacation going? Fun I hope and not stressful!

Level 7 Half-Elf Assassin
STR: 22.5 | DEX: 13.75 | STA: 15.75 | CON: 18.5 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 12

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Unchallenge, Seventh

Wow.  A guy goes away for a week and his digs get a complete remodel!

Alright, my friend, I'm officially signed up for my 5k in August. I'm already wondering what the hell I was thinking, but there's no turning back now!

In my head, I'm gonna train a bit. In reality, my training will likely consist of me finding and running a 5k route in the week before the race to make sure I won't fall down, and then calling it good...

Ruh roh!  I guess this means I better get on my own registration?

*registers*

Done!  August 25th here I come!!!

I was going back over your thread today and had a few thoughts.  Waldo and Vector are right, slow and steady win the race.  That said, looking at your posts I see that you are very much like me (if you remove the CDO:) and will have nothing but difficulty with that method.  Methodically grinding out known tasks day after day after day until you die is suicide on the installment plan.  Which is why its nice to occasionally throw in something that, if it doesn't kill you, feels like it should have.  All things in moderation, including moderation.

Waldo had a nice piece in his "on bulking" about hitting both sides of the pendulum.  I thought it was nicely profound.  I would suggest that you consider periodically upping the arc on both sides of the pendulum's swing, while keeping an eye on where it puts your head.  Its like having your own little adventure and it will give you a better idea of what "reasonable" or "moderate" look like for you.  Example:  try a 7 day fast sometime.  You will experience some really extreme emotions, but once you're over the hump its like all of the choices are yours when it comes to food.  Which you might benefit from more than anything else fasting has to offer.  Not what you'd expect after 4 or 5 days of hunger.  Which is the point, I guess, that you stress test "what everybody knows to be true" to see if it is.  You do have to pay attention to what's going on though, or its kind of a waste of time.  

I like the PvP 5k that you have going on with Obax and chris_de_maas.  Its very cool that all of you are upping the bar:)  Make the next one a 50 k and I'll join you!   :highly_amused:

Good point re: slow and steady.  I'm not very good at it and I don't much like it.  I suppose one must decide if this is a character flaw to work through or state of existence that should be harnessed... You sound like you lean more to harnessing my (our?) natural inclination.  Unless I'm misunderstanding?

I am very interested in trying a long fasting session sometime.  I've done a couple 3-5 day fasts before and have enjoyed the test.  I think the only thing holding me back at this point is the affect it will have on my performance.  Maybe the week between challenges...

You should join our PvP anyway.  We could change to "fastest average pace" rather than "fastest time" and anyone could participate with any distance?  You might still beat us all... :)

in light of your recent mindsetchanges... I was wondering if you have ever read any of this guy's stuff? You may not be a Crossfitter but your workouts are definitely the same intensity/ difficulty...

just an opinion (one of many)

All I know is since I have been following more of his suggestions (I tweek it a bit and make it work for me -  but he says to do this) I have felt better than I have in a LONG time. I don't have cravings, or feel the need to binge when I let myself have a eat for the joy of it day. Its really helped me change my relationship with food to a much healthier one.

I'm still very much in the process, but I see definite gains in the strength department

Great resource.  Thanks!  I've never read his blog before, but I definitely found a lot of useful information there.

How's it going are you back from Disneyland yet? Did you have that push up challenge with Cpt. Jack? Hmmm, hey you aren't off somewhere drinking rum with him now and forgetting about your challenge here are you? :)

Yup, back... and recovered.  No push-ups with Jack (No Jack at all!  Lame!), but we did have some fun. :)

I think that putting this all down in words is a great step to facing it and coming out on the other side. I'm so proud of you and that you are moving forward even though it is scary *hugs*

Small changes are good and sustainable :D

How is your vacation going? Fun I hope and not stressful!

Vacation was VERY stressful, but such is the nature of traveling with a baby.  My GENIUS wife had me take some extra time off of work after we got back, however, and our post-vacation-vacation was very nice. :)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

VACATION RECAP

• I survived.
  • I ate like a horse with an overeating problem.
  • I only missed three workouts (travel day, travel day, migraine - OUCH).
  • I missed you guys!
  • I had a good break, but I'm ready to get back to my routine.

WEEK 4 CHALLENGE RECAP

• Target 1: Train

I've completely dropped TACFIT.  On vacation I used the "state of the art" fitness center at the hotel and switched to a more traditional weight lifting program for the duration.  Came home and just sort of continued with it.  I feel like Hercules.  This probably has a lot to do with the calorie surplus and not just the routine, but I've come to the realization that I'm not a quick/intense workout kinda guy.  I like spending some time training.  I like massive amounts of volume.  It's more fun/relaxing/worthwhile for me mentally and physically I just FEEL better.  The 20 min. and done thing just isn't for me.

I'm sticking with the (periodization through) movement goal, however.  Thoroughly enjoying the break that Animal Flow provides.  It's a nice little diversion from my normal training and it forces me to really focus and work at something.

Grade = Incomplete.  I'm consistently training (but not with the same program), I'm making sure to pay attention to my body's signals and take an easy day when necessary (but I don't think training every day = moderate by most definitions), I'm keeping the stress factor low (this one I've actually improved on as the weeks have gone by), but I'm not sticking with the goal as intended at all.  Ah well, may Chaos reign.  It's hard to feel bad about not sticking with the program when it feels this good to switch it up.

• Target 2: Taste

Is it considered a binge if it lasts for an entire week?  Hit my protein, hit my fiber, went way over my calorie target.  This changes my get-to-maintenance plan.  Initial thought was to work my way up from cutting levels slowly.  Yeah.  Shot up to maintenance, passed it, kept going...  Think I'll just pick a number that I think is around maintenance, stick with it for awhile, and wait for my weight to level off (should be a big initial cut and then a plateau after about a week).  I'm thinking 2,000 calories and my weight will level off at 140 lb.  Playing this one by ear.  Chime in with your thoughts if this sounds like a horrible idea to those of you better versed in eating than I.

Grade = Incomplete.  Protein and fiber I'm rocking.  Calories have been all over the place.  Once again, moderation continues to dance just out of reach.

• Target 3: Track

Started tracking everything again.  There's a lesson in this somewhere.  One cannot fight one's nature?

Grade = Incomplete.

• Target 4: Tick-off

So... plan was to paint the patio walls.  Plan has had to change due to... MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF LEAD PAINT.  Yeesh.  We're in the process of interviewing painters as this project has gone from "super DIY guy" to "must use HAZMAT suit" levels.  AppleTV still in wrapper.

Grade = Pending

CONCLUSION

Totally dropped three of my four goals and number four is wonky... this hasn't been my best showing, but I'm having a hard time caring.  Training feels good.  Eating will be easy to wrangle again.  Weight will drop quickly.  Finding maintenance should be fun.  Motivation is high.  There are a lot worse ways to go into week 5.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

What is your calroie goal?

My guess is that you, like most people that move toward a surplus after cutting and (try to) do so in a moderated way, are met with the reality that it is going to take a lot more calories than you thought.

But yeah, the strength gains early in a surplus, and the energy, feel awesome. Your strength should just rocket upward for the next month or so. It does slow, but at first it is madness.

What sort of traditional lifting were you doing?

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

"May Chaos reign"?!  Welcome to the club, oh small and vicious mammal:)

Vacations are almost always binges.  If you stuck to healthy foods (at Disneyland?) it probably counts as bulking.

So, you started tracking again.  Color me shocked!  (I go blaze orange, not fluorescent pink).

Lead.  Bad ju-ju.  Might want to have the family stay somewhere else during the abatement process.

Slow and steady is my life challenge.  My natural bent is the explosive burst followed by utter sloth.  Except when its not, which is often enough to confuse the issue.  For some of us, Chaos isn't a choice.

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

What is your calroie goal?

My guess is that you, like most people that move toward a surplus after cutting and (try to) do so in a moderated way, are met with the reality that it is going to take a lot more calories than you thought.

But yeah, the strength gains early in a surplus, and the energy, feel awesome. Your strength should just rocket upward for the next month or so. It does slow, but at first it is madness.

What sort of traditional lifting were you doing?

Initial guess at maintenance is 2000-2200/day.  Based on my data (and if my body plays along), I should plateau somewhere around 140 lb. at that level.  I'm thinking that will be a good range (waist/height ratio and bodyfat-wise) for my initial foray into maintenance and a good starting point for a bulk.  It's a mentally comfortable place for me to be with regards to body comp. (not too lean to maintain and not too fluffy to make me too uncomfortable).

I'm open to having that number shifted around, though.  We all know I can do restricted really well so I'm not afraid of that number going down, but if you're right and I need more than I think... this should prove to be a fun experiment. Totally uncharted territory!  I've never had a calorie goal in the 2000s before...

During the vacation, traditional = pull-up, bench press, dip, overhead press, squat, and deadlift.  Traditional since returning home has been a lot of dumbbell work with a upper/lower, push/pull split.  I'm pondering doing a round of P90X, actually.  I bought it years ago but never made it through as I didn't have the conditioning to train every day.  I have the opposite problem now so... figured it might be time to try again.  And I love curls more than I like to admit... ;)

Nice work Wolverine! I am glad you found something you are enjoying more. 

Thanks, 9K!

Slow and steady is my life challenge.  My natural bent is the explosive burst followed by utter sloth.  Except when its not, which is often enough to confuse the issue.  For some of us, Chaos isn't a choice.

My natural bent is definitely in line with yours.  Gonna have to figure out whether I actually care about changing that... seeing as how every slow and steady goal has failed so far...

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Did you find that planche work etc... transfered to the bench, handstand pushups to the overhead press?

Yes... and no...

For both, the top position (bar extended) was very strong.  Stabilizer muscles were also very strong (not a lot of lateral movement, much more efficient reps in general).  Sticking spot was definitely in the hole for both, though.  Not working the full ROM meant a weaker bottom position.  Less of an issue with the bench, but for the press I was definitely bummed with the results (won't be an issue if you are focusing on HSPUs as opposed to HeSPUs).

But I'm not even close to where I want to be in either the planche or HSPU, though.  I'd be interested in your results...

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

It looks like you've confirmed a lot about yourself over the last few weeks. :) I'll be interested to see what your workouts look like in the future. Now that I'm in the middle of my second phase of simple strength, I'm starting to crave more movement. I think what I'm really starting to miss is moving heavy things that aren't me, but I guess this always happens, and is why I've always gone back and forth between DBs and bodyweight-only. Why can't I have everything I like all at once? I've also been debating a round of P90x ...

I'm so glad you got to enjoy your vacation! I hope your family had a great time as well.

Welcome back, fearless leader! Glad you had a good vacation, and an even better post-vacation vacation (those really are the best)!! It's also great to see you back in such a good frame of mind. Maybe you ditched some things, but you found (or confirmed) what works best for you, and in the end that's probably more important than sticking to a goal that's not really doin' it for you.

Good point re: slow and steady.  I'm not very good at it and I don't much like it.  I suppose one must decide if this is a character flaw to work through or state of existence that should be harnessed... You sound like you lean more to harnessing my (our?) natural inclination.  Unless I'm misunderstanding?

I feel like it can be both a positive and a negative all at once. I'm pretty much the other end of the spectrum from you, I like the slow and steady approach, but I do get impatient with it sometimes and feel like I could use a good dose of crazy intensity. I don't know how to do that any more than you know how to take it slow, but I, for one, think I really need to find a way to kick it up a notch on a more regular basis. Like most things, it all comes down to balance, and I definitely haven't found that balance yet...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Welcome back! We missed you too. Glad you had a good (post-vacation) vacation and very glad to see you find it hard to care too much about missing those goals. Welcome back to the weighted-non-assassiny world ;) Interesting to hear about how well the strength transfer is turning out. It reminds me of what Ido Portal says; the bigger the base of the pyramid the higher it can get. I think that those stabilizer muscle improvements and better reps overall will definitely help going higher weight, faster. 

I think what I'm really starting to miss is moving heavy things that aren't me, but I guess this always happens, and is why I've always gone back and forth between DBs and bodyweight-only. Why can't I have everything I like all at once? I've also been debating a round of P90x ...

Well why can't you have everything you like all at once exactly? 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

You can work on all of your components of fitness simultaneously, but it takes a great deal longer to progress because you have to divvy up your time and energy.  Or, if you happen to have a lot of time and energy it is possible to burn yourself out.  Very easy to just bag it in frustration as a result.  

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

It looks like you've confirmed a lot about yourself over the last few weeks. :) I'll be interested to see what your workouts look like in the future. Now that I'm in the middle of my second phase of simple strength, I'm starting to crave more movement. I think what I'm really starting to miss is moving heavy things that aren't me, but I guess this always happens, and is why I've always gone back and forth between DBs and bodyweight-only. Why can't I have everything I like all at once? I've also been debating a round of P90x ...

I'm so glad you got to enjoy your vacation! I hope your family had a great time as well.

I have, it's true.  Chief among them - I still suck at followthrough. :)

If you decide to pull the trigger on a round of P90X lemme know.  We can hold each other accountable.  Maybe drag Drsloomis into the mix (I think he's still doing it... along with Insanity).

Welcome back, fearless leader! Glad you had a good vacation, and an even better post-vacation vacation (those really are the best)!! It's also great to see you back in such a good frame of mind. Maybe you ditched some things, but you found (or confirmed) what works best for you, and in the end that's probably more important than sticking to a goal that's not really doin' it for you.

I feel like it can be both a positive and a negative all at once. I'm pretty much the other end of the spectrum from you, I like the slow and steady approach, but I do get impatient with it sometimes and feel like I could use a good dose of crazy intensity. I don't know how to do that any more than you know how to take it slow, but I, for one, think I really need to find a way to kick it up a notch on a more regular basis. Like most things, it all comes down to balance, and I definitely haven't found that balance yet...

Thanks for the welcome back, O!

Maybe someday we'll meet in the middle?  :)

Welcome back! We missed you too. Glad you had a good (post-vacation) vacation and very glad to see you find it hard to care too much about missing those goals. Welcome back to the weighted-non-assassiny world ;) Interesting to hear about how well the strength transfer is turning out. It reminds me of what Ido Portal says; the bigger the base of the pyramid the higher it can get. I think that those stabilizer muscle improvements and better reps overall will definitely help going higher weight, faster. 

Thanks, KBG!  I've been solely bodyweight (other than my brief, failed foray into TACFIT) for many many moons now.  Definitely time for a change up.

Yea ofcourse, I worded that question pretty dumb xD

But I was wondering what was holding you back from combining bodyweight and lifting stuff? 

Lex is one of those annoying amazing people who lay out goals for themselves and then actually stick to them.  She's got a few more weeks before she can even research a new program let alone implement one.  Unless, of course, she wants to pull a Wolverine... ;)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Vacation was VERY stressful, but such is the nature of traveling with a baby.  My GENIUS wife had me take some extra time off of work after we got back, however, and our post-vacation-vacation was very nice. :)

See, wives are good for something (and sometimes you should listen to them ;)) Lol. How old is the boy wonder?

VACATION RECAP

• I survived.
  • I ate like a horse with an overeating problem.
  • I only missed three workouts (travel day, travel day, migraine - OUCH).
  • I missed you guys!
  • I had a good break, but I'm ready to get back to my routine.

CONCLUSION

Totally dropped three of my four goals and number four is wonky... this hasn't been my best showing, but I'm having a hard time caring.  Training feels good.  Eating will be easy to wrangle again.  Weight will drop quickly.  Finding maintenance should be fun.  Motivation is high.  There are a lot worse ways to go into week 5.

You know what my favorite part of this whole thing is? You seem happy and at peace and that is SOOOO much more important than following goals that are making you miserable. And we missed you too!! Glad you had a good trip :D

You can totally have everything all at once...as long as 'everything' means 'a few things'...or you do very little of all of it. :)

See, wives are good for something (and sometimes you should listen to them ;)) Lol. How old is the boy wonder?

You know what my favorite part of this whole thing is? You seem happy and at peace and that is SOOOO much more important than following goals that are making you miserable. And we missed you too!! Glad you had a good trip :D

Wives are good for many things... just don't let them know I said so. ;)  Boy Wonder is 14 months old and in the wonderfully awkward infant/toddler combo stage.

Thanks, SJ.  Your reasoning is impeccable and a good reminder.  Goals are supposed to be helpful and encouraging and if they're not... they need to go!

You can totally have everything all at once...as long as 'everything' means 'a few things'...or you do very little of all of it. :)

In comparison to the stars in the sky... "all the things" = a very few. ;)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Yoga Day!

• Mountain Pose
  • Wide-Feet Forward Hamstring Stretch
  • Wide Forward Bent-Over Torso Twist
  • Split-Leg Forward Hamstring Stretch
  • Standing Side Stretch
  • Astanga Sun Salutations
  • Dog Calf Stretch
  • Runner's Pose
  • Crescent Pose
  • Warrior One
  • Warrior Two
  • Reverse Warrior
  • Triangle Pose
  • Twisting Triangle
  • Chair to Twisting Chair (Prayer Twist)
  • Right-Angle Pose to Extended Right-Angle Pose and Grab
  • Prayer Twist from Runner's Pose to Side Arm Balance
  • Warrior Three to Standing Splits
  • Half Moon to Twisting Half Moon
  • Tree
  • Royal Dancer
  • Standing Leg Extensions
  • Crane
  • Seated Spinal Stretch
  • Cat Stretch
  • Frog
  • Bridge
  • Plough into Shoulder Stand with Leg Variations into Plough
  • Table
  • Cobbler Pose
  • One-Legged Hamstring Stretch into Two-Legged Hamstring Stretch
  • Touch the Sky
  • Boat
  • Half Boat
  • Scissor
  • Torso Twist Hold
  • Deep Torso Twist Hold
  • Three Level Touch the Sky
  • Side Twist
  • Glute Stretch
  • Happy Baby
  • Child's Pose
  • Shavasana (Corpse Pose)
  • Fetal Pose
  • Mediation Pose (Lotus)

IN OTHER NEWS

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Yea ofcourse, I worded that question pretty dumb xD

But I was wondering what was holding you back from combining bodyweight and lifting stuff? 

I've had Floor 1 for a while, but after my first 4 weeks with it, I decided I needed some extra work to really get the full benefits of the program. So I made myself a promise that once I achieved a solid 30 sec hollow body hold in the fully extended position, I would pick up the program again. For the last several months, I've been building my core strength, strengthening my wrists, and enhancing my mobility. I was really hoping to start the program at the beginning of this 6 week challenge, but with my husband out of town, I don't think I can spare the time and energy.

P90x is bodyweight and lifting, but I also love handbalancing. :D

If you decide to pull the trigger on a round of P90X lemme know.  We can hold each other accountable.  Maybe drag Drsloomis into the mix (I think he's still doing it... along with Insanity).

Lex is one of those annoying amazing people who lay out goals for themselves and then actually stick to them.  She's got a few more weeks before she can even research a new program let alone implement one.  Unless, of course, she wants to pull a Wolverine... ;)

I'll have to go back through the materials again and see if it's what I remember. Also, I have to consider whether I really want to spend that much time with Tony Horton. ;) I'll definitely let you know if I decide to try again!

I think the difference is that I only make promises to myself that I know I can keep. ;) I don't take grand risks like you, which I admire.

Haha, it's the "very little of all it" that frustrated me for so long!

Yoga Day!

• Mountain Pose
  • Wide-Feet Forward Hamstring Stretch
  • Wide Forward Bent-Over Torso Twist
  • Split-Leg Forward Hamstring Stretch
  • Standing Side Stretch
  • Astanga Sun Salutations
  • Dog Calf Stretch
  • Runner's Pose
  • Crescent Pose
  • Warrior One
  • Warrior Two
  • Reverse Warrior
  • Triangle Pose
  • Twisting Triangle
  • Chair to Twisting Chair (Prayer Twist)
  • Right-Angle Pose to Extended Right-Angle Pose and Grab
  • Prayer Twist from Runner's Pose to Side Arm Balance
  • Warrior Three to Standing Splits
  • Half Moon to Twisting Half Moon
  • Tree
  • Royal Dancer
  • Standing Leg Extensions
  • Crane
  • Seated Spinal Stretch
  • Cat Stretch
  • Frog
  • Bridge
  • Plough into Shoulder Stand with Leg Variations into Plough
  • Table
  • Cobbler Pose
  • One-Legged Hamstring Stretch into Two-Legged Hamstring Stretch
  • Touch the Sky
  • Boat
  • Half Boat
  • Scissor
  • Torso Twist Hold
  • Deep Torso Twist Hold
  • Three Level Touch the Sky
  • Side Twist
  • Glute Stretch
  • Happy Baby
  • Child's Pose
  • Shavasana (Corpse Pose)
  • Fetal Pose
  • Mediation Pose (Lotus)

IN OTHER NEWS

How do you write all of that stuff out? I get bored just writing out the basic outline of my workouts, lol. Also, I don't want to be anywhere near that mountain ...

Wives are good for many things... just don't let them know I said so. ;)  Boy Wonder is 14 months old and in the wonderfully awkward infant/toddler combo stage.

Thanks, SJ.  Your reasoning is impeccable and a good reminder.  Goals are supposed to be helpful and encouraging and if they're not... they need to go!

I'm sure the boy wonder is also very cute and adorable (when he wants to be ;))

That's what I'm here for!! I love cheering you on and I really love seeing you happy and excited about your workouts again :D

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines