Wolverine Wanders While Working Wisely

I'm with Croman. You are definitely capable physically of running any of those distances. But there is a head game when it comes to the long stuff.

I've done a bit of running in the past. Did a half a few years ago, it was awesome fun and a cool experience!

But now I find I get bored with the long distances. I don't like spending that much time when I can get the same endorphin rush from something shorter and more intense.

I kinda have ADHD when it comes to working out though. I like switching things up

and speaking of switching things...

Looks like a good adjustment plan you've come up with :)

you're always awesome anyway! Keep inspiring us to greatness!

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Glad to see you've found a way to make things work for you. Your idea to stick to maintenance calories for a bit to get the other food issues under control sounds like a good one to me, it'll let you focus more on the one thing without having the challenge of eating a deficit on top of it. One step at a time may be slow, but it'll get you there (this is something that's hard for me too, I want to do all the things and do them now, but I know from past experience that that's a recipe for disaster...)

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

During the week between challenges I ate at around maintenance all week and I felt a ton better after that mentally. It wasn't super difficult to stay under my calories like it had been the few weeks before. It was hard to convince myself that this was going to get me towards my goal, but I really think that it helped. I've been eating more consistently again instead of having an occasional day when I go over on cals.

I totally support your decision. You tried something new but it just wasn't working. BUT the great thing is that you did get something out of it. :D Your new program looks awesome. Its still something different than what you were doing before but more your style. I hope this week goes super well!

The break between challenges definitely helps.  I'll have to think some more on using it to my advantage.

Thanks, SJ!  I've definitely enjoyed the experiment so far!

My point wasn't that you should jump into a full marathon right now.  I was saying that you could do it with your current level of fitness.  For what its worth, I think you would enjoy a series of shorter runs over something like a year.  Unlock each achievement in order and brag it up.  Do a 5k, a 10 k, the half, and then the full.  Or several of the 5 and 10 k's to get your head into the game of distance running.  Like anything, there's a "trick" to it that involves a bit of experience.  Doesn't sound like you've done much running, so ease into the various distances to see how your body reacts.  That said, once you decide you want to start unlocking the achievements on this skill tree, don't hesitate to commit to a running event to see what you can do.  And you don't have to be as mental about it as I am to have fun with it:)

This sounds awfully... reasonable coming from you.

It's good that you readjusted to make the program better for you and your needs. There is no point in sticking with it "just because" and feeling miserable about it if you feel just a few tweaks can make the experience that much better for you.

I hope you're back to your happy place and are more at peace.

Also: INSANE PROGRESS!!!!! Seriously, your body has completely changed since last year, it's awe inspiring though I wouldn't call your progress "slow". Seriously, who do you think you're kidding?! :tongue:

I am definitely back in the land of the sane and content.  Very happy to be back in this head space.

Thanks!  :)  I'm really proud of how far I've come (and the photos only show the last year which is only about 1/3 of my journey so far) and how my plan is working... even if it doesn't seem like it on a day-to-day basis.  It's a good reminder.

I'm with Croman. You are definitely capable physically of running any of those distances. But there is a head game when it comes to the long stuff.

I've done a bit of running in the past. Did a half a few years ago, it was awesome fun and a cool experience!

But now I find I get bored with the long distances. I don't like spending that much time when I can get the same endorphin rush from something shorter and more intense.

I kinda have ADHD when it comes to working out though. I like switching things up

and speaking of switching things...

Looks like a good adjustment plan you've come up with :)

you're always awesome anyway! Keep inspiring us to greatness!

I do not find running all that interesting either.  I do find competing compelling, however.  I have a feeling that whatever I decide to do, I'll be signing up and racing but not doing too much training.  Running with any sort of regularity sounds awful.

It's easy to be awesome when surrounded by such an awesome guild. ;)

Glad to see you've found a way to make things work for you. Your idea to stick to maintenance calories for a bit to get the other food issues under control sounds like a good one to me, it'll let you focus more on the one thing without having the challenge of eating a deficit on top of it. One step at a time may be slow, but it'll get you there (this is something that's hard for me too, I want to do all the things and do them now, but I know from past experience that that's a recipe for disaster...)

Thanks, O.  Still thinking about the best way to tackle my food issues while staying sane and happy in the process.  I'll share what I come up with... whenever I come up with it. :)  In the mean time, I'm sticking to my original goal for this challenge and plugging away!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I'M AN ANIMAL. RAWR.

Workout based on Mike Fitch's Animal Flow.  Not so much of a routine as movement practice at this point.

• Warmup
    Jump Rope
    Wrist and Hip Mobility
    Ape Reach
    Flexion Chain Stretch
    Hip Stretch
    Loaded Beast Stretch
    Crab Reach
    Scorpion Reach

• Traveling Forms Practice
    Forward / Backward / Side Ape
    Forward / Backward Beast
    Forward / Backward Crab

NOTES

• Fun.  Definitely something I'm going to add into the regular rotation.

• The traveling crab is similar to the "crab walk" that we all learned as children except for a few minor differences.  Those minor differences make the move freakin' difficult to master.  By far the hardest of the traveling forms for me.

• Lex better watch out.  I think I'm gonna pull out some Wolverine-style flow for the video challenge.

• Only thwacked myself three times with the jump rope this morning. Progress.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Thanks, O.  Still thinking about the best way to tackle my food issues while staying sane and happy in the process.  I'll share what I come up with... whenever I come up with it. :)  In the mean time, I'm sticking to my original goal for this challenge and plugging away!

That's not an easy struggle.  Especially when you're already fairly lean, it's really a balancing act.  Test one strategy at a time, but don't be afraid to quickly discard a strategy that clearly isn't working.  Hang in there Wolvie!

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

That's not an easy struggle.  Especially when you're already fairly lean, it's really a balancing act.  Test one strategy at a time, but don't be afraid to quickly discard a strategy that clearly isn't working.  Hang in there Wolvie!

-jj

Thanks, JJ!  You're right, it's gotten more and more difficult the leaner I've gotten.  Strategy testing used to be a several week process, but as I've gotten leaner the effects of different diet types can be seen a lot more rapidly.  Thanks for the reminder to adjust my timetable!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I do not find running all that interesting either.  I do find competing compelling, however.  I have a feeling that whatever I decide to do, I'll be signing up and racing but not doing too much training.  Running with any sort of regularity sounds awful.

Running with any sort of regularity IS awful. BUT I'm almost committed to a 5k later this year. A friend and I are trying to get a group together to do one, and if that fails I'll bully my sister into doing it with me, since I could use the challenge. So in the spirit of competition, who do you think is faster over 5k, me or you?

(I'm gonna go with you being faster, but I do have experience on my side, since I run that distance or close to it semi-regularly. But there's really only one way to find out for sure.....)

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

• Lex better watch out.  I think I'm gonna pull out some Wolverine-style flow for the video challenge.

Haha, I had a feeling this was coming. :D

I finally got a chance to catch up on your thread and I'm so glad to see you're thriving again. Your plan sounds like a great compromise! I think the 4x7 would probably work best for someone who doesn't really enjoy exercising. For those of us addicts who crave it, it's just not enough. :)

As for your nutrition struggles, I understand exactly where you are, and I'll help in any way I can.

only 3 rope thwacks... hm not bad, not bad... now try double unders with a speed rope heheheh 

that'll show you what a mark a rope can leave :P (I usually look like I've been whipped when I get done with a practice session... well not so much now that I'm improving I guess)

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

The break between challenges definitely helps.  I'll have to think some more on using it to my advantage.

Thanks, SJ!  I've definitely enjoyed the experiment so far!

You're welcome ;) And for me the break between challenges is both good an bad. Its nice to relax a little but I miss my support structure during that week. Cause I want to take a little bit of a break but not slide all the way back into bad habits which can be a tricky balance.

Only thwacked myself three times with the jump rope this morning. Progress.

Baby steps (and bruises, lots of bruises, lol)

Level 7 Half-Elf Assassin
STR: 22.5 | DEX: 13.75 | STA: 15.75 | CON: 18.5 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 12

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Unchallenge, Seventh

Where'd you get these animal flow instructions? Did you buy it? 

I'm not sure where he learned about it, but I posted some stuff in another thread if you'd like to check it out.

I love using animal movements/ground work in a variety of ways. I've found everything online for free though. Mike Fitch has a lot of great tutorials on his blog. Here's a few of the resources I've used:

Flow Fit

I use some for my warm up, as part of my workouts, and cool down. I don't think most of these are about getting stronger, but more about learning to move your body in concert. Once you start perfecting movements, they can be really great for improving strength endurance. What I love most about them is that they are just plain fun!

Thanks, JJ! You're right, it's gotten more and more difficult the leaner I've gotten. Strategy testing used to be a several week process, but as I've gotten leaner the effects of different diet types can be seen a lot more rapidly. Thanks for the reminder to adjust my timetable!

Always pay attention to the signals your body is sending you. Hormones have psychological side effects and the leaner you get the more magnified that becomes. A lot of times where your head is can be specifically traced to your diet and training.

This challenge I have been cutting hard with one refeed day a week, Fridays. Add to that my pretty constant training routine and work week, and things have become almost clockwork predictable. By the end of the work week I'm nervous and sleepless (high cortisol, caused by training, low cals, and subpar sleep, which it contributes to) and bummed out (low leptin, caused by low cals over time). The Fri refeed causes pretty major changes though (Fri night I feel like a million bucks),. Sat/Sun I'm super tired and constantly thinking about sex (testosterone surges and cortisol big time declines), and am generally in real good spirits and not hungry (leptin increased, ghrealin decreased). I expect in the coming weeks to also start getting hungrier and hungrier leading up to Friday refeeds, will probably get ravenously hungry, where it totally occupies thoughts (ghrelin rising, due to chronically low leptin over time).

Depression is a bit tricky to trace back to diet mentally (isn't like ravenous hunger, which is rather obvious), but diet is a big time cause of it, or a major contributing factor, especially if you are cutting while lean. It is a side effect that you have to expect, a sign of low leptin.

Just like where my head is, the scale is just as predictable.  As cortisol and ghrelin rise, and leptin and testosterone fall during the work week leading up to refeed day, loss stalls and weight starts rising (without an increase in the tape) later in the week.  Weight spikes with the refeed and it persists for about 48 hours.  Then the whoosh starts and I start dropping weight like crazy for another 24-48 hours.  By that point I'm in to the work week, I get a couple low days, then the late week rise starts occuring again leading up to the refeed.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Nice work!

Thanks, 9K!

Running with any sort of regularity IS awful. BUT I'm almost committed to a 5k later this year. A friend and I are trying to get a group together to do one, and if that fails I'll bully my sister into doing it with me, since I could use the challenge. So in the spirit of competition, who do you think is faster over 5k, me or you?

(I'm gonna go with you being faster, but I do have experience on my side, since I run that distance or close to it semi-regularly. But there's really only one way to find out for sure.....)

Well... *thumbs quickly through past challenges*... the last time I ran 5K I clocked in at around 29 minutes.  How's that stack up to your time?  I figure on race day my pace our times will be better.

PvP?

My race will be August 25th and I won't be training specifically for it, just continuing with my regular workout routine.  Loser... has to plaster their challenge thread (we'll be in a new challenge by then) with the praises of either Obax and the Chaossins or Wolverine and the Tabulators (depending on who wins, of course).  And I'm not talking about a brief blurb and we're done... oh no... winner decides/creates (within reason of course) what appears on the loser's thread...

A warning: if you lose you will have spandex or fluorescent pink or both on your challenge thread.

Haha, I had a feeling this was coming. :D

I finally got a chance to catch up on your thread and I'm so glad to see you're thriving again. Your plan sounds like a great compromise! I think the 4x7 would probably work best for someone who doesn't really enjoy exercising. For those of us addicts who crave it, it's just not enough. :)

As for your nutrition struggles, I understand exactly where you are, and I'll help in any way I can.

Damn, I gotta work on being less predictable...

I think Waldo is right and that the huge mental downturn was diet related.  As soon as I binged (not saying it's a healthy fix, mind you, just that I did it) I felt a million times better (after the guilt and the bloat went away, of course).  Having a reason behind the speed bump has been very helpful.  Now I just have to figure out a way to accomplish my goal AND fix my relationship with food.  Should be interesting.  What would YOU do?

only 3 rope thwacks... hm not bad, not bad... now try double unders with a speed rope heheheh 

that'll show you what a mark a rope can leave :tongue: (I usually look like I've been whipped when I get done with a practice session... well not so much now that I'm improving I guess)

Apparently, my new jump rope skills were just a fluke.  This morning I couldn't get a rhythm going to save my life.  I'll stick to my bunny hops and girly (as in "six year old with pigtails" and not "female"... as most of the women I know could kick my butt) skips for now, thanks. ;)

Where'd you get these animal flow instructions? Did you buy it? 

Lex's videos got me started.  Check out her thread.  But, yes, to answer your question I did buy it.  The vids are worth it if you've got the cash.  He walks through all the travels, transitions, drills, and combos.  Also included are 6(?) sample workouts, though, really once you get the skills I imagine it will be more fun to string them together yourself.

You're welcome ;) And for me the break between challenges is both good an bad. Its nice to relax a little but I miss my support structure during that week. Cause I want to take a little bit of a break but not slide all the way back into bad habits which can be a tricky balance.

Baby steps (and bruises, lots of bruises, lol)

Yeah, I need to learn "I'm going to relax my rules a bit for a week".  Right now my "I'm going to relax my rules a bit and EAT ALL THE THINGS AND STUFF MYSELF SILLY AND FEEL HORRIBLE ABOUT MYSELF for a week" isn't really the healthiest of attitudes to have.

Always pay attention to the signals your body is sending you. Hormones have psychological side effects and the leaner you get the more magnified that becomes. A lot of times where your head is can be specifically traced to your diet and training.

This challenge I have been cutting hard with one refeed day a week, Fridays. Add to that my pretty constant training routine and work week, and things have become almost clockwork predictable. By the end of the work week I'm nervous and sleepless (high cortisol, caused by training, low cals, and subpar sleep, which it contributes to) and bummed out (low leptin, caused by low cals over time). The Fri refeed causes pretty major changes though (Fri night I feel like a million bucks),. Sat/Sun I'm super tired and constantly thinking about sex (testosterone surges and cortisol big time declines), and am generally in real good spirits and not hungry (leptin increased, ghrealin decreased). I expect in the coming weeks to also start getting hungrier and hungrier leading up to Friday refeeds, will probably get ravenously hungry, where it totally occupies thoughts (ghrelin rising, due to chronically low leptin over time).

Depression is a bit tricky to trace back to diet mentally (isn't like ravenous hunger, which is rather obvious), but diet is a big time cause of it, or a major contributing factor, especially if you are cutting while lean. It is a side effect that you have to expect, a sign of low leptin.

Just like where my head is, the scale is just as predictable.  As cortisol and ghrelin rise, and leptin and testosterone fall during the work week leading up to refeed day, loss stalls and weight starts rising (without an increase in the tape) later in the week.  Weight spikes with the refeed and it persists for about 48 hours.  Then the whoosh starts and I start dropping weight like crazy for another 24-48 hours.  By that point I'm in to the work week, I get a couple low days, then the late week rise starts occuring again leading up to the refeed.

Thanks.  Sending you a PM.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

TACFIT ECHO

• Complete exercises in circuit
  • 90 sec. work x 30 sec. rest
  • Repeat circuit two times

• Jump Rope

• Mobility
    Lifting Camel
    Shirt Ripping
    Twisting Lunge
    Prayer Shoulder Plyo
    Leg Swing

• [ 90 / 30 x 5 ] x 2
    Medicine Ball Neck Squat @ 8 lb.
    Quad Press Basic
    Ring Double Row
    CB Gama Cast @ 16.5 lb.
    (Traveling Shoulder Bridge) Leg Thread

• Compensation
    Standing Forward Fold
    Floor Bow Pull
    Twisted Lunge
    Standing Back Bend
    King Dancer Basic

NOTES

• Finally, some repeat exercises!  It's nice to be familiar with at least a couple of moves.  The quad press, ring double row, gama cast, and (my nemesis) the traveling shoulder bridge leg thread were all repeats, AND I've noticeably improved on all of them.  Forward progress!

• The medicine ball neck squat was the only new move and it was simple and fun to learn.  Basically, put a med. ball behind your neck, squat down, swing med. ball up and over your head and perform a soft slam, stand up as you place the med. ball behind your head again.  The first progression to the superheroesque jumping med. ball slam.  Really looking forward to that one.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I think Waldo is right and that the huge mental downturn was diet related.  As soon as I binged (not saying it's a healthy fix, mind you, just that I did it) I felt a million times better (after the guilt and the bloat went away, of course).  Having a reason behind the speed bump has been very helpful.  Now I just have to figure out a way to accomplish my goal AND fix my relationship with food.  Should be interesting.  What would YOU do? PM.

This was totally not directed at me, but I'll answer it anyway. I'd put my mind to adding 5# of muscle in the next three months. I would absolutely NOT bulk, but really just turn your mind to this as an objective. I think you would end up where you want to be. :)

I tried cutting really hard before, and it just wasn't for me. Are you shooting for around 7-8% bodyfat? Greg O'Gallagher had some great tips in this article, essentially summarizing a lot of the stuff Waldo has already mentioned.

As for what I did when I kept going through the binge-guilt-restrict cycle, I had to quit "dieting." I had become angry, obsessive, I couldn't share my food, and I kept exercising more and more to "earn" extra calories. Exercising more made me hungrier, and then I really wanted to eat everything in sight. Intermittent fasting was a major factor in breaking me of this cycle. Even though I only fasted four 14 hours, I was finally getting in touch with what it felt like to be hungry, and how I should feel when I'm satisfied.Trying to spread 1600 cals over 6 meals wasn't working for me either, so I switched to 2-3 meals per day. This meant less cooking, fewer choices to make, and actually saved me a bit of money. Slowly, I started working on increasing my calories and trying to allow my metabolism to repair. I gained back about 5-7lbs since Oct '12, but looking at pics, I'm fairly confident a lot of that was muscle. I'm also losing fat now while being able to eat around 1900 cals. I'm not saying this will work for you, but it's what got me started on my path. :)

Well... *thumbs quickly through past challenges*... the last time I ran 5K I clocked in at around 29 minutes.  How's that stack up to your time?  I figure on race day my pace our times will be better.

PvP?

My race will be August 25th and I won't be training specifically for it, just continuing with my regular workout routine.  Loser... has to plaster their challenge thread (we'll be in a new challenge by then) with the praises of either Obax and the Chaossins or Wolverine and the Tabulators (depending on who wins, of course).  And I'm not talking about a brief blurb and we're done... oh no... winner decides/creates (within reason of course) what appears on the loser's thread...

A warning: if you lose you will have spandex or fluorescent pink or both on your challenge thread.

It's been a while since I've done a full 5k but I think my time is about the same as yours, maybe a tad slower. I'm game for a PvP, though I've never done one before, so don't really know how it works. The race I'm thinking of is not 'til October (it's Oktoberfest, there's beer after) but I might be able to convince my sister to do one in August instead (or as well, she's a big fan of the beer at the end).

I agree to your terms, just so long as it's not me that has to wear the spandex or fluorescent pink (I could stomach the pink if I had to, but this one does NOT do spandex). You may have the advantage, August/beginning of September is effing hot around here, and I do about as well with heat as I do with spandex...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

This was totally not directed at me, but I'll answer it anyway. I'd put my mind to adding 5# of muscle in the next three months. I would absolutely NOT bulk, but really just turn your mind to this as an objective. I think you would end up where you want to be. :)

So... change nothing but my mindset?

I tried cutting really hard before, and it just wasn't for me. Are you shooting for around 7-8% bodyfat? Greg O'Gallagher had some great tips in this article, essentially summarizing a lot of the stuff Waldo has already mentioned.

As for what I did when I kept going through the binge-guilt-restrict cycle, I had to quit "dieting." I had become angry, obsessive, I couldn't share my food, and I kept exercising more and more to "earn" extra calories. Exercising more made me hungrier, and then I really wanted to eat everything in sight. Intermittent fasting was a major factor in breaking me of this cycle. Even though I only fasted four 14 hours, I was finally getting in touch with what it felt like to be hungry, and how I should feel when I'm satisfied.Trying to spread 1600 cals over 6 meals wasn't working for me either, so I switched to 2-3 meals per day. This meant less cooking, fewer choices to make, and actually saved me a bit of money. Slowly, I started working on increasing my calories and trying to allow my metabolism to repair. I gained back about 5-7lbs since Oct '12, but looking at pics, I'm fairly confident a lot of that was muscle. I'm also losing fat now while being able to eat around 1900 cals. I'm not saying this will work for you, but it's what got me started on my path. :)

I thought I was shooting for 10%... now that I'm at 10% I'm shooting for single digits.  7-8% sounds about right.  If I have to get lower than that I'm waving a big freaking' white flag.

That article is great!  Thanks for sharing it.  Picked up some good tips.

Do you aim for 1900 a day across the board or do you cycle and average at the end of the week?

It's been a while since I've done a full 5k but I think my time is about the same as yours, maybe a tad slower. I'm game for a PvP, though I've never done one before, so don't really know how it works. The race I'm thinking of is not 'til October (it's Oktoberfest, there's beer after) but I might be able to convince my sister to do one in August instead (or as well, she's a big fan of the beer at the end).

I agree to your terms, just so long as it's not me that has to wear the spandex or fluorescent pink (I could stomach the pink if I had to, but this one does NOT do spandex). You may have the advantage, August/beginning of September is effing hot around here, and I do about as well with heat as I do with spandex...

PvP = We declare we are having one... and then we have one... and then the winner torments the loser for fun and profit.

You can do your 5K whenever you want, we'll just compare times whenever we've both completed one.  There's probably one in October that I can do... or I can just do mine in August and you'll have the benefit of knowing my time before you run yours in October.  Or, I'll share my time with an unbiased third party (maybe a grumpy caveman?) who will keep it secret until you have completed your race and then we'll compare.  Whatevs.

No spandex or pink requirements should you lose.  I fully believe in the winner celebrating by tormenting/bragging/spamming the loser, as opposed to the loser being forced to do something embarrassing to themselves.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Enh, I can man up and do one in August. The only one I can find in my area is on Aug. 18. I'll be keeping my time a secret so as to not provide you with extra motivation (though I'm sure you won't have trouble beating it anyway...) At the very least, this'll give me a reason to keep running though the summer, since hopefully my police test will be happening at the end of August too.

Consider the PvP declared!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

It may not concern me directly but this was such an interesting post, thanks so much for that Waldo!

PvP = We declare we are having one... and then we have one... and then the winner torments the loser for fun and profit.

You can do your 5K whenever you want, we'll just compare times whenever we've both completed one.  There's probably one in October that I can do... or I can just do mine in August and you'll have the benefit of knowing my time before you run yours in October.  Or, I'll share my time with an unbiased third party (maybe a grumpy caveman?) who will keep it secret until you have completed your race and then we'll compare.  Whatevs.

No spandex or pink requirements should you lose.  I fully believe in the winner celebrating by tormenting/bragging/spamming the loser, as opposed to the loser being forced to do something embarrassing to themselves.

May I join you guys?

Level 6 Amazon Assassin Ranger

challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

the rebuilding of the Amazon: #6

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines