Waldo 'n Teh Abz, Pt 2

Waldo

Well looks like my first attempt at a reefed up to maintenance is going to be a bust (last time I did a reefed I stayed within my daily cals, just a big shot of carbs). Not sure I'm going to get that high. Trying. Getting megacals from carbs alone ain't easy. Up to 571g C, 55g F, 218g P today, 3512 cals (need 3963 to hit target). Full as can be right now, given up on food and going straight to sweet tea/lemonade mix.

In other news after my workout I definitely noticed a little more detail in my abs unflexed. More progress than there has been in a long time. Hopefully the reefed triggers a whoosh and Sunday's pics are wowzers. Increased LBM is definitely noticeable, muscles feel notably fuller.

Workout Log - 6/7
False Grip Chest to Bar Pullups - 10e++, 10e++ reps
Tuck Planche Pushup Practice - 5 min

Static Upper Body

Standard warmup/mobility/cooldown

Handstand Wall Walking - 52 reps

Planche Lean - 20 sec
Tuck Planche (ground, leg/arm contact) - 8, 10 sec
Tuck Planche (PB's, no contact) - 10, 10, 10 sec (48 sec total)
Middle Split Hold - 9, 8, 9, 10, 8 sec

Tuck Front Lever - 30 sec
Advanced Tuck Front Lever - 15 sec; 2n1, 2n1 reps
One Leg Front Lever - 0n3 reps
Advanced Tuck Back Lever - 20 sec
Half Lay Back Lever - 12 sec
Back Lever - 6, 6 reps

- Going to do set #6 of the tuck planche next week, near enough 60 sec that I think I can get it.

- Good day on the middle split hold. Was getting good push.

- Incorporating more rep based front lever stuff. With rep work I lower then pull back up (pulling back up with bent elbows doesn't count as a rep).

- So much better at getting into the front lever the "normal" way, rotating down. All along I've gotten into it by going into a german hang first. Definitely easier as I start to get the hang of doing it this way.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Hopefully the reefed triggers a whoosh and Sunday's pics are wowzers. Increased LBM is definitely noticeable, muscles feel notably fuller.

Weird that your refeeds trigger a whoosh.  My experience with them has been that carbs cause me to hold water for a few days, so I end up actually looking more bloated, rather than lean and awesome.

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

- So much better at getting into the front lever the "normal" way, rotating down. All along I've gotten into it by going into a german hang first. Definitely easier as I start to get the hang of doing it this way.

Wait, so by rotating down, do you mean starting from an inverted position on the bar (feet up), or a regular hang (feet down)? I'm about to start front lever holds next week and I just tested myself starting from an inversion...

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Wait, so by rotating down, do you mean starting from an inverted position on the bar (feet up), or a regular hang (feet down)? I'm about to start front lever holds next week and I just tested myself starting from an inversion...

That was a typo on my part.  Should read back lever not front lever.  I always start a front lever from an inversion unless just pulling into an easy tuck lever.

Usually the back lever starts inverted too, but I never trained it that way.  Always went all the way around in a skin the cat to a german hang, and then lift back up into a back lever.  It is harder supposedly, but I always found starting inverted behind the back awkward with a doorway pullup bar. 

currently cutting

don't panic!

That was a typo on my part. Should read back lever not front lever. I always start a front lever from an inversion unless just pulling into an easy tuck lever.

Usually the back lever starts inverted too, but I never trained it that way. Always went all the way around in a skin the cat to a german hang, and then lift back up into a back lever. It is harder supposedly, but I always found starting inverted behind the back awkward with a doorway pullup bar.

Hah -- tucks are what I'm about to do, as part of a progression to front lever pull-ups. We'll see how it goes. I definitely can't say they're easy yet. :)

I can see the German hang thing, a proper inversion is difficult when you have a doorway in the way.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Dang man. You're crazy awesome. I'm rooting for ya.

LEVEL 1 ELVEN ASSASSIN

STR: 3 - DEX: 3 - STA: 2 - CON: 2 - WIS: 2 - CHA: 3

"To become a vampire, you must be bitten by one. To become a ninja, you first have to allow yourself to be one."

"Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it."

Current Challenge

Weird that your refeeds trigger a whoosh.  My experience with them has been that carbs cause me to hold water for a few days, so I end up actually looking more bloated, rather than lean and awesome.

It is a delayed trigger.  I think the whoosh is triggered with the reefed, but the carbs suck up the water.  Once you dump the carb water weight, that's when you see it. 

currently cutting

don't panic!

Catching up from the weekend:

Saturday Workout

Run 5 miles in ~54 minutes

- Not a great time, not bad either.  Foot (eet) are definitely feeling better, and my Saturday run didn't seem to reaggravate anything.  Still going to be taking a break on sprinting for a while, bummer.

Sunday Workout

About 20-30 minutes handstand practice (8 sec best hold)

About 10 minutes tuck planche pushup practice

10 chest to bar false grip pullups

Rodney Yee Total Body Power Yoga (60 min)

- Really feel like I'm making good handstand progress.  Several long (for me) holds, 5+ sec.

- Noticeable improvement on the tuck planch pushup as well.  Still have to rotate into a dip about halfway up, but I can keep myself with a solid lean throughout the dip.

New blog post about the importance of experimenting:

http://strengthunbound.com/the-importance-of-experimenting/

Also spent about 20 minutes working on exercise lists earlier in the week.

Made it to bed on time all week.  It is really becoming necessary, holy smokes do I ever feel the reduction in calories.  I've been constantly tired and have a hard time getting out of bed since about Thur-Fri.  Read that this is pretty normal for cutting in the ab zone.

So this week I was perfect for my goals; handstands practiced 3x, 4x tuck planche practices, 1 blog post + work on lists, went to bed by 1am Sun-Thur.

currently cutting

don't panic!

No. I guess technically that is a false grip, but that is kinda overkill.

I'm doing this:

palm-grip.jpg

My fingers still wrap the bar.  Thumb is on top of the bar.  The bar rests in my palm, not my knuckes (bonus side effect, I really don't get much in the way of calluses anymore).

Al Kavadlo refers to the variation you posted as an exaggerated false grip.

The point of a false grip is so that you don't have to loosen your grip and rotate your hands on the bar as you get set up to transition from pulling to pushing.  With a standard pullup grip it is physically impossible to get on top of the bar wihout rotating your hands, that just adds unnecessary complexity to an already difficult move.

With the standard false grip I use it is possible for your weight to pull your wrist down a bit, but that isn't a big deal, the wrist will naturally rise as you transition.  The exaggerated false grip elimates that even, useful if you are doing slow muscle up where you don't have momentary weightlessness that makes it easy for the wrist to naturally rise.

I am way behind lately but I had a question about pullup grips.

This is exactly how I've always done pullups, not because I'm trying to progress to muscleups any time soon, but because it just seems more natural to me.  I didn't realize that this was the false grip that you guys have been talking about.  Is there an easier way to do pullups with a more standard grip and am I just making things harder on myself than I need to at this point?  I can do a few pullups but they are really ugly if I try to do them for reps without using an assist.  I plan on making pullups the main focus of my next challenge and I'd definitely start working on a different grip if it would help me progress more on regular pullups.

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Str: 18.75 | Dex: 12.25 | Sta: 16 | Con: 30.25 | Wis: 27 | Cha: 16.25

Great blog post, interesting how you talk about beginners and experimentation. 

Glad your foot is feeling a bit better, overall seems like you had a great week! Out of curiosity, how are you approaching your handstands?

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Great article to go with your great challenge so far.

Is your 20-30 minutes of handstand practice all at once or scattered throughout the day?  Either way, you're definitely working hard for the progress you've made, which is pretty inspiring.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

Well the whoosh continued on to day 2.  2.4 lbs down since Saturday, down to 194.2 lb.  When I breath out I can see all 6 abs now; lightly, but I can see them with no flex.  Still nowhere near the detail needed to be a 6 pack, but real visual progress is finally happening.

Made an executive decision that L-sits will count as a mini-workout to meet my challenge goal for this week, in order to participate in the weekly challenge.

Workout Log - 6/10

Floor L-Sit (palm up) - 42, 53, 54 sec

8 minutes handstand practice, 7 sec longest hold

Leg Day A

Run 1/4 mile @ 6.0 mph

Lunge Matrix x5

Kick Circuit x5

BW RDL - 10 reps

BW Squat - 10 reps

One Leg Standing L - 15/15 sec

Pistol (BW) - 5e++/5e++ reps

Pistol (+30) - 5y+/5e+, 5y+/5e+, 5y-/5e+ reps

Deep Step Up (+70) - 3x-/3x+ reps

Deep Step Up (+50) - 5x+/5e+ reps

Deep Step Up (+30) - 8y++/8x++ reps

Deep Step Up (BW) - 14x++/14e++ reps

Run 1/4 mile @ 6.0 mph

- New PR on the L-sits.  Never bother to hold them longer than 30 sec usually, and 30 sec is pretty easy for me.  Really had no idea of how long I could go.  Didn't use a flat palm grip, used a fingers down, palm up, thumb tripod grip, the same grip I use for middle split holds.  Gives a bit more clearance for when things get shaky.  New goal for the week, a 60 second hold.

- Not a great day of handstand practice.  Not nearly as good as yesterday.

- I'm going to slow play the pistols.  The step ups allow me a chance to work heavy.  With heavy work covered, I'll be able to spend a lot of time perfecting my pistol form at +30.  No need to hurry up to higher weights.

- I like this format, working heavy on the step ups first, dropping weight down each set, getting down to fringe endurance stuff.

- I'm going to keep this workout like this for the foreseeable future (might do 1 less pistol set and 1 more heavy step up set), I'm going to be overly cautious with my feet, especially the left, and avoid sprinting for a while.  A full blown bad stress fracture would really, really suck.  Plus as we get into the Georgia summer, sprinting outside in the heat and humidity isn't a terribly enjoyable experience.

- Works out good that as pistol form gets better, it becomes more quad dominant.  Step ups OTOH are a little more posterior chain dominant.  Kinda like a front squat/back squat pairing.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Well the whoosh continued on to day 2.  2.4 lbs down since Saturday, down to 194.2 lb.  When I breath out I can see all 6 abs now; lightly, but I can see them with no flex.  Still nowhere near the detail needed to be a 6 pack, but real visual progress is finally happening.

Made an executive decision that L-sits will count as a mini-workout to meet my challenge goal for this week, in order to participate in the weekly challenge.

SWEET.

LAME.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Workout Log - 6/11

Torture Dynamic Upper Body

Standard Warmup/Mobility

- No warmup/cooldown lap on the treadmill

Headstand Pushup - 10y+, 8x+, 8y+ reps

False Grip Chest to Bar Pullups - 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 reps (78 total, 27 minutes)

Ring L-Sit - 30x+ sec

L-Sit Ring Dips - 8x+, 7x+, 6x+ reps

- Hitting of the wall was achieved near the end of the workout.  Had to dig deep for the last 2 dip sets

- Woot, 10 reps on the HeSPU's.  Now just have to get all 3 sets to 10 reps

- That was a rough bunch of pullups.  Arms were done by the end.  Next time I'm going to try for 10 reps x 8 sets.

- One of these days I'm going to have to figure out just how many pullups I can do.  I really have no idea.  12 rep set was still at rpe e difficulty, so I at least had 2-3 more reps in me, could be quite a few more.

currently cutting

don't panic!

How much time are you taking between pull-up sets?

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

That's an awesome picture.

He's right. Waaaaay harder than a pistol. I can do them with my right leg, not with my left.

The deficit skater squats I was doing were very similar. Except you don't hold the back leg (toes shouldn't touch the floor for best form). Doing that makes them easier, but it allows you to hold weights.

You can see by his working leg why they are such a good calf exercise. You don't need to lift your heel up like that (shouldn't really, not a huge fan of his form), however it is not a position of balance like a pistol; if you don't fire your calves hard, you will fall over forward (kinda like leaning into a lunge or similar to the forearms in a hands forward planche).

currently cutting

don't panic!

I will be glad when I can do pull-ups again. Great session as usual!

I would go crazy if I couldn't do pullups.

Wow. Pullups. So hardcore.

Thanks!

This ! ^

Where are the muscle ups ? Awesome - so many pull ups and false grip and chest to bar ?

You must be so close.

I dunno. Been a while since I last attempted a muscle up. Might be able to do one. Really want to get out and do some clap pullups though.

Just peeking in. Awesome work as usual

Thanks!

How much time are you taking between pull-up sets?

Played it safe and took longer breaks between the first sets, 3-4 minutes (did the sets of HeSPU's in-between). As the sets got shorter I started speeding up. Averaged a little over 2 minutes between sets. Whenever I do high volume like this I always keep track of the total time, since it is an important factor.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines