Waldo 'n Teh Abz, Pt 2

Waldo

Workout Log - 6/12
10 minutes handstand practice
5 minutes tuck planche pushup + L-sit practice

Run 2.6 miles in 25:47.4

- Foot didn't love the running. Wanted to test it. Might have to switch to walking up mountains on the 'mill for the time being for cardio. Maybe I'll go buy a bike; might need one anyway in a few months.

- Have some DOMS in the abs. One 32 second hold on the floor and I called it good. Ab doms sucks, don't want to push it.

- Tuck planche pushups are slowly but surely progressing. Definitely leaning forward more each time near the top.

- Not a great night of handstand practice. 6 second best. Punch the timeclock workout.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

sammiejune29, on 12 Jun 2013 - 23:36, said:

I would totally recommend a bike!!

Leaning that way.

Need a way to do cardio with low impact on the feet. Pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to have to take at least 1-2 months off of running.

Tough decision though.

- Don't want to spend a lot of $$. $100-200 is about my limit.

- Space is a serious issue. I have no garage, no basement, and no space for additional exercise equipment (permanently set up). I do have an (easily accessed) attic and a shed.

- In the fall chances are good my situation is going to change work-wise, and I'll be able to ride (and be reimbursed for) the light rail system. I live about 1.5 miles away from a station. No more 30-60 minute each way commute (and $$ spent on gas). Just have to get to/from the station. Cheap bike seems like a reasonable option.

- Next year my sitution is going to change again with a new house, space will be less of a concern, might lose the need to go to/from light rail station though.

- Just joining a gym for a couple months isn't a great option either. My workout time is limited, commuting 10-20 minutes each way to a gym would really wipe out my time.

I think that I could either get a regular road bike or get an exercise spin bike. Pros and cons of each.

Road Bike:

- Will have to keep in the shed

- Could be used as transportation in the fall

- Most of my workout time it is dark outside, not necessarily ideal for biking in the city

- Enjoy my time doing cardio outside

- Will probably need a bike in a few years anyway as kiddo gets old enough to ride one

- Weather dependent

- More $$ (looking around, would probably need to spend about $200 to get what I need, possibly even a bit more, between bike/lights/helmet)

Spin Bike:

- Will have to keep it in the attic, bring it into the office as needed

- Could set up in front of the TV and watch TV while doing it

- Be a nice addition to the exercise equipment collection

- Cheaper (workable options in the $100-$150 area)

- Can do during inclement weather, and darkness isn't an issue

- Wife could use it

currently cutting

don't panic!

Still thinking about what to do about cardio.

Anyway...

Workout Log - 6/13

Floor L-Sit - 60 sec

Leg Day B

Lunge Matrix x5

Kick Circuit x5

BW RDL - 10 reps

BW Squat - 10 reps

One Leg Standing L - 15/15 sec

Pistol Squat (BW) - 5e++/5e++ reps

Pistol Squat (+30) - 5x+/5e+, 5y+/5e+, 5y+/5e+ reps

Assised Natural Hamstring Curl - 5e reps

Natural Hamstring Curl - 5x+, 5y+, 5y+ reps

Few shrimp squats on the left and loaded (+70) hamstring stretches between the NHC sets

- There it is, woot, 60 sec on the L-sit.  Dug deep, abs were burning.

- Pretty meh otherwise.  Feel like pistols are improving.  No rush.

- Might try to do a floor kiss rep on the NHC's, able to about get deep enough to do it.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Maybe kettlebells? Simple swings and maybe longcycle sets. It's nice cardio. Swings are also super easy to learn and if you do them right they won't interfere with any strength training.

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Sounds like you have a good long list of pros for both road bike and stationary. If it were me, i would go road bike, because having it for transportation purposes too makes it worth it. Plus, working out outside is always fun. On days that the weather is bad you can always hit the uphill walk on the treadmill. And nothing says your wife can't use.your road bike! Or get one of her own one day and ride along.

Lvl. 2 Ranger Assassin Shapeshifter

STR - 3 | DEX - 3 | STA - 7 | CON - 4 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Current Challenge: Breaking Chains

(Really) Old Challenges 1 | 2 | 3

Well attempt #2 on a reefed to maintenance, and I made almost exact.  Goal of 2800 net cals, hit 2797 cals.  With 1100 cals exercise, total intake today was 3897 cals; 57g fat, 221g protein, 643g carbs (28g fiber, 456g sugar).  Tell ya what, I feel frickin awesome right now.

Overall I'm really happy with how this cut is going, though I'm starting to get self conscious about being so skinny.  Really looking forward to bulking again.  Some areas, especially the area of the thighs just above the knee, just seem so skinny.  Losing fat that makes your muscles look bigger sucks.

Workout Log - 6/14

Static Upper Body

Standard warmup/mobility/cooldown

Handstand Wall Running - 54 reps

Planche Lean - 20 sec

Tuck Planche (ground, leg/arm contact) - 10, 10 sec

Tuck Planche (PB's, no contact) - 10, 10, 10, 10 sec (60 sec total)

Middle Split Hold - 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8 sec

Tuck Front Lever - 20 sec

Advanced Tuck Front Lever - 13 sec, 12 sec, 6 reps

One Leg Front Lever - 0n3 reps

Advanced Tuck Back Lever - 20 sec

Half Lay Back Lever - 12 sec

Back Lever - 6, 6, 6 sec

- 6x10 sec tuck planche achieved,  Next week I'm going to drop one of the floor sets, and add an additional PB set.  If I hit 10 sec in all sets again, time to bump the PB sets to 12 sec.

- Got some boxing wraps a few weeks ago for PB planche work.  Really helping with the wrists, splints are much less of a concern.

- Not a great day of front lever work.  Think I'm still sore/weak from all the pullups on Tue.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Refeeds are so crazy. I was freaked out all day because I still hadn't dropped any of the reefed weight, then late this afternoon...whoosh. New low weight today (on this cut, was lighter at the end of my initial cut). Progress photos today were ho hum. Under 13% body fat now.

Workout Log for the weekend

Saturday (6/15)
- Took kiddo to a pool and did some swimming. Not enough to really count as a workout, but it was still something.
- Also while there we hit up the park and I did 2 muscle ups, both one arm at a time, but also both will fully controlled negatives (also one arm negatives, opposite arm) on the way down. Also missed on 2 attempts later. Even though it was still one armed, these went notably better than any in the past. Going to start counting them as - form muscle ups.
- 20 minutes handstand practice. 9 seconds best time.
- Walked 2.75 miles up a mountain on the treadmill

Interesting experience when leaving the pool.  Kiddo and momma were already out the door, I was training a good bit behind, no shirt on yet.  One of the off duty female lifeguards, a pretty young lady (right around drinking age is my guess) that I passed on my way out was clearly and obviously checking me out.  I'm not sure I've ever had it happen so blatant (eyes scan from head down, come back up to chest, kinda give a rawr look with a smile).  Then again, I've never looked even close to as good as I do nowadays shirtless; there wasn't much reason before.  I took it as a compliment really.  I suppose that sort of thing is more apt to happen in a gym setting, but that's not an environment I'm ever in.  Those are always the best sort of compliments; sure its nice when wife/family say something, but from a self image POV, those have little value.  Coworkers and other people you regularly see are a little more valuable, but nothing compares to people you rarely see or complete strangers.  Go along a major weight loss/body recomp journey and you'll collect a ton of compliments/comments, it goes with the territory.  Only a few of them though really leave an impression, those rare and valuable ones really help to realign your self image (which is an issue for many/most, usually self image trails behind body comp, sometimes quite significantly).

Sunday (6/16)
- 60 minutes of Yoga (the usual Rodney Yee video I do)

currently cutting

don't panic!

Interesting experience when leaving the pool.  Kiddo and momma were already out the door, I was training a good bit behind, no shirt on yet.  One of the off duty female lifeguards, a pretty young lady (right around drinking age is my guess) that I passed on my way out was clearly and obviously checking me out.  I'm not sure I've ever had it happen so blatant (eyes scan from head down, come back up to chest, kinda give a rawr look with a smile).  Then again, I've never looked even close to as good as I do nowadays shirtless; there wasn't much reason before.  I took it as a compliment really.  I suppose that sort of thing is more apt to happen in a gym setting, but that's not an environment I'm ever in.  Those are always the best sort of compliments; sure its nice when wife/family say something, but from a self image POV, those have little value.  Coworkers and other people you regularly see are a little more valuable, but nothing compares to people you rarely see or complete strangers.  Go along a major weight loss/body recomp journey and you'll collect a ton of compliments/comments, it goes with the territory.  Only a few of them though really leave an impression, those rare and valuable ones really help to realign your self image (which is an issue for many/most, usually self image trails behind body comp, sometimes quite significantly).

Nice.  I still vividly remember having a guy buy me a drink and hit on me in a bar about a year ago.  You know you've made it when you're in shape enough for the gay boys... ;)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

That's an awesome story :-) Validation from strangers is always awesome!

How's the bike search going? Another option to consider is getting a road bike for now and then when the weather starts getting bad invest in an indoor bike stand (converts a road bike into a stationary bike) They seem to be in the $50 range.

Level 7 Half-Elf Assassin
STR: 22.5 | DEX: 13.75 | STA: 15.75 | CON: 18.5 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 12

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Unchallenge, Seventh

That's an awesome story :-) Validation from strangers is always awesome!

How's the bike search going? Another option to consider is getting a road bike for now and then when the weather starts getting bad invest in an indoor bike stand (converts a road bike into a stationary bike) They seem to be in the $50 range.

Still torn.  Might just save the money and walk on the treadmill for a few weeks.  My foot already feels so much better.

Workout Log - 6/17

20 minutes handstand practice, 10 seconds best

Some muscle up practice.  1 good attempt, swung by the park on my way home from work, still one side first, but not nearly as extreme.  On the way down I did a full both arms at the same time negative controlled the whole way!!!  Also did a few muscle up practice pulls using tree branches on my lunch walk, practicing muscle activation (didn't actually try to fully get over the branches though, just into the transition).  I've completely ditched the kips, I just suck at kipping too much for it to be useful.  I'm close enough that I'm really just some practice away from good muscle ups.

Leg Day A

Lunge Matrix x5

Kick Circuit x5

BW RDL - 10 reps

BW Squat - 10 reps

On Leg Standing L - 15/15 sec

Pistol Squat (BW) - 5e++/5e++ reps

Pistol Squat (+30) - 5x+/5e+, 5x+/5e+ reps

Dorsiflexed Deep Step Up (+70) - 3x++/3x++, 3x++/3x++ reps

Dorsiflexed Deep Step Up (+50) - 6x++/6e++ reps

Dorsiflexed Deep Step Up (+30) - 10y++/10x++ reps

- I really like this workout.  Good mix of form, intensity, and strength endurance work.  Going to stick with this a while, feel that it is going to be very productive once bulking.

- Real good progress across the board.  Pistols were much smoother.  Added reps to the step ups.

currently cutting

don't panic!

I forgot about the D. Step-up.  I think I'll add that in as my quad exercise of the day for the mini-challenge.

Awesome exercise. I highly suggest it. Nice thing about it is how easy it is to do with good form.

Don't forget about Step-up 2: The Streets, or Step-Up 3D.

LOL

currently cutting

don't panic!

So check it out.  Figured out how to animate progress photos:

Front-Relax-Animation-2sm_zps3abec39e.gi

9 weeks total, 8 of it while cutting.  About 10 lbs lost, 4% body fat lost.  Kinda crazy to watch my hair grow.

Workout Log - 6/19

10 minutes tuck planche pushup practice

Dynamic Upper Body

Standard warmup/mobility (w/ no treadmill running)

Headstand Pushup - 8y+, 7x+, 6y+ reps

C2B False Grip Pullups - 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 7c3, 7c3 reps (80 total, 31 minutes to complete) 

RTO Ring L-Sit - 15e++ sec

L-Sit Ring Dips - 7x+, 6x+, 5x+ reps

- Was weak today.  Cutting is taking its toll.  Could just be a side effect of the muscle up, tuck planche pushup, and freestanding handstand work the last couple days though.

- Next week I'm going to do the same pullup workout, trying to do it faster and without the rest-pauses toward the end.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Nice animation!  I wonder if my photos are close enough to do the same... I'll have to try it out.

I used the animation feature of photoshop. The pictures weren't perfect, I had to scale them a bit to get everything to line up nice. That's about as perfect as I could get them.

Workout Log - 6/19

20 minutes handstand practice (6 sec best)

Walk 1.75 miles up a mountain on the treadmill

currently cutting

don't panic!

Given the fair amount of diet chatter, I figured I'd write a bit about my nutritional + related routine, how I do things.

- First off, I'm a very structured routine oriented person, variation is very low. This isn't to say I do the exact same thing over and over day after day, but week to week things are fairly constant.

- We almost never eat out. 1x a week usually, that's it.

1) Every AM I get up, weigh myself, and add a new row to my spreadsheet with todays first weight, and yesterday's calorie in/out and protein. And I drag the formulas another row to do all the calcs.

2) I eat a protein bar for breakfast most days (not always sat/sun)

3) Every AM I make my lunch for work. Usually a sandwich, gr yogurt, some fruit, and a pudding cup.

Weekends we go out Sat for lunch, and I cook brunch Sun.

4) Late afternoon, right when I get home from work, or right after our little one's nap time on the weekends, I go through and log the day as completely as I can in MFP. Everything to that point, and estimates for dinner/workouts. Doing so I usually have a pretty good idea of how much more protein I need and how much snack space I have.

5) Once I know my snack space, I almost always eat a fairly substantial snack in the late afternoons.

6) After kiddo goes to bed, workout and cook dinner, and eat dinner. We eat something different every night, but most dishes are the same week to week (a couple nights we do dishes we eat less frequently). I check my weight before and after working out. The lowest # of the day is the one kept.

7) Right after dinner I take a moment to update all MFP #'s with actual values and figure out how I'm going to finish off the night protein and calorie-wise.

8) Finish all cals/protein, go to bed, and do it again tomorrow.

For how much stuff I track and how precisely I hit things, I really don't spend much time working on it or thinking about it. In general I keep that to little 2-3 minute blocks, at that time I come up with a plan, and pretty much stick to it (keep in mind my plan usually is something like whole pint or half a pint of ice cream, 1-2-3 handfulls of M&M's, 1 or 2 glasses of chocolate milk, whole or half container of cottage cheese; sticking to it isn't exactly hard).

Workout Log - 6/20

Jump Muscle-Up - 1x- reps

Muscle-Up - 1y- reps

Tuck Planche Pushup Practice - 5 min

Leg Day B

Lunge Matrix x5

Kick Circuit x3

BW RDL - 10 reps

BW Squat - 10 reps

One Leg Standing L - 15/15 sec

Single Leg Squat Flow - 1/1, 1/1, 1/1 circuits

Pistol (BW) - 5e++/5e++ reps

Pistol (+30) - 5y+/5e+, 5y+/5x+, 5y-/5x+ reps

Assisted Natural Hamstring Curl - 5e reps

Natural Hamstring Curl - 5y-, 5x+ reps

- Did a few circuits of the front pistol, side pistol, warrior squat flow circuit I came up with.  Much improved.  Practicing for my video.  Might start doing it in warmups too from now on.

- BW pistols have big time gotten easier as of late.

- Kissed the floor (a form goal) for the first NHC rep, burned me out though and I struggled at the end of the set.

- Ham tendons were unusually sore.  Eliminated the final set of NHC's, didn't want to hurt myself.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Few curveballs have been thrown my way.

Going shopping tomorrow at the outlet.  Not really a curveball, but always something to be looked forward to. Need to hit up Bananna Republic big time, their clothes are cut for a v torso, unlike most others.

Going to be traveling at the end of the challenge, visiting the homeland (sconny).  Still thinking about how to deal.  Not sure I want to travel in the midst of a hard cut, definitely won't be doing a refeed.  Might bring up the cals and maintain that week, a week early.  No tracking while traveling rules will be in effect.

After returning, instead of transitioning to bulking, I might keep cutting.  Instead of a fixed time though, do it week to week, making my decision the weekend after refeeding (when the head is right).  I really want to get back to bulking and exercise progress, but at the same time I still want to get a little bit leaner.  Not happy with where I am yet.  I think I can evaluate the situation weekly and make a determination.  One potential option is to do exactly what I'm doing, but start raising the cals weekly, which should have a recomp effect.  My average right now is -700 cal/day, 100 cal/week will take 7 weeks to get to true maintenance, but will have an increasingly stronger recomp effect.  Will need to evaluate the #'s, but a taper up through late july/august seems doable, especailly if I start getting a real recomp effect.  Just not sure what to do yet.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines