Waldo 'n Teh Abz, Pt 2

Waldo

For how much stuff I track and how precisely I hit things, I really don't spend much time working on it or thinking about it. In general I keep that to little 2-3 minute blocks, at that time I come up with a plan, and pretty much stick to it (keep in mind my plan usually is something like whole pint or half a pint of ice cream, 1-2-3 handfulls of M&M's, 1 or 2 glasses of chocolate milk, whole or half container of cottage cheese; sticking to it isn't exactly hard).

This is what I need to master.  The doing it but keeping it quick and not obsessing part.

Thanks for sharing.  Very helpful!

No tracking while traveling rules will be in effect.

After returning, instead of transitioning to bulking, I might keep cutting.  Instead of a fixed time though, do it week to week, making my decision the weekend after refeeding (when the head is right).  I really want to get back to bulking and exercise progress, but at the same time I still want to get a little bit leaner.  Not happy with where I am yet.  I think I can evaluate the situation weekly and make a determination.  One potential option is to do exactly what I'm doing, but start raising the cals weekly, which should have a recomp effect.  My average right now is -700 cal/day, 100 cal/week will take 7 weeks to get to true maintenance, but will have an increasingly stronger recomp effect.  Will need to evaluate the #'s, but a taper up through late july/august seems doable, especailly if I start getting a real recomp effect.

How do you eat when you don't track?  Just rely on your knowledge of portions and hunger/full cues to keep you on the straight and narrow?

I like the add calories weekly idea... for purely selfish reasons, I vote for that one.  I'd like to see how you do with it... as that means more data for my own progression up to maintenance. :)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I'm very good about not snacking, especially when traveling.

I focus on eating as much protein as I can, and not drinking calories (execept maybe some beer, I try to limit that).  Everything else will take care of itself with those general conditions.

Unless I'm at my mom's place.  She makes the best treats, I eat the crap out of them.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Had another idea for transitioning from cutting to bulking.  Start where I am, -800, every day of the week except reefed day (works out to be 2000 net cals).  Instead of a normal refeed though, I'll eat my just under my planned bulking rate (+200, 3000 net cals, nice and round).  Each week add another day at the bulking rate.  Once all days are at bulking intake, the next week I'll bump cals +100 every day and get to the +300 cal surplus I plan to use for a while.  Should have the recomp effect throughout the raise.

Workout Log - 6/21

Static Upper Body

Standard warmup/mobility

- No treadmill run warmup/cooldown

Handstand Wall Run - 56 reps

Planche Lean - 20 sec

Tuck Planche (Floor + Contact) - 10 sec

Tuck Planche (PB's + No Contact) - 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 sec

Middle Split Hold - 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 10 sec

Tuck Front Lever - 20 sec

Advanced Tuck Front Lever - 15 sec, 5n1 reps, 6 sec, 5 sec

One Leg Front Lever - 0n3 reps

Advanced Tuck Back Lever - 20 sec

Half Lay Back Lever - 12 sec

Back Lever - 6, 6, F (10 sec advanced tuck)

- Hit zee wall, was not expecting to, but did.  Nothing left for the last back lever set.

- Next week I'm going to start trying to hold the PB tuck planches 12 sec

- Last 2 advanced tuck front levers I pulled straight into it, not lowering into it.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Weekend recap:

Sat:

Practiced a few muscle ups

Shopped all day (wife's fitbit had us at 4 miles of walking)

Walked up a mountain on the treadmill (4.66 mi @ 7% avg incline, 1000 cals)

Sun:

Some handstand practice.  10 sec best.

60 minutes yoga (Rodney Yee video)

- Strong tendonitis after the muscle ups.  Going to cool it on them for a bit.  Probably also going to reduce my total pullup reps by adding in weight again.

- Slept quite a bit this weekend, naps both days in addition to good long nights.

- Handstand practice went great.  Didn't set a new PR, but had several holds in the 8+ sec area. 

currently cutting

don't panic!

Took some photos during Friday's workout to check out my back lever form:

c9ec754d-45f1-4111-be12-53048e447245_zps

Still needs work.  Could get a hair more horizontal, not bad though.  Need work straightening the legs.  Been working on it several weeks, still an issue.  I honestly can barely tell that they are bent when holding it.  Practice, practice, practice.

So the scale is being annoying this week. Tape moved good, I'm not that concerned, but the scales seems to have hit a sticking point. Overall this cut has not been as quick as I hope, it seems my metabolism has dropped a bit.

Abs are still being a PITA, though all of a sudden I have way more detain in my legs. I can actually make out the middle head of the quad now (isn't actually a head, there are 3 different muscles, the middle one). At least something has gotten notably leaner.

Workout Log - 6/24
Handstand Practice - 15 minutes

Leg Day A

Lunge Matrix x5
Kick Circuit x5
BW RDL - 10 reps
BW Squat - 10 reps
One Leg Standing L - 15/15 sec

Single Leg Squat Flow - 1x+/1x+, 1x+/1x+ circuits

Pistol (BW) - 5e++/5e++ reps
Pistol (+30) - 5x+/5e+, 5x-/5e+ reps

Deep Step Up (+70) - 4y+/4x+, 4y+/4x+ reps
Deep Step Up (+50) - 7y+/7x+ reps
Deep Step Up (+30) - 11y++/11x++ reps
Deep Step Up (BW) - 16x++/16x++ reps

Reverse Hyper Hold - 10 sec

- Balance is still a bit shaky on the squat flow, but the strength is there for it.  Real big improvement in the last couple months.

- BW pistols were at a high "bar speed".  Usually I go real slow on those, but today I instead went for quick reps.  Pistols have shown notable improvement in the last couple weeks.  Spending time to work other related stuff has really improved my basic pistol.

- Added a reps across the board on the step ups.

- With the bench out I can do reverse hyper holds.  Going to start doing them in order to improve my back lever, to straighten out better.  Get a little crampy during the hold right now.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Getting a little frustrated with the scale.  Not my week this week.  Have nailed the diet thus far pretty much perfect, weight isn't dropping as I hoped.  We'll see where I am tomorrow on the tape measure.

Need to double down on my sleep goal.  I can really see how that affects me.  I need to move up my mental point of no return from 5 hours to 6 hours.  5 hours has been that point in my mind for most of my adult life (if I get less than 5 hours sleep, I am frickin miserable), and I'm good about never pushing those boundaries because of how much it sucks.  Really should be 6 hours though, combo of getting older and more exercise.  Plus I can't catch up on the weekends like I used to be able to pre-kid.   9-10 straight hours is a luxury nowadays, not an every Sat/Sun thing.

Workout Log - 6/25

Tuck Planche Pushup Practice - 5 minutes

Dynamic Upper Body

Standard Warmup/Mobility (minus warmup/cooldown lap on treadmill)

Headstand Pushup - 8x+, 8y+, 8z+ reps

Chest to Bar Pullup (+20 lb) - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6c2 reps (50 reps total, 36 minutes)

RTO Ring L-Sit - 15e+ sec

L-Sit Ring Dip - 7x++, 7x+, 7x+ reps

- Really wanted 8 across on the headstand pushups.  Bam.

- Using weight reduced the total reps on the pulls, didn't aggravate the tendonitis flare up.  Forces pulling more explosively.  I was starting to get concerned that my pulling explosion was declining with the high rep BW work.  Also like that using ankle weights virtually eliminates any kipping.  Was pulling surprisingly high, at least the first few sets.

- Focused on really going super deep on the ring dips, also starting to turn the rings out a little.

currently cutting

don't panic!

New low on the scale today, 192.4, woo hoo. Wanted to hit the 191's this week, but beggars can't be choosers. Maybe tomorrow. Thursdays haven't been a light day for me, but I've been getting much more sleep this week, the effects (lack of cortisol) is very noticeable mentally, and I think that is showing up in the scale too. Tape measure still moving good though, clocking in at 11.8% BF now.  The definition coming in in my legs has definitely lifted my spirits progress wise.

Workout Log - 6/26
10 minutes handstand practice, 11 sec best (new PR)

Run 2.6 miles in 27:44.78

- Decided to give it a go running.  Been a while now since my foot hurt.  So far so good, doesn't appear to have reaggravated anything.  Still going to be cautious, but I think I can start jogging again, at least with shoes.  Barefoot warmup/cooldowns and sprinting are probably a ways off.  Will see how things go the next few days.

- So-so handstand work, a lot of bad holds, but a few good ones in the 10 sec area, including an 11 sec hold.  Sore from yesterday, including ab doms.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Nice job! You are such an inspiration...

Thanks!

Well I wanted the 191's on the scale this week, got 192.0.  Dammit.  So close.  Kind of like 193.0 taunting me the last couple weeks.  With a reefed tomorrow, I probably won't be light again until Sunday night at the earliest.  Felt upper ab squishy fat today, a first for this cut.  Ab/lower back fat really is the last to go on me.

Workout Log - 6/27

Leg Day B

Lunge Matrix x5

Kick Circuit x5

BW RDL - 10 reps

BW Squat - 10 reps

Single Leg Squat Circuit - 2x+/2x+ circuits

Pistol Squat (BW) - 5e++/5e++ reps (high bar speed)

Pistol Squat (+30) - 5x+/5e+, 5x+/5e+, 5y+/5x+ reps

Assisted Natural Ham Curl - 5e reps

Natural Ham Curl - 5x+, 5y+, 5y+ reps

- Much smoother on the circuits today.  Still going very slow and controlled.  Over time I want to speed up.

- A few ++ reps in the ham curls, where I really layed out and went deep.  Those reps really wipe me out, still not ready for full sets of em.  Depth has been real good though as of late.

currently cutting

don't panic!

The ab doms I got from Tuesday's workout, the hollow pullups with ankle weights, is brutally powerful today.

Workout Log - 6/28

Static Upper Body

Standard Warmup/Mobility

- No treadmill lap before/after

- No hollow hold or L-sit

Handstand Wall Running - 58 reps

Planche Lean - 20 sec

Tuck Planche (floor+contact) - 4c4 sec

Tuck Plance (PB-No Contact) - 12, 12, 12, 12, 12 sec

Middle Split Hold - 5, 5, 2 sec

Tuck Front Lever - 30, 30 sec

Advanced Tuck Front Lever - 10 sec

Advanced Tuck Back Lever - 20 sec

Half Lay Back Lever - 12, 12 sec

- Was not planning to take an easy day, the powerful ab DOMS forced it. Its almost like a cramp, they feel extremely weak. Wasn't just the pain, I physically could not lift into an L-sit and hold it.

- Middle split hold was near impossible to do. Pretty much gave up trying.

- Tuck Planche didn't feel strong despite the times. Not going to advance next week, going to do another week with these times.

- Tuck front levers were ok, not so much with the advanced tuck, abs limited me.

- Easy workout is needed every now and then, so it isn't a biggie.

- Was going to do some tuck planche pushup practice. DOMS made that a nada.

currently cutting

don't panic!

My goodness, what happened to the forum.  This is darn near unbearable.  Its like writing in caps, blasting with a bullhorn.

Agreed. I need sunglasses just to look at it.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Anway catching up from the weekend:

Saturday - Ran 5 miles in ~53 min. Surprised at how fast I ran. Foot feels good.

Sunday - 30 min park workout/muscle up practice, 60 minutes yoga

Ab doms are still a factor. Even this AM I can feel it, 6 days later. I really like doing pullups that way, hopefully the ab doms isn't near as debilitating in the future.

The website goal has not gone good. I just can't find the time to work on it, and I'm not feeling very inspired at the moment. Next challenge I'm going to go back to a minute a day.

Sleep goal went great last week, not a great start this week though. But I have thur-friday off of work for the next 2 weeks.

Posted in 'em the photo contest thread, but here's some photos I took during my workout on Sun:

L-sit on the playground equipment:

timelapse21-0018a_zps79a20232.jpg

Elbow lever on a handrail:

timelapse13-0021a_zps4fbc4605.jpg

currently cutting

don't panic!

Wow that L-Sit picture is pure motivational material

Level 3 Tyrannosaurus Rex Ranger

*Current Stats*
STR: 9.85 DEX: 4.85 STA: 5.75 CON: 4.75 WIS: 7.1 CHA: 4

Current Challenge

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Playing around with some effects and this weeks progress pics:

af04b7db-6d75-49bd-9005-7b9c597ebd88_zps

Eventually I'm going to make a new avi.  Though not this shot.  Need to lose more of the gut.

Workout Log - 7/1

15 minutes handstand practice, 11 sec best

Leg Day A

Lunge Matrix x5

Kick Circuit x5

BW RDL - 10 reps

BW Squat - 10 reps

Single Leg Squat Flow - 2x-/2x- circuits

Pistol Squat (BW) - 5e++/5e++ reps

Pistol Squat (+30) - 5x+/5e+, 5x+/5e+ reps

Deep Step Up (+70) - 4y-/4x+, 4y+/4x+ reps

Deep Step Up (+50) - 7x+/7x+ reps

Deep Step Up (+30) - 9x++/9x++ reps

- Handstand practice took a long time to get going and find the groove with longer holds.  None better than 5 sec for the first 10 min.

- Balance was absolutely horrendous on the SLS flow circuit.  Did them round the world style (Front L, Side L, Back L, Back R, Side R, Front R, repeat).  Spent more time balancing myself than squatting.  Odd, usually my single leg balance is really good.

- No real progress on the weighted work.  Bulking how I miss thee.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Monthly progress pic day.

FullSizeSelf713_zps39ad94ae.jpg

I'm still updating the old collage that I used to do, however with bigger mirrors, I might as well take advantage of the capacity.  Had some fun with photoshop as well.  Incidentally the mirror on the left broke, so we got a new one.  More progress than I expected to see.

Workout Log - 7/2

Tuck Planche Pushup Practice - 5 min

Dynamic Upper Body

Standard Warmup/Mobility

- No running

Headstand Pushups - 7x+, 5x+, 5y+, 4y+, 4z+ reps

Rest-Pause Chest To Bar False Grip Pullup Pyramid - 1-2-3-4-5-6^6-5-4*3*2-1  reps

Rest-Pause Neutral Grip Pullup Pyramid - 1-2-3-4-5-6^6-5*4*3-2-1 reps

( - = 5 breath pause, ^ = 30 sec break, * = 10 breath pause)

RTO (45 deg) Ring L-Sit - 15e++ sec

RTO (15 deg) L-Sit Ring Dip - 8x++, 7x+, 7y+ reps 

L-Sit Ring Muscle Up - 0n2x- reps

- Very close on the tuck planche pushups.  Figured out how to use my shoulders a bit more.  I can get to about 60 degrees at the top.

- Headstand pushup sets had 120 sec breaks between sets.  Sped things up a bit.  First set sucked though.

- Abs are still a bit sore from the weighted hollow pullups last week, so I decided to give a rest-pause pyramid a try.  When I start bulking again, I will be heavily using rest-pause work.  That REALLY fried the arms/back.  42 pullups in like 5 minutes is no joke.  The way back down was a pitiful struggle on both pyramids.  Doms will be strong.

- Fell through the transition a bit on both muscle up negatives; tried to go as slow as could for each rep.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Rest-Pause Chest To Bar False Grip Pullup Pyramid - 1-2-3-4-5-6^6-5-4*3*2-1  reps

Rest-Pause Neutral Grip Pullup Pyramid - 1-2-3-4-5-6^6-5*4*3-2-1 reps

( - = 5 breath pause, ^ = 30 sec break, * = 10 breath pause)

- Abs are still a bit sore from the weighted hollow pullups last week, so I decided to give a rest-pause pyramid a try.  When I start bulking again, I will be heavily using rest-pause work.  That REALLY fried the arms/back.  42 pullups in like 5 minutes is no joke.  The way back down was a pitiful struggle on both pyramids.  Doms will be strong.

That's a very nice pull up pyramid... with very minimal breaks! I'm just reading about it, but my brain can feel the burn just from the description.

Have you tried doing push ups during the breaks in-between pull ups? So that you are never resting at all? Or looking at it another way, push ups allow you to rest (relatively) your biceps/lats, while pull ups allow you to rest (relatively) your triceps/pecs. I find it a fun set to complete - if you feel like you want some variation.  Having said that - you seem like you have an extremely well thought out routine.

Love the progress pics (especially the ones on your website).

Good luck with the muscle ups - are you going for a slow controlled L sit false grip muscle up? (dropping the L sit at the transition phase to help with transition)

That's a very nice pull up pyramid... with very minimal breaks! I'm just reading about it, but my brain can feel the burn just from the description.

Have you tried doing push ups during the breaks in-between pull ups? So that you are never resting at all? Or looking at it another way, push ups allow you to rest (relatively) your biceps/lats, while pull ups allow you to rest (relatively) your triceps/pecs. I find it a fun set to complete - if you feel like you want some variation.  Having said that - you seem like you have an extremely well thought out routine.

Love the progress pics (especially the ones on your website).

Good luck with the muscle ups - are you going for a slow controlled L sit false grip muscle up? (dropping the L sit at the transition phase to help with transition)

I have done push/pull and push/pull/leg circuits like that. The breaks when doing rest pause work are so short though that its hard to really do anything else, cardio fitness becomes a factor even without added stuff. A 5 breath break is only about 10-15 seconds. This sort of pyramid and rest-pause work in general is really pushing beyond failure.

I'm just working on muscle-ups in general. Something about them I just flat out cannot do. I can do them 1 arm at a time on a bar, but that's it at the moment. Been working on them forever, progress has simply been terrible. I'm pulling higher and dipping deeper slowly but surely. At this point I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that when I finally can do a good muscle up, it will be slow right through the whole motion. Most people that can do pullups/dips like I can can bang out muscle ups no problem.

Part of my issue is a total lack of any place decent to work on them, at all the parks around me, all the useable bars are 2"-3" dia at least, and most are too low for me to go to full extension. Only swingsets are high enough for full extension, and they have 3" bars, which makes the movement a good bit more difficult.

My rings are on a doorway pullup bar, doing muscle up work in an L-sit is about my only option. Allows me to stay more vertical in the upper body, which is fine.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines