[June 3 - July 14] Meditation for Life

Can you spare 25 breaths or 5 minutes of your day to feel healthier, happier, more calm, and more relaxed? Are you willing to prove it?

Test your metal against the meditation masters. The challenge is simple. Meditate every day. Let us know how you are doing, and how many days you've done it, or how many days you've missed. The winner will be the first one to enlightenment, err, I mean the one who meditates the most days. The prize is satisfaction, bragging rights, and that pleasant centered feeling, or enlightenment. I'm not sure.

How, you ask, do you meditate? Well, I intend to sit quietly with my eyes closed and count 25 breaths. Recent experimentation suggests this is about 4 minutes of meditation. Others are planning to time themselves for 5 minutes. There are all kinds of meditations. You can focus on your breathing, focus on letting your thoughts pass freely through your mind, focus on absorbing the energy of the sun, inhaling precious oxygen, and exhaling waste and tension. Whatever you do, for however long, just do it at least once a day. Let us know your preferred meditation technique, and how it makes you feel.

Peace and frogs, and I hope to see you around.

Edit --
Tracking Spreadsheet

Milythael Assassin

Current Activity: Milythael Acts Like an Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

Challenges: Intro, 123, 4567, 891011 12
PVPs: Demon Slaying, HOoRAY, Meditation,
 Poses, Juggling 30/30 Squat

I'm planning to get an early start on this, because I need the peace.  The challenge hasn't started yet, but you guys can see some of the unusual things I do for meditation.

Today, I did a survival float in the pool for 25 breaths.  Actually, it was probably 30-35 breaths, as I lost track a lot, and know that at least sometimes I counted more than one breath as the same number. What I did was float in the pool face down, and slowly exhale, feeling the bubbles from my breathing washing over my face.  I allowed my arms to fall forward and cross, then pushed up gently with them to raise my head and take a breath, then allowing my face to fall back down into the water.  I find that this really focuses the mind on your breathing, and makes all the distractions in the world wash away.  In the 97 F heat, after 4 miles of walking, this was a wonderfully welcome break for both my body and mind.

Milythael Assassin

Current Activity: Milythael Acts Like an Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

Challenges: Intro, 123, 4567, 891011 12
PVPs: Demon Slaying, HOoRAY, Meditation,
 Poses, Juggling 30/30 Squat

I'm in!

I'm trying to do at least 15' of meditation, but I'm having loads of problems tracking the time (I'm looking the watch every 3 minutes or so). The 25 breaths technique sounds good, so I'll try it tomorrow (today I've already done my daily 10').

Human: Ranger

5 STR | 3 DEX | 5 STA | 4 CON | 2 WIS | 3 CHA

Current challenge: keep it simple

battle log | epic quest

Last challenges: ΜΟΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ | prepare to a half-marathon

MEMENTO MORI

I still need to find a way to fit this into my schedule! (read: sit down and do it, REMEMBER to sit down and do it.)

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

I'm in on this. One of my goals is to meditate more and as a Buddhist I really should train more on doing it more :)

As an Assassin I must calm my mind and listen to my body. I'm starting with doing it every day I rest and then i'll do it every day ^^

Level 10 Bleu Gardien Assassin of the Lanomia Clan

Buddhist, Traceur, Martial Artist, Assassin, Templar

Strenght: 22 Constitution: 9 Dexterity: 4 Wisdom: 12 Stamina: 11 Charisma: 5
- My Epic Quest: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/28629-an-assassins-epic-quest/
- My Tenth-th Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56054-cobaltswords-journey-chapter-10/

- Daily Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51677-cobaltswords-journey/

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle" - "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

I'm in!

I'm trying to do at least 15' of meditation, but I'm having loads of problems tracking the time (I'm looking the watch every 3 minutes or so). The 25 breaths technique sounds good, so I'll try it tomorrow (today I've already done my daily 10').

set a timer on your phone. then you know when it goes off, you're done.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

I'll join in on this! I've always wanted to try meditating, but never had a chance to try and do it :(

I need to relax, especially with all of the out-of-neighborhood idiots that use a side street as their own race track. There's a limit to how many times I can stand hearing tires screech on the street almost all day ever day <.<

Level 1
STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0
Challenges

(Restarting, so I deleted the links to my past challenges. A new beginning!)
MyFitnessPal|deviantArt

Highest Weight: 371lbs (9/2009)|Restarting Weight: 373.6 (3/17/14)|Current Weight: ??? (Weigh-in on: 4/14)

I'm in! I will try to do a 5 minute breathing exercise everday, but my real goal is to do loving-kindness mediation or progressive muscle relaxation maybe 3-4 times a week (since they would take a lot longer). Will that still count?

*Posy*

Current Challenge

Consulting Knights in the TARDIS

Previous Challenges: One

True Neutral Human Adventurer with Ranger-Druid aspirationsCurrent Stats: LVL 2 || (STR) 6 || (DEX) 4 || (STA) 5 || (CON) 3.5 || (WIS) 9.5 || (CHA) 4.5

I'm kinda intimidated by the idea of doing it as a challenge, but I'll follow along hoping for some tips or tricks! Part of my June challenge was to do mindful meditation possibly by walking or yoga. I was shooting for half an hour - looking at this thread I'm worrying if that was maybe too much! We shall see...

Vixen

Assassin Level 2

Challenge #1, #1.5, #2 , #3 , #4, #5 (current)

I'm keen to be in on this. A few years ago I did a 10 day Vipassana meditation course. Basically for 10 days you get up at 4am, meditate, go have something to drink (in silence - there's no talking) and then go meditate some more till you go to bed at 9:30. It was one of the best experiences of my life, and I always said that when I got back home I would continue to meditate every day but I didn't keep it up. 

(If you wanted to know more about what kind of meditation it is - here is the Course Introduction

I'm kinda intimidated by the idea of doing it as a challenge, but I'll follow along hoping for some tips or tricks! Part of my June challenge was to do mindful meditation possibly by walking or yoga. I was shooting for half an hour - looking at this thread I'm worrying if that was maybe too much! We shall see...

i would say that if you're not used to meditating, going for half an hour is hard :o better start with 5min, then move up by 5min everytime ^^ rest a few times between, it can be tiresome :)

Level 10 Bleu Gardien Assassin of the Lanomia Clan

Buddhist, Traceur, Martial Artist, Assassin, Templar

Strenght: 22 Constitution: 9 Dexterity: 4 Wisdom: 12 Stamina: 11 Charisma: 5
- My Epic Quest: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/28629-an-assassins-epic-quest/
- My Tenth-th Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56054-cobaltswords-journey-chapter-10/

- Daily Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51677-cobaltswords-journey/

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle" - "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

set a timer on your phone. then you know when it goes off, you're done.

Good idea. I seldom use my mobile phone  (it's off most of the time) and I didn't think on it, but it's really a good idea. Thanks!

I'll join in on this! I've always wanted to try meditating, but never had a chance to try and do it :(

I need to relax, especially with all of the out-of-neighborhood idiots that use a side street as their own race track. There's a limit to how many times I can stand hearing tires screech on the street almost all day ever day <.<

I think that if you meditate with a purpose, the effects of meditation could be diminished. Luckily, when you accept the reality as it comes, you develop a more relaxed mind. Of course, I'm still working on it, but the few times I were mindfulness and without any expectations, when I had meditated, I could feel peace, and it's a very pleasant feeling.

Human: Ranger

5 STR | 3 DEX | 5 STA | 4 CON | 2 WIS | 3 CHA

Current challenge: keep it simple

battle log | epic quest

Last challenges: ΜΟΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ | prepare to a half-marathon

MEMENTO MORI