[June 3 - July 14] Meditation for Life

Thank goodness for this PvP challenge. I had a bit of a tragedy today. After 5 wonderful years of companionship my PS3 broke (for good). I'm still moping and stressing out about it, and about being completely broke, but it's slightly less terrible after meditating. I think I need a second round, though haha.

*Posy*

Current Challenge

Consulting Knights in the TARDIS

Previous Challenges: One

True Neutral Human Adventurer with Ranger-Druid aspirationsCurrent Stats: LVL 2 || (STR) 6 || (DEX) 4 || (STA) 5 || (CON) 3.5 || (WIS) 9.5 || (CHA) 4.5

Week 1 Recap:

Monday (6/3): 5 minute breathing space.

Tuesday (6/4): Progressive muscle relaxation (PMR) in 8 groups for 12 minutes.

Wednesday (6/5):  5 minute breathing space.

Thursday (6/6):  PMR 4 stages for 8 minutes.

Friday (6/7); Mindful eating for 5 minutes.

Saturday (6/8): 5 minute breathing space

Sunday (6/9): PMR 4 stages for 8 minutes.

*Posy*

Current Challenge

True Neutral Human Adventurer with Ranger-Druid aspirationsCurrent Stats: LVL 2 || (STR) 6 || (DEX) 4 || (STA) 5 || (CON) 3.5 || (WIS) 9.5 || (CHA) 4.5

I keep forgetting to meditate until I'm in bed haha.

So I've been meditating before falling asleep. It's been difficult to keep my thoughts from going this or that way, but I try to let my thoughts go the moment they pop up and return to my breathing. (all while hoping not to start hyperventilating :tongue:) Or do some self-guided relaxation :)

It's been really helpful for calming myself and falling asleep :)

6/7 done this week. Still angry I missed the first day :tongue: (not really)

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

I missed Saturday by virtue of leaving the apartment before 10 am and not returning until midnight, so tired that I passed out without even turning the lights off.  Sunday, I meditated on my back in the pool.

Milythael Assassin

Current Activity: Milythael Acts Like an Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

Challenges: Intro, 123, 4567, 891011 12
PVPs: Demon Slaying, HOoRAY, Meditation,
 Poses, Juggling 30/30 Squat

I'm so glad I've decided to start meditating again. It's been incredible to take a few minutes to clear my head every evening and let go over any tension from the day. :)

THIS!

Same here.  This week I have meditated at the beach, while lying in bed, and while grilling out.  Good times!

VANGELIS

WEREBUNNY

ADVENTURER

LEVEL 1

STR: 3 | DEX: 0.5  | CON: 2  | STA: 0.5  | WIS: 7 | CHA: 2

CHANGE THE CONVERSATION IN YOUR HEAD

Challenge Goals 

I missed Wednesday and Thursday, but I spent some time meditating at my desk this morning shortly after I arrived at work.

Milythael Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

Week 2 Recap:

Monday (6/10): 5 minute breathing space.

Tuesday (6/11): Progressive muscle relaxation (PMR) in 1 group for 6 minutes.

Wednesday (6/12): 5 minute breathing space.

Thursday (6/13): 5 minute breathing space.

Friday (6/14): 5 minute breathing space..

Saturday (6/15): 5 minute breathing space.

Sunday (6/16): 5 minute breathing space.

There was also some mindful eating in there, but I didn't keep track of how long. This week I want to work more PMR back in.

*Posy*

Current Challenge

It is amazing how hard sitting and focusing on your breath for just 5 minutes can be. I thought that it would get easier after a couple of weeks, but somedays it is a real struggle, I am constantly having to pull my attention back to counting my breath. Is it getting easier for anyone else? I could do with some tips!

Wood Elf Ranger - Level 10

STR 11.75|DEX 11.5|STA 9.25|CON 11|WIS 11.25|CHA 8.5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Found a book by Sensei Hayes when I was in high school that included some meditation/breathing exercises.  He recommended taking as deep a breath as possible and holding it as long as comfortable.  Then instead of breathing normally, you expell all of the air in your lungs.  When you think you've got it all, force your diaphram up to get the last bit.  Then hold that as long as comfortable.  Breathe normally for 3-5 breathes to recover, then repeat for a total of 3 repetitions.  After that, I find it a lot easier to focus on breathing and let my other thoughts flow as they will.

I'm trying to figure out which book that actually was so I can look for a copy, if anyone recognizes it.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Week 3 Recap:

Monday (6/17): 5 minute breathing space.

Tuesday (6/19): 5 minute breathing space

Wednesday (6/19): 12 minute Loving Kindness meditation

Thursday (6/20): 5 minute breathing space.

Friday (6/21): 12 minute Loving Kindness meditation

Saturday (6/22): 5 minute Chakra Balancing meditation

Sunday (6/23): 5 minute breathing space.

There was also some mindful eating in there, but I didn't keep track of how long. This week I want to work more PMR back in.

*Posy*

Current Challenge

Found a book by Sensei Hayes when I was in high school that included some meditation/breathing exercises.  He recommended taking as deep a breath as possible and holding it as long as comfortable.  Then instead of breathing normally, you expell all of the air in your lungs.  When you think you've got it all, force your diaphram up to get the last bit.  Then hold that as long as comfortable.  Breathe normally for 3-5 breathes to recover, then repeat for a total of 3 repetitions.  After that, I find it a lot easier to focus on breathing and let my other thoughts flow as they will.

I'm trying to figure out which book that actually was so I can look for a copy, if anyone recognizes it.

A variation on this is to breath as deeply as you can from your lower belly, pause (time can vary as much as you wish), exhale in a controlled fashion, pause, repeat.  Try counting them backwards from 10 to practice focus and stilling the mind, restart when you find you've let your mind wander.

Daniel P. Reid has a good section on breathing exercises in "The Tao of Health, Sex, & Longevity.  

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

I found this PvP a couple weeks into the challenge, but better late than never! :) I'm using the Mindfulness meditation app on my iPod, increasing each session by a minute. I like meditating in the evening especially; definitely helps clear the mind, just as lexpheonix said.

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

Week 4 Recap:

Monday (6/24): 12 minutes of Loving Kindness meditation

Tuesday (6/25): 5 minute breathing space

Wednesday (6/26):  6 minutes of Loving Kindness meditation

Thursday (6/27):  5 minute breathing space

Friday (6/28); 5 minutes of Loving Kindness meditation

Saturday (6/29): 5 minutes of Loving Kindness meditation

Sunday (6/30): 6 minutes of Loving Kindness meditation

Obviously, I decided to focus on Loving Kindness meditation this past week! For this coming week, I would like to do more Progressive Muscle Relaxation. However, I'm going to be traveling all week and will have little to no Internet access - so I won't be able to update the spreadsheet probably until next Monday.

*Posy*

Current Challenge

Okay here comes a late update of my meditation challenge.
I started meditating every second day and at about the 4th week went for it every day. The first 4 weeks were sessions of 5min long usually, the last weeks were session of 15min long. I tend to follow the loving kindness technique but often just focus on my breathing ^^ i saw the posts from all you other guys and i can se you all did awesomly :D congrats to all!

Level 10 Bleu Gardien Assassin of the Lanomia Clan

Buddhist, Traceur, Martial Artist, Assassin, Templar

Strenght: 22 Constitution: 9 Dexterity: 4 Wisdom: 12 Stamina: 11 Charisma: 5
- My Epic Quest: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/28629-an-assassins-epic-quest/
- My Tenth-th Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56054-cobaltswords-journey-chapter-10/

- Daily Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51677-cobaltswords-journey/

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle" - "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

I didn't post my re-cap for last week, but it's the same for this week. I did a 5 minute breathing space everyday. So I'm happy to say I manged to meditate every day for the past 6 weeks!  Some days I only did 5 minutes, but I also worked in mindful eating, loving kindness mediation, and progressive muscle relaxation, which took longer. I'm really happy I did this challenge and took the time each day to just take a breath and relax. I think it made the challenge overall a lot easier.

*Posy*

Current Challenge

Well done, everyone.  Combined, we have over 320 days of meditation.  Considering that a few people stopped reporting (myself included), I think it is safe to say that we have about a year of meditations completed.  I think everyone did awesome.

Posy, you really knocked this one out of the park.  Between your daily practice and your motivating updates, I think you are definitely the MVP.

Does anyone intend to continue their practice?  I know meditation has become a useful tool for me to control anxiety, and I will continue with it long into the future.

Milythael Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler