• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tateman

Tateman takes his first step into the challenge arena!

So the day has finally come for me to get going.  This challenge seems like the perfect thing to get me going and stay with it :)

Goal 1:  Workout at least 3 times a week.

​Now I know this might not seem like much, but I really haven't been doing anything, so this is a much needed improvement.  Now my actually plan is to start with the Rebel Fitness Guide Level 1 Rookie workouts every other day, then walking or C25K on the other days.  I also want this to be something that takes me outside.  I want to make sure I don't overdo it and say workout every day, but I am going to try as much as I can to at least go 6 out of 7 ;)  I also bowl 2 nights a week, but I am not counting that as workout time.

Goal 2:  Find ways to eat veggies.  Updated: Eat vegetables at least 3 times a week in some form.

My vegetable intake is really low.  I know I need to get to eating more.  I have a hard time trying to eat many vegetables.  So far corn, green beans, peas, and the frozen vegetable medley types are really the only ones I like.  I want to find healthy ways to cook vegetables that I can like and eat lots of.  I have tried steamer bags and most times it is like insta gag reflex.  The texture and taste are just so bleh to me.  I am going to try to bake some Asparagus like Steve did, and see how I like that.  I might just discover many new and healthy ways to eat veggies that I haven't really been trying.

Talking with people in the thread I thought I should get a little more specific with the goal.   ;)

Goal 3:  Stop all the late night snacking

So in my into Rebel intro thread I mentioned I am now a type 2 diabetic on medication.  I want to get off that :)  Best way is for me to lose some weight. :)  I have had success counting carbs instead of calories to help control my diabetes.  Lost some weight, but I gained some back when I started getting my snack on.  It seems lately I do ok during the day, but after dinner it starts getting more and more I want to eat when I don't need it.

Goal 4:  Get some sleep!

This one seems kind of funny to me, but I know I don't get enough sleep.  I know that really isn't good for me.  I look at the time now and see it is after 2am.  I have always been sort of a night owl.  So my goal is to go to bed by midnight everyday.  I don't need to stay up to watch that one more youtube video.  I don't need to run that last quest or dungeon in World of Warcraft.  I need to get some sleep to help power me into the workouts :)

So there it all is for me right now.  I have other goals in mind, but I don't want to try to spring out too much yet and get overwhelmed with it all. ;)   I'll have to update with some beginning stats later on.

Edit for some grading:

Goal 1:

A:  All 3 per week!
B:  2 workouts and exercise day
C:  only 2 workouts per week
D:  only 1 workout per week
F:  No workouts

Goal 2:
A:  Tried lots of veggies at least 3 times a week
B:  Ate a few, but only got 2 per week
C:  Well, you tired to at least get 1 in there each week
D:  Didn't quite get 1 per week in, but you tried some
F:  You did nothing 

Goal 3:
A:  Nice, no extra snacking at night!
B:  Ok, you gave in a couple of times to healthey snacks
C:  On the right path, but you snacked quite a bit
D:  Pretty much stayed the same
F:  Ouch, not only did you snack, but you ate bad snacks

Goal 4:
A:  Nice!  Went to bed within a 10 minute window of midnight
B:  Not all the days, but better then 80% you hit your goal
C:  Ok, you got there about half the time
D:  Whoa dude, we were trying for earlier times mroe then later times
F:  Didn't change at all

My starting weight for this challenge is 333 pounds.  That is a big number, and it is about to get smacked down!

• Like 1

I had a sleep goal last challenge too, doesnt seem so strange :)

Your goals look good, are you going to assign points for them?

getting vegetables into my diet was pretty tough as well when I first started.  baby spinach mixed in with meals can help a lot.  Also, having a sweet potato mixed with the other vegetables helps in terms of texture.  a lot of fresher veges are an acquired taste/texture.  steamed green beans are NOTHING like canned green beans, but it's about getting used to those things.   Also, with it being warmer out you might want to try grilling veges.  I grilled up a cubanell pepper, red pepper, and a whole onion and the smokey flavor and way it was cooked made a big difference.

I love veggies but have been in the process of encouraging my boyfriend to eat more (and also continuing to add more to my own diet), and one thing I have found is that sauteeing and roasting them seems to do magical things. Seriously, brussels sprouts are probably his favorite vegetable now, when I sautee them until they start having some crispy brown and black marks. Grilling is also great for the same reasons, like terosx said. These cooking methods let veggies keep their texture and and also add a lot of flavor from the caramelizing and charring--this is in contrast with steaming, which can be hard to get right texturewise (can easily get mushy) and really only highlights the flavors of the veggies, which is not helpful if you don't actually like those flavors.

Another great way to add some flavor is acid, like lemon juice or vinegar.

Good luck, and enjoy the deliciousness!

I had a sleep goal last challenge too, doesnt seem so strange :)

Your goals look good, are you going to assign points for them?

I wasn't so sure on the points thing.  I don't know if it just isn't my thing or what.  So I figured I would skip it at least this time.

getting vegetables into my diet was pretty tough as well when I first started.  baby spinach mixed in with meals can help a lot.  Also, having a sweet potato mixed with the other vegetables helps in terms of texture.  a lot of fresher veges are an acquired taste/texture.  steamed green beans are NOTHING like canned green beans, but it's about getting used to those things.   Also, with it being warmer out you might want to try grilling veges.  I grilled up a cubanell pepper, red pepper, and a whole onion and the smokey flavor and way it was cooked made a big difference.

Yeah, I do like some other veggies too especially in a salad.  I know Broccoli I can stand to eat raw.  So far other ways not so much.  There was a thai dish I liked with them in there, but I am sure it was because of the sauce.  Being out in California it is warm quite a bit, or warm enough to do some grilling.  I was going to look up recipes for grilling veggies too.

I love veggies but have been in the process of encouraging my boyfriend to eat more (and also continuing to add more to my own diet), and one thing I have found is that sauteeing and roasting them seems to do magical things. Seriously, brussels sprouts are probably his favorite vegetable now, when I sautee them until they start having some crispy brown and black marks. Grilling is also great for the same reasons, like terosx said. These cooking methods let veggies keep their texture and and also add a lot of flavor from the caramelizing and charring--this is in contrast with steaming, which can be hard to get right texturewise (can easily get mushy) and really only highlights the flavors of the veggies, which is not helpful if you don't actually like those flavors.

That is what I hope for.  I really want to start getting to know how to cook veggies in a way that will keep me wanting to eat them every day, or even every meal.  I know know that is rarely the case.

Yeah, I do like some other veggies too especially in a salad.  I know Broccoli I can stand to eat raw.  So far other ways not so much.  There was a thai dish I liked with them in there, but I am sure it was because of the sauce.  Being out in California it is warm quite a bit, or warm enough to do some grilling.  I was going to look up recipes for grilling veggies too.

That is what I hope for.  I really want to start getting to know how to cook veggies in a way that will keep me wanting to eat them every day, or even every meal.  I know know that is rarely the case.

I was thinking about this more--to make this more measurable, maybe consider making your goal something like trying a certain number of new veggie types or recipes each week. That way, you will definitely eat some veggies, plus it will give you a great foundation to eat more in the future. It sounds like you have some good ideas for things to try, so you can keep track of things that don't make you gag and then keep trying them (sometimes you need to eat things a few times to actually *like* them).

Also, it seems okay (to me, at least) for you to like veggie dishes because of the sauce, if it gets you to eat them (as long as you aren't pulling the little kid trick of just licking off the sauce and re-dipping! ;) ). That will still do a lot toward getting you used to the textures and flavors of the vegetables themselves.

Agree entirely with Snark in her last post :)

The only advice I can offer re: veggies (being one who has loved them all my life) is that if even the grilling doesnt work, you can always puree them and add them to meatloaves, spaghetti sauce and other ground beef dishes (and in cakes/muffins, but thats not very paleo-ish :) and cheese sauce is your friend (also not Paleo-ish, but getting veggies > eating strict Paleo, imo)

Good points on the veggies.  I think I will alter the goal.  I was tempted to do this earlier too.  I think I will just add it as eating veggies at least 3 times a week to start.  I want to get to every day at least.

Bekah when I was younger, I use to tell my mother that if she should add the veggies to our spaghetti sauce if she wanted me to eat broccoli or brussel sprouts.  She thought that was entirely silly and never did it though.

Good points on the veggies.  I think I will alter the goal.  I was tempted to do this earlier too.  I think I will just add it as eating veggies at least 3 times a week to start.  I want to get to every day at least.

Bekah when I was younger, I use to tell my mother that if she should add the veggies to our spaghetti sauce if she wanted me to eat broccoli or brussel sprouts.  She thought that was entirely silly and never did it though.

Sometimes moms are the worst! hugs! You can puree it and add it directly to the sauce or mix it with the meat to make meatballs

and another idea...smoothies. You can add raw greens like spinach, Kale, etc. and some fruit and honey or sugar, and bam got some power veg! I make them with my kids and my son loved them (till he noticed the green flecks, so its mostly psychological for him now) but my daughter and I both eat them regularly

Hey... I told you I will be creeping lol. with the late night snaking goal I don't keep bad food in the house so if I need to much on some food I can only eat fruit or vegys lol (I am wayyyyyyy to lazy to drive somewhere to buy junk food) hahaha but it works for me!!!!

Yeah, I would prefer to just keep it all away to.  My problem is that even with healthier options, I can still overeat on them.  Like I was getting a trail mix, or nuts for awhile.  Well, I'd get a little bowl, then another, then another.  Those kind of things just add up.  I did it once before when I first started to count crabs and such,  I had stopped the after dinner snacking, so I am sure I can do it again.

Those are nice goals!

For the veggies, I like to eat them sliced and cooked with meat, eventually pasta (or rice) and some kind of sauce. For instance I enjoy zucchini with carrots, tomatoes and mushrooms sliced and cooked in a big pan with some olive oil and onions, added with ground beef, coconut milk, spices and chinese noodles. Then I add a sip of soy sauce in my plate. Not paleo but you can take off the pasta and eat it with spaguetti squash or sweet potatoes.

It's nice cause the variations are endless. You can make it with chicken, or pork, or fish, sweet pepper, broccoli, whatever you have!

Salads with a lot of ingredients (letuce, tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, broccolis, sweet peppers, mushrooms, whatever veggies, meat, pasta or rice or potaoes or sweet potatoes, spices, herbs, olive oil...) can be pretty tasty too.

Good luck!

Those are nice goals!

For the veggies, I like to eat them sliced and cooked with meat, eventually pasta (or rice) and some kind of sauce. For instance I enjoy zucchini with carrots, tomatoes and mushrooms sliced and cooked in a big pan with some olive oil and onions, added with ground beef, coconut milk, spices and chinese noodles. Then I add a sip of soy sauce in my plate. Not paleo but you can take off the pasta and eat it with spaguetti squash or sweet potatoes.

It's nice cause the variations are endless. You can make it with chicken, or pork, or fish, sweet pepper, broccoli, whatever you have!

Salads with a lot of ingredients (letuce, tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, broccolis, sweet peppers, mushrooms, whatever veggies, meat, pasta or rice or potaoes or sweet potatoes, spices, herbs, olive oil...) can be pretty tasty too.

Good luck!

That sounds pretty tasty to me :)  Salads would be my easy go to.  I guess when i think about it, there are quite a bit of veggies I do like.  Some just in salads ;)  I really just need to eat more of then, and find ways to make me eat more of them.  

^This. All of this.

You're going to be awesome, and I look forward to seeing all your progress

Great Goals! I don't think the sleep one is weird. Getting a good amount of sleep is very important for you health. 

I have seen it as a few other people's goals as well.  Makes me feel better about it.  I already started trying to follow that one last night.  Woke up a few times for one reason or another, but overall it wasn't bad.  My docotor had told me sleep was really important too, so I really want to get it down as a permanent fixture in my routine.

^This. All of this.

You're going to be awesome, and I look forward to seeing all your progress

Thanks.  I feel really good about this going in, and am really excited to finally tackle my health problems and get things headed in the right direction.

-le gasp- Bowling?! I used to do a lot of that when I was younger~! Was so much fun :3 Since you got your gradin' and startin' going, I can already see you knocking strikes and turkeys on this challenge~! :D -flails rainbow pompoms- You got this in the bag!

Thanks.  I hope getting in better shape will help me more in bowling too ;)

Ordered my fitbit one, should be here Tuesday.  Also went and picked up a couple of dumbbells so I can start my workouts on Monday :)  Been checking out a few recipes on preparing Broccoli.  I hope they taste as good as they sound :)

Sleep is always crucial for me. When I don't get enough sleep, I end up craving carbs, carbs, carbs. Not to mention my mood is always better with plenty of sleep. I think that's a goal more people should have!

Sruthi, yeah I feel like all of the negative things are interconnected and create a downward spiral.  I've seen a bunch of people ont he forums with sleep-related goals.  Sleep is just another fuel- without it you'll burn out.

Tateman, if you're looking into experimenting with broccoli you might want to check out brocooli slaw.  It's broccoli stems that are shredded like those little carrot pieces in salad.  they can be eaten raw in a type of homemade cole slaw.  Also don't know what your tastes are like, but soy/teriyaki sauce sauteeing the slaw is good too.