• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Teros

TerosX Round 2: Tires+Sledgehammer

Ok, update time.  First off, here are the green beans pic and Average Joe finally getting a paint job:

redjoe_zpsec9130a8.jpg

beans_zps4b9145a2.jpg

Next up was the gym trip with my mom.  She actually tried pretty well. Every time we've gone, she trys to just hurry up and finish the circuit and ends up hurting herself a little bit.  This time I had her work on sets with me.  She took it a lot slower and did everything pretty well.  As for when I did the circuit; I realized I could do more on a few machines.  The chest press used to kick my butt.  I would shake and barely be able to do 50 pounds.  I was able to comfortably do 70 pounds.  I could probably up even more, but I wanted to make sure my technique and pacingfor reps was good.  Felt good to find 20 lb added to be easier than when I last went.  A similar situation happened on the bicep curl machine and the overhead press machine.

And the ab machine.  Holy jeez.  I maxed it out.  I used to be able to max out two thigh machines, but never even close to an ab machine.  Did 120 lbs, 2 sets of 10 for the ab one.  Also, when I did my normal workout yesterday I FLEW through my crunches.  I used to strain at about 6 reps and then take a few second breathers every couple of reps until I finished my total (currently 25).  This time I did 11 easily and then slowed down for a few seconds and finished the rest.  Huge improvement.  I think going to the gym gave me a confidence boost and made the gym exercise and my home routine even better.

Eating paleo is going ok.  I had my cheat dinner 2 days ago and it was awful.  Add little ceasar's deep dish pizza and taco bell to my list of NEVER EAT AGAIN EVER.  Today was going  to be my cheat snack/lunch thing.  Going to get a gelati (it's italian ice+vanilla custard) today since I like them alot and they're hal price since it's the first day of summer.

For my workout routine:

15-20 Sledgehammer

25 Incline Pushups

25 Reverse Crunches

25 InclineCrunches

8 Bodyweight Squats

I do have a tiny bit of bad news though.  I was looking up informationon how to strengthen my knee and apparently squats are the WORST thing to do with your knees when trying to rehab it.  I want to do these squats but I guess I have to reshelf them again.

Did the protein challenge last week without my problem; but this stretching challenge is tough for me.  It's just not natural for me to stretch- I just go go go and then I'm done.  Regardless; I'm going to try some stretching once I'm off of here and do my workout. 

Sounds like things are going awesome, other than the knee stuff. Good luck with the stretching, it can make everything better and more balanced. Try taking some time on it just for the rest of the week, and then you might have a great new habit built into your workouts!

Ok, so I did my workout today.  I added stretching into it.  I did the first 3 exercises that are on the diagram in the mini-challenge thread.  The one where you are supposed to put your arm behind your back and then with your other hand, pull your elbow down...

Yeah, not humanly possible.  I can seriously only get my hand to about between the should-blades maximum for distance.  As for the other arm; I can't even come close to grabbing my elbow.  I get to the middle of my forearm.  I knew I had like -50 flexibility, but this is insanly bad. 

Because I added the stretching (and because I did an extra workout day and am pretty sore) I didn't upgrade my reps:

15-20 Sledgehammer

(Stretching added)

25 Incline Pushups

25 Reverse Crunches

25 Incline Crunches

Stretching makes my body feel worse. Not like a 'burns but feels good'.  More like a 'just burns'.  Maybe I'm overextending myself or something.  I don't even know.  Didn't think I'd feel so inept about stretching.  Also, it might be because I just have so much weight left to lose but I lose my balance a little.  The shoulder-upper arm one where you just kind of hunch over -  I kept tipping incorrectly.  Very disheartening.  But it just proves that it's something I shouldn't quit at. So I'll be doing 3 different stretches tomorrow.  Hopefully I can try each one once before the challenge is over.

Snark:

Well I'm thinking of staying an adventurer next challenge, but I'm going to have more Warrior-Monk goals. 

Probably: 1)Paleo 2)Stretching/Yoga 3)Heavy Lifting 4)Guitar.

Stretching is definately something foreign for me, but I know I need it.  I guess I just have so many OTHER things to work on myself that this falls to the side.  =/

For the shoulder/upper-arm one (#2 in the chart?), you could try putting your hands on something and sort of pushing your head through. It's maybe not exactly the same, but it's a great shoulder/upper back stretch that I personally love. You could also try holding onto a pole or something and leaning back to get a nice stretch on your upper back with a little more exterior support. But definitely be gentle with yourself! It shouldn't hurt when you are done. Hopefully you will find a stretch that feels good soon, so you will have an idea of what you are going for in the other stretches, too.

I love that you had your mom working out with you and that you helped her work through her sets. That's so sweet!

Some stretches might feel like a burn, especially if you're not very flexible yet. It'll get better!

Well I can't keep to the stretching mini-goal at all.  I forgot AGAIN so I'm not going to give myself any points.  However, it is something that I really think I need to work on.  I think what I'll try and start doing is just picking one stretch and do that once I finish my workout.  I just feel clumsy and awkward when I do them but I've got to get over that.

In other news: My beans are growing!  I'll try and have a picture up today or tomorrow; but I have 3 sprouts showing up in my green planter.  I'm so excited.

I need to plan better with my food. I haven't gone astray(except missing a meal), but I'm hating eating some of the food that I'm eating right now so I need to mix it up again.  I'm kind of in a food funk.  Anything bad I eat for me destroys my body, and anything good for me I just don't want to eat.  So I'm kind of just stuck food-wise.  I'll be doing some shopping tuesday so I need to buckle down and think about this.

Also, I did part of my life goal.  I sanded one of my endtables.  It looks awesome and I can't wait to prime/paint it.  My plan is to do a coat every other day which should only take a few minutes.  By the end of the week, it'll be done and I can start sanding another endtable. 

Another thing concerning the life goal is the ac bracket thingy that I'm making.  In about 20 minutes I'm going to lowes to get some plexiglass trimmed down and I'm caulking the pieces together so I'll have the ac frame up by the end of the week (caulk takes forever to dry.)

Doing that extra workout at the gym made me rethink how often I work out and what days.  Workouts are now getting harder and I don't think I'm letting my body recover enough and then slacking off too much on certain workdays.   The food is becoming an issue too.  I'm not screwing up but I feel I need to do a serious reevaluation.  I'll post an update on that once I figure it all out.  Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

OH!  Almost forgot.  It's super hot out so it's SWIMMING TIME.  I definatly want to put that in the mix- especially with my knee being rubbish still. 

Ok, I def want to do this week's mini challenge.  After not being able to remember/handle the stretching setup last time; I KNOW that I canmake myself do this challenge.  I'll make another post, butfor now I don't want to forget what exercises I plan on doing:

Chaser=Mountain Climber (seems like the least impactful on my knee)

Beater=Incline Pushups (I already am pushing myself to do these and they count so this is a no-brainer)

Keeper=If my sledgehammer workout counts as clubbell/sledgehammer exerises, then I'm GOLDEN here. If not, then I will bedoing 'chair-ups' since I have a nice wooden chair that would be perfect for this.

Seeker=All of these look pretty hard but I think I can do single leg deadlifts.  If need be, I can just use my other knee moreso, and be close to a wall so if I need to lean I can.

ok, put off writing stuff down.

My original plan was: sledgehammer workout with additional routine thurs/fri/sat.  sledgehammer and tire flips on sunday.

However that gives me too many rest days in the middle and not enough rest for how hard I'm pushing myself at the end of the week.

Also, I thought my mom was going to give up going to the gym.  Apparently I've motivated her enough that she wants to keep going- which means I'm doing an arc machine/eliptical and then a full weight circuit with her twice a week.  This simply isn't feasable so I've decided to tweak my routine into:

Sunday: Sledgehammer+routine+tire flips

Monday:Rest

Tuesday: Eliptical/Full Circuit with mom+swimming

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Eliptical/half circuit with mom/slegehammer+routine+swimming (day off so I can go heavy on this day. This is moreso a 'do as much as possible and then crash and play videogames type plan.)

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Sledgehammer+routine

I feel this gives me more adequate rest for my muscles, has the activities well rounded so I'm not burned out, and lets my mom rest too since I highly doubt she could do circuits 2 days in a row. 

So today is tuesday so I did the tuesday setup.  I went to work, came home, picked up g/f, went to the gym with my mom and we took our time with the machines.  Then came home and doggy paddled a bit.  Felt really good. I'm worn out, but not in pain so I think this is the sweet-spot for exercise.

Also since this week we're going to DESTROY THE ASSASSINS, I figured I would add those exercises to my 'routine'; meaning I'll be doing:

Sledgehammer ~ 20 min

Incline Pushups

Reverse Crunches

Incline Crunches

Mountain Climber

Single Leg Deadlifts.

Hi Teros- 

Stopping by to cheer you on. I can totally sympathize with you on gray and gloomy days. I hope the weather is getting better. It is definitely awesome that you are changing your work outs to correlate with your mom's. That is super sweet. 

I hope you are having a great week!

Ok so yesterday I did:

20 minutes sledgehammering

25 Incline Pushups

25 Reverse Crunches

25 Incline Crunches

5 Mountain Climbers

10 1 Leg deadlifts

Today I'm priming my endtable and going to lowes for the FINAL time to get my plexiglass piece recut again so I can caulk the frame together.  It's rainy and col today and that plexiglass caulk needs  afew days to dry so now's the perfect time- before it gets super hot again I want to make sure I can use this AC.  Then it's AC workouts!  Also, the green beans are doing good I guess.  There's 3 that didn't take so I'm throwing a few more seeds into the planter.  I want at least 5 green bean spouts this year to pick some fresh produce from. 

Hmm, I should try to grow some green beans too.  Right now I have 3 tomato plants, and two watermelon plants.  Can't wait for them to produce :)

did today:

20 minutes of sledgehammering

30 incline pushups

30 reverse crunches

30 incline crunches

10 1 leg deadlifts

20 tire bashes.

I need to add my totals to the current challenge going on but no one has told me what my sledgehammering counts as.  on the list of options, it says 1 rep=1 point/10 seconds=1 point/30 seconds=1 point.  So which is it doe sledgehammers?  20 minutes/400 reps.  Does that mean 400 points?  120 points? 40 points?

tateman, thats cool you got some other things growing.  this is my first time to try having a green thumb.  if it goes well i totally plan on growing tomatoes and peppers next year.

ok, I'm adding it all in here and I'll put the info on the spreadsheet in a few minutes.

total:

40 minutes sledge        =240 pts=keeper (used ghe 10 sec option since its low weight and faster reps)

55 incline pushups       =55 pts  = beater

55 rev crunches

55 incline crunches

20 1legdeadlifts           =20 pts  =seeker

5 mountain climbers     =5 pts =chaser

20 sledge tire bashes   =20 pts = keeper (used 1 rep=1 point since i hit the tire as hard as possible like a madman)

according to this, I netted 340 pts for adventurers. i wish that this ended tomorrow morning.  if so I couldve logged in one more huge session till exhaustion.  i need to go to bed. I'll write more tomorrow- just wanted to get my points logged in.

woohoo. i have pics. I finally finished somelife goal stuff:

Goal 4: Life Goal-

Mini-projects:

sanding, priming, painting endtable

sanding, priming, painting desk

break window, plexiglass cut and assemble summer frame, plexiglass cut winter frame

ac_zpsac46c15d.jpg

endtable_zpsf61e4812.jpg

I don't have a 'before' picture, but that endtable was a grody brown and those handle were a dingy brass. now it's sleek black ( to match the room) with silver handles.

Also, with the ac frame I had to think outside the box.  I made cardboard blocks that were sealed in packing tape and then aligned with the rest of the frame, then the plexiglass pieces were caulked together, then packaging tape put along the edges to keep it stable; set in  and I also had to make a quick cardboard bottom piece so the ac wouldn't be tipping forward/diagonal.  overall it works pretty well and my workout room is nice and cold.  Exercised today and it's awesome.  I tried hip thrusts- OMG my hamstrings want to explode.  Also, I did those 1 leg deadlifts during the assassin challenge.  I like how they stretch my legs out so I think I'm going to throw a few (10) at the end of my workout.

this weekend I plan on sanding and priming my desk.  Hopefully I can get sometires for my barbells this week too.  If things go well I'll upload some pics of the progress I make there.  Things are still going pretty well for food and exercise.

Oh, idk if I mentioned this a week or so ago, but I'm officially done with bagels.  Bloated for hours.  And today for my cheat breakfast I had some dunkin' donuts stuff- lemonaide doughnut and some hashbrown thingys.  They sucked =/   scratching those off the list too for things I don't want to eat again.  It's getting hard to find stuff that is actually worth cheating for.  Gelati and chinese food seems to be the only things now.

for this week's challenge....anyone have any ideas for fresh food recipes? 

It's getting hard to find stuff that is actually worth cheating for.  Gelati and chinese food seems to be the only things now.

That is very cool! I may try that idea some time in the future. Just make the decision that it is not worth it because of how it makes me feel... One day. But thanks for the inspiration!

well instead of a cheat 'day', i have cheat 'meals'. so a cheat breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  cheat breakfast has always been cheddar cheese bagel with cream cheese and a large chai, but the last time I had 1 1/2 bagels I wanted to puke.  My stomach was rock hard and I felt awful for hours.  I just focus on that feeling and I just can't make myself have that for cheat breakfast anymore.  this week I figured I would have some munchkins/doughnuts and I felt the same, so I can't do that for cheat breakfast either. 

Chinese food is fine since about 60% of what I get is vegetables.  broccoli, sesame green beans, chow mein, and spring rolls are the bulk of it.  Followed by some japanese cutlets, general tso's, and teriyaki beef sticks.  a little bit of all that in a medium sized to-go container works pretty well.  I feel full but not bloated, and it's not THAT bad compared to any other take-out I could get. 

The gelati is just a small cup of custard and Italian ice mixed together; so it's high in sugar but if I've already had lots of healthy food beforehand, it doesn't make me have a sugar rush/crash.