pbandbrains Does Something About it

I’ve definitely made progress since I first joined Nerd Fitness, but there are still plenty of things I’m struggling with. No worries, though, because I’m going to find the problem and overcome it!

Diet:

Plan the week’s meals by Tuesday and buy groceries by Wednesday. CON 2 WIS 2

A-I did it.

C-Planning/grocery shopping was delayed and it was my fault.

F- I didn’t.

Last challenge I tried to stay Paleo, but I found myself slipping up when I came home and was too tired to make real food. If I know what I’m making, I can purchase what I need, cook it ahead of time, and not have that problem. If anyone has some fun recipes to try that do not include (or least have a very small amount) of dairy or grain, please share!

Fitness:

Walk for 40 min 5x a week, or 200 min total. 2 STA 2 DEX

A-200 min/week

B-160 min/week

C-120 min/week

F-less than 120 min/week

I tried running last challenge and decided I’m either not a fan or at least am not ready to make it a regular thing. I do love walking, though, and will focus on that for now.

Fitness:

Complete level 4 Rebel/Renegade workouts 3x a week. 3 STR

3x-A

2x-B

1x-C

0x-F

I have done well on my strength training in the past. So, this challenge, I’m increasing my level in the Rebel Fitness Guide.

Lifestyle:

Write for 30 min 3x a week or 90 min total. WIS 4

A-90 min/week

B-60 min/week

C-30 min/week

F-less than 30 min/week

I haven’t written anything for fun in a while. It would be nice to get back into the habit of doing so.

Mini-Challenges:

Take a class at the herbal learning center. WIS 1

Have a game night. CHA 1

Hike a new trail. STA .5 DEX .5

Try three new recipes. CON 1

Buy new weights and use them. STR 1

Starting Measurements

Height: 5’ 10.5â€

Weight: 194.8 lbs.

Bust: 39 in.

Natural Waist: 31 in.

Belly Button Waist: 39 in.

Hips: 43.5 in.

Level 8 Undead Ranger

STR: 17.75 | DEX: 13 | STA: 16.25 | CON: 20 | WIS: 15.25 | CHA: 14

My Current Challenge | My Epic Quest List

Good goals. The diet goal is something I could learn from. My meals are usually planned, then I don't go shopping, then I don't feel like making it, then I get busy, and then I make it on the last day before the stuff starts to go bad. Which usually means like 5+ days since I planned it. So I look forward to your progress encouraging me. And I've never had Scotch eggs (let alone Paleo Scotch eggs), but they sound good (especially with bacon), so I'm going to have to try them.

Walking is fun. Do you have trails or anything around you that let you experience a bit more nature, or are you in a city (which can also be really cool) or suburbs (kind of boring - I know from experience)?

I've been debating getting some weights, but I think I'm going to wait until I move. What kind do you want to get?

What kind of things do you usually write for fun?

Level 3 Ranger

STR: 6 | DEX: 3 | STA: 9 | CON: 4 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 5

Current Challenge

subbed. us zombie killers gotta stay together!

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

I hear ya on the too tired for real food.  Two things I've found helpful:

1. Crock pot as much as possible

2. Cook double batches and eat leftovers/freeze and defrost down the road

"The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start."  John Bingham

Level 1 Ranger, Str 4, Dex 1, Sta 2, Con 2, Wis 3, Chr 3

Thanks for all the support, guys!

Paleo Scotch Eggs! Paleo Scotch Eggs!

Eat them, seriously.  Also I recently discovered crustless quiches, cheese optional. Bacon necessary.

Looking forward to seeing how you do!  It sounds like you have some really interesting goals. :)

Never heard of scotch eggs before, but I will definitely look into it.

Good goals. The diet goal is something I could learn from. My meals are usually planned, then I don't go shopping, then I don't feel like making it, then I get busy, and then I make it on the last day before the stuff starts to go bad. Which usually means like 5+ days since I planned it. So I look forward to your progress encouraging me. And I've never had Scotch eggs (let alone Paleo Scotch eggs), but they sound good (especially with bacon), so I'm going to have to try them.

Walking is fun. Do you have trails or anything around you that let you experience a bit more nature, or are you in a city (which can also be really cool) or suburbs (kind of boring - I know from experience)?

I've been debating getting some weights, but I think I'm going to wait until I move. What kind do you want to get?

What kind of things do you usually write for fun?

I'm in the city, but there's a state park not too far off from where I live and there's tons of cool parks around, so I should have plenty of fun places to check out. Weight wise, I mostly need an upgrade since I've been working with the highest weight I own and I really could use more of a challenge. And I use just regular ol' dumbbells at this point. Perhaps you have suggestions for something different? As for writing, I'm a short story person and I mainly focus on character development rather than intense plot.

I hear ya on the too tired for real food.  Two things I've found helpful:

1. Crock pot as much as possible

2. Cook double batches and eat leftovers/freeze and defrost down the road

No crock pot for me, but I should probably consider purchasing one in the future. Leftovers are definitely a good idea.

Level 8 Undead Ranger

Perhaps you have suggestions for something different? As for writing, I'm a short story person and I mainly focus on character development rather than intense plot.

No crock pot for me, but I should probably consider purchasing one in the future. Leftovers are definitely a good idea.

The only weights I have is a weight vest I got like 5 years ago that's sitting in my mom's garage 4 hours away because I never moved it out. Now that I think about it, though, I should probably get that. It would probably help. Thanks! ;)

And crock pots are amazing. I eat leftovers more often than fresh cooked meals. I'll cook like 4-6 meals at once and throw the rest in the fridge. Of course, I'm still a college student at heart, so eating stir fry for lunch and dinner 4 days in a row doesn't bother me.

Level 3 Ranger

Current Challenge

One of my quick and easy almost no-prep lazy meals is a turkey wrap, where instead of a tortilla wrap you use thick cut turkey. I usually spread a little mustard on it, toss on some baby spinach leaves or romaine--onions when I'm feeling less lazy, but pretty much anything goes--roll it up and pin it with a toothpick. It's what I rely on when I'm just too tired to cook something healthful.

Good luck on your goals! What type of writing do you do?

Loki Lvl 3 Half-Giant Adventurer [sTR 10 - DEX 6 - STA 5 - CON 9 - WIS 7.5 - CHA 9.5] Introduction Post First Challenge Saga Second Challenge Saga

One of my quick and easy almost no-prep lazy meals is a turkey wrap, where instead of a tortilla wrap you use thick cut turkey. I usually spread a little mustard on it, toss on some baby spinach leaves or romaine--onions when I'm feeling less lazy, but pretty much anything goes--roll it up and pin it with a toothpick. It's what I rely on when I'm just too tired to cook something healthful.

YUMMMMM.. So that sorts lunch tomorrow.

Good luck pb and brains, particularly with writing. I always give it a go every november for nanowrimo and fail. dramatically. i have so much  more respect for writers these days.

Level 1 Grey Elf Adventurer    STR 1|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 4.5|CHA 2.5

Current Challenge    Previous Challenges one

Eating 2 meals a day

67%
67%

walking 10,000 steps a day

45%
45%

working out daily

14%
14%

to do ticks

50%
50%

Great goals!

How heavy of weights are you working with now? I swear by my Power Blocks. They were an investment, but I love the adjustability as I get stronger, and they were probably cheaper than buying sets of dumbbells (and take up less space).

I got some adjustable weights when I first started that went up to 12.5 lbs and I had a set of separate 8 lbs that I would awkwardly hold together to make 20.5. Those Power Blocks look nice but with that kind of price, I'll have to think about it and shop around. Thanks for the suggestion!

Loki, another variant on that is to get some sushi nori (seaweed) sheets and make insta-wraps from whatever you have on hand. It's yummy!

I'm totally making that Paleo sushi this challenge, cavejen!

This week is a killer for time management. I've only completed one short walk and a strength workout so far, but I was able to plan out my meals and will make time for shopping tomorrow evening. As long as I can make time for walks and writing the rest of the week, I'll be okay.

Level 8 Undead Ranger

Last challenge I tried to stay Paleo, but I found myself slipping up when I came home and was too tired to make real food.

This is exactly the same problem that I'm facing. Coming home at night hungry and tired from work, it becomes even harder with the bread cravings. I haven't slipped yet, but it is something I'm worrying about. I would love to know about the things you do to overcome this issue.

Level 3 Winged Humanoid Warrior/Monk Hybrid 

12 STR | 5 DEX | 13 STA | 5 CON | 5.25 WIS | 3 CHA

Challenge 1 Challenge 2 Current Challenge

This is exactly the same problem that I'm facing. Coming home at night hungry and tired from work, it becomes even harder with the bread cravings. I haven't slipped yet, but it is something I'm worrying about. I would love to know about the things you do to overcome this issue.

The best solutions I came up with were eating something right before left work (a handful of nuts or a piece of fruit) or just eating leftovers 5 nights a week. It was usually the latter, but eventually you have to make more food.

Level 3 Ranger

Current Challenge

I find planning ahead is the real solution, but some weeks I just don't get the time (actually after having gone through the exercise of planning out weekly meals several Sundays in a row I found it a lot easier to improvise -- but tend to eat less 'new' stuff).

It helps to always have a few go-to meals you can make quickly and you know you like. Also, pre-prepared veggies (whether you do it at the weekend, in the morning, or buy them frozen or pre-cut) open up a lot of new doors because often the thing I feel too tired for is all the prep work. "Well Fed" has this meal template thing where you pre-prepare all the meat and then throw together on the day.. works well.

In terms of bread cravings those are easier if you don't have any bread in the house :P

Some of my evening go-tos:

- Fridge Omelette (had this last night in fact)

- Frozen burger or sausage with sweet potato fries

- One Pot Special (heat up meat in pot, add veggies, add canned tomatoes & spices, reduce and simmer)

- Chilli (technically a variant on the one pot special)

- Breakfast for dinner

- Salmon and broccoli

- Chicken pesto and zucchini noodles

- Stir fry

There's a type of prepackaged chicken thighs they sell at Whole Foods that usually have over a week to their sell by date, so I usually have a pack of those in the fridge, plus sausages, eggs, and frozen veg in case of emergencies. :)

cavejen

lifting heavy stuff

putting it back down again

since 2012

~

Level 3 Cyborg Warrior

Current Challenge || Previous Challenges: (4), (3), 21 || Fitocracy

Check garage sales and Craig's list (if you have it where you are).  People are always getting rid of weights.  You might even get them for free.  They may not be pretty, but as long as they are functional, you'll be fine.

I'm kind of afraid of Craig's List, but it's probably a good place to check. Thanks!

I find planning ahead is the real solution, but some weeks I just don't get the time (actually after having gone through the exercise of planning out weekly meals several Sundays in a row I found it a lot easier to improvise -- but tend to eat less 'new' stuff).

It helps to always have a few go-to meals you can make quickly and you know you like. Also, pre-prepared veggies (whether you do it at the weekend, in the morning, or buy them frozen or pre-cut) open up a lot of new doors because often the thing I feel too tired for is all the prep work. "Well Fed" has this meal template thing where you pre-prepare all the meat and then throw together on the day.. works well.

In terms of bread cravings those are easier if you don't have any bread in the house :tongue:

Some of my evening go-tos:

- Fridge Omelette (had this last night in fact)

- Frozen burger or sausage with sweet potato fries

- One Pot Special (heat up meat in pot, add veggies, add canned tomatoes & spices, reduce and simmer)

- Chilli (technically a variant on the one pot special)

- Breakfast for dinner

- Salmon and broccoli

- Chicken pesto and zucchini noodles

- Stir fry

There's a type of prepackaged chicken thighs they sell at Whole Foods that usually have over a week to their sell by date, so I usually have a pack of those in the fridge, plus sausages, eggs, and frozen veg in case of emergencies. :)

Lots of good ideas, cavejen!

Today was much better in terms of my goals. I did a strength workout, took a 4.5 mile walk, and went grocery shopping (Yum, honey dew!). I still haven't started writing, but I'll probably use some prompts to get the ball rolling. 3 AM Epiphany is a book of prompts I used quite often when I was taking classes, so that would probably be a good place to start.

Level 8 Undead Ranger

In terms of bread cravings those are easier if you don't have any bread in the house :tongue:

Haa! True! Actually I did that, and that's perhaps the main reason why I haven't failed. Thanks, cavejen, for taking the time to writing down all those evening ideas. I really appreciate it and will implement some of them. Breakfast for dinner; why I didn't think of that one before?

Level 3 Winged Humanoid Warrior/Monk Hybrid 

12 STR | 5 DEX | 13 STA | 5 CON | 5.25 WIS | 3 CHA

Challenge 1 Challenge 2 Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines