catspaw

Mon, Jun 3rd - Daily Log

PWO: PWO shake
Lunch: 3 oz ground beef and shiitake hash, with poached duck egg
Snack: Another 3 oz ground beef
Post-MRI treat: 1/4 cup dark chocolate cashews
Dinner (restaurant): Tandoori mixed grill

Walking: 2.5 hrs

Today on "Things That Are Weird": having your MRI attendant hit on you while he is putting contrast fluid into your arm vein.

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Today on "Things That Are Weird": having your MRI attendant hit on you while he is putting contrast fluid into your arm vein.

at least it's a little bright spot :)

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Tue Jun 4th - Daily Log

Breakfast: 2 cups bone broth
Lunch: 3 oz ground beef and shiitake hash, topped with poached duck egg
Snack: Tuna fishcakes (with can of skipjack tuna)
Another snack (huuungry!): 1 scrambled egg
Dinner: Vietnamese stirfry with 2 scrambled eggs and 2 oz chicken breast

Those fish patties look tasty!

I must confess...I did not do chicken for dinner last night, as I had planned...so I had nothing left over to bring for lunch. So I threw a couple cans of tuna, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper in my bag. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Wed Jun 5th - Daily Log

Lunch: 3 oz ground beef and spinach hash, topped with poached duck egg
Snack: 1 piece (2-3 oz) chicarrones and 3 oz turkey breast
Dinner: Salmon fishcakes (with 7.5 oz can wild salmon)

Boring food day because I was pretty busy all day. Second rest day in a row complete: tomorrow is refeed and the start of another cycle (workout, workout, HIIT, workout, workout, rest, rest).

That looks like a good cycle. You feeling good?

Actually I think I'm accomplishing exactly what I wanted to be.

I've been planning the week's food to be exceptionally simple.  For example, same lunch every day for a week.  Dinners planned for the week to be things I can make in under 15 mins.  Etc.  And I think what this has helped most of all is that I've stopped thinking about food.  I'm not wondering the macros of dinner, and could I get a better bang (tastiness) for my buck (calories), and how much did the chicken breast I bought weigh again, and did I log raw macros or cooked macros by mistake, and etc etc etc.  Just plan, eat, move on.

As for workouts, I've actually gotten help designing them from a figure competitor friend.  The idea is to hit every body part at least once per week (more for lower body), but designed to not tax the CNS.  I've definitely found this to be true: I feel like I go in, work hard, come out a sweaty mess that gave it my all, but my need for recovery has gone way down with them.  Which, especially cuz I'm on a minor cut, is awesome.  They're also designed to hit some of my weak points more: for example, a lot of lat-activation work.

I'm also seeing some body comp progress.  Veeeeery slight progress, but still some.  1 cm off the waist this week.  Full disclosure: that did involve a few days of whining "I am soooo hungry" for hours, but it also involved a very solid refeed last Thurs.

Lastly, on the health issue stuff, there's been some promising (as in: possible diagnosis means possible treatment) test results, though confirmation is still needed.  More on this later.

So overall I'm feeling pretty good about how this challenge is going. :)

Also, puzzle for the "the scale needs to go down" folks.

My weight isn't budging.  It's the exact same as it was 3 months ago when my waist measurement was 7.5 cm (3 inches) larger.  Same point in my cycle.  And this week isn't a water weight anomaly.  And I'm definitely eating at a deficit.  And it's definitely been long enough that any whooshes should've happened.

I don't actually care about the number on the scale, but I do care about science and would love to understand this data.  Theories?  (I highly doubt it's recomp, since I'm not eating enough to grow muscle.)

I thought it looked like you were on a more "figure prep" kind of cycle. :) Glad to hear it's working so well for you!

As for your weight staying the same, I really have no clue either, lol. You did say your hormones could be out of whack? How steep of a deficit do you think you are eating at?

As for your weight staying the same, I really have no clue either, lol. You did say your hormones could be out of whack? How steep of a deficit do you think you are eating at?

Yes, they're very out of whack.  Which I know gums up the machines.

I really have no idea how steep of a deficit I'm eating at because I'm having difficulty calibrating.  When I was bulking, I was eating closer to 2500 average per day and gaining ~0.5 lb per week, but now I'm eating an average of ~1450 per day (incl. refeeds). I got there by slowly decreasing amounts until I finally got to a point where my measurements started moving, albeit not weight.

Fortunately part of this "let's fix Catspaw's health" initiative is including taking a look at my busticated hormones.  (That's a technical term, "busticated".)

Yes, they're very out of whack.  Which I know gums up the machines.

I really have no idea how steep of a deficit I'm eating at because I'm having difficulty calibrating.  When I was bulking, I was eating closer to 2500 average per day and gaining ~0.5 lb per week, but now I'm eating an average of ~1450 per day (incl. refeeds). I got there by slowly decreasing amounts until I finally got to a point where my measurements started moving, albeit not weight.

Fortunately part of this "let's fix Catspaw's health" initiative is including taking a look at my busticated hormones.  (That's a technical term, "busticated".)

You were also carb cycling then, no? That's good that they're looking at your hormones as well. It's such an underestimated factor in body composition.

I certainly don't know, you are way more sciency in praxis than I am. BUT...you can totally recomp without a surplus. It may be less common, but if the body 'needs' the meat more than the fat, it happens.

For example I have been sitting 'pretty much exactly' at maintenance for a few months now, but  averaging a slight deficit, and the scale doesn't change hardly at all. As in I joined NF two challenges back and the scale sat at 180-182 every day. Slight changes (adding cycled carbs, then just switching to rice with dinner, then lowering fat intake a bit) and I've been hovering at 178-180 for the past two weeks. However, my shape is changing quite a lot, I'm clearly building muscle. I'm a little surprised, actually, as I've never tried to gain without a hefty surplus, but at 46 it ain't worth the bulk/cut cycles to me.

My guess is that the demands (training sessions)  build up, and then when things are good hormonally/recovery wise the adaptations occur. By this I mean that we have to convince the body that homeostasis isn't working quite right- it needs to make a shift. This is easy to grasp. In your case, you were working a lot more before your health stuff kicked up if I am remembering right. Your body was doing the work you required of it on neural efficiency. You hit a wall and slowed down the demands (energy expenditure dropped) and your system saw a window to build some tissue to make future bouts on intense work easier. This is how things always seem to work to me, and why gains and losses are (or seem) so nonlinear. We used to see this in the lumberyard a lot, where guys would bust ass for six months, then take two weeks vacation and come back obviously bigger. 

hmm.. well... 

i was going to say busticated was a technical term, but you just said that. 

that'll teach me to read.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Hmm two things could be happening, but the more likely one you won't like.

First, as everyone said, you could be recomping, but with hormone issues, unlikely.

HOWEVER. Hormone issues can play right into this one. Fat re-distribution. I notice you only really track the tummy measurements, but fat might be falling off the waist to re-settle elsewhere in the body. Remember, hormones, history, and training can all be part and parcel to fat distribution. Might entirely be possible that due to hormone regulations being off, you are changing somatotype.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Hmm two things could be happening, but the more likely one you won't like.

First, as everyone said, you could be recomping, but with hormone issues, unlikely.

HOWEVER. Hormone issues can play right into this one. Fat re-distribution. I notice you only really track the tummy measurements, but fat might be falling off the waist to re-settle elsewhere in the body. Remember, hormones, history, and training can all be part and parcel to fat distribution. Might entirely be possible that due to hormone regulations being off, you are changing somatotype.

I'm actually tracking more than just tummy: it's just the measurement that moves the most.  Hips have gone down 0.5 cm, chest has gone down 1.5 cm, thighs have remained the same, calves have remained the same, etc.

Thu, Jun 6th - Workout Log

Hang cleans

45 x 12

45 x 12

45 x 12

These are still new to me. Mostly working on form.

BB Stiff-leg deadlift

95 x 15

95 x 15

95 x 15

95 x 15

Push Press

65 x 8

65 x 8

65 x 8

Seated military press

45 x 10

45 x 8

45 x 7

Prone incline front raises

7.5 x 10

7.5 x 10

Leaning side lateral raises

7.5 x 11

7.5 x 12

Tricep extension

20 x 12

20 x 10

Dips (negatives)

4, 4

BB Curls (wide grip)

25 x 12

25 x 12

Hammer curls

(ELECT reps + no rest btw sets)

3 @ 10, 3 @ 12.5, 3 @ 15

30 sec rest and reset

3 @ 10, 3 @ 12.5, 3 @ 15

Tricep rope pushdowns

(ELECT reps + no rest btw sets)

3 @ 25, 3 @ 30, 3 @ 35, 3 @ 40

30 sec rest and reset

3 @ 25, 3 @ 30, 3 @ 35, 3 @ 40

Low-energy workout .. lots of carbs tonight on the menu and then early tomorrow morning I'm attacking with a great leg workout planned.  Rawr!

Fri Jun 7th - Workout Log

Note the careful reader: The PRs below aren't truuuuue PRs, because most of these exercises are still pretty new to me.  So they're more like "the most weight I've done so far, because I'm still learning form" PRs.  That said, I'm still including them, because doing so is a great motivator for me to keep pushing myself with them.

Superset:

Bodyweight squats: 20 x 2

Ball pike-ups: 12 x 2

Superset:

1-arm 1-leg deadlifts:
   35 x 12 [PR]

35 x 12

35 x 12

Abductor machine:

70 x 20

80 x 20 [PR]

80 x 20

Front Squats:

45 x 12

50 x 12 [PR]

55 x 12 [PR]

60 x 12 [PR]

DB Sumo Deadlift

ELECT reps + no rest btw sets

60 x 3

70 x 3

80 x 3

90 x 3

100 x 3

30 second reset.

60 x 3

70 x 3

80 x 3

90 x 3

100 x 3

Superset:

Leg extension machineleaning back, toes pointed

40 x 12

40 x 12

40 x 12

45 x 12 [PR]

Leg extension machineleaning forwards, feet flexed

20 x 12

20 x 12

20 x 12

25 x 12 [PR]

Seated calf raises

BW x 60

Angled calf raises

30 x 12

30 x 10

30 x 11

Landmines

45 x 12

45 x 12

Planks

46 secs (front)

30 secs (side)

30 secs (side)
  50 secs (front)

Just curious how long your workouts take?

50-70 mins.

I've dropped my rest btw sets considerably, to more like 45 secs - 60 secs.  (Back in 5x5 and bulking land, I'd take 3-5 mins between sets.)  And between exercises I take up to 3 mins if I need it, but often just hop straight from one to the next.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines