I am training for my 1st Marathon & I am NERVOUS! Help, please??

Hello All,

I am training to run my first marathon in October and of course I went big. I signed up to do the Bank of America Chicago marathon... With 44,999 other individuals... Eeeeppp! lol  

I completed two half marathons last year (the OKC Memorial Half and the Prairie Fire Half in Wichita Ks). Since I completed these two races I thought it would be a good goal to do a full marathon to keep me on target and healthy.

I have a pretty solid running regimen (I am following Hanson's Marathon Method) but I could definitely use some pointers from people on other aspects to properly prepare for a marathon.

Any crucial pointers would be much appreciated!

Also I would be so grateful if people would be willing to help cheer me on & give me moral support.

I haven't been the best rebel lately but I hope to change that ASAP because I want to be more incorporated in this community! This is a great rebellion to be apart of and I know with all y'alls support I will excel at my goal amd complete this Marathon in stellar form :redface-new: 

Hi there! I just ran my very first marathon in April- so great!!!

I would say that my biggest things were to

1. Trust the process (training)

2. Hydrate (like a lot)

3. Test all your gear/fuel on your training runs (saw a poor girl bleeding from chub rub) 

4. HAVE FUN- seriously. I got so burned out on my training that it wasnt fun anymore. I fell into a slump like no other. Do whatever you can to keep things positive and joyful!

Good luck!!!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

I completed my first marathon last year and loved it! In training, I had never run further than 30k so I was a bit worried about hitting that infamous wall at that point in the race, and the best piece of advice I got from an experienced runner friend was this: "if you're running along feeling comfortable; slow down. If you're still comfortable; slow down more". I credit this tactic for the fact that on race day, at the 30k point I not only still felt fine but also started overtaking people who were flagging all around me. I didn't really start feeling tired until the 36k mark, and it was only the last couple of k that were truly difficult (and i mean horrendous, as in i've never wanted to stop running so badly in my life). And I still did an ok time (for a first marathon; 4:33).

Always kick higher