superjodash - Ranger in training (Challenge #1)

This is my first challenge. I'm super excited. I'm doing it with another friend (and possible another). I believe I've set up reasonable goals and I'm ready to get going. I hope to get to know some of you during this six-week challenge. 

Starting stats: 5' 11", 232lbs, BF% 28.1, sedentary lifestyle (programmer by day, husband/dad & movie buff by night)

Challenge 1 Goals: 

1. Do the Angry Birds Workout (ABW) for the full six weeks on Mon/Wed/Fri

2. Work my way up to jogging 1 mile without stopping by jogging on Tues/Thur/Sat for 30 minutes

• I have never been a good runner. Ever. I'd like to change that. 
  • I will be using C25K for my "trainer"
  • DEX 1, STA 3
3. Start measuring food to correct portions

• This has always been an issue for me. I really need to start being intentional about what I eat and how much.
  • I will make sure to at a) portion before sitting down to dinner at home and B) portion the food immediately when it's brought when eating out.
  • CON 2, WIS 2
4. Every week complete at least one of the many DIY jobs my wife planned for this summer.

• We have several projects which need to be completed and I don't want to let the summer get away
  • WIS 1, CHA 1

Risks: 

- The ABW and running are about 20-30 min each. It should not be difficult to carve out 30/day. However, it's every day and life tends to get in the way. It's going to mean getting up early to make it happen. 

- The portioning foods goal will not be dificult if I just remember to do it.

- The DIY projects will mostly have to be relegated to the weekends. I get home too late to start most of these projects

Check-Ins:

I plan to check in Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for goals one and two. I will include updates on goal three a few times a week but will leave goal four updates until the following Monday (unless it coincides with a M/W/F update).

Level 1 Human Adventurer (aspiring Ranger)
STR 2, DEX 1, STA 1, CON 2, WIS 2, CHA 2

Welcome, fellow noob! Loving the simplicity of the Angry Birds workout. I read this on the internet, so it must be true: one of the most deceptively easy way of controlling portion size? Evaluate your kitchenware. Tall and thin cups apparently make people pour and drink less juice/soda/other-evils. And smaller dinner plates are a no-brainer.

Best of luck along the journey and looking forward to your updates on ABW!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Welcome fellow adventurer.

Bwahahahahaha I love the way that your 4th goal was set by your wife. Happy wife = Happy life!

Good luck, and don't forget to check in and tell us all how your going.

Level 10 - Ironborn sellsword        Weight loss goal: 90kg --> 70kg      Endurance goal: non-stop 5km       Power goal: 10 full form pushups

Find me: My Fitness Pal | Fitbit | Feb 16 challenge

"I don't want to have a dozen sons. I want to have adventures" ~ Asha Greyjoy

@WeekendWarrior - Thanks!

@tanglebot - It does look simple. I tried it out yesterday and...it kicked my butt. I can't wait to look back in six weeks and see the change.

@sicil - Thanks for the tips on portion control. Definitely something worth considering. I've just recently decided to cut out liquid calories (mostly soda and beer) but I like the idea of using smaller plates!

@TankGrrl - So true!

Actually haven't tried the angry birds workout, but i was suprised how the beginner bodyweight workout kicked my butt.

those are great goals, looking forward to seeing how you get on. best of luck!

L2 Half-Dwarf Adventurer (Aspiring Assassin)   STR 4 DEX 3 STA 4 CON 6 WIS 2 CHA 3

"I AM GROOT." - Groot.

C25K is really great -- I used a free app on my iPhone. It lets you listen to music and then "interrupts you" gently to say, "Start Running" or "Start Walking" and then the music comes back on. It was pretty perfect for me.

As to portion sizes -- we have a handy fridge chart that's a lot like this one:

http://jesbody.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/portion-control1.jpg

The visuals really help me. Portion of meat? Deck of cards. I can do that.

Except for spaghetti (which I know is not paleo, but neither are we 100%). This pasta sizer thing is amazing if you eat a lot of spaghetti. When I measure with my hands I always overestimate:

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Spaghetti-Pasta-Measure/dp/B0000VLLY8/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1370224967&sr=1-2&keywords=pasta+measure

Good luck!

Week 1, Day 1

Completed ABW with some difficulty. I actually did the workout on Saturday to see what I was up against. Then I went for a run on Sunday. Let's just say my muscles haven't recovered yet :) However, I pushed through and did it.

Stats: 232lb, 28.1BF%

- Jumping Jacks: 35

- Squats: 15 x 2

- Push-ups (inclined on chair): 10 x 2

- Bent over rows: 15 x 2

- Planks: 30sec x 2

Tomorrow's run is going to be tough but I'm looking forward to it.

See you Wednesday!

Goal 2 Status: C25k 2.18 miles (averaged 13:36min mile). Sunday I took a two breaks but today I didn't need to! It was tough but felt great.

+ Bonus: Mowed the lawn and broke a sweat. Could have been the humidity :)

Actually haven't tried the angry birds workout, but i was suprised how the beginner bodyweight workout kicked my butt.

those are great goals, looking forward to seeing how you get on. best of luck!

Thanks! I think it's definitely a great workout for me

C25K is really great -- I used a free app on my iPhone. It lets you listen to music and then "interrupts you" gently to say, "Start Running" or "Start Walking" and then the music comes back on. It was pretty perfect for me.

As to portion sizes -- we have a handy fridge chart that's a lot like this one:

http://jesbody.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/portion-control1.jpg

The visuals really help me. Portion of meat? Deck of cards. I can do that.

Except for spaghetti (which I know is not paleo, but neither are we 100%). This pasta sizer thing is amazing if you eat a lot of spaghetti. When I measure with my hands I always overestimate:

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Spaghetti-Pasta-Measure/dp/B0000VLLY8/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1370224967&sr=1-2&keywords=pasta+measure

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! Good stuff. And yes, so far I'm really liking C25K.

Super- those are great goals, and good progress so far.  Keep up the good work, it will pay dividends!

Thanks! I appreciate it!

That's a neat way to go about measuring out the pasta... I'm interested to give that a shot without the device. 

However, when I have a craving for spaghetti, I usually go for a spaghetti squash. Not an exact texture, but it does the trick and actually takes less time to prepare

Cut the squash in half, remove seeds (save them for your garden or toast them for a snack), 5-8 min in the microwave, scrape out the 'spaghetti' add sauce and eat. Bonus, you can use the squash rind as a bowl!

Ranger: Level: 2 | STR: 6 | DEX: 2 |STA: 4.5 | CON: 4 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2 

Fitocracy | Slow Down Farm

I forgot to update Wedensday (well, I updated my Fitocracy profile) but I did the same workout as Monday. Unfortunately, I didn't workout yesterday but I did today. I added a few more reps to some of the sets so it felt good to push it a little. Also, I haven't run since Tuesday but plan on doing to today and tomorrow which will catch me up.

Stats: 230lb, 28.1BF%

- Jumping Jacks: 40

- Squats: 20 x 2

- Push-ups (inclined on chair): 12 x 2

- Bent over rows: 20 x 2

- Planks: 30sec x 2

I did a mix of beginner bodyweight workout, sprints and pullups in the park yesterday and I'm not entirely sure I survived.

Actually I used to get a sore knee after running, it got better when i shortened my stride and focused on landing more on the ball of my foot than the heel.

L2 Half-Dwarf Adventurer (Aspiring Assassin)   STR 4 DEX 3 STA 4 CON 6 WIS 2 CHA 3

"I AM GROOT." - Groot.

I did a mix of beginner bodyweight workout, sprints and pullups in the park yesterday and I'm not entirely sure I survived.

Actually I used to get a sore knee after running, it got better when i shortened my stride and focused on landing more on the ball of my foot than the heel.

Oh, thanks for the tip! I'll try that!

Well, I'm back on it. I did my ABW today and it felt pretty good. My knee was still a little iffy but it went fine. I'm hoping to run tomorrow. I need to try out the new ear buds I got for running :)

Quick stats: Jumping Jacks: 40, Squats: 20 x 2, Push-ups (inclined on chair): 12 x 2, Bent over rows: 20 x 2, Planks: 30sec x 2

I hope your knee is feeling better. It looks like you're really powering on. Keep going! !!

Sent with bad formatting from my mobile using Tapatalk 4 beta

Level 10 - Ironborn sellsword        Weight loss goal: 90kg --> 70kg      Endurance goal: non-stop 5km       Power goal: 10 full form pushups

Find me: My Fitness Pal | Fitbit | Feb 16 challenge

"I don't want to have a dozen sons. I want to have adventures" ~ Asha Greyjoy

Cheering you on!  If running is too much, you can cut back to walking.  I've had to do that several times in the two challenges so far.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines