BeccaLyse is getting back on track...

beccalyse

Hello, all.  

Back in January I embarked on my first NF Challenge.  And it went well.  And I did another one.  And then I got comfortable.

Oops.

The good news is that I haven't lost the plot completely.  Back in January, I weighed 210 lbs, never exercised, ate processed crap, and was generally a miserable human being who hated herself.  I'm down to 166 now.  I can shop in "normal" stores.  I've got a pretty awesome boyfriend.  I'm generally pretty damn proud of myself.

But I can do better.

So I'm back.

Some background information on my habits first...

I'm a paleo-enthusiast.  I've fallen off the wagon more often than I'd like lately, but I cook all of my meals and enter every last ingredient into My Fitness Pal.  I maintain a spreadsheet totaling sleep, steps, calories in, and workouts for each day, as well as averaging them out for the week.  This probably makes me a psychopath.

Because of my mad data-entry skills, I can say that I've regressed a month as far as weight loss is concerned.  At the beginning of May, I hit a plateau and lost all motivation.  Last week, I cheated to the point of binging... for seven full days.  

This time it's personal.  Literally.  This time it's not about weight loss... it's about accountability.  I'm better than this past month.  I'm strong and dedicated and MOTIVATED and NOT complacent.  I've got about 30 lbs to go, but I don't even care anymore.  It's not about the weight or the scale.  It's about the feeling of personal pride and accomplishment I used to have when I caught a glance at myself in the mirror.  I miss that feeling.

I'm getting it back.

STARTING STATS

Height - 5'5"

Weight - 166.1 lbs

CHALLENGE GOALS

1. We're going STREAKING!  

No. Not like that. Get your mind out of the gutter.  

• I will run a minimum of one mile each day.  Be it in the world or on a treadmill.  One mile.
  • Credit will be given for runs totaling one mile or more (I'm doing a 10k training program), a point being awarded for each day I run.  Assuming I run every day for the whole of the challenge (which I obviously will), a perfect score will be a total of 42 points.

2. Work them arms, girl.

In retrospect, my phrasing could probably be better there...

• I will practice handstands and pull-ups/tricep dips EVERY DAY.
  • A half point will be awarded for handstand practice, and a half point for pull-ups or dips (I alternate) for a total of one point per day.  Again, should I behave responsibly like the adult I pretend to be, a perfect score will be a total of 42 points.

3. You can't always get what you want. But you CAN get what you pay for.

I pay for a CrossFit membership.  I should use it on occasion.  For reals.

• For reasons I don't entirely understand, I've cooled on CrossFit.  I used to be super into it.  Then I got better at running.  I think I have shiny ball syndrome when it comes to fitness.  And technology.  And clothing.  And people.  Maybe I just have shiny ball syndrome all around.
  • Anyway, I pay for a 3 WOD/week membership.  I'm going to use it again.  REGULARLY.
  • This one's easy to grade.  CrossFit 3x/week= 3 points/week.  Perfect score of 18 points FTW.

4. Be excellent to each other.

"Each other" meaning me.

I'm a self-hate ninja. I mean, we're all good at something... but I'm a gold medalist at being too hard on myself when it comes to diet and exercise.  This is going to be a hard one to grade, but... I'm just not fun anymore.  I need to fix that. SO...

• No more publicly obsessing over what I'm eating (yea... I'm THAT guy).  No more meltdowns because I broke paleo and split a dessert with the boyfriend or had a couple of beers at a party or really wanted that slice of pizza.
  • No more shaming myself over ditching my run after only 1.5 miles (it was supposed to be 4) because it was 95 degrees out and I was severely overheating.  When I started all this, I couldn't run 30 seconds without taking a break (not an exaggeration).  Perspective.

I'm giving myself license to live.  I meticulously track calories on a daily basis (I've logged into MFP over 130 days in a row now).  I track EVERYTHING.  And I know I operate at a deficit on the regular.  Even WITHOUT factoring in workouts.  So if I want to have a beer with a friend after school, I'm going to be alright with it, dammit.  Not because I deserve it (food is NOT a reward to me anymore) but because stressing out over it is pretty flipping ridiculous.

Level 3 Scout

My Challenges: Challenge IChallenge II; Challenge III

"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Woohoo! Shiny! I'm loving your goals! I am in awe of your mad data-entry skills! I'll try tracking stuff like that and, if I'm lucky, I'll make it two whole days in a row!

QengpuBenal, level 4 High Elf Ranger STR5| DEX 2| STA13| CON 6| WIS 19| CHA 6

Battle Log

"I want to live in a world where normal is an insult." - Misha Collins

Hi becca! Welcome to the scouts! Great job so far. I find that when I fall off the wagon it takes getting run over by it to snap out of it :)

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Wow first off nice job on the initial weight loss!! Can't wait to see you kill this challenge! Also your goals made me giggle.. a lot....

I wish I was as much of a mega tracker! I once tracked on MFP for a week and thought I was king of the world....

I do understand you though on the self hate ninja! I self hate to the point of freaking myself out! I just have to remind myself that I'm a pretty awesome, albeit weird, indivdual! Good luck with your challenge!

Level 2 Moon Elf Scout,

(STR)-7, (DEX)-2, (STA)-13, (WIS)-2, (CHA)-3

"The first wealth is health."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anwyls Master Challenge of Fire! My Twitter!

This morning, I woke up thoroughly unmotivated.  Alarm went off at 5:15, hit snooze.  But at 5:30, when the alarm went off again, I got up.  Wandered my apartment a bit.  Tried to justify skipping CrossFit to myself.  I had 10 minutes to get dressed and leave if I wanted to make the WOD on time.  Then 5 minutes.  

I got dressed.  

I went to CrossFit.

High-fives all around.

Level 3 Scout

"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I ate some frozen custard today.  With gummy bears.  And I didn't beat myself up about it.  So there.

Also, still on track.  Did tricep-dips, crossfit, and handstands yesterday.  And ran my mile.  Today was pull-ups, handstand practice, and the first 3 miles of my half-marathon training.  Also my first day running with a hydration pack... which I ended up loving.  I used the one I normally use for cycling, so it's more than a bit bulky... and 3L is probably an excessively large reservoir size.

If I've maintained my streak by Sunday (which I obviously will), I'm thinking I'll gift myself with a hydration pack designed for running.  3 miles in 70 degree heat isn't so bad.  But as I run farther, it's going to get hotter.  And I dehydrate just by looking at the sun through a tinted window.

Hope everyone's kicking as much challenge ass as I am. :)

Level 3 Scout

So... here's why I'm abandoning CrossFit and, therefore, changing Goal 3.

Reason 1: I'm a full-time graduate student who's just picked up not one, not two, but THREE part-time jobs.  For the past year, I've had nothing but time on my hands.  And now I have no time at all.  And waking up at 5 to attend a 6 a.m. class the morning after I closed the store at the mall... that's just torturous.  And stress-inducing.  And exhausting.  And unnecessary.

Reason 2: I'm starting to really enjoy running.  And running is free.  And can be done anywhere at any time.  And the fact that I can work it into my day when it's convenient is REALLY important... see Reason 1.  But also, running is becoming meditative for me... whereas CrossFit has me looking around the room, feeling slow or unaccomplished.  After a run, I feel like a badass.  After a WOD, I feel awkward.

Reason 3: I'd like to explore weightlifting on my own.  There are some lifts I really enjoy (deadlifts, bench presses) that I'd love to get better at... but by practicing them regularly.  WODs are fun because they change all the time... but I'd like to feel like I'm getting good at SOMETHING.  I LOVE kettlebell swings.  Why shouldn't I do them a few times a week?

So basically, I'm ditching CrossFit for now.  Not entirely, because I'm still under a contracted membership for the next month or two, but I'm taking the pressure off to go.  Because something's gotta give here.  The running streak is great, the half-marathon training is great, the pull-ups/dips are great, the handstands are great, the CrossFit is a source of dread.  So adios, CrossFit.

I'll replace that goal with a hydration goal.  Minimum 8 glasses of water (or brewed tea)/day.  Pass/fail grading system.  I'll start grading on Monday.

Level 3 Scout

Week 1 Check-In

Weight: 164.9

Goal 1: Run minimum 1 mile every day.

Grade: 100%

Like a boss.

Goal 2: Handstands, pull-up/tricep-dips work every day.

Grade: 86%

I missed a day.  Oops.

Goal 3: CrossFit Drink water to full hydration.

Official scoring begins today.

Goal 4: Quit stressing the small stuff so much.

Grade: 100%

With company in town, I ate a lot of meals out and didn't mention Paleo or cheating once.  Also, totally had popcorn at last night's movie.

So, good and bad things this past week.  I'm in the middle of a particularly stressful month at school, financially strapped, simultaneously working too much and not getting enough hours, and just all around being miserable.  But I ran every day.  And I only missed my arm work because I got home insanely late that night.

On the other hand, I probably was TOO lenient with my diet.  I used entertaining friends as an excuse to go on a bit of a spree.  But yesterday I got back on track and, no matter what, I'm not going to feel guilt about something that happened in the past.  Tomorrow, I'm adding a new component to my morning run routine: bulletproof coffee.  I'm going to try drinking it on distance days... I've read some great things, but I obviously need to try it for myself.

Level 3 Scout

I keep treading your name as "Beccalypse" as in "Beccalypse Now" as in "I love the smell of napalm Nerdfitness in the morning"

Congrats on a great first week. I especially like the letting go of the "guilt" feelings. I hope the bulletproof coffee works out for you. I'd never heard of it and am pretty sceptical about the efficacy of such expensive, proprietary, magic solutions, to say the least, but I can't knock what I haven't tried so I'll be watching to see your review!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

but I can't knock what I haven't tried

Actually, I can and often do but in this case will allow my better self to prevail!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Agreed on the expensive and proprietary front.  I have the Kerrygold and coconut oil anyway and just bought beans from the hipster joint down the street.  My first cup will be tomorrow morning... I'll report back on the results. :)

Level 3 Scout

So, first thoughts on BulletProof Coffee:

1. It's delicious.  For real.  I normally drink my coffee black, so I wasn't sure how all the added fats would make it taste... added some cinnamon out of skepticism.  It's DELICIOUS.
  2. It was super quick and easy to make.  Like, easier than a smoothie.  Easier to drink than a smoothie, too.
  3. It's DELICIOUS.  SERIOUSLY.

For those of you who may have no idea what I'm talking about, BulletProof coffee is coffee blended with grass-fed (Kerrygold) butter and coconut oil (MCT oil if I keep doing this... and I'll probably keep doing this).  The idea is that it's super high in fats with no carbs, so it'll keep you full and energetic for the majority of your day.  I can honestly say it woke me the hell up, and caffeine typically doesn't effect me this strongly.

SO, I have a huge project due tomorrow.  I'm going to head to the library and work through lunch getting it done.  Then I have a 3 mile run tonight.  This is, like, the perfect storm scenario.  I'll need mental clarity, energy, and endurance... all in one day.  What could possibly go wrong?

Level 3 Scout

Alright, people.  I can say without a shadow of a doubt... Bulletproof Coffee is SO worth it.

I drank it around 7 this morning.  It's now nearing 2.  I haven't been remotely foggy or hungry, I've had great energy levels... it's been awesome.  To be honest, the only reason I'm breaking the fast is because I have to close at the store tonight.  

Seriously, though... give BPC a shot.  I'm definitely a big fan.

Level 3 Scout

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines