Jack O'Lantern: A Challenge of Ice and Fire

Jack O'Lantern: A Challenge of Ice and Fire

Race: Headless Horseman

Class: Scout

Starting Stats: STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 9 | CON 2.75 | WIS 5 | CHA 2.25

stark_sigil.jpg

Run now because, "Winter is Coming":

Goal: Run 100 Miles

Strategy: Run 5 miles 3 days a week. More once in a while.

Starting Point: I can run 5 miles with semi-ease, but never have run that interval so frequent.

Grading:

A:100-100+ miles

B: 85-99 miles

C: 65-84 miles

D: 45-64 miles

F: 0-44 miles

(STA 4)

tyrell_sigil.jpg

Hip flexibility is key to "Growing Strong":

Goal: Practice stretches that will lead me closer to a full lotus 5 times a week.

Strategy: Stretch hips and other relevant muscles 5 times a week.

Starting Point: I can not hold a 1/2 lotus comfortable, and a full lotus would surely injure me.

Grading:

A: 30 sessions

B: 26-29 sessions

C: 21-25 sessions

D: 16-20 sessions

F: 0-15 sessions

(CON 3)

baratheon_sigil.jpg

Running far and fast for "Ours is the Fury":

Goal: Shave 30 seconds off my 1.5 mile run time.

Strategy: Do a 1.5 mile run on week 2,4,6. Seek to do my 5 mile runs at a faster pace than I usually use.

Starting Point: I can run 1.5 miles in 10 minutes 18 seconds.

Grading:

A: Shave 30-30+ seconds

B: Shave 22-29 seconds

C: Shave 14-21 seconds

D: Shave 6-13 seconds

F: Shave 0-5 seconds

(DEX 3)(STA 1)

tagaryen_sigil.jpg

Spin a tale of "Fire and Blood":

Goal: Set up my novel's plans for at least 15 minutes every day.

Strategy: Participate in the "30 days of World Building" guide. After the world is shaped out spend 15 minutes each day ironing out characters and plot.

Starting Point: I have only an extremely vague idea of what I want to write, and have never written a novel before. I do write lots of poetry though.

Grading:

A: 42/42 sessions

B: 37-41 sessions

C: 32-36 sessions

D: 27-31 sessions

F: 0-26 sessions

(WIS 2)(CHA 2)

Jack O'Lantern, Level 2 Headless Horseman ScoutSTR 5|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 2.75|WIS 5|CHA 2.25

"Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."

I love your goals! Also, would you be willing to share your hip flexibility exercises? My chiropractor says I've got some issues developing there, and I'm hoping hip exercises might stave those off!

QengpuBenal, level 4 High Elf Ranger STR5| DEX 2| STA13| CON 6| WIS 19| CHA 6

Battle Log

"I want to live in a world where normal is an insult." - Misha Collins

This is all the awesome.

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Fantastic Jack:

This Challenge is great.  I have now met someone who is as big a fan of ASOIAF as I am!  I invite you to join us over at the Tower of the Hand, the greatest community for GRRM fans there is.  Get on and participate in the group re reads of the books, and the reviews of the shows.

as far as your challenge goes, GET AFTER IT!!!  the Running goal is absolutely doable!!!!  I will be with you in the running portion, trying to reduce my 5k time by a minute and a half.  WE WILL GET THERE!!!!

Keep up the fantastic work bud.  And, as I tell all my Ice and Fire friends,

"If R+L=J is wrong, I don't want to be right!!!"

Rock ON!!!!

- shaffnut

Epic challenge theme!, Best of luck!

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Yay noveling! I wrote one a few years ago that's been sitting on my laptop collecting virtual-dust for some time now. One of the things to remember: Being a perfectionist will often only make you write less, not necessarily better. Go crazy, let your ideas flow, and go fix grammar, spelling, plot holes, and inconsistencies later.

I love your challenge so much - I actually squealed I thought it was so cool.

Great to see a few authors around here! Best of luck with your epic challenge

wonderful way to set up your challenge

This is all the awesome.

Epic challenge theme!, Best of luck!

This challenge is full of win. You my friend are a genius among men!!

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind and encouraging words! Looking forward to rocking this challenge with you all!

=]

Yay noveling! I wrote one a few years ago that's been sitting on my laptop collecting virtual-dust for some time now. One of the things to remember: Being a perfectionist will often only make you write less, not necessarily better. Go crazy, let your ideas flow, and go fix grammar, spelling, plot holes, and inconsistencies later.

Thanks for the advice, and noted. I tend to be one who faces "paralysis by analysis."

Fantastic Jack:

This Challenge is great.  I have now met someone who is as big a fan of ASOIAF as I am!  I invite you to join us over at the Tower of the Hand, the greatest community for GRRM fans there is.  Get on and participate in the group re reads of the books, and the reviews of the shows.

as far as your challenge goes, GET AFTER IT!!!  the Running goal is absolutely doable!!!!  I will be with you in the running portion, trying to reduce my 5k time by a minute and a half.  WE WILL GET THERE!!!!

Keep up the fantastic work bud.  And, as I tell all my Ice and Fire friends,

"If R+L=J is wrong, I don't want to be right!!!"

Rock ON!!!!

- shaffnut

Thanks for the excitement shaff! John and Dany together on the Iron Throne at the end, it better happen. I'll have to check out that site. And glad to see a similar goal, let's do this.

I love your goals! Also, would you be willing to share your hip flexibility exercises? My chiropractor says I've got some issues developing there, and I'm hoping hip exercises might stave those off!

Thanks, and totally, I'd love to help. This is roughly the routine my Yogi friend prescribed to me.

Circles with leg: Same side hand grabbing outside of same side foot and doing wide circles in slow motion.

Knee to armpit: Opposite side hand to opposite side inside foot. Extend leg across body, then pull back into armpit.

Rock the baby: Cradle knee into elbow and rock it.

Butterfly stretch: Feet together while sitting, elbows pushing knees down.

1/2 lotus: Holding a 1/2 lotus (one leg crossed over other) make deep circles with upper body.

Knees side to side: Feet planted, rock knees side to side landing in a sort of triangle shape. This position can be bent around in.

Pigeon: One knee bent flat to the ground in front of body, other leg back straight, leaning forward.

I understand a block of text might be hard to follow, and I'm no Yogi. After I iron out the progression, I can try and take some pictures of the various stretches.

Jack O'Lantern, Level 2 Headless Horseman ScoutSTR 5|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 2.75|WIS 5|CHA 2.25

No really ... sounds great, I just don't understand a word. But don't mind me, I'm old. Good luck jack with your tracking and scoring system. Ok, I get some of it. Running 100 miles, cool, that I understand. And hip flexibility - good for everyone. And running faster over 1.5 miles, again v. cool. I could work to a goal like that. But the 100 miles - I'll watch that. Work hard.

Not a bad start - can't wait to see how you get on in the next 5 weeks!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Weekly update:

I completed 13/14 required novel sessions

10/10 stretching sessions

Ran 31 miles so far.

Did some speed work only to find I'm getting slower on my 1.5 mile! Any tips for improving speed would be appreciated!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines