BWReads' first challenge

bwreads

First challenge! I'm really excited. I'm also a teeny bit lost on how to put points to each goal. Also how to break them up week by week. 

Goal #1 - 3 miles in 30 minutes

I've been jogging six days a week for the last 4 weeks, and I've gone from one mile to 2.6 miles. My jog this morning took me 30 minutes. But not sure how to break that up into weekly intervals.

Goal #2 - Yoga every day, strength training on Sundays and Thursdays.

I've started this already, but haven't managed total consistency.

Goal #3 - Spend 5 min a day focusing/meditating on this:

I trust myself.

The Universe supports me.

I create my own reality.

Every day I move closer to my goals.

I know how to get what I want.

I am safe.

Goal #4 - I want to write the rough draft of the novel I'm outlining right now.

I do National Novel Writing Month every November, so I don't think this is outrageously difficult. I just need some accountability like I have in November. The first week will be finishing my outline and character development, and then after that I need to write 2,000 words a day. Or so. Around 16,000 words a week. 

So those are my goals. Mostly they're sort of pass or fail, except for the jogging. Unless anyone has any input on how I could divide them up?

I'm working on finishing a first draft as well! If you want, we can be accountability partners for that! I managed to get 50,000 words written last November, but I've stalled out since then. It's not one of my challenge goals this time, but I'm still going to working on it, so having a partner to be accountable to would be super helpful! I've got school stuff as well, but I'd like to get at least 1,000 words a day done.

QengpuBenal, level 4 High Elf Ranger STR5| DEX 2| STA13| CON 6| WIS 19| CHA 6

Battle Log

"I want to live in a world where normal is an insult." - Misha Collins

I'm working on finishing a first draft as well! If you want, we can be accountability partners for that! I managed to get 50,000 words written last November, but I've stalled out since then. It's not one of my challenge goals this time, but I'm still going to working on it, so having a partner to be accountable to would be super helpful! I've got school stuff as well, but I'd like to get at least 1,000 words a day done.

That would be great! 

So those are my goals. Mostly they're sort of pass or fail, except for the jogging. Unless anyone has any input on how I could divide them up?

Some ideas for chopping your goals into weekly progress and meeting part of your goals.

For the running you might want to commit to a training schedule which will help you reach your goals, also you will be able to see you make progress from week to week.

For the yoga and strength training i assume you have your routine figured out. You can give yourself some slack by grading yourself on how often you do this. If you use pass or fail and miss a training in the first week you'll never be able to meet the goal which will be bad for motivation.

The same applies to the other two goals, have you really failed if you only write 15.000 words per week?

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

welcome to the scouts BW! Ive always admired you NaNoWriMo peeps!

I agree that breaking your goals into weekly chew-able pieces will help you out. 6 weeks can be a lot, but broken down into 6 parts can make things feel more manageable.

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Also what is National Novel Writing Month??

National Novel Writing Month is where you write 1667 words a day every day in November and by the end of the month you have a 50,000 word rough draft. It's great fun! You can find more info at nanowrimo.org.

I am modifying my first goal! I was able to jog 3 miles this morning in 32 minutes, so I don't think it's measurable or tough enough.

NEW Goal #1: Jog for 30 minutes every day.

The rest is good, I think. And I'll give myself 4 points per week per goal, taking off 1 pt/day/goal missed, except for the writing. I'll only take off half a point as long as I've written some. 1 point if I do nothing. But if I make my weekly goal on the writing, even if I don't make the daily goal, I'll give myself a bonus point at the end of the week.

Does that sound good?

Day 1 Jogging and Yoga complete! I had such a hard time getting myself out the door this morning. If it weren't for this challenge I might have given up the jogging forever. But I got out there, however reluctantly, and then as soon as I got started I was a running goddess and everything in the universe was in my power. I went 3.14 miles in 34 minutes. And part of the reason I'm so slow is that I live almost at the bottom of a giant hill and close to half my run is up very steep hills. A bit of it is up not very steep hills, and then a bunch is down, too, so that helps. 

So, what's left is the meditation and the writing, which I am saving to do together this afternoon once I finish with the grocery shopping and other errands. My writing today is going to be an actual word document outline instead of all the scribbly pages I've been working on, as well as character sketches for five main characters. 

Bwreads, welcome and great goals! I think you've got the idea of breaking them up (you don't HAVE to but it does often help).

With the points, it's a bit like roleplaying and completely optional. I'll find the explanation and post it, I think it's up the top under challenge rules of you're on a computer, I'm on my phone at the moment.

Therealleia, welcome also! With the challenge, pick up to the fitness or diet goals, and a life goal (can be anything at all you want to accomplish in the next six weeks) and start your item thread to write them down, then post how your are doing regularly and do ask for help if you need!

Good luck!

This morning I had a great run: 3.2 miles in 35 minutes! Which is basically 3 11 minute miles. At the end, I felt great (although definitely not like doing more).

It seems like no matter how many times I do the yoga stretches my body is not memorizing the pattern and I keep having to look at charts to get through the routine. I enjoy it, though, and I think I'm going to get a mirror to make sure I'm doing it right. I wish I could take a class...

Meditation - this part is easy. I've been stopping and going through my mantra at other times of the day, too, and I think it is lessening my anxiety.

Writing - My outline is amazing and my characters are developing like they think they are real people who can just tell me who they are and boss my around! But I'm controlling them with my outline, which is filling out nicely. 

Awesome job so far BWR!!! Also I'm definitely gonna need to check out NaNoWriMo this year!! I've been looking for a reason to get back into it!!!

Keep up the great work ^_^

Thanks! NaNo is a big part of my life every year, and I highly recommend it to everybody.

Did my jog, my yoga, meditation, and strength training. Worked on my outline.

I just have a couple of characters to fill in and some backstory to figure out, and I'll be ready to write the last section of the outline. Plan is still to start writing on Sunday! Can't wait!

I'm also in the position of not being able to attend a class but have wanted to do yoga. Where did you get your plan / charts from?

I am using the book Get Fit for Free Home Workouts Yoga and Pilates. There's a strength training one, too, and they have the pages split with the workout on the bottom strip with the page numbers and then you turn the top part to see the poses and exercises and read about them. They are my favorite workout books. Except for You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren. I always just get that one from the library, though.

Finished Week One! 

Goal 1 - Ran at least 30 minutes six days for a total of 18.58 miles and 3:22:52 = 4 pts

Goal 2 - Yoga every day, strength training on Sunday and Thursday = 4 pts

Goal 3 - Meditate 5 min a day = 4 pts

Goal 4 - Finished my outline and my world building; READY TO WRITE THE NOVEL!!! 4 pts

Sounds like a great first week!

I looked into NaNoWriMo last year, then totally chickened out.  I do need to get more disciplined about my writing, though.  Good luck with yours!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Sounds like a great first week!

I looked into NaNoWriMo last year, then totally chickened out.  I do need to get more disciplined about my writing, though.  Good luck with yours!

Thanks, PB!

Wow, what a great Level Up Your Life goal! I think if I could choose to be anything it would be a writer.

and SG, the best way to be a writer is to just start writing! It helps to take classes and study literature and all that, but writing every day is the skeleton key. Journals rock! And so does NaNoWriMo! 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines