Agent Katia's First Challenge...NYET! Mission

It took me an hour but that's cause it's 5 miles uphill (1,249 feet elevation gain). I live in an area where everything is uphill.

That's AWESOME! Great ride :D

Ohhhkay. So, I've got a minor setback that I think/hope won't be a problem for long: I strained a muscle last night. SO. That means no pushups or pull-ups for at least a couple days. I'm hoping that I'm feeling back up to snuff Sunday and will be back at the gym Monday (took today off for pure recovery, as it was literally a struggle to get out of bed... BUT ON TIME!).

Thursday, June 6th

PUSHUPS:   4 solid pushups; 7 without pause (DID IT!); 37 total. Why such a weird number you ask? 

Number 37 is when I felt a weird pull in my left shoulder and stopped. 

PULL-UP:     2 negative pull-ups; 35 second hang and 10 second hang, extended  

I cut the second hang time short because I went for negative pull-up 3, and I think I prepped myself for the strain. 

SNOOZE:      No snooze! 

Friday, June 7th

PUSHUPS:   Nada :(

PULL-UP:     Nope, not these either :(

SNOOZE:      No snooze! 5/5

Looking at an anatomy chart, I think I strained my levator scapulae (which has given me some trouble in the past... damn you bad posture! Future goal). Since it hurt to move around last night, I slept super stiff and felt worse in the morning. I iced my shoulder last night, and this morning I've got one of those sticky insta-heating pads on there, as well as some ibuprofen in my system. The heat and drugs are loosening things up, so yay! But I'm definitely taking it easy and caring for myself. No long-term injury for me, thanks!

I know a good sports massage therapist, so I'm gonna have her look at it tonight. I think I probably just need to rest and then stretch it, though. (Oh, and then strengthen all the muscles it's been compensating for...)

In good news, Happy Weekend everyone! What do you have planned? I'm going on a hike with a friend Sunday before an afternoon party on the coast. Can't wait!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

I know this is horrible but I'm totally imagining you being a Street Fighter-esque lady with bandages in various places from your epic battles. So Batman. Take care of yourself!

So you pretty much killed the snooze goal this week. Go go willpower!

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with Some Druid and Monk capabilities

Current Stats: (STR) 1 || (DEX) 1 || (STA) 1 || (CON) 2 || (WIS) 4 || (CHA) 6

Yeah, what Odin said. You ARE succeeding! Resting when you need to is part of working out smartly. You got this. 

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with Some Druid and Monk capabilities

Batman trained his way back out of a broken back... you can handle a shoulder.  :)  Do some body weight squats in the meantime!

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 7.5 | CON 9 | WIS 7.5| CHA 5.5

Challenges: 1 | Current | Battle Log
"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

Remember that Batman got injured in the latest movie, then rested and trained again and got out of that prison. Channel the Batman and you will succeed!

^beat me to it haha. Also what Arkham said!

Sucks that you got injured, especially this early. Don't push yourself on that shoulder at all, take it easy and take patch's advice on the replacement exercises. Maybe the squats could replace your push-ups goal wise until you're healed so you don't fall behind just because of an injury?

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

^beat me to it haha. Also what Arkham said!

Sucks that you got injured, especially this early. Don't push yourself on that shoulder at all, take it easy and take patch's advice on the replacement exercises. Maybe the squats could replace your push-ups goal wise until you're healed so you don't fall behind just because of an injury?

Great idea! I'm going to take it easy on my shoulder over the weekend and see how I feel Monday. It's already feeling looser, so that's good. Taking it slow though!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

That's AWESOME! Great ride :D

Ohhhkay. So, I've got a minor setback that I think/hope won't be a problem for long: I strained a muscle last night. SO. That means no pushups or pull-ups for at least a couple days. I'm hoping that I'm feeling back up to snuff Sunday and will be back at the gym Monday (took today off for pure recovery, as it was literally a struggle to get out of bed... BUT ON TIME!).

Thursday, June 6th

PUSHUPS:   4 solid pushups; 7 without pause (DID IT!); 37 total. Why such a weird number you ask? 

Number 37 is when I felt a weird pull in my left shoulder and stopped. 

PULL-UP:     2 negative pull-ups; 35 second hang and 10 second hang, extended  

I cut the second hang time short because I went for negative pull-up 3, and I think I prepped myself for the strain. 

Thursday, June 6th

PUSHUPS:   Nada :(

PULL-UP:     Nope, not these either :(

SNOOZE:      No snooze! 5/5

Looking at an anatomy chart, I think I strained my levator scapulae (which has given me some trouble in the past... damn you bad posture! Future goal). Since it hurt to move around last night, I slept super stiff and felt worse in the morning. I iced my shoulder last night, and this morning I've got one of those sticky insta-heating pads on there, as well as some ibuprofen in my system. The heat and drugs are loosening things up, so yay! But I'm definitely taking it easy and caring for myself. No long-term injury for me, thanks!

I know a good sports massage therapist, so I'm gonna have her look at it tonight. I think I probably just need to rest and then stretch it, though. (Oh, and then strengthen all the muscles it's been compensating for...)

In good news, Happy Weekend everyone! What do you have planned? I'm going on a hike with a friend Sunday before an afternoon party on the coast. Can't wait!

Oh no! I hope it heals fast enough! But you have to watch what you do! How was your hike??? 

Level 2 Human Adventurer

STR 3.5 | DEX 2 | STA 6 | CON 3 | WIS 7 | CHA 3.5| <--no clue what this means..click here and here explaining how to level up.

The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best. -Epictetus

My 2nd 6 week challenge

My first 6 week challenge

Accountabilibuddies: The Mighty Adventuring Companions

Hi everyone! So sorry I was MIA this weekend. It turned out to be much busier than expected (and also fun, so that's good!). 

My shoulder/neck is steadily improving, which is WONDERFUL. I took Saturday as a second total rest day (I was still trying to figure out what my body was doing), and decided to take Silas up on his challenge today and do some squats instead. I was curious how many bodyweight squats I could do with good form in a row, and I was really stoked with the results! I also decided to see how long I could hold a plank before my shaky arms unnerved me (it doesn't use the overtaxed muscles). So I think I'll continue those two as my alt exercises until I'm confidently healed. I don't have a measurable goal for them though.

Suggestions anyone?

Saturday, June 8th

Sunday, June 9th

PLANK:         60 second hold

SQUATS:      100 bodyweight!

SNOOZE:      No snooze! 7/7

Also, I decided that I need to revamp my third health and fitness goal. I will still be working toward a 3% lower body fat percentage by the end of the challenge, but I'd rather put very actionable goals in place. I've not been so great at holding myself accountable for the ideas I had for my eating habits (that would, in theory, lead me to the 3% reduced body fat). But again, I could use the help of the FOTB and other friends here. 

One thing I wanted to do is reduce my non-work lunch meals to no more than 3 restaurant meals a week, including weekends. (I buy healthy and filling green salads for lunch most days during the week, and I'm fine with that.) So that, or a variation could be part, but I think a big one for me should be to limit my sugar and refined carbohydrate consumption. I'm really good (No, I don't need bread with my salad, thanks! No thanks, no donut for me today, I just ate my breakfast!), until I am so, so irresponsible. I know quite a few of you have kicked the sugar habit, so I'd love some thoughts on how to start? 

Other suggestions are welcome!

(Also, I was thinking since I'm revamping one of my goals, maybe I should automatically drop a letter grade? I think that's fair.)

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Oh! I didn't tell you about my hike. (Sorry.)

My hike was reconfigured into a long stroll around a really cute seaside town, followed by another stroll along the beach. So, not as much activity as I expected, but really wonderful and fulfilling nonetheless.

Onward to WEEK TWO!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Hmm, what if you build the reduced sugar/carb goal into the 3% lower body fat goal?  I do not think you should necessarily lose a full grade on Goal 3 in the first week as we are all figuring out what is and is not working, what we could do better, etc.  It is not like you are making the challenge easier for you! And the change will still help you towards a lower body fat % right?

I say moving forward, you grade each week by the new actionable goals (no more than 3 meals out per week and only X amount of sugar/carbs) - and if you get A's for the next five weeks and reduce body fat by 3%, then that is an overall A in my book! 

Ian Fin 8 - Lvl 1 Slow Mutant Rebel

Current Challenge - Attempting the Dark Tower: Part 1
Accountabilibuddies - Browncoats

"I'm an important person you see. I have a tower."  Valentine - "MirrorMask"

I agree with Odin on the grading. Changes were inevitable this first week, you still rocked it with an injury so don't be too hard on yourself.

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

I'm just impressed that you injured your arm so you busted out 100 squats for fun on your rest day?! Major slow clap for that, and I'm happy you're rearranging your goals to make them SMARTer. I don't think you should give yourself any sort of penalty for that, it's a good thing!

"I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul" -WEH

• Current Challenge: The 6 Labors
  • Level 5 Amazon Assassin

I agree with everyone else, don't be harsh on yourself! You did amazingly well last week and you deserve the highest grade. 

What I started doing with carbs and sugar, and this might not be for you, but I just pretended to be a prissy bitch about it. Wanna go get a bagel with cinnamon sugar cream cheese? "Oh no thanks, I don't really eat stuff like that. I'll come with, though!" Cookies being passed around class/meeting/circle of friends in living room? Pass the plate without taking anything and then casually flip your hair back. 

And know that it is hard. You will still eat those carbs sometimes, you will still eat the sugary deliciousness that is pure evil underneath. But just keep reminding yourself that you are going to keep saying no to it, even if you aren't right that second. It's one of those things where you have to keep trudging along no matter how many times you get stuck in the mud. Eventually, you'll come out the other side and it will be WAY easier. I promise. 

P.S. I totally support planks as an alt exercise. Do some extended and standard ones!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines