Agent Katia's First Challenge...NYET! Mission

Hi everyone! So sorry I was MIA this weekend. It turned out to be much busier than expected (and also fun, so that's good!). 

My shoulder/neck is steadily improving, which is WONDERFUL. I took Saturday as a second total rest day (I was still trying to figure out what my body was doing), and decided to take Silas up on his challenge today and do some squats instead. I was curious how many bodyweight squats I could do with good form in a row, and I was really stoked with the results! I also decided to see how long I could hold a plank before my shaky arms unnerved me (it doesn't use the overtaxed muscles). So I think I'll continue those two as my alt exercises until I'm confidently healed. I don't have a measurable goal for them though.

Suggestions anyone?

Saturday, June 8th

SNOOZE:      No snooze! 

Sunday, June 9th

PLANK:         60 second hold

SQUATS:      100 bodyweight!

SNOOZE:      No snooze! 7/7

Also, I decided that I need to revamp my third health and fitness goal. I will still be working toward a 3% lower body fat percentage by the end of the challenge, but I'd rather put very actionable goals in place. I've not been so great at holding myself accountable for the ideas I had for my eating habits (that would, in theory, lead me to the 3% reduced body fat). But again, I could use the help of the FOTB and other friends here. 

One thing I wanted to do is reduce my non-work lunch meals to no more than 3 restaurant meals a week, including weekends. (I buy healthy and filling green salads for lunch most days during the week, and I'm fine with that.) So that, or a variation could be part, but I think a big one for me should be to limit my sugar and refined carbohydrate consumption. I'm really good (No, I don't need bread with my salad, thanks! No thanks, no donut for me today, I just ate my breakfast!), until I am so, so irresponsible. I know quite a few of you have kicked the sugar habit, so I'd love some thoughts on how to start? 

Other suggestions are welcome!

(Also, I was thinking since I'm revamping one of my goals, maybe I should automatically drop a letter grade? I think that's fair.)

Holy avocado! 100 squats and a 60second plank! and injured! You are seriously hardcore but don't be too hardcore! As for beating the sugar habit what I use to do is wear this rubber band on my wrist. Everytime I craved sugar I would snap myself and switch it to the other wrist. I also had at least a bag of vegetables like baby carrots, cut up cucumbers or bean sprouts. My sugar cravings are there but that is usually when I have my monthly visitor. Glad you enjoyed your hike! 

Level 2 Human Adventurer

STR 3.5 | DEX 2 | STA 6 | CON 3 | WIS 7 | CHA 3.5| <--no clue what this means..click here and here explaining how to level up.

The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best. -Epictetus

My 2nd 6 week challenge

My first 6 week challenge

Accountabilibuddies: The Mighty Adventuring Companions

I'm just impressed that you injured your arm so you busted out 100 squats for fun on your rest day?! Major slow clap for that, and I'm happy you're rearranging your goals to make them SMARTer. I don't think you should give yourself any sort of penalty for that, it's a good thing!

Thirded.

Also, no snooze blows my mind. I can't even.

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for the input! And for the awesome support. You are totally validating and making me feel like I did stuff last week and it was worth it, which is AWESOME and super motivating. The motivating part is important because yesterday got away from me, as did this morning (COMEON WEEK TWO!) BUT I did still get up without snoozing! Yay! I'm going to update tonight with squats, plank, and SUGAR (and food). 

Arkham, I was thinking the same thing of making it a refined cabs slash sugar thing! Great thought. That is actually my weakness. I don't usually go compulsive over a chocolate bar, so I think I'm going to start with baked goods.

phutomaki, the rubber band idea is clever. I'll see where my revamped goals take me and consider it in the future.

Also, I think I'm going to do as Odin suggests and keep my original goal in place (3% bodyfat reduction) but in order to keep me on track, I'll list some nuances I need to adhere to in order to (hopefully) succeed with that. I think I'll keep the grading scale the same, though, and just use the list below to hold myself accountable with you guys (and me, but it's with you guys that keeps me motivated!!!). I'll update my OP later (after feedback).

• Eat no more than 3 restaurant meals per week (excluding green salads for work lunches)
  • Eliminate deep fried foods from all but one meal per week (including chips, etc.)
  • Consume alcohol no more than 3 days per week (I don't have a problem with the amount I drink in a day, it's more that if I don't think about it, I'll have beer or wine with dinner every night, which sometimes becomes two beers or two glases of wine... lots of liquid calories there...)
  • (The biggie for me) Completely eliminate store-bought or prepackaged baked goods; restrict homemade or restaurant stuff to 3 single (actual) servings per week (limit: 1 per day).  

Arkham, I think that the "I don't eat that" approach will work perfectly for the store-bought baked stuff. I'm not eliminating homemade stuff because in my small office work culture, very occasionally people bring in fairly gourmet homemade stuff, and it's sort of a cultural thing... we talk about it, etc. So I'm not ready to disassociate myself from that. Also, when I go to the restaurants, I want the option to order dessert (or a waffle at brunch), if I haven't used up my sugary carbs :)

Finally, I am looking forward to catching up with everyone tonight! I spent too much time this morning solidifying my goals, but I'll definitely be reading your updates and  conversations from yesterday and today this evening. 

Monday, June 10th

SNOOZE:      No snooze! 8/8

Tuesday, June 11th

SNOOZE:      No snooze! 9/9

*SQUATS:     140 consecutive

*PULL-UP:    30 second bar hang (extended)

Not snoozing today = HARDEST YET. I almost convinced myself that setting a timer to go off in 15 minutes was not considered snoozing. I am SO GOOD at trying to trick myself. Then I thought of you guys and what the FOTB would think.

I made tea and wrote this instead. 

* Updated 

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

What I started doing with carbs and sugar, and this might not be for you, but I just pretended to be a prissy bitch about it. Wanna go get a bagel with cinnamon sugar cream cheese? "Oh no thanks, I don't really eat stuff like that. I'll come with, though!" Cookies being passed around class/meeting/circle of friends in living room? Pass the plate without taking anything and then casually flip your hair back.

This is the best. idea. ever. I'm totally gonna be a snob about it!!! And then laugh! mauh ah ah ah !

Leksifer

Level 1 Human Adventurer

(Ranger/Warrior/Druid-in training)

First 6-week challenge: I want to jiggle less.

Not snoozing today = HARDEST YET. I almost convinced myself that setting a timer to go off in 15 minutes was not considered snoozing. I am SO GOOD at trying to trick myself. Then I thought of you guys and what the FOTB would think.

I kinda wrote about the amazing power of this group's motivation influence in my post. As my first challenge on NerdFitness (and first of its kind, ever), I'm blown away at the power of the FotB!

Leksifer

Level 1 Human Adventurer

(Ranger/Warrior/Druid-in training)

First 6-week challenge: I want to jiggle less.

SNOOZE:      No snooze! 9/9

I completely can trick myself EVERY SINGLE TIME too.**  Except it's hardly ever for good stuff.  Go you on the no snoozing.  That is beyond batman as far as I'm concerned.

**example:  15 minutes isn't snoozing...it's actually a nap.  Or just extending my sleep, and I neeeeeeed it.   

Level 4 Twi'lek Adventurer

STR: 3 | DEX: 4 | STA: 7 | CON: 10 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 5.5

Current Challenge

Do not betray your fellow bats.  FOTB!

Woo Vort-the-Unsnoozed! Sleeping/ napping 15 minutes after you've been awoken is snoozing, that's like the definition of snoozing so I'm glad you resisted! FotB!

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

Ditto on the 15min...usually if it feels like cheating...it is cheating :)

I would say if you felt like you need extra sleep, try setting it a little later or go to bed a little earlier if possible.  Got to make sure you get enough sleep!

Ian Fin 8 - Lvl 1 Slow Mutant Rebel

Current Challenge - Attempting the Dark Tower: Part 1
Accountabilibuddies - Browncoats

"I'm an important person you see. I have a tower."  Valentine - "MirrorMask"

I'm just impressed that you injured your arm so you busted out 100 squats for fun on your rest day?! Major slow clap for that, and I'm happy you're rearranging your goals to make them SMARTer. I don't think you should give yourself any sort of penalty for that, it's a good thing!

Ha! Thanks for the slow clap DFTBAmanda :) and for the input!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Ditto on the 15min...usually if it feels like cheating...it is cheating :)

I would say if you felt like you need extra sleep, try setting it a little later or go to bed a little earlier if possible.  Got to make sure you get enough sleep!

Ha! I'm glad you agree ;)

Yeah, it was one of those inevitable late nights (wasn't home until midnight). But tonight will be better!

Gonna sleep on my revamped goal #3 and make it official tomorrow (but I've been working on it thus far this week anyway! Just in case!). 

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

You know, ever since I changed my alarm clock to that video's soundtrack, I haven't slept in once.  Maybe the fact that it's a human voice is what wakes me up.  I'm also getting more sleep -- aiming for 6 hours a night, and I think it's making an improvement.

I'll keep no-snoozing if you do.  :)  Course, I'm getting up at 4.45am -- even god's not awake then; that's why it's called an ungodly hour.

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 7.5 | CON 9 | WIS 7.5| CHA 5.5

Challenges: 1 | Current | Battle Log
"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

I'm glad to hear you're changing a fat loss goal into a behavior goal. That is way more in a person's control.

Thanks Mags! I think so too. (Also, to clarify, I recently gained quite a bit of weight in an unhealthy amount of time, so my goal to reduce my fat % is related to that, not an ideal.)

You know, ever since I changed my alarm clock to that video's soundtrack, I haven't slept in once.  Maybe the fact that it's a human voice is what wakes me up.  I'm also getting more sleep -- aiming for 6 hours a night, and I think it's making an improvement.

I'll keep no-snoozing if you do.   :)  Course, I'm getting up at 4.45am -- even god's not awake then; that's why it's called an ungodly hour.

AWESOME! When I don't want to do my cardio the dramatic "Welcome to the grind" voice pops in my head. It's so great. 

I'm really impressed you are getting up at 4:45 (and I'm also glad you're getting more sleep!). I get up at 6, and I'm DOING it (still no snooze! Update later), but man. I'm not even sure if I could do 5:45!

And you're on. NO SNOOZE FTW. 

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

I have a secret -- I don't set the alarm if I don't have to be up at a specific time.  Those days I get to sleep in as much as I want (and my kids allow).

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

That's fair. For this challenge, I'm going for 7 days, but after, I don't think I will :) Also, I haven't been able to sleep in on the weekend yet this challenge, but if I can, I'm planning on setting my alarm for 11 or noon... that way I can have a much easier time getting up without snoozing. Last week was 6 everyday but Sunday (which was 7). We'll see what this weekend is like!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

I've been doing 7 days for my sleep challenge as well.  I figured it would be easier that way.

Yeah, I think one of the biggest things for me is consistency! 

Okay, so apparently I'm updating every other day... But I'm updating, AND keeping up with my challenges (though not the mini-challenge this week, sadly). I've been progressively working back up to my pushup and pull-up efforts, and I'm glad to say my shoulder now feels HAPPY to do those actions. So I'm going to (slowly) go for full military style pushups tomorrow. 

Wednesday, June 12th

SQUATS:     50 consecutive (I think I wore myself out the day before! Plus it was my first day back at the gym in a week.)

PULL-UP:    35 second bar hang (extended)

SNOOZE:      No snooze! 10/10

Thursday, June 13th

PLANK/PUSHUPS:    70 second plank (extended); 10 good, consecutive kneeling pushups

PULL-UP:                      40 second bar hang (extended)

SNOOZE:                       No snooze! 11/11

Food/Drink Tally (for the week thus far)

RESTAURANT MEALS:   1 meal / 3 week

FRIED FOODS:   1 / 1 (I can see this being a problem with my weekend plans...)

ALCOHOL:   2 / 3

DESSERTS:   1 / 3*

*I am going to be completely honest. I had a binge on Monday that triggered the goal specifications. So I'm counting this AFTER opting to revise my goals (so starting Monday evening).

This weekend is going to be tough for food (dinner plans with friends Friday night, taking FIL out for an early Father's Day celebration dinner Saturday night), but I've really been trying to think about it during the week (I'll have beer or a cocktail with friends instead of wine with my FIL, for example). Wish me luck!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

I dig the revised Goal #3.  I think you can be ok with the fried foods...if eating out (depending on the restaurant, they should have a grilled option say for fish or chicken.

Good job on the other goals as well!  I know you had that 15min thing earlier, but besides that is the no snooze thing getting easier?

Cool to see the shoulder being back in a happy mood! 

Ian Fin 8 - Lvl 1 Slow Mutant Rebel

Current Challenge - Attempting the Dark Tower: Part 1
Accountabilibuddies - Browncoats

"I'm an important person you see. I have a tower."  Valentine - "MirrorMask"

You are just murderizing the snooze goal! I'm way impressed by the amount of exercise you're doing, too, especially after an injury.

I'm coming from a place where I have no idea where my best weight is. If you've been at a bf% at which you felt better, getting back to that is a worthy goal. Looking back on my own experience, I hate to see people afraid of what a scale says (not that I'm saying you are). You know what I mean? There are so many more appropriate ways to measure worth. I just feel that focusing on behaviors is more healthy.

Level 2 Dwarf Adventurer (Dreaming of Warrior/Assasin)

| STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 7 | CHA 4.5 |

My IntroChallenge 1 | Challenge 2 (current)

You go, girl!  Best advice for the weekend... think ahead and formulate a plan.  You don't have to stick to it, but it will influence your unconscious decisions if you have one already.

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

I dig the revised Goal #3.  I think you can be ok with the fried foods...if eating out (depending on the restaurant, they should have a grilled option say for fish or chicken.

Good job on the other goals as well!  I know you had that 15min thing earlier, but besides that is the no snooze thing getting easier?

Cool to see the shoulder being back in a happy mood! 

Thanks Odin! Yeah, in the past I've been really good about avoiding the fried option, but lately I feel like restaurants I've been going to sneak fried things into otherwise unfried foods (grilled fish topped with crispy shallots, for example... crispy is the foodie word for fried... also for delicious ;)), but I'd rather just clearly choose to have fish and chips, or tempura, or fried chicken or something. It just takes a little more conscious attention, but it's not impossible!

The no snooze IS getting easier. A couple days this week, I woke up like an hour or so early in a bit of a panic thinking I'd slept through my alarm, so that's an improvement! Other than the panic thing ;) I'm sure that will even out over time. 

I'm still stretching my shoulder, but everything felt pretty good at the gym this week! I'm going to build my total daily pushups back up over the course of the next week or two (I've been giving myself a mini-pass on this) and start incorporating contracted holds back into my pull-up practice. We'll see what this next week brings!

You are just murderizing the snooze goal! I'm way impressed by the amount of exercise you're doing, too, especially after an injury.

I'm coming from a place where I have no idea where my best weight is. If you've been at a bf% at which you felt better, getting back to that is a worthy goal. Looking back on my own experience, I hate to see people afraid of what a scale says (not that I'm saying you are). You know what I mean? There are so many more appropriate ways to measure worth. I just feel that focusing on behaviors is more healthy.

Thanks! I was pretty active (going to the gym and yoga or pilates) before pulling that muscle, so thanks to the FOTB and other friends here, I was really motivated to keep that up while paying attention to how my body was feeling and adapting as necessary. Honestly, without all of the support here, I probably would have just wallowed in self-pity for a week and disregarded my snooze goal as well as my fitness goals. SO, THANKS! 

I understand where you are coming from regarding body weight Mags. I've generally been good about not fixating on the number on the scale (don't even own one! But I do weigh myself at the gym every 1–2 weeks) or tying my sense of self or worth into my weight. I feel really fortunate in that regard, and it certainly is a more recent development in my life timeline.

And I COMPLETELY agree that focusing on behaviors is not only more healthy, but more measurable, attainable, and even scalable. I guess I should have started out practicing what I preach here, because honestly we're on the same page. 

I haven't ever tracked my body fat % before, so this is new, but that's much more interesting to me than the number on the scale. Since I build muscle pretty fast, I am more intrigued by the changes in my body composition as I continue to exercise (I was already exercising regularly at the beginning of this challenge) and eat more healthfully. Since this was new, I did research to find a percentage of body fat loss that was healthy, reasonable, and attainable in 6 weeks, and then I reduced it further to make it even more attainable and less of my primary focus. 

What I realized after the first week, though, was exactly what you are saying. By not explicitly sharing my goals for actions to MAKE that fat % goal happen, I wasn't sticking with them, and that was the more important thing of the two. After adjusting my goals (manifesto?) this week, though, I've felt really good about keeping up these specific choices, and I will be super interested to see the end result of these behavioral changes (in an experimental kinda way) in 4 weeks now. 

Thanks so much for bringing this up. It's actually a topic very close to my heart :)

You go, girl!  Best advice for the weekend... think ahead and formulate a plan.  You don't have to stick to it, but it will influence your unconscious decisions if you have one already.

Thanks patch! I do love having a plan :) And I agree. It's amazing how even one choice can be influential! I had already decided where to use my restaurant meals, so when I found myself needing a last minute lunch when I was out and about yesterday, the natural choice was a green salad with chicken (and it was a really good salad, so double win!). I was at a pizza place, so if I hadn't already made that decision, it would have been a slice, no doubt about it! Probably with double pepperoni, if I'm honest :) It was pretty thrilling! Weird to say, but true.  

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Friday, June 14th

PUSHUPS:    6 good, consecutive / 10 total (back to regular pushups!); 5 good, consecutive kneeling pushups

PULL-UP:     35 second bar hang (extended)

SNOOZE:      No snooze! 12/12

Saturday, June 15th

PUSHUPS:    6 good, consecutive / 6 total

PULL-UP:      40 second bar hang (extended)

SNOOZE:       No snooze! 13/13

Sunday, June 16th

PUSHUPS:    6 good / 7 consecutive / 15 total

PULL-UP:      40 second bar hang (extended); 3 negative pull-ups (!) 

SNOOZE:       No snooze! 14/14

Food/Drink Tally (For the week. The day isn't over, but I know what it holds, foodwise.)

REST. MEALS:   3 meal / 3 week

FRIED FOOD:     1 / 1 (success!!!)

ALCOHOL:           4 / 3 (oops...)

DESSERTS:       3 / 3

BODY FAT %:   32.49% (-0.59% — Heading the right direction!)

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

how do u measure body fat % im confuzed about this :/ - tnks

Hi David! Here's a Nerd Fitness article I've read on it: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/

And it's actually the most clearly written and comprehensive article I've read on the topic! If you want more info, I can dig around for the other articles I've read too. 

My husband measures me with calipers and I use this site to do the math for me. Since we're not pros, he takes multiple measurements in the same spots and we average before inputting the data. 

Hope that helps!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines