Ok, here we go!

Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with some Druid and Monk capabilities

This is a big transition period in my life. In less than three weeks, I'm moving to a different country. Last week, I graduated college. In the last six months, I've incurred and dealt with (both healthily and unhealthily... well, mostly unhealthily) a broken heart. In the last year, I had major knee surgery.

I was with my ex so long (six years) that I hadn't really done any "adult" dating before them, and now I'm in my late 20s without a clue. It's been a real ride, and I've discovered two things: I want to be more flexible and able-bodied so that I can do fun physical things with new potential partners (yes, this includes sex), and I need to do some serious self-loving and learn to find and appreciate and really love my body (and my brain, but I don't have as far to go with that aspect). I want to know and love and use my body for myself AND for others. 

I injured my knee about ten years ago, and since then it's been several operations and lots of declining physical activity. Now my knee isn't perfect but it's much, much better than before. I tried to start running and hurt my heel (whoops), so I have to learn to have patience with myself and just lay off the legs a bit more. I need to be kind to myself, and think things through, and not stress or worry about making myself look active or evaluating myself harshly against others who don't have the same profile I do. I need to have fun and celebrate and explore myself (which is the purpose of this challenge, for me). 

If my goals don't seem attainable or would realistically need to be tweaked somehow, please mention it! I am (obviously) new to this. 

·      100 Breath Meditation - 4 times a week 

o   http://kevinrose.com/100-breath-meditation

Grading Scale

A - 4 times a week

B - 3 times a week

C - 2 times a week

D - 1 time a week

F - 0 times a week

Average A gains STA 3, B gains 2, C gains 1

·      Flexibility Training - 4 times a week

o   Yoga - Surya Namaskara A & B (Ashtanga Primary Series) 

o   Six Weeks to Splits

§  http://www.unique-bodyweight-exercises.com/splits.html

Everything I look at is for the front/back splits, but I was hoping to do straddle/center splits. Someone should tell me if there’s a program out there for this!

Grading Scale

A - 4 times a week

B - 3 times a week

C - 2 times a week

D - 1 time a week

F - 0 times a week

Average A gains DEX 5, B gains 4, C gains 3, D gains 2, F gains 0

·      Pushup Progression – 3 days a week

o   Right now I can do zero. By the end of this challenge, I would like to be able to do five perfect pushups. I think this is attainable, right?

Grading Scale

A - 3 times a week

B - 2 times a week

C - 1 time a week

D - 0 times a week

F - 0 times a week

Average A gains STR 4, B gains 3, C gains 2, D gains 1

·      64 ounces of water intake - 7 days a week

o   Simple. Drink it. It makes your skin nice and your joints move and your throat not hurt!

Grading Scale

A - 7 times a week

B - 5 times a week

C - 3 times a week

D - 1 time a week

F - 0 times a week

Average A gains CON 3, B gains 2, C gains 1

Beginning Stats

(STR): 1

(DEX): 1

(STA): 1

(CON): 2

(WIS): 4

(CHA): 6

--- Useful links that have been posted in this thread!

http://gymnastics.about.com/od/trainingadvice/ss/centersplit.htm'> about.com’s How to Do a Center Split

http://www.unique-bodyweight-exercises.com/splits.html'> A kind of terribly put together site for stretches that help get you to the (front) splits

http://www.goldmedalbodies.com/crow-pose/'> Gold Medal Bodies’ Mastering the Crow Pose (yoga)

http://www.thesecretsofyoga.com/ashtanga/Dristhi.html'> Explanation of dristhi (yoga)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t46jMhp6pjQ'> Demonstration of the knees-chest-chin progression for chaturanga (yoga)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caSIo6Rw0Bg'> Chaturanga alignment video (yoga)

http://kevinrose.com/100-breath-meditation'> Kevin Rose’s 100 breath meditation

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/02/15/proper-push-up/'> Steve’s article on how to do a proper pushup

http://phraktured.net/molding-mobility.html'>Phraktured.net’s Molding Mobility guide for warming up to and helping with pushups

Inclune pushups guide

Pushup Technique Improvement

Demonstration of good arm form for pushups (you don’t need the product they’re showing)

Gold Medal Bodies’ Mastering the basic pushup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K7rv_vFOWM/ Spiderman Crawl

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with Some Druid and Monk capabilities

Current Stats: (STR) 1 || (DEX) 1 || (STA) 1 || (CON) 2 || (WIS) 4 || (CHA) 6

Thanks! I've lost 20ish pounds with keto, but fell off the wagon recently because of various life factors... hoping to get back into it during this challenge period! 

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with Some Druid and Monk capabilities

Nice goals ArkahamWhore! Congrats on all of the wonderful and positive changes you've been making lately, and it sounds like you are really working to actively manage all of the challenging ones. Awesome, and best of luck!!

Also, stoked to see you went for pushups in your goals :) Not sure if you've seen the Nerd Fitness article on it, but I've found it incredibly helpful. Especially building up core strength by doing planks. That one's been vital for me. 

You can be more generous to yourself in points assignment for your grading scale. Not sure if you've seen this?

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Gonna second AK on the fact that you have up to 15 points to assign to your goals (no more than 5 per any one goal), which I definitely recommend because that allows for you to reward yourself with partial stat points should you succeed with less than an A. Other than that, I think you've got some great goals and I look forward to hearing about your successes on the road to recovering from everything that's happened. 

Good luck and welcome to the NF community! =)

Level 3 Human Adventurer

(based on the old system, anyway)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #25

Current Challenge

Challenge 1 | Challenge 2 | Challenge 3

I had seen the post, I think I was just being harsh on myself. I will mess with the award points and give myself some slack! Thanks for pointing it out!

I'll echo AgentKatia on the planks. Even the one 15 second plank in the BBW circuit along with those 10 push-ups has already made a difference for me in basically no time.

And moving to a different country is a huge step! Moving for a job or just a change?

Good luck with your goals (and the move)!

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

Yeah I'm totally adding the planks into my push up goal! I will be Batman (minus the dead parents and raspy voice). 

I'm moving to Sweden (from the US) for a few different reasons -- I will be doing some field work Indiana Jones style (well, maybe not AS cool... but archaeological, anyway) and I will also be trying to get a non-profit of mine off the ground. Long, long road, but it's gotta start somewhere. Not to mention, I will be perfecting my Swedish, about which I am very excited!

Can't believe no one has asked yet... which country are you moving to?

As someone who moved countries 15 years ago, I'm decidedly curious about such things.

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 7.5 | CON 9 | WIS 7.5| CHA 5.5

Challenges: 1 | Current | Battle Log
"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

I am moving to Sweden :) 

I will be perfecting my Swedish, about which I am very excited!

This will help:  https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=xx-bork

(old, but gold)

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

No way! You're doing archaeology? I'm doing anthropology (social/cultural)! What are you focusing on that's bringing you to Sweden? I'm trying to focus on reconstructionist pagan groups, and considering studying in Iceland for my master's in a couple years.

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

Nerds!   ;)  Seriously, very cool stuff.  I have hobbies in evolutionary psychology, but that's as far as I go.  The rest of the time I'm perfectly normal.  ;)

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

My degree's emphasis was actually in history/mythology/folklore, but since I'll be IN Sweden, I'll be hands-on working with stuff that directly pertains to my work. I'm heeeeellla excited about it because it's a complete change from purely textual work on a campus. And the degree is in Scandinavian Studies, but it's very much overlapping with stuff like anthro/archaeo/history/linguistics. 

Hey Arkham!

If you need some commiserations on the life happenings front... I've been there (well, minus the knee part). I've moved country four times (that's only counting the big moves), and relationships... mmm... I get it. But look at it this way: now you're dating as a grown up, and there are a bunch of tall, blond Swedes out there :D

Goals wise looking good. How are you looking to progress your push-ups? Still working on that myself. Somewhere on the web there's a free 50 page sample if the Supple Leopard book which has some great tips on good form. I tried that out yesterday, and it did make them a little harder, but noticeably better firm (more stable). I'd link but, er, posting from my phone and all that...

I'm totally going to be following your challenge!  

I don't have a progression for middle splits per se, but I could take you through the middle splits training I do for circus stuff (I don't think I have the hip structure to ever get all the way down, but at max I can get maybe 3" off the floor).   Message me privately and we can chat about what you're doing now. 

I'm also a sometimes keto girl.  I used it earlier this year to get rid of 10 pounds of post baby weight, and I've got maybe 5lbs to go.  Sadly, finances now dictate that I can't keep it up through the summer, but if you want any recipes or just general support, let me know.  

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

Hey Arkham!

If you need some commiserations on the life happenings front... I've been there (well, minus the knee part). I've moved country four times (that's only counting the big moves), and relationships... mmm... I get it. But look at it this way: now you're dating as a grown up, and there are a bunch of tall, blond Swedes out there :D

Goals wise looking good. How are you looking to progress your push-ups? Still working on that myself. Somewhere on the web there's a free 50 page sample if the Supple Leopard book which has some great tips on good form. I tried that out yesterday, and it did make them a little harder, but noticeably better firm (more stable). I'd link but, er, posting from my phone and all that...

Hey thanks! Yeah, a lot of my friends say that I'll get off the plane and see all the beautiful Swedes and never look back, haha. The relationship thing has been a very strange circumstance in my life. Clearly it ending hurt like a bitch, but it's caused me to examine sooooo many things about myself, and reevaluate things, and has forced me to figure out a lot of shit that I largely ignored or never developed at all in the past six years. I am really, really happy with most of the changes and discoveries I've made since the break up, but... it was still a break up. I will probably need (and love!) some commiseration at some point, so thank you!

As for the pushups, my current plan of action is to do the PlankADay challenge, since I've read in several places on here that planks really help the pushups, especially form. I plan on doing the pushups every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Need to rest to let those muscles build. Other than that, so far I think I'm really only just following the directions for a plank and a pushup on here! If and when my routine gets more specific, I will record it here :D

I'm totally going to be following your challenge!  

I don't have a progression for middle splits per se, but I could take you through the middle splits training I do for circus stuff (I don't think I have the hip structure to ever get all the way down, but at max I can get maybe 3" off the floor).   Message me privately and we can chat about what you're doing now. 

I'm also a sometimes keto girl.  I used it earlier this year to get rid of 10 pounds of post baby weight, and I've got maybe 5lbs to go.  Sadly, finances now dictate that I can't keep it up through the summer, but if you want any recipes or just general support, let me know.  

-jj

I would love love LOVE if we could do some middle splits training! I’m so fascinated by the circus and sideshow art stuff, and splits are so cool for so many reasons. I don’t know what kind of hip structure I have. The wide kind? Is that going to hinder my progress?

Keto is definitely something that takes up your primary focus and time and seriously the bank account does not like it, so I feel you. But you’ll get those five pounds some other way, I know it! I’d love to chat about recipes some time (I’ve got some good ones, too!).

Now I’m off to message you about the splits! SOoooooooooo excited!

My degree's emphasis was actually in history/mythology/folklore, but since I'll be IN Sweden, I'll be hands-on working with stuff that directly pertains to my work. I'm heeeeellla excited about it because it's a complete change from purely textual work on a campus. And the degree is in Scandinavian Studies, but it's very much overlapping with stuff like anthro/archaeo/history/linguistics. 

Oh, wow, AWESOME! Are you focusing on a particular era? Or more like the evolution of?

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Oh, wow, AWESOME! Are you focusing on a particular era? Or more like the evolution of?

My personal interest is for pre-Christian Scandinavia in general, but we have very little material evidence (comparatively, anyway) for that era, or anything prior to the arrival of the missionaries. The era that has the most interest and of which we have a fair amount of "stuff" is of course the Viking age. I will most likely be looking at material from there, but who knows! Anything could happen! 

My personal interest is for pre-Christian Scandinavia in general, but we have very little material evidence (comparatively, anyway) for that era, or anything prior to the arrival of the missionaries. The era that has the most interest and of which we have a fair amount of "stuff" is of course the Viking age. I will most likely be looking at material from there, but who knows! Anything could happen! 

So interesting! I have a general love of history and for a second considered becoming Indiana Jones (or Laura Croft). But, alas, that was not my path. 

I can honestly say that I didn't realize there was a known pre-Christian Scandinavian history outside of the Viking age. Fascinating. 

Okay, since your career isn't a direct one of your goals, I'll stop hi-jacking this conversation now. 

I'm glad to see you cut yourself some slack on the rating system. You are going to be working hard! You deserve all the points you can earn!

Also, I totally forgot to mention that doing Chaturanga Dandasana is a killer help for pushups too! Different arm position than military style, but it's literally a negative pushup. So the Surya Namaskar and pushup goals are really complementary. Nice one!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

So hard... not to talk... about Scandinavia....

Message me if you ever wanna know about that stuff! I can talk for ages. 

Yeah, I'm hoping the yoga helps with the pushups and the other way around. I've actually had a tiny bit of experience with surya namaskara (my roommate until a couple days ago was a yoga instructor) so I'm hoping that will help me ease into this challenge (although I still really sucked at the chaturanga, ha). 

Good luck with your challenge, move/new job, and potential for Indian Jones-esque adventure!  The work sounds very interesting.  And if I might ask, I am curious to your thoughts, as an expert :),  on the Vikings TV show that the History channel put out as they said they were trying to be "authentic" where they could while also telling a narrative.

I like the idea of the breath meditations.  I cab get easily distracted, especially at home and I think focusing on doing those and tuning everything else out would be a great way to improve focus.

Ian Fin 8 - Lvl 1 Slow Mutant Rebel

Current Challenge - Attempting the Dark Tower: Part 1
Accountabilibuddies - Browncoats

"I'm an important person you see. I have a tower."  Valentine - "MirrorMask"

You know, I haven't seen the show! There's a lot of talk about it in my department, of course, but most of us are so busy...

The biggest problem I foresee with it is that our knowledge of the religious workings of the Vikings and earlier is really spotty. It wasn't uniform by any means, and they weren't good at keeping records, and they moved a lot, and it was not what we would consider "Western religion." People did not venerate Thor as they do the Christian god now, you know? And for some that's hard to wrap their heads around, so shows tend to come out a little warped. 

I DO plan on watching it, though, and when I do, I will let you know! 

Great goals, I had knee surgery last year so I can empathize (teensy bit since you've obviously been through a hell of a lot more as far as that's concerned) with you there. It can definitely be frustrating when you want to run and go, go, go and all the fitness advice tells you to and you just, can't at least not at first anyways. If it's the impact that is bothering your legs, try running in water. My Ortho had me do that (starting chest deep and as my leg got stronger and more able to take impact I made my way to the shallow end of the pool then once i was able to run at mid-calf depth, the running track) I got a lot of funny looks from people but I didn't care so long as it would get me running without buckling. Good luck!

"I don't want you to save me. I want you to stand by my side as I save myself."-unknown

The only problem with that, is that I would need access to water on a regular basis. I think it WOULD be pretty good for me, though. But I'd also be really self conscious...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines