I'm not much of a yoga person, but my karate class practices (which much of the falling down and the laughter) of the crow pose.  I've never been able to do one of these and would love to see a progression into the crow.  We tend to start at the crow, then progress into a slow handstand.

Crows are no joke, man. I am always hella impressed when I watch my friends go into that pose. 

Yes! Crow is definitely a challenge! Part of the reason? It seems like it's all upper body strength, but ACTUALLY it's ALL about the core (and some upper body strength, obviously). 

How do they usually have you get there patchwolf?

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

The usual way?  Squat down, place both hands on the ground, and prop the inside of your knees on your elbows.  Lean forward until your feet come off the ground.  Essentially, "this is what it looks like, now do it."  I imagine a proper yoga instructor would teach it differently...

Checking this out now... http://www.goldmedalbodies.com/crow-pose/

Maybe something for the next 6-week challenge, followed by half-crow, then to full handstand.

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 7.5 | CON 9 | WIS 7.5| CHA 5.5

Challenges: 1 | Current | Battle Log
"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

The usual way?  Squat down, place both hands on the ground, and prop the inside of your knees on your elbows.  Lean forward until your feet come off the ground.  Essentially, "this is what it looks like, now do it."  I imagine a proper yoga instructor would teach it differently...

Checking this out now... http://www.goldmedalbodies.com/crow-pose/

Nice find! Those instructions are the progression I have experience with, too. I'd say definitely try it out after doing some core exercises to draw your awareness to those muscles, and sort of think about drawing everything in toward your core, if that makes sense, as you move into the pose.

Also, while it's very important to have a sense of humor about it (because the falling is kind of the best part, imo), I find I'm most successful if I find my focus point and concentrate on that more than anything else. In yoga, your focus point is called your dristhi, and in crow, it sort of feels like looking through the floor—keeping your eyes soft and concentrating on a space between your hands beyond what you can see... like a Magic Eye thingy. (Did you KNOW that was online now? Man I loved those books for a year or two.)

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Those magic eye things never worked for me. I was so bitter about it as a kid!

One day, far away from now, I want me and my former roommate to be able to do amazing poses like the crow together!

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with Some Druid and Monk capabilities

Current Stats: (STR) 1 || (DEX) 1 || (STA) 1 || (CON) 2 || (WIS) 4 || (CHA) 6

Thanks, Bruce! Hopefully it won't be too difficult, with the summer heat!

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with Some Druid and Monk capabilities

Thanks, Bruce! Hopefully it won't be too difficult, with the summer heat!

If it helps, just think about me freezing my bits off at 6.15 in the morning going into winter.  It was about 10°C (50°F) this morning...

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

I LOVE 10 - 16 C weather! That's my jam. I can't take shit above that. 

Ok! So tomorrow I have to leave the house at 7 am and be on a bus for seven hours. This means I need to get up at five so I can do my planks, flexibility training (yoga and splits sequence), and meditation all before getting in the shower and getting ready. 

I got this!

Oh, yeah.  If planks ever get boring, you can do rotational planks (side plank, then slowly turn over into the opposite side plank, passing through a normal plank on the way) as well.

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

I cannot even fathom that shit, but sure, when planks get boring!

Ok! So tomorrow I have to leave the house at 7 am and be on a bus for seven hours. This means I need to get up at five so I can do my planks, flexibility training (yoga and splits sequence), and meditation all before getting in the shower and getting ready. 

I got this!

That's quite a trip! I'm guessing you'll update us later, but I'd love to know how this morning went!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

I checked out the links to the 100 breath meditation page and it looks very interesting. I have the same problems the author discussed with sitting still for meditation. I think I'll give this a go during the next round of challenges! Thanks for posting such interesting info!

Alice

Level 1 Human Adventurer

STR: 2   DEX: 2   STA: 2   CON: 2   WIS: 7   CHA: 0

“The greater the difficulty, the more the glory in surmounting it.†-Epicurus

You can totally get to 5 pushups after 6 weeks.  I've been working hard for about 20 weeks and I'm up to 16 full (on toes) pushups.  Planks (and variations of) are definitely the way forward too.  Add them all into your routine and you'll be hitting 5 no problem!

Sweden sounds like a great adventure (not just for the tall blonde Scandinavian types!).  I've visited Norway before and loved it.  You'll be in a closer time zone too so maybe I won't miss 4 pages before I repost! haha :)

Human – adventurer – level 2

STR:  2   DEX:  3   STA: 5

CON:  6         WIS:  8.5         CHA:  4.5

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

myfitnesspal

first challenge - smashed it!

second challenge - failed!

current challenge

You can totally get to 5 pushups after 6 weeks.  I've been working hard for about 20 weeks and I'm up to 16 full (on toes) pushups.  Planks (and variations of) are definitely the way forward too.  Add them all into your routine and you'll be hitting 5 no problem!

Sweden sounds like a great adventure (not just for the tall blonde Scandinavian types!).  I've visited Norway before and loved it.  You'll be in a closer time zone too so maybe I won't miss 4 pages before I repost! haha :)

Thanks, I hope you're right! And yeah, soon I'll be in the European block of time... so weird!

Heyooooooo! So! My first day I did alright, considering. I did check everything off the list that I was supposed to do, but I was unhappy with how sucky I was at everything. I think it just might have been the stress of the day, unrelated to our challenge. 

I *finally* got over here to read your stuff...sorry it took so long!  It's all kinda a lot to keep up with, and I don't have a good system yet.  Being out of town didn't help, either. :P

I really like that 6 weeks to splits page.  I've never been able to come close to a split, and straddle-splits are just as bad.  I picked up a lot of good ideas from that site.  I imagine they could be applied to straddle-splits too.  Maybe if you did them on your fee with your butt in the air and elbows on the ground? ...well, I just tried that and it was a no-go.  But I could stand with my legs spread and rest my elbows on a table and feel a pull!  

I wish there was a way to favorite replies in threads--you've got so many great links for things throughout here!

Oh yeah, TOTALLY jealous over your move to Sweden!

Level 4 Twi'lek Adventurer

STR: 3 | DEX: 4 | STA: 7 | CON: 10 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 5.5

Current Challenge

Do not betray your fellow bats.  FOTB!

Heyooooooo! So! My first day I did alright, considering. I did check everything off the list that I was supposed to do, but I was unhappy with how sucky I was at everything. I think it just might have been the stress of the day, unrelated to our challenge. 

It's the first day of the challenge .. should be expected that you'll have room to improve (and then you can say "hey! remember at the beginning of the challenge when I couldn't do that thing you're trying to do? Well, I can do it and do it well now!"). Glad you got everything checked off and way to start the challenge off right! We're rooting for ya =)

Level 3 Human Adventurer

(based on the old system, anyway)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #25

Current Challenge

Challenge 1 | Challenge 2 | Challenge 3

It's the first day of the challenge .. should be expected that you'll have room to improve (and then you can say "hey! remember at the beginning of the challenge when I couldn't do that thing you're trying to do? Well, I can do it and do it well now!"). Glad you got everything checked off and way to start the challenge off right! We're rooting for ya =)

^This! I was going to say the same thing!!!

AND! You did it! With some crazy travel involved! So, I'm going to say AWESOME DAY ONE!!!!

How's Day Two going?

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Hey Arkham! The point isn't to rock your goals immediately else get discouraged, it's to do what you have to. You did the things you were supposed to, and you'll do better next time! You got this! FotB!

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

^This! I was going to say the same thing!!!

AND! You did it! With some crazy travel involved! So, I'm going to say AWESOME DAY ONE!!!!

How's Day Two going?

Day two has so far been busy with stuff, but now I'm home and have nothing to do for a few hours but catch up on Game of Thrones.... and do planks and pushups!

Hey there girl!  I'm still keeping in mind that I'm supposed to take pictures of those two steps in splits training I sent you.  But yeah... what Silas Randwulf said... the point is not to go all out on day 1, it's to put together 6 weeks of consistent progress.

Oh and I was thinking of you because the assassins are having a great discussion about push-up form. Figured you might want to eavesdrop a bit.  :-)

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines