Chapter 3: The Long Road Back (Rob's Challenge)

Rob__

Rob stood at the edge of a bluff, overlooking a forested valley. Set in the side of the cliffs on the other side of the valley from him, Rob could see a cave. If the information all those Bothans died for was correct, Rob should find Jim inside the cave. If the information all those Bothans died for was correct, the 10 miles that separated him from that cave were treacherous, and filled with traps.

He ran when he could. Large, deep trenches had been dug into the valley floor. The trenches were the work of magic, for only the most powerful magics could have scarred a network of canyons. At times he could jump across the trenches, other times he catapulted from swinging vines to cross the canyons. The journey was difficult, but in time, Rob had traversed the valley and its network of canyons.

Crouching behind thick shrubs, Rob could make out the entrance to the cave and he could see that it was guarded. Four powerfully built, but lightly armoured guards stood next to the entrance, two on each side. There was no way he could sneak around or behind the guards, a direct frontal assault was the only thing possible. I wish I had a bow and arrow… he thought. With a sigh, he stepped out from behind the bush and made his way towards the guards.

When Rob was about 20 feet away, two guards walked out to meet him. Without word, they attacked. Rob ducked and weaved between blows from their heavy maces. His shield took a pounding while he swung his sword, leaving a red gash in the belly of one of the guards. The injury created a brief window that allowed Rob a chance to step back. It wasn’t long before the guard closed the distance with a furious bellow and he charged. Rob dodged, and just as he was about to bring his sword around, a loud voice boomed: "IT IS FINISHED!" All four guards vanished instantly.

Confused and wary, Rob walked into the cave. It was dark, except for a flickering light in the distance. Rob ran. As he got closer, he could see the silhouette of a person slumped on the ground next to the fire. He ran faster, and soon reached the man he assumed was Jungle Jim. He was still breathing, but only barely.

“Who….†Jim wheezed, “….are….. you…†he finished slowly. “Never…mind. No…. time… Here…. Take…†and lifted out his hand. Rob reached out his palm to take what it was that Jim wanted to give him, but as he raised his hand, Jim died. Rob quickly grabbed Jim’s hand before it hit the ground. Then there was pain and only dark.

In the darkness there was a voice: “Warrior, in death, I gave you my life and all its experiences. The power I held is now yours. Go! You must head to the Island of Light and finish what I started…â€

Eventually Rob awoke and thought about what Jim’s voice had said. He could make neither heads nor tails of it. He had never heard of the Island of Light and if he did have Jim’s life and all it’s experiences, they still didn’t shed any light on what he needed to finish. One thing he did note, however, is that he felt stronger than he did before. Faster as well. He even felt bigger. Rob was sure that something had happened to him when he touched Jim’s hand, and he knew that he needed to figure out how to use the power Jim had given him – or even what it was.

One thing he did know is that his failure to make it here on time had probably cost Jim his life. He wasn’t going to let Jim down again and Rob resolved to figure out what it was that Jim had started and finish it. Or die trying.

His best bet for figuring things out was to go back to Jim’s gym and talk to Jim’s guards, so he wasted no time and headed back immediately.

There is no signature here.

So anyways, hi! Welcome to yet another Rob challenge. What you will find here:

1) Discussions re: lifting.

2) Probably gifs.

3) Undoubtedly shenanigans will ensue.

You'll also find goals. Significantly less goals than usual because school's keeping me extra super busy and there's lots of work that needs to be done. Have I mentioned enough that I'm taking 7 fucking classes this summer because I'm a fucking masochist? At least it feels like fucking summer now. Toronto issued a cracked out mayor heat advisory and not to go outside unless necessary. And let me tell you, it's been absolutely fucking necessary after that 18 month long winter.

But, anyway. Goals. You will find them. In fact, here they are...

Endure

All the foods - So. I think the sickness that I've been down with is officially over. How do I feel comfortable enough to say this considering I've said this like... what? twice before now? I'm hungry. All the time. Like, the Master hungry. The black hole moved back into my stomach hungry. People are complaining that I'm eating all the time. I'm even eating right now. We're going to play the points game again like we did a couple challenges ago, but we're going to raise the stakes (steaks?). Everyone remember how it works?

There's a setpoint of calories per day. Every calorie over that setpoint is worth 1 point. 21,000 points across the challenge are required to get a B this time. 27,000 for an A. That's around 640 calories a day above the setpoint. Instead of counting the 3001st calorie as our first point, I'll have to wait until the 3251th is consumed. That's 3900 calories a day, or thereabouts. Should be manageable. Here's the tracking thread For successfully getting an A, that's +3 CON +2 STR

Progress

The Three 'L's - Lift, lift, lift. Oh heck yes, mofos. Lots of lifting this time around. I'm revamping the liftplan slightly. Things are going to get pretty damned big and boring around here. The things on the days are going to look like this:

tumblr_mnn67pBXEl1s4vsheo1_1280.png

Some notes: 531 follows the 5/3/1 lifting template.

5x10 sets are all reverse pyramids.

kroc rows x3 means 2 sets of 10 (per arm), and 1 set AMRAP (per arm)

I get an A just for showing up to all 24 sessions on the day they're scheduled for. I lose a letter every week that I have to modify my schedule.  +5 STR for the A.

Evolve

Recovery - Other than being a

, its all the usual post-workout fun stuff that I need to do: Mobility, stretching, meditating, homework, scotch, Skyrim, Doctor Who, etc. Once again, I don't envision not getting an A for this. +3 DEX +2 CHA

AND NOW FOR THE SUPER IMPORTANT UNGRADED CHALLENGE EVENT SHINY HAPPY THING: I'm not going to get fucking sick. I'm going to be mainlining vitamin c, chicken soup and echinacea.

Front

tumblr_mirdruLKwa1s4vsheo2_500.jpgtumblr_mlcvzfpAwQ1s4vsheo2_500.jpgtumblr_mnu9em82N51s4vsheo2_500.jpg

Pic 1: Feb 25, 174lbs. Pic 2: April 16, 170 lbs. Pic 3: June 3, 170lbs

Back

tumblr_mirdruLKwa1s4vsheo1_500.jpgtumblr_mlcvzfpAwQ1s4vsheo1_500.jpgtumblr_mnu9em82N51s4vsheo1_400.jpg

Pic 1: Feb 25, 174lbs Pic 2: April 16, 170lbs Pic 3: June 3, 170lbs

Side

tumblr_mirdruLKwa1s4vsheo3_500.jpgtumblr_mlcvzfpAwQ1s4vsheo3_500.jpgtumblr_mnu9em82N51s4vsheo3_400.jpg

Pic 1: Feb 25, 174lbs Pic 2: April 16, 170lbs Pic 3: June 3, 170lbs

Neck 16"

Chest 40"

Waist 32.75"

Right

Bicep 13.5"

Forearm 11"

Thigh 23.25"

Calf 14"

Left

Bicep 13"

Forearm 10.75"

Thigh 22.75"

Calf 14"

*Claims a spot in the pillow palace, close to the pool and swim-up bar* Yep, this place has it all.

Hey, your recovery song works in the States. Just sayin'....

Rock the hell out of those lifts and the eating but

Don't get sick!

I know you said that already, but it bears repeating. The Things are healthy, so that bodes well

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Str: 18.75 | Dex: 12.25 | Sta: 16 | Con: 30.25 | Wis: 27 | Cha: 16.25

Goal: Survive seven fucking classes?

You are, in fact, a crazy man.

Lol, yeah it's going to be tough, but 2 of the classes are online and one of the online courses is a super simple course. Still, it's a lot of reading and writing. Thankfully, my courses are really spread out and I have 1 class a day, except for Tuesdays in which I have 2.

*Claims a spot in the pillow palace, close to the pool and swim-up bar* Yep, this place has it all.

Hey, your recovery song works in the States. Just sayin'....

Rock the hell out of those lifts and the eating but

Don't get sick!

I know you said that already, but it bears repeating. The Things are healthy, so that bodes well

I'm pretty sure Tommy Lee just hates Canada because of Pamela.

It actually makes me feel better about things knowing that the Things are healthy also.

I read an article on your cracked out mayor the other day.  It was weird.  

And our workout schedule is fucking identical, why you gotta go and steal my good ideas man! Ha!  

Your point setup for food is pretty awesome, good luck man!  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Heat advisory?  Send some of that my way please!  It's been raining for over a week straight.  Now that the crops/grass has enough water for a bit, bring on summer!

*cleans allergens out of everywhere*

*uses powers to prevent RobPlague*

You got this!

We got a heat advisory? Pfft.

You got it this time around, dude. JUST STOP GETTING FUCKING SICK.

Yeah. It was over 30 + humidity yesterday/today/for the forseeable future.

You had me at...

Subbed.

tumblr_m20ph2vGiO1rs2cbyo1_400.gif

I read an article on your cracked out mayor the other day.  It was weird.  

And our workout schedule is fucking identical, why you gotta go and steal my good ideas man! Ha!  

Your point setup for food is pretty awesome, good luck man!  

I'm getting to the point where I'm embarrassed to live in Toronto. Like really embarrassed. He gets on TV all fat and sweaty and starts attacking the media calling them maggots, saying his track record speaks for itself (lol I really hate this guy and could speak for 80 minutes on his track record), etc. but doing nothing to actually address any of the controversy that's going on (crack mayor, allegations he's involved with murder, etc.)

Lol I was sitting around all "Don't get me wrong, I love a good snatch... but I need to focus, man." After doing snatches and c&j, even though the weights are insignificant in comparison to the squat/dead, I'm super effing gassed. I even cut down to 5 sets of 3, 2, or 1 and I'm still gassed. So they've gotta go for now. I was already doing the BBB 5x10s for the upper body lifts, so I just threw them under the squats and the deads to replace the oly lifts.

The points system worked really well for the eating last time. I think I went up around 10lbs last time I played the points game during a challenge. The steaks (stakes?) are a little higher this time, so we'll see what happens. I kinda also liked your "who needs arms" idea... so I'm probably going to assign myself "who needs arms" homework a couple times a week (eg. "after 5pm, anytime you walk into your room 10 pullups. 10 pushups when you walk out"... on an average day, that's at least 100 of each).

Heat advisory?  Send some of that my way please!  It's been raining for over a week straight.  Now that the crops/grass has enough water for a bit, bring on summer!

*cleans allergens out of everywhere*

*uses powers to prevent RobPlague*

You got this!

It was pretty much just yesterday, well the heat advisory anyway. It had been warm the few days leading up to it, but it definitely wasn't hot until yesterday. And even at that, I don't think it was extra super hot that it merited a heat advisory....

*grabs some lysol wipes and starts wiping down surfaces*

*injects antihistamines into the air supply*

subby subbed.

Yay! Hi nightlight!

waiting (fingers tapping..)

hate waiting. I hate waiting so much, I'm going to post a workout, even though it's technically a last challenge workout, to spare you the having to wait!

Squats

10x45

5x95

3x145

1x195

1x225

1x250

1x285

1x315

1x330 <~~ this now becomes a tested 1RM

0x345 <~~ decided to have a little seat and dump the bar. Couldn''t get up outta the hole

Total Volume: 1405

Squats (Who needs legs?)

10x225

10x205

10x185

10x165

10x145

Total Volume: 9250

According to my logs, last week's workout of back and front squats combined for a workout volume of 7640 lbs. The Who needs legs sets are going to be what the 5x10s are going to look like on squat day. Well, not exactly like that, but close to it. I'm not going to lie, I'm most definitely already feeling the sore from this workout, and predominantly in my get out of the hole muscles (hamstrings, glutes, etc), which is bad because I still have to dead lift this weekend. I'm going to have to do a lot of the recovery type thing.

So I talk about the 1RM squatting over in my other log, but basically I was angry at not being able to get out of the hole. If I coulda, the 345 would have gone up easily. It makes me wonder if I had gone 345 instead of 330, would I have been able to get out of the hole then? 330 was a bit dicey in the hole also, but flew up once I got out. I'm thinking maybe instead of front squats, I should box squat? What are all y'all thinking?

Only 2 more workouts (2 more days!) and I can fill in the top post with story.

If you're having trouble coming out of the hole I think you should squat from a dead stop. (Put bar on safeties at a height where it catches the bar just below parallel, get under bar, stand.)

I keep contemplating doing split routines so I can really kill each body part in the time that I have but I think I still get more bang from my buck with full body workouts. Also when I did split routines the body parts that I didn't use were all like "do you even lift?" and the parts that I did use were merely pleasantly tired. We'll see how my more efficient and less restful workouts go this challenge though.

If you're having trouble coming out of the hole I think you should squat from a dead stop. (Put bar on safeties at a height where it catches the bar just below parallel, get under bar, stand.)

I keep contemplating doing split routines so I can really kill each body part in the time that I have but I think I still get more bang from my buck with full body workouts. Also when I did split routines the body parts that I didn't use were all like "do you even lift?" and the parts that I did use were merely pleasantly tired. We'll see how my more efficient and less restful workouts go this challenge though.

I did an empty bar test of this just now, and my squat rack is not designed for moderately tall to tall people. I have to go ass to ground to retrieve the bar from on the safeties, even when it's on the very top hole. I can do it, but I'd have to take it apart to convert it every time I switched between a dead stop squat and bench press use... lol

So over in Max's thread he brought up the 5/3/1 Strength Standards Calculator (lift vs. bodyweight) and I was like, what the hey, let's feel worse about our lifts! Actually.... it wasn't turrible.

The Confirmed: Bench Press - 170 lbs falls around halfway between Novice (154) and Intermediate (190). Squats - 330 lbs falls just short of an advanced squat (343)

The projected: OHP - 120 lbs falls around 2/3s of the way to Intermediate (129). Dead lift - 330 lbs falls closer to Intermediate (299) than it does to Advanced (415). 

So like I've always said: My lower body's stronger than my upper body. My squats are my best lift. My bench is pretty bad.

I did an empty bar test of this just now, and my squat rack is not designed for moderately tall to tall people. I have to go ass to ground to retrieve the bar from on the safeties, even when it's on the very top hole. I can do it, but I'd have to take it apart to convert it every time I switched between a dead stop squat and bench press use... lol

Yeah, I think my options are "get really low" and "not low enough" if I want to squat from out of the hole. Getting really low does make things hard, but it's good practice for when I totally lose tension.

Subscribing over here once again.

So over in Max's thread he brought up the 5/3/1 Strength Standards Calculator (lift vs. bodyweight) and I was like, what the hey, let's feel worse about our lifts! Actually.... it wasn't turrible.

Cool calculator. Sadly, a higher turrible factor when I use it, though.

Eth - Level 8 Breton Warrior

STR 24.5 | DEX 9 | STA 20.5 | CON 13 | WIS 10.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: The Warrior Within | Fitocracy

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

Yeah, I think my options are "get really low" and "not low enough" if I want to squat from out of the hole. Getting really low does make things hard, but it's good practice for when I totally lose tension.

This is why I think box squats will work well. Constructing a box if necessary is a lot less involved than having to take apart my squat rack every Monday to set it up for squatting up from the hole and then again every Tuesday to put it back together so I can use the safeties for bench. The safeties are much, much more necessary for my bench days than my squat days. Lol. The 345 fail was the first time I used them for squatting.

Subscribing over here once again.

Cool calculator. Sadly, a higher turrible factor when I use it, though.

It definitely lit a fire under my ass, let me tell you.

Welcome back!

Mmmmmmm food. And gif's. And lifting. This is awesome. 

Subbed. :)

There is going to be so much food. Especially as it gets later in the challenge and I start to get all "Guys... I need to have a feast... I need to eat like 5500 Calories today..."

I'm so excited!

tumblr_mfb3dpZ4kb1qgcra2o1_500.gif

I like what you've done here.

During Crazy Work Season, when everyone was coming down with The Crud, I used ginger tea.  I usually omit the honey because I like the spiciness of the ginger, but feel free to add the honey.  I also vary my method slightly: peel and dice ginger, put it in a mug. Boil water. Pour boiling water over ginger. Steep, covered, for 15 minutes. Add a slice of lemon (make sure you squeeze the juice in!), add honey if using, and enjoy. 

No lie, it's my go to and it works well. So, if you need another weapon in your anti sick arsenal, I give you this.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines