Chapter 3: The Long Road Back (Rob's Challenge)

Rob__

tumblr_mfb3dpZ4kb1qgcra2o1_500.gif

I like what you've done here.

During Crazy Work Season, when everyone was coming down with The Crud, I used ginger tea.  I usually omit the honey because I like the spiciness of the ginger, but feel free to add the honey.  I also vary my method slightly: peel and dice ginger, put it in a mug. Boil water. Pour boiling water over ginger. Steep, covered, for 15 minutes. Add a slice of lemon (make sure you squeeze the juice in!), add honey if using, and enjoy. 

No lie, it's my go to and it works well. So, if you need another weapon in your anti sick arsenal, I give you this.

<3 ginger tea

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Subbed for deliciously gratuitous use of the fuck word combined with whovian gifs... I like your style, sir.

Ha, I think she's got you figured out!  

Looks like I'm going to be saying "HELLLOOOOOOOO" All day again. Thanks Laura... 

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Looks like I'm going to be saying "HELLLOOOOOOOO" All day again. Thanks Laura... 

HA! Me too. And I totally thought of you when I posted it. 

Bwahahahaha!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I like what you've done here.

During Crazy Work Season, when everyone was coming down with The Crud, I used ginger tea.  I usually omit the honey because I like the spiciness of the ginger, but feel free to add the honey.  I also vary my method slightly: peel and dice ginger, put it in a mug. Boil water. Pour boiling water over ginger. Steep, covered, for 15 minutes. Add a slice of lemon (make sure you squeeze the juice in!), add honey if using, and enjoy. 

No lie, it's my go to and it works well. So, if you need another weapon in your anti sick arsenal, I give you this.

My god woman, the amount I <3 hot ginger lemon water. I drink it all the time. Cures colds, sore throats and stimulates the appetite! I'm at the point where a "slice" of lemon doesn't cut it, and I "slice" and juice in the whole lemon. Lol.

Subbed for deliciously gratuitous use of the fuck word combined with whovian gifs... I like your style, sir.

Hah. It wasn't even Challenge Day 1 yet and you already had me figured out...

She totally does. That means I'm going to need to switch things up.

I'll totally also be saying HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO all day. And in between saying it, I'm going to be thinking it. It'll probably remix into Recovery at some point which has probably been trapped in here for like 90 days now?

It's challenge day 1 kids, that means very shortly I"m going to have a Challenge Day 1 related post. But I have some bad news folks...

There is no signature here.

Day 1

It's challenge day 1 kids, and that means a few things:

1. The challenge starts today so I need to put my eating face on. Shit starts today. As always, the tracking spreadsheet is available in my signature by clicking the link that says "Tracker."
  2. Progress pictures, starting measurements. I need to take them, update the non-story top post with them, etc. etc.
  3. Edit the story top post so it has the continuance of the "story" (you'll be able to tell I think about this story once every six weeks or so when it comes time to write it if you actually read it...)
  4. Workouts.... but it's a deload week.
  5. It's time to start working on not getting sick.

Today's lifting agenda: Squat Day. Let me tell you my thighs are super glad it's a deload day. They still would prefer I tobogganed downstairs rather than walked them and deload day allows me my favourite remedy for sore thighs: moar squats.

According to the spreadsheet I haven't made yet because I'm technically still in last cycle, my squat deload day workout is going to look like this:

Squats

Warmup

5x180

5x195

5x210

Squats 3x10

Normally, this would be a 5x10, but it's a deload week.

10x190

10x175

10x160

Front Squats

8x85

8x95

8x105

8x115

This challenge is more focused, so all my deload day workouts will just follow my new lifting plan rather than last cycle's plan that I'm deloading from.

The Bad News File

Cause there's more than one piece...

1. My new laptop already needs repairing/replacing. I'm going to deal with that this afternoon. Depending on if it's a repair or a replace will depend on how much I'm able to update and talk to everyone the next couple days.
  2. Dead lifts did not go well yesterday. I was still too rocked from my squat workout and I was already finding I was having to put in extra effort to break the ground when I was still technically in warmups. So. I just warmed up and then sorta stopped. So I'm going to do a 1RM test for them on Thursday. Which means I'm also going to take a point away from myself because I never completed the testing last challenge and I had already given myself points for it.
  3. That link I said not to click yesterday is affecting me more than I thought it would when I first started watching the episodes in question. I'll probably be just as upset as last time this happened. I mean, it was always one of my half-baked theories that things would go down this way, but still, it hurts. I'm only being mostly silly here. It will still be upsetting when he's gone though...

And you still get sick?!?!!  DAMN YOU, CANADA!

Hey, move south :)

I am not built for Canada. Too much nature. Too much cold. I'd be perfectly OK living in the middle of a desert. Perfectly ok.

So it appears as though I got into the Mayor's crack stash this morning because that workout I planned? LOL!

So this is what I did instead. Why? Cause fuck you, that's why.

Squats:

Warmup

At this point I realized I was experiencing early onset DOMS, so I should probably not follow the rest of my workout as written.

Squats 3x10

At this point I lay down on the floor and died a little. I should probably mention that these three sets turned into a race again and my heart was going to explode out of my chest so I got back up and did this:

Front Squats

8x85

8x85

8x85

After finishing these, I no longer felt like I wanted to die. I just want a nap.

I am not built for Canada. Too much nature. Too much cold. I'd be perfectly OK living in the middle of a desert. Perfectly ok.

So it appears as though I got into the Mayor's crack stash this morning because that workout I planned? LOL!

So this is what I did instead. Why? Cause fuck you, that's why.

Squats:

Warmup

At this point I realized I was experiencing early onset DOMS, so I should probably not follow the rest of my workout as written.

Squats 3x10

At this point I lay down on the floor and died a little. I should probably mention that these three sets turned into a race again and my heart was going to explode out of my chest so I got back up and did this:

Front Squats

8x85

8x85

8x85

After finishing these, I no longer felt like I wanted to die. I just want a nap.

I have no idea why, but as I was reading this I was struck by the sudden desire to watch Return of the King, so I might go do that. 

Human Warrior

Return of the King is a great idea. Actually. I have 12 hours to spare... if I get started now.... <.< (lmfaonotreally)

Also, I meant to add to the bottom of my squat workout, I opened myfitnesspal to the public, so you can stalk me.

I have no idea why, but as I was reading this I was struck by the sudden desire to watch Return of the King, so I might go do that. 

That can only be a compliment.  

I read an article where the guy talked about keeping his dog with him when he was working out.  He said the dog would keep the carrion birds chased off while the writer was recovering on the ground.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

That can only be a compliment.  

I read an article where the guy talked about keeping his dog with him when he was working out.  He said the dog would keep the carrion birds chased off while the writer was recovering on the ground.  

I swear to god you're spying on me, and it was you that stole my workout cause you were reading over my shoulder...

.... my cat totally jumped on my stomach and guarded me during that intermission on the ground. He's good like that.

I swear to god you're spying on me, and it was you that stole my workout cause you were reading over my shoulder...

.... my cat totally jumped on my stomach and guarded me during that intermission on the ground. He's good like that.

How dare you sir?! I challenge you to a duel!

glove-slap-o.gif

Rob, I've only just started watching the episodes with the 11th Doctor, and I had had to take a hiatus from watching the show (ty Netflix) literally halfway through the last episode of season 4 simply because I could. NOT. handle. what I knew was coming.  I can't imagine it being any easier this next round.  /whovian hug

Amazon Warrior
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Druid Side Project
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."--Annajanska, George Bernard Shaw

Rob, I've only just started watching the episodes with the 11th Doctor, and I had had to take a hiatus from watching the show (ty Netflix) literally halfway through the last episode of season 4 simply because I could. NOT. handle. what I knew was coming.  I can't imagine it being any easier this next round.  /whovian hug

The funny thing is that it took me a really long time to watch Season 5 because I got really upset after... you know. And I'm pretty sure it's going to happen again.... Lol. /whovianhug.

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Oh by the way, No Pants Party has been added to the non-story top post.

Return of the King is a great idea. Actually. I have 12 hours to spare... if I get started now.... <.< (lmfaonotreally)

Also, I meant to add to the bottom of my squat workout, I opened myfitnesspal to the public, so you can stalk me.

This makes me crave a LOTR marathon.  Give me a rainy day and 12+ hours, please (extended editions ftw).

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

When sewing costumes we pretty much watched LOTR on repeat. Never got through all three on the same day though.

The girlfriend and I tried that a few months back (LOTR marathon not costume sewing) and we only made it about a third of the way through Return of the King before we called it quits for the night.  

This makes me crave a LOTR marathon.  Give me a rainy day and 12+ hours, please (extended editions ftw).

An extended edition LOTR marathon needs to be had. I've only ever done it with the original theatrical release. I've done the Episodes 1-6 Star Wars Marathons a couple times so I think this bodes well for an LOTR extended cut.

So should we start a PVP or just keep throwing random gifs at each other, cause...

tumblr_lfo05s6P7T1qa5oguo1_500.gif

GoT-GIF-3_zps69096c02.gif

When sewing costumes we pretty much watched LOTR on repeat. Never got through all three on the same day though.

The girlfriend and I tried that a few months back (LOTR marathon not costume sewing) and we only made it about a third of the way through Return of the King before we called it quits for the night.  

I mean considering that 9 hours in you're still watching Fellowship of the Ring, watching all 3 on the same day is a really large commitment and really hard to do. We should all totally have an LOTR Group Watch.

I'm also still sick, but I'm sort of just denying it at this point. Just keep lifting the sickness away and stuffing your face, you got this.

I did the sick denial leading up to the Victoria Day long weekend. I was the guy sitting around a camp fire sneezing, wrapped in a blanket, drinking a beer, "I'm not sick! It's just allergies..."

That's the plan!

As a veteran of Trilogy Tuesday, and watching all 3 with commentary, the trick is to run/move a lot between each disk. 

I also totally forgot there were theatrical versions, interesting. not. 

Now I'm totally craving LOTR! 

Trilogy Tuesday! That's a brilliant idea.

The only reason I remember there's shorter theatrical versions of LOTR is because those are the ones that I watched back to back to back with my ex all those years ago. I'm pretty sure I have them on their original 2-disc DVD release. I'm pretty sure my ex even has fullscreen versions of them still because they were still doing that back then...

I wish I could forget there was versions other than theatrical Star Wars 4-6.

Day 2

So I got all excited yesterday because I woke up without my sinuses aching or my neck muscles tense and I was all "yay, the worst of the swollen sinuses is over." But this morning, I've sorta got a bag of corn elastic banded to the back of my head to keep the pain at bay. It's not actually working well, so I'm probably going to take it off.

Calorically, yesterday was a great start to the challenge. I'm pretty sure I was 991 calories over (I'd have to double check the tracking sheet). And that doesn't include the beer and peanuts either. It was a tallboy of Headstrong Pale Ale and a bottle of 1664 Blanc. Nothing fancy really. And I ate a lot of peanuts. Probably another 400 calories in peanuts? I figure since it's not like I'm actually weighing things or taking exact volumes, those untracked beer and peanuts will end up on the list when I determine how much pasta or something else I've had gets underestimated. But basically, I had yesterday in the bag. But I also had lunch at McDonalds. So there was absolutely no way I was going to fail my calories yesterday. I swear, it's like my stomach hears that I'm bulking and it's like:

tumblr_m7snq1RxoU1qjhuyko1_500.gif

I get so powerfully hungry I need to stop whatever I'm doing and eat something or I'll vomit. I usually have a couple minutes of time wherein I can turn over rocks looking for bugs and worms, dig through my backpack for any snacks, or go into the nearest establishment that can sell a large quantity of food for a minimal quantity of greenbacks. In North America, your usual suspects end up being McDs and their ilk. Except Taco Bell. My stomach revolts when it comes to Taco Bell. A loose translation of what it says is: I thought you said I was getting meat?

So yesterday was a perfect day, which is bringing the perfection streak this challenge to 1. Let's see if we can beat the last two challenges perfection streak: 3 days.

I got all the little challenge-y setup things done. I've taken the reserved card off my thread and I'm having a challenge in it, folks. The only thing I didn't do yesterday was measurements. I didn't have time before class and between all the eating and the bloating, and the working out, I wanted things to be as close to precise as possible.

So in case you missed the little ohey yesterday: The challenge non-story post has No Pants Party pictures - Front/Side/Back comparison of the last 3 challenge starts side by side, dated and weighted. Unfortunately, the angles and size are all different. And I'm even using a different camera this time. My 10MP point and click as opposed to my shitty cell phone camera. Apparently, my cell phone camera lost the self-timer function on a recent update since the start of the last challenge...

Things to do Today

1. Bench Press deeeeeeload 
  2. Mobility! (I haz it?)
  3. Quantify myself!

So since I've been posting it in here, this is what that Bench deload will look like:

Bench Press

5x85

5x95

5x100

Bench Press 3x10

Bar Rows

8x80

8x90

8x100

Everything's deloaded!

GoT-GIF-3_zps69096c02.gif

Andy-kamikaze.gif

Trilogy Tuesday! That's a brilliant idea.

The only reason I remember there's shorter theatrical versions of LOTR is because those are the ones that I watched back to back to back with my ex all those years ago. I'm pretty sure I have them on their original 2-disc DVD release. I'm pretty sure my ex even has fullscreen versions of them still because they were still doing that back then...

I wish I could forget there was versions other than theatrical Star Wars 4-6.

Day 2

So I got all excited yesterday because I woke up without my sinuses aching or my neck muscles tense and I was all "yay, the worst of the swollen sinuses is over." But this morning, I've sorta got a bag of corn elastic banded to the back of my head to keep the pain at bay. It's not actually working well, so I'm probably going to take it off.

Calorically, yesterday was a great start to the challenge. I'm pretty sure I was 991 calories over (I'd have to double check the tracking sheet). And that doesn't include the beer and peanuts either. It was a tallboy of Headstrong Pale Ale and a bottle of 1664 Blanc. Nothing fancy really. And I ate a lot of peanuts. Probably another 400 calories in peanuts? I figure since it's not like I'm actually weighing things or taking exact volumes, those untracked beer and peanuts will end up on the list when I determine how much pasta or something else I've had gets underestimated. But basically, I had yesterday in the bag. But I also had lunch at McDonalds. So there was absolutely no way I was going to fail my calories yesterday. I swear, it's like my stomach hears that I'm bulking and it's like:

tumblr_m7snq1RxoU1qjhuyko1_500.gif

I get so powerfully hungry I need to stop whatever I'm doing and eat something or I'll vomit. I usually have a couple minutes of time wherein I can turn over rocks looking for bugs and worms, dig through my backpack for any snacks, or go into the nearest establishment that can sell a large quantity of food for a minimal quantity of greenbacks. In North America, your usual suspects end up being McDs and their ilk. Except Taco Bell. My stomach revolts when it comes to Taco Bell. A loose translation of what it says is: I thought you said I was getting meat?

So yesterday was a perfect day, which is bringing the perfection streak this challenge to 1. Let's see if we can beat the last two challenges perfection streak: 3 days.

I got all the little challenge-y setup things done. I've taken the reserved card off my thread and I'm having a challenge in it, folks. The only thing I didn't do yesterday was measurements. I didn't have time before class and between all the eating and the bloating, and the working out, I wanted things to be as close to precise as possible.

So in case you missed the little ohey yesterday: The challenge non-story post has No Pants Party pictures - Front/Side/Back comparison of the last 3 challenge starts side by side, dated and weighted. Unfortunately, the angles and size are all different. And I'm even using a different camera this time. My 10MP point and click as opposed to my shitty cell phone camera. Apparently, my cell phone camera lost the self-timer function on a recent update since the start of the last challenge...

Things to do Today

1. Bench Press deeeeeeload 
  2. Mobility! (I haz it?)
  3. Quantify myself!

So since I've been posting it in here, this is what that Bench deload will look like:

Bench Press

5x85

5x95

5x100

Bench Press 3x10

Bar Rows

8x80

8x90

8x100

Everything's deloaded!

I'm a big fan of pale ales, they are an excellent source of calories because... I've got nothing.  They're just delicious.  Sorry you woke up feeling shitty this morning.  Hopefully that stuff will clear up soon.  

And no, I'm not coming to your pants party.  

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines