Chapter 3: The Long Road Back (Rob's Challenge)

Rob__

My college roommates and I had no pants dance parties every week, but we never took pictures like you do...

The pants-off dance-off!  We had those, too.  I miss those days...

Are we still not mentioning the actual whovian event?  I feel like I JUST got used to liking 11.  Why must they fuck with my emotions so?

I'm in the same boat, MoC--I am really only just acclimating myself to 11, and now I'm trying not to get too invested.  Like that's gonna happen...

Amazon Warrior
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Druid Side Project
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."--Annajanska, George Bernard Shaw

So anyways, let's talk a little about that last post with as much seriousness as we can muster when talking about curlz.

Obviously, I based it off the warriors challenge. I made an arbitrary decision or two to get things set up. The information will probably be useful for anyone thinking of doing the challenge.

- I arbitrarily decided that my 1RM for curls was 120.

- I chose 50% of my 1RM because it provides the simplest math set # * 2 = reps that round. 3rd set? 6 reps. Can't remember what set you're on but remember you did 12 reps last time? You do 14 this time.

- Don't do something silly like a curl ladder, because you'll probably get to 12 and set really high standards for all your real lifts you won't get to 12 on.

There is no signature here.

An extended edition LOTR marathon needs to be had. I've only ever done it with the original theatrical release. I've done the Episodes 1-6 Star Wars Marathons a couple times so I think this bodes well for an LOTR extended cut.

GoT-GIF-3_zps69096c02.gif

I mean considering that 9 hours in you're still watching Fellowship of the Ring, watching all 3 on the same day is a really large commitment and really hard to do. We should all totally have an LOTR Group Watch.

I did the sick denial leading up to the Victoria Day long weekend. I was the guy sitting around a camp fire sneezing, wrapped in a blanket, drinking a beer, "I'm not sick! It's just allergies..."

That's the plan!

You could handle it. Fo sho.  I'm a dedicated watcher of things. Once I start I'm in it to win it.  I'm Laura and I binge watch.  :)

As a veteran of Trilogy Tuesday, and watching all 3 with commentary, the trick is to run/move a lot between each disk. 

I also totally forgot there were theatrical versions, interesting. not. 

Now I'm totally craving LOTR! 

Yesss! It's spreading!

no pants pictures? 

*pitches a tent*

lols, where's Loren?!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

So anyways, let's talk a little about that last post with as much seriousness as we can muster when talking about curlz.

Obviously, I based it off the warriors challenge. I made an arbitrary decision or two to get things set up. The information will probably be useful for anyone thinking of doing the challenge.

- I arbitrarily decided that my 1RM for curls was 120.

- I chose 50% of my 1RM because it provides the simplest math set # * 2 = reps that round. 3rd set? 6 reps. Can't remember what set you're on but remember you did 12 reps last time? You do 14 this time.

- Don't do something silly like a curl ladder, because you'll probably get to 12 and set really high standards for all your real lifts you won't get to 12 on.

I like it, especially arbitrarily deciding what your 1RM is. :) The other advantage of picking 50% of your 1RM is that you never have to go over the minimum volume with other numbers not quite matching up, which will be helpful for getting in more levels.

I like it, especially arbitrarily deciding what your 1RM is. :) The other advantage of picking 50% of your 1RM is that you never have to go over the minimum volume with other numbers not quite matching up, which will be helpful for getting in more levels.

I had to arbitrarily decide. I think I've curled 6 times in the last year, and none at all since like Feb? March? If I was doing this (spoiler alert - I did), I needed to pick a number. So I picked 120 because 50% of 120 allowed for multiple deloads. Things got difficult in and around rung 8, so I probably was relatively close to arbitrarily determining what my curl 1rm is.

I felt dirty just saying that.

The pants-off dance-off!  We had those, too.  I miss those days...

I'm in the same boat, MoC--I am really only just acclimating myself to 11, and now I'm trying not to get too invested.  Like that's gonna happen...

Don't let the announcement ruin your enjoyment of Eleven. MS had some really, really, really fucking brilliant bits of acting. Get invested, your life will be all the richer for it.

ayxIJ.gif

I had bacon just the other day. First time in like... two months?

^ imposter MusclesGlasses! *gasp*

I didn't even realize MusclesGlasses was a thing until you said it and I googled it and saw it really was a thing. A person, to be exact.

You could handle it. Fo sho.  I'm a dedicated watcher of things. Once I start I'm in it to win it.  I'm Laura and I binge watch.  :)

Yesss! It's spreading!

lols, where's Loren?!

Hi, my name's Rob and I also like to binge watch.

The problem isn't that I won't physically be able to sit still for 12h to watch it. I will. Easy peasy. The problem is finding 12 consecutive hours that I'm not busy or shouldn't be doing something else. Maybe my next deload week things will be less busy with school?

Don't let the announcement ruin your enjoyment of Eleven. MS had some really, really, really fucking brilliant bits of acting. Get invested, your life will be all the richer for it.

I second this. My heart will always belong to 9, but MS has done some very impressive work in his seasons, especially in the newest episodes from this past season. That finale was award worthy, and the great thing about the emotional roller coaster that is the Doctor is that we're all on it together.

I didn't even realize MusclesGlasses was a thing until you said it and I googled it and saw it really was a thing. A person, to be exact.

So... If you have hours to kill and you want to make yourself just a tiny bit less intelligent, look up Epic Meal Time on YouTube and that's where he lives. It's a bunch of Canadian frat guys (do they have frats in Canada? They sure do here...) that use bacon and jack Daniels to erect unholy gastronomic monstrosities. I feel like a worse human being when I watch one, but it's damn funny.

"I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul" -WEH

• Current Challenge: The 6 Labors
  • Level 5 Amazon Assassin

Day 4

Man 4 days into the challenge already? That means there's only 38 days left! Today's a dead lift day. It's supposted to be a dead lift deload day, but it's pretty much been deload year for dead lifts, so I'm totally skipping it. Plus. I didn't dead lift last week. So today I'm supposed to be confirming that my dead lift is 315 lbs as suspected. 

I haven't finished updating my dinner and snacks from yesterday into MFP, but I made some quick value judgements on the caloric amount and added it onto what I did record yesterday and I came up with +275. So we'll stick with that. Again, I didn't count beer. I was at a concert last night, so a beer was had. Twice in one week I had beer. This hasn't happened since... the Victoria Day long weekend? Lmfao.. No workouts yesterday but I did that arm thing yesterday. I'm not sore at all today which leads me to believe that I was probably a pussy yesterday.

It's fine though, cause like I said, dead lifts. And more dead lifts. And Kroc Rows. I'm curious to see how the Kroc Rows are going to point up. I've noticed fitocracy is biased towards higher bar weight than higher rep count for higher point totals, but I haven't done anything that could really be counted high rep until recently. For example yesterday:

50lbs at 19 Reps gave me 18 points.

45lbs at 32 Reps gave me 19 points.

That's a volume difference of 500lbs and it was worth 1 point.

I think Fitocracy might be further biased against sets above 10 reps because even though it'll be more work, a set of 10 and a set of 15 at the same weight will have the set of 10 worth more points.

And I'm planning sets of 20-25 for kroc rows.

EDITED TO ADD

Rather than guess, I decided to just show you:

tumblr_mnziluRTeP1s1si01o1_250.png

1 set of 25 reps is worth 42 points.

5 sets of 5 reps is worth 150 points.

I was still logging things in Fitocracy the first time I did the 50/50 challenge and I think it wouldn't let me enter that many reps at all. Fitocracy has issues; really difficult BW exercises have crap for points because they aren't loaded.

When I stopped logging in Fitocracy it was because I wanted to look back just a little over a month prior and couldn't. I got an "oops we don't have data going back that far". For long term tracking purposes that renders it pretty useless.

That's crazy. Of course, being a part of the RH beta I can see that it's not always super easy to get the algorithms right.

Whether I agree with it or not, they're basing their algorithm on diminishing returns (what's the point of lifting 45lbs 32 times when you can just lift 165 twice?) so their algorithm isn't necessarily wrong, it just doesn't reflect the whole picture. There's really only limited circumstances where it actually "matters" how many points you get per set. I'm a little bit of a spade because figuring out the mechanics and limitations of the game system allow me to shine bright like a diamond. (and I swear on my life that's not a link to a rihanna thing).

Knowing that having a larger quantity of sets at lower reps with heavy weights will maximize the point output will surely influence the way MP and I conduct our arm workouts now.

There's a lot of gamers out there who are Achievers and I think even the Wikipedia article points it out that Xbox achievements and PS3 Trophies are the enablers of the achiever's crack. I mean, it's pathetic because I don't have time to video game often, but when I look at my gamerscore for the few games I have, I put my game face on and try and knock a few down...

What's your playstyle, he asks the ubersocializer in the game of NF... Lol

LOL! Yeah you know me. Although I think I do have bits of all the others. I definitely like exploring shit - I hate having blank spots on my map. Like when I play Civ? I have my people and my boats go in an optimal pattern so they get rid of all the black spots, but do so in a manner that's most efficient.

I also do like completing things and getting achievements. Mr Mir has been playing more vidya games than me lately, and even though I completed Skyrim (SO LONG), he has a higher gamerscore than me...and considering I am more of a hardcore gamer than he is...I hung my head in shame.

There were also some aspects of the Killer I saw, but that one I would say is on the low end. If I took the test I imagine I would get mostly socializer, then, achiever, then explorer (or maybe vice versa?) and then killer. :D

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

LOL! Yeah you know me. Although I think I do have bits of all the others. I definitely like exploring shit - I hate having blank spots on my map. Like when I play Civ? I have my people and my boats go in an optimal pattern so they get rid of all the black spots, but do so in a manner that's most efficient.

I also do like completing things and getting achievements. Mr Mir has been playing more vidya games than me lately, and even though I completed Skyrim (SO LONG), he has a higher gamerscore than me...and considering I am more of a hardcore gamer than he is...I hung my head in shame.

There were also some aspects of the Killer I saw, but that one I would say is on the low end. If I took the test I imagine I would get mostly socializer, then, achiever, then explorer (or maybe vice versa?) and then killer. :D

I still haven't played Civ (gasp!) but this is 100% something I would do.

And I looked at that, but I couldn't find a category that suits me.  Maybe because I've never played an MMORPG.  RPG yes.  RTS yes.  FPS sometimes (helps with RPG elements a la Borderlands).  

I think Killer might suit me best...I enjoy being efficient and translating that to being brutally efficient.  In RTS I like to have solid static defenses then develop an army that is simple yet well-rounded and crush all enemies in one push (though sometimes reinforcements are needed).  I am not a rusher.  RPG I like to use strategy to be able to crush things while barely flinching.  I prefer not grinding because ain't nobody got time fo' dat but am willing to if it will lead to a move/item that gives me a big advantage.  And FPS I tend to explore.  Especially with Borderlands 2.  I love just seeing what there is that I can find, often coming on areas I'm not meant to go yet with the story.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Oh hey look, dead lift workout!

DEAD LIFT

Reps Weight

5 95

3 135

1 185

1 225

1 265

1 295

1 320

So that means we adjust the spreadsheet to reflect that I pulled 320 in actuality rather than 315.

Dead lift 3 x 10

I was initially going to do a 5x10 but I figure that since I don't really do volume workouts typically before now, I should take her light anyway.

• Kroc Rows(300pts):
    • 40 lb x 8 reps (+33 pts)
    • 45 lb x 8 reps (+34 pts)
    • 50 lb x 8 reps (+36 pts)
    • 55 lb x 8 reps (+37 pts)
    • 60 lb x 8 reps (+38 pts)
    • 65 lb x 8 reps (+39 pts)
    • 70 lb x 8 reps (+41 pts)
    • 75 lb x 8 reps (+42 pts)

I cannot tell you how many hours I've lost exploring the corners to clear the fog. I hate fog.

I still haven't played Civ (gasp!) but this is 100% something I would do.

And I looked at that, but I couldn't find a category that suits me.  Maybe because I've never played an MMORPG.  RPG yes.  RTS yes.  FPS sometimes (helps with RPG elements a la Borderlands).  

I think Killer might suit me best...I enjoy being efficient and translating that to being brutally efficient.  In RTS I like to have solid static defenses then develop an army that is simple yet well-rounded and crush all enemies in one push (though sometimes reinforcements are needed).  I am not a rusher.  RPG I like to use strategy to be able to crush things while barely flinching.  I prefer not grinding because ain't nobody got time fo' dat but am willing to if it will lead to a move/item that gives me a big advantage.  And FPS I tend to explore.  Especially with Borderlands 2.  I love just seeing what there is that I can find, often coming on areas I'm not meant to go yet with the story.

I don't think that anyone fits into a single category perfectly and it will tend to be more of a spectrum anyway. I say I'm an Achiever because I play for my score, but the first thing I do when I crack the plastic on a new game is clear the fog and explore all the corners - figure out any obvious advantages and limitations. If it's that sort of game, I become a pretty efficient Killer in a way that supports my playstyle, but that's predominantly because a dead enemy makes for experience/items/points/whatever makes for a better character makes for faster achievements.

I blame my explorer tendencies on Super Mario Bros. Figuring out where the warps are were an important part of conducting competitive SMB speed runs.

I am so far behind on video game things.  The last game I played to completion?  Do you really want to know?  The SSI Krynn games.  Seriously.

Anyone know of any new(ish) games like those?  I liked those games a lot.

I'm one of those people who struggles to meet their protein goals.  I simply do not have the appetite to eat a pound of beef a day.  I can eat a lot of pasta, but that isn't going to get me to my protein goals on a deficit.  So I chug along.  Some days are better than others.

I am so far behind on video game things.  The last game I played to completion?  Do you really want to know?  The SSI Krynn games.  Seriously.

Anyone know of any new(ish) games like those?  I liked those games a lot.

I'm one of those people who struggles to meet their protein goals.  I simply do not have the appetite to eat a pound of beef a day.  I can eat a lot of pasta, but that isn't going to get me to my protein goals on a deficit.  So I chug along.  Some days are better than others.

Ive never played a video game to completion. I will invent my own fantasy..

sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Ive never played a video game to completion. I will invent my own fantasy.. sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

me neither.

i'm bad at video games.

Hi, my name's Rob and I also like to binge watch.

The problem isn't that I won't physically be able to sit still for 12h to watch it. I will. Easy peasy. The problem is finding 12 consecutive hours that I'm not busy or shouldn't be doing something else. Maybe my next deload week things will be less busy with school?

i binge watch too. that's what i miss about getting sick. you have to binge watch something.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines