Chapter 3: The Long Road Back (Rob's Challenge)

Rob__

Day 5

Hi kids! We're sitting on the couch watching the Blue Jays stomp all over the Texas Rangers. In honour of their stomping all over Texas, I made BBQ (ish) for dinner. There was nary a charcoal to be found because I used the gas grill. BUT, I still threw a bunch of chips on top of the plates and got me some smoke anyway. So what did I make? Bacon wrapped meatloaf*

2261e524cfd711e286b922000a9f14cd_7.jpg

*As you can see this wasn't really a meatloaf. I had a bunch of thinly sliced veal cutlets lying around, so I slathered some bbq sauce on them and rolled it up. And then bacon wrapped it. So I guess since it's a rolled up loaf of meat it's a meat loaf... but yeah. Fuck you.

I also went for all you can eat sushi today. So while I'm going to write a 0 in the tracking spreadsheet for today because there's no way I'll be able to even estimate a caloric intake for the day... know that I ate a metric fuckton of food. This BBQ was only because of baseball. I had dinner before I made this little slice of delicious for snack.

I'm going to be doing the workout shortly. The Jays are almost done stomping on the Rangers. It's 6-1 in the bottom of the 8th and the boys in blue are playing at home. I mean, I don't even give a fuck anymore that they're in the bottom of the AL East.... Oh hey. I'm glad it's the weekend, and after the bullshit I'm about to put them through, my arms probably will too.

I'm coming for you Maxie...

There is no signature here.

Meat loaf <3

How long did you have it on the grill for?

It was on the grill for just a pinch less than 1h45. I wanted to cook it a little slower for a little longer, but my little packets of wood chips wouldn't smoke unless the temperature was a little higher. I'm trying to solutionize it to get it to smoke proper at a bit of a lower temperature.

I cooked it off the grill plates (I didn't put it down on the grill plates and raised it up on the wire rack) so it would cook a little slower/more evenly. Because the time wasn't quite as long as I wanted it to be, the smoke flavour didn't appear to penetrate as deeply as I would have liked. We'll see how it is today.

I saw that on my instagram this morning before I ate breakfast and it just about killed me. Hangries appeared.

I'm going to have the rest of it for breakfast with my eggs.

Whereas I love veal. Veal cutlets and veal chops a plenty in our freezer. Growing up, steak meant we were having veal chops.

I'm sure it would work with other thinly sliced meats also.

This veal talk made me think of the south park episode fun with veal. That's the episode where cartman digest cruelty free veal is less tender due to the absence of years to Tenderize the meat...

Day 6

I'm on my tablet, so please excuse my autocorrect and lack of formatting. It will probably make for a hilariously terrible read.

It's Saturday. I'm still a little bit empty inside because no new Who. I simultaneously am waiting and dreading November 23st. It cannot come soon enough but will be here before I'm ready.I'm only being a little post-traumatic. In the spirit of bad autocorrect leaving, that should say over dramatic. It would be more like pre traumatic at this point.

Today's a rest day. My arms are perfectly fine today. The biceps and the triceps are significantly lacking in the sore department. But I need to take a rest day. I technically haven't had one in like 9 straight workouts.

So I think I'm formulating an attack plan for arm workout related stuff to simultaneously punish them and Max. If I tell you guys what it is, MP will hear too and then he'll just be able to plot against me! It's a pretty elegant, and subtly complex plan I formulated over the last 3 workouts.

I'm so glad deload week is over. I mean, I haven't really deloaded much because because except for squat day and bench day, I had the sores every day. And I didn't take a day off. But it'll be nice to lift heavy again.

Today's a body maintenance day. A little floss to the elbow and wrist. Some stretching, beck maybe even some yoga! There's going to be a bunch of good eating and tracking today. I'm aiming for over 4000 Calories today to get some good recovery nutrienting. I'm out of whey and probably won't be getting any until Monday so we're going to see if we can track 250-300g protein today without the addition of whey. I don't expect it to be super hard. I like meat. But I'll try not to drink too much milk for the paleo people trying to get a lot in without whey and milk.

When I stopped logging in Fitocracy it was because I wanted to look back just a little over a month prior and couldn't. I got an "oops we don't have data going back that far". For long term tracking purposes that renders it pretty useless.

Whether I agree with it or not, they're basing their algorithm on diminishing returns (what's the point of lifting 45lbs 32 times when you can just lift 165 twice?) so their algorithm isn't necessarily wrong, it just doesn't reflect the whole picture. There's really only limited circumstances where it actually "matters" how many points you get per set. I'm a little bit of a spade because figuring out the mechanics and limitations of the game system allow me to shine bright like a diamond. (and I swear on my life that's not a link to a rihanna thing).

Knowing that having a larger quantity of sets at lower reps with heavy weights will maximize the point output will surely influence the way MP and I conduct our arm workouts now.

It doesn't matter, you've gotten the song stuck in my head anyway. Bad Rob!

Also, you now have me craving sushi. And wanting to tweak my own tracking spreadsheet a bit.

Eth - Level 8 Breton Warrior

STR 24.5 | DEX 9 | STA 20.5 | CON 13 | WIS 10.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: The Warrior Within | Fitocracy

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

Meat loaf looks similar to the bacon explosion.  Mmmmmm.  Bacon.

tumblr_lxpamtIGCM1rn95k2o1_250.gif

The bacon explosion was my inspiration. I was looking at a freezer full of cuts of beef for steak and some thinly sliced veal cutlets and what I really wanted was a nice brisket or something to throw on the grill and smoke. Then I was like "man, I wish I had enough bacon and ground pork..." and then I was like "OR I COULD JUST ROLL UP ALL THOSE VEAL CUTLETS AND WRAP IT IN BACON AND SMOKE THAT". 

So that's what I did.

Probably a lot less fatty and caloric than the bacon explosion. That things like, 900 calories per serving... And I can never eat just one serving.

It doesn't matter, you've gotten the song stuck in my head anyway. Bad Rob!

Also, you now have me craving sushi. And wanting to tweak my own tracking spreadsheet a bit.

I was gonna say "what song" but it got stuck in my head cause I realized what post it was you had quoted. So under a video for one of her songs or some interview for one of her songs, they called her Barbadian and I read it as Barbarian and couldn't figure out how her D&D character was involved until I read it again. She's looked super strung out on heroin when I've seen performance videos (eg. when she was doing Diamonds on SNL in front of the green screen... she looked so strung out she could barely bounce her knees to her singing), so I knew they weren't saying she was on a rampage like a barbarian....

I always have myself craving sushi. I go relatively frequently and my friend and I are starting to have a standing 2 week ayce sushi date.

Damn, was totally hoping for more embarrassing auto-corrects, there's no material to make fun of you on. :(

You missed it. But it was unobvious. And I've already fixed it now.

Day 7

Week 1 is in the bag after today. How's everyone's week gone so far? Mine's gone pretty decently. As of yesterday evening, to be on track for the eating, I should have ingested 3900 Calories for the A and 3000 for the B. According to my spreadsheet, I'm at 3409. This is in part because I was over by almost 1,500 calories thanks to an entire package of Lays Stax BBQ and about 4oz of peanuts that I ate while playing Skyrim until almost 6am.

For all those wondering, Prisoner is now level 18. He's also the Arch-Mage of the College of Winterhold. Prisoner's currently married to Marcurio because that bitch Lydia got herself killed. He's starting to get annoyed with Marcurio complaining every time we do an inventory exchange and Marcurio not really selling anything useful. Prisoner was grumbling last night about how he was gonna ditch him in a dungeon full of draugr. This way it prevents him from having to ask for Marcurio's key to Breezehome back..

I got to 253g of protein yesterday sans any protein powder. I drank almost a half-gallon of milk though and MFP puts that at 38g of protein. So I got almost 220 without whey or milk. Here's the link to the food log: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/rmoli082?date=2013-06-08. If you're offended by people saying the eat healthy and then eat chips and bad Chinese take-out, you probably shouldn't click that link. It would be like fainting when you see blood and walking in on a murder scene...

Today's another rest day. Because yesterday I rested also. But today's going to be a better rest day than yesterday because I'm going to get more sleep than I did this am for a few hours. Tomorrow starts week 2 and we start with Squat Day, so everyone knows what that means... Rob's climbing the squat ladder tomorrow. I did a little voodoo on my elbows and wrists. My elbows felt super loose afterwards, but my left wrist and elbow are still feeling pretty hot today, so I'll probably floss them again today and get some ankle/heel chord, knee and hip mobbing in to prep for tomorrow's destruction. My 1RM is 330 and I'm starting off with 50% (165lbs) so it's following the typical 2,4,6,8,etc. progression of reps vs. sets. I'm entirely unconvinced I'll make it to 12, even if I reduce and reduce, so I'm exploring airfare options so I can fly someone up to punch me in the taint...

My arms are even less sore than they were yesterday. You'd think there wasn't an arm death PVP. Max has been gone all weekend. He's probably going to come back on Monday with 2500 points of weekend workouts that I'll have to catch up on. The real reason he hasn't been around isn't because he's busy at work. That's the total bullshit smokescreen reason. He's busy with curling and bear punching workouts.

I am so far behind on video game things.  The last game I played to completion?  Do you really want to know?  The SSI Krynn games.  Seriously.

Anyone know of any new(ish) games like those?  I liked those games a lot.

I'm one of those people who struggles to meet their protein goals.  I simply do not have the appetite to eat a pound of beef a day.  I can eat a lot of pasta, but that isn't going to get me to my protein goals on a deficit.  So I chug along.  Some days are better than others.

Dude, Super Mario Bros.  So, don't feel too bad :P

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I'm one of those people who struggles to meet their protein goals.  I simply do not have the appetite to eat a pound of beef a day.  I can eat a lot of pasta, but that isn't going to get me to my protein goals on a deficit.  So I chug along.  Some days are better than others.

How do you feel about dairy? Cottage cheese will give you 24-30g per cup (~160-200 calories depending on how much fat) and I find that I can eat more of it than I can meat, though some of its calories go to carbs which is not the case with meat, so you may find it less efficient because of that. Three cups of cottage cheese gives you about the same amount of protein as a pound of beef.

I get super annoyed with followers, they always get in the way when I'm trying to sneak around or jump in front of me just as I loose an arrow.  I bet MP is curling and punching bears at the same time, you know, for the extra cardio. 

Marcurio's not too bad because I play closer than he does. But usually he'll draw aggro and I'll side or rear flank. If I need to sneak or assassinate, I leave him at home.

My big problem is when you carefully avoid a trap in a dungeon that they just barrel right over.

Man, I just looked and saw he still hasn't posted and I'm like: He's totally got the day off work and has been in the forest curling and punching bears ALL MORNING. It's terrifying him not being here yet.

Or he's just posting later so I have less time to figure out my arm workout.

Dude, Super Mario Bros.  So, don't feel too bad :tongue:

Every couple months I still go back and play that game to completion. Mario 3, Mario World, Mario 64 and Mario Wii as well. Except those last 4 I haven't played in a very long time.

My NES is a little battered, but it still works. Some psycho I used to live with got mad at me and put a stiletto through the side of the casing, otherwise it would still be perfect. I got it in 1989? Custy bitch...

How do you feel about dairy? Cottage cheese will give you 24-30g per cup (~160-200 calories depending on how much fat) and I find that I can eat more of it than I can meat, though some of its calories go to carbs which is not the case with meat, so you may find it less efficient because of that. Three cups of cottage cheese gives you about the same amount of protein as a pound of beef.

Cottage cheese is something I dislike. I can't get my tongue around the taste of it. Which is unfortunate because of how super high in protein it is. I can't make my tastebuds like it enough.

They're starting to like avogago though. Nothing earth shattering, I just probably shouldn't call it avogago anymore though.

Dude, Super Mario Bros.  So, don't feel too bad :tongue:

None.  Nada.  Zilcho...I swore off computer games in the 80's as a time waster...  (yes, they did exist back then)

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Man I miss 80s video games. I wish I still had a working Atari...

Now I sound like Royalton from the Speed Racer Movie: "I still remember working all night on the Commodore 64 in the basement of my foster parents home..." Go, Speed Racer, Go!

Day 8

There's probably going to be a weekly summary post appearing somewhere after this one, at some point after this one. I might write it while I'm lying on the floor after the squat ladder today. Yep, today's squat day, so if you don't hear from me after this post, I'm probably lying crippled somewhere in between my squat rack and my computer. 

So I've decided my food has gotten extra super fast lately. Yesterday became a very different day than it was supposed to. My friend ended up hosting a Game of Thrones "marathon" because we had not seen the last like... 2 episodes and the finale was last night. My plan had been to catchup at home, but my friend decided to have a thing. So a lot of snacking outside of the little bit I tracked was had. Oh. And I ate an entire medium pizza also. Today's not going much better. I woke up late so had to grab McD's or starve during class. This has been happening a lot lately, so I'm sure there'll be some sort of game plan formulated today. The problem with a McD's based diet is that 1500 calories later, I'm still fucking hungry.

On the agenda for today:

1) Squat Ladder.

2) Die.

So this is what my "projection" for the squat ladder is:

My 1RM is 330. I'll be starting off with 50% of that so 165.

Rung Weight Reps Volume Weight Reps Weight Reps

1           165      2       330        

2           165      4       660        

3           165      6       990        

4           165      8      1320        

5           165     10     1650        

6           165     12     1980        

7           165     14     2310        

8           165     16     2640        

9           165     18     2970      145    21    

10         165     20     3300      145    23    

11         165     22     3630      145    26      135    27

12         165     24     3960      145    28      135    30

The last couple rungs already have some alterations pre-planned.

From Fitocracy:

• Barbell Squat:
    • 165 lb x 2 reps (+54 pts)
    • 165 lb x 4 reps (+73 pts)
    • 165 lb x 6 reps (+85 pts)
    • 165 lb x 8 reps (+91 pts)
    • 165 lb x 10 reps (+95 pts)
    • 165 lb x 12 reps (+97 pts)
    • 165 lb x 14 reps (+100 pts)
    • 165 lb x 15 reps (+101 pts)
    • 165 lb x 18 reps (+104 pts)
    • 165 lb x 20 reps (+106 pts)
    • 165 lb x 22 reps (+108 pts)
    • 165 lb x 24 reps (+110 pts)
    • 165 lb x 26 reps (+112 pts)
    • 14:20 start. 15:23 finish.

I'm going to go die now.

Oh hey, according to Excel that's 30,030lbs moved.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines